1st Hand Advise Needed - Fazer 170 Boat (somewhat urgent)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 1st Hand Advise Needed - Fazer 170 Boat (somewhat urgent)

Evening Guys

I'm looking at the above, Fazer 17 foot with 115 V4 Yamaha (2stroke).

Boat is in mint nick, hull and engine 55 Hours.

Anyone has a similar rig??

Looking at a 17 footer, Yamaha only boat. My ideal would have been a wet deck thingy, but nou ja.

My BIGGEST issue here - will this rig be OK for slalom skiing??

We can kick out if needed, nice to start with one slalom, but I'm 100, my one son 115 and the youngest is 85.

But will this rug maintain a decent speed with a slalom behind?

PLEASE air your opinion, I need to tell the Seller yay or nay tomorrow.

..........Then : It has a 17" prop, will a 15" be a worthwhile mod for more " out of the pot " acceleration??

THANKS
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

Default Re: 1st Hand Advise Needed - Fazer 170 Boat (somewhat urgent)

Some info.

that Yamaha 115 V4 is a beautiful motor. I have the 130 version which is identical apart from the bore.

Don't underprop, the 17" is perfect for that rig. If you underprop you face the risk of over revving. If I am not mistaken the WOT rpm of that motor is 5 600 rpm. At altitude you will lose a couple of hundred rpm so if you are around 5 400 to 5 600rpm you prop is perfect. At 15" you will face cavitation problems which will lose you hole shot.

I have just fitted Nautilus Trim Tabs to my boat which improved the "hole shot" significantly. So if you are light there are some work arounds.

I am not a skier so no advice there
    Last edited by Andrew Leigh; 2021/01/07 at 09:50 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

Thanks Andrew

Yes I'm sort of moving away from that 19/20/21 foot, 200 HP rigs - the 17 is just SO easy to launch/tow/handle, and I think the power/weight balance on a 17 feet with a 115 is really very close to, say, a 19 foot with a 150.

Had a 115 on a Unique 520 , owned that boat for about 8/9 years, NEVER skipped a beat.....so, Yamaha it definitely is, for me anyway.

In 2 strokes, Yamaha has sort of limited choices though......115, 130, 150v6 and 200. The grey Enduro Yammies, I wont touch a black engine (VMax).

The 130........were there issues with them??

I have checked the service manual. Was quoting the rpm for the 130hp. the 115 runs at between 4 500 and 5 500rpm depending on altitude. There is a rule of thumb for rpm loss for every 1000ft above sea level.

I had the 115 on my 17' Miami, never a problem and now my 130 on a 18'5" never had problems with either. About 10 years on the 115hp and the same on the 130hp.

You could consider a 4 blade prop which will give better hole shot and power at the expense of top end speed.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

Checking the manual the bore on the 115 and 130 is identical. I'll bet it is simply jetting and ignition timing that makes up the difference. Phone a Yamaha mechanic and see if it is possible to rejet to 130 spec's. I know the jest are hard to find. Worth a shot.

Hi Petri,

Fazers are good hulls and the 115 Yamaha is bulletproof. It may struggle pulling out a 115kg person on a slalom (Get someone to sit in front when pulling them out to get the boat to plane faster) but once up to speed you will be fine.

What Andrew has stated about the the props is spot on. 4 blade would probably be a good option.

Curious as to why you say you wouldn't touch a Vmax? My father in law has had the same 200 Vmax on the back of 2 separate Panache 1850 hulls for the better part of 15 years and has never given a days trouble. They are however, quite thirsty.
    Tyrone Ferguson

2010 Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4 AT

Up until I sold it about 7 years ago, I had a 17 foot Viking Carrera with a Mariner 115HP, used up here on the Highveld (mostly Buffelspoort dam). 17 inch prop, 3-blade. At about 95kg and a reasonable skier, it would take a fair amount of effort to pull me out on one ski. No problem on two skis, but I could never get used to dropping a ski; besides it's a pain to go and retrieve a ski unless you drop near the bank and somebody on shore retrieves it for you. Or the dam/river is empty of other boats so there's no danger of someone running over the ski.

So unless you get the prop combination right, you might battle to pull someone of 115kg out on one ski with a 115HP motor. Any chance you can try before you buy
    Rob Kirk

Amarok V6.
    Sym 200 scooter 2 x 1, CVT transmission, 4V OHC, 11.4 kW, 15NM
    0-60km/h in about 10s (downhill), Top speed - 100km/h (on a steeper downhill)
    Ground clearance : 125mm on 16-inch rims
    Tare : 134kg, GVM : 250kg (approx), GCM : 250kg (approx), Towing capacity : 0kg
    Best of all : 4L/100km, town driving and pinning it...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    You could consider a 4 blade prop which will give better hole shot and power at the expense of top end speed.

