Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Am I going to be forced to buy a Fortuner?

I have decided that 2021 will be the year that I replace my 2008 Triton 3.2DiD 4x4 which I have owned for 10 years. The bakkie has been an absolute pleasure to own and has not given me a single problem. Only regular maintenance done on it and lots of memories made with it.

The wife wants a 7 seater to suit our family and I really like the new Pajero Sport 4x4.

The problem is, it is really hard to find a 2016 Pajero Sport 4x4 with around 50K to 70K kms on for around R400 000. And the few that are around are usually far away from me (Cape Town).

Fortuners, however abound. Pick and choose in that category and price class. Right now there are three possibilities within 25km of my house. We donít really want a Fortuner, mainly because it feels like every second person we know drives one. And the other half are Hilux owners.

I guess I just want to bemoan the scewed South African market where an excellent product like the Pajero Sport is not popular at all because people are klapped over the head with Toyota.
    2017 Pajero Sport 4x4
    ...living the gift that is life!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jo Toast For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Am I going to be forced to buy a Fortuner?

Once a Mitsu-family always a Mitsu-family
    See a 2016 PS 116k km R330k at Motorport Bayside, reputable dealer, are you in Kenridge?
    https://www.motorportbayside.co.za/used-vehicles
    SJ 413 - "98 model coily, until son gets license
    Mitsubishi Triton DC 3.2 A/T 4X4
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D SOLD

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Johan Engelbrecht For This Useful Post:

Hi Johan

Jip, Iím in Kenridge.

I saw that one that you mentioned. But itís an old shape. I typically drive a car for ten years, so I really need to try and get the new shape if