I have no experience with a 4-blade prop, but this sounds like it might solve the 115/115 problem
    Rob Kirk

Amarok V6.
    Sym 200 scooter 2 x 1, CVT transmission, 4V OHC, 11.4 kW, 15NM
    0-60km/h in about 10s (downhill), Top speed - 100km/h (on a steeper downhill)
    Ground clearance : 125mm on 16-inch rims
    Tare : 134kg, GVM : 250kg (approx), GCM : 250kg (approx), Towing capacity : 0kg
    Best of all : 4L/100km, town driving and pinning it...

Hi Petri,

We have a Fazer (I think its actually 16ft though). We bought it brand new about 15 years ago and it now only has 250hrs on it (its still stock as rock). Its got the Yamaha V4 130hp 2-stroke motor on it, 3 blade prop (not sure of the size, but its been trimmed by a few stones over the years ). I have taught countless people to ski, wakeboard, kneeboard, tube, drive you name it on this boat over the years.

The 130 has awesome punch and the fazer really cruises (I can reach close to 90kph with just me in the boat on good water and it gets there very very rapidly), but it has a few quirks. It does not like to put in a straight line (play in the mechanical steering), it's easily affected by weight distribution (leans to one side), and it does not like turning the wrong way (clockwise) at speed. Its also very heavy on fuel, about 1km per liter at times when hard skiing or tubing. I turned the passenger seat around to face the skiing bunch.

On the other hand it turns beautifully anticlockwise and it almost goes into a flat spin if you really chuck it around hard (its awesome). My one brother is around 105kg and it pulls him out with ease on the slalom (the torque of the 2 stroke is awesome).

The motor has asked for nothing but fuel, oil, sparks and services over the last 15 years.

Cheers

For water skiing I have found that around 150HP is about the minimum. With a 115 you are always going to make sure that everyone sits in the right place and you will struggle with a slalom skier if there is a bit of a load in the boat. Next is the size of the boat, 17ft boats tend to be narrower and move around quite a bit when pulling a slalom skier. The larger boats also plane a lot easier which also makes them more suitable for skiing. I would really rather get an 18 - 19ft boat with anything between a 150 and 200, it is just so much more enjoyable.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TOY4X4 For This Useful Post:

I don't think you could go wrong with this, I have this exact same rig, hours probably about the same. The difference between the 115HP & 130HP engines is purely that the 115HP version uses a carburetor while the 130 is fuel-injected.

With 2-5 people on board, I never once battled pulling any skiers, slalom or not, never even entered my mind that I could not and simply floored the throttle and away we went. This was at our local Dam and also at the Vaal River Boating Club, near Orkney.

Sadly, for various reasons I have not touched my boats for 6 years now, they are parked here at home and I sold my cottages at the boat club.

-F_D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fazer Boat 020.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	518.0 KB 
ID:	601596   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fazer Boat 048.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	448.1 KB 
ID:	601597   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fazer Boat 059.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	594.1 KB 
ID:	601598   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fazer Boat 086.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	621.3 KB 
ID:	601599  
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Family_Dog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Family_Dog View Post
    I don't think you could go wrong with this, I have this exact same rig, hours probably about the same. The difference between the 115HP & 130HP engines is purely that the 115HP version uses a carburetor while the 130 is fuel-injected.

With 2-5 people on board, I never once battled pulling any skiers, slalom or not, never even entered my mind that I could not and simply floored the throttle and away we went. This was at our local Dam and also at the Vaal River Boating Club, near Orkney.

Sadly, for various reasons I have not touched my boats for 6 years now, they are parked here at home and I sold my cottages at the boat club.

-F_D
    Sell it to Petri .

My 130 has carbs?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carbs with oil.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	601613
    Last edited by Andrew Leigh; 2021/01/08 at 12:07 PM.

Petri I remember you previously posting your sons' weights and I thought at the time that they are are large units.

My personal opinion from owning an older generation 115HP on a 16ft Miami Sport is that it battles to get a larger skier on slalom out of the water, especially at altitude.
    Andrew Beuster

Amarok milk bottle

"So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

My feeling is that you will not get out the water with that rig. I had a 17foot mallards classic with a 200Yahama and that would get me out the water. I am in the mid 90's. My friend (similar size) could also not get out from behind his boat, a 5ltr mercruiser on a sensation dam boat so we used to use mine for skiing. The mercruiser had very slow acceleration while a 2 stroke 200 fairly jumped out the water.

On a slalom, the skier will be controlling both the speed and direction of the boat if they are getting any kind of edge on the ski, especially if they are built heavily, and I suspect they are at the sort of masses you are talking. Ideally you need at least an 18ft boat and 200Hp+ for slalom skiing. And then you are using the boat at altitude which makes things worse.

I face the same conundrum. My little rubber duck was super easy to tow and launch, but it was crap spending a whole day fishing on it. My ski boat seems to weigh as much as a small dwarf star, is best launched with a tractor, but is much more comfortable for everything once on the water.

Your light small boat will be great behind the car, but crap at everything you want it to do in the water i suspect.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Had the 150 Yammie on various vessels from Ribs to a Raven hull.
    Minimum to pull me out on one ski weighed about 110kg.
    Only issue, cdi unit popped. New one all was good again.

Quote Originally Posted by TOY4X4 View Post
    For water skiing I have found that around 150HP is about the minimum. With a 115 you are always going to make sure that everyone sits in the right place and you will struggle with a slalom skier if there is a bit of a load in the boat. Next is the size of the boat, 17ft boats tend to be narrower and move around quite a bit when pulling a slalom skier. The larger boats also plane a lot easier which also makes them more suitable for skiing. I would really rather get an 18 - 19ft boat with anything between a 150 and 200, it is just so much more enjoyable.
    This sums it up nicely and skiing aside, nothing better than a lekker booze cruise with space!

The exception, what we did on a low budget many, many years ago (mid80's as students and avid skiiers), took a Malibu hull, stripped absolutely everything out of it (carpets-upholstery-rear deck partitioning etc), except 1x drivers seat and plonked a sand bag in the passenger side for stability. Fitted with a 90HP Yamaha with a power prop and a low but extremely solid pole in the middle of the middle of the boat, to spread the forces when slaloming.
    was a gem of a rig, we even used it for club championchips!

ironically saw one on gumtree: https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-boats-je...50910182663809

Thanks for all Inputs Guys.

I pulled the sneller here, my 2 boys just left to pick it up in Springs.

Also already ordered a 4 blade 17" prop, apparently that makes a difference especially "out of the pot".

I just feel I cant let this go at the Price I'm paying......it's a 2 owner from new rig, with 56 hours on the whole unit (was bought as complete "package" at the time).

Also has nice little extras - removable table in the bow, (expensive!!) clip-off Motor Guide trolling motor at the front, and s/steel clip-off little bass seat on the transom.

Jomar (the suspect in question here) maybe slaloms 6/7 times a year, he is actually more keen on trick skiing, wakeboard etc etc nowadays. IF he slaloms with this, he'll just then kick out.

Sev and Bea and Elzar (ek het moer baie kinders) are all OK with that 115. Me too, I just HATE starting with a single ski, I almost drown each time I try, whether its a 50 or 500 HO anyway.

So........for 90% of the time this would work well I think.

For that other 10% I'll sommer borrow my boathouse neighbour's 200 Merc........

Lekker bootjie dink ek, maar ja, daar is sekere goed wat jy NIE met hom gaan regkry nie.

Amper soos 'n Amarok...............

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dieterf View Post
    This sums it up nicely and skiing aside, nothing better than a lekker booze cruise with space!

The exception, what we did on a low budget many, many years ago (mid80's as students and avid skiiers), took a Malibu hull, stripped absolutely everything out of it (carpets-upholstery-rear deck partitioning etc), except 1x drivers seat and plonked a sand bag in the passenger side for stability. Fitted with a 90HP Yamaha with a power prop and a low but extremely solid pole in the middle of the middle of the boat, to spread the forces when slaloming.
    was a gem of a rig, we even used it for club championchips!

ironically saw one on gumtree: https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-boats-je...50910182663809
    LOL, in my student days we did very similar with a Mini Raven with a 90 Mariner.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to TOY4X4 For This Useful Post:

Bought this one...........Pics are a bit dated, its really SUPER clean. Price outdated, too......

Trolling motor clips off completely, also the table etc etc.

Not crazy about that purple windscreen maar toemaar wat.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-boats-je...80911445382309
    Last edited by Petri Oosthuizen; 2021/01/08 at 12:52 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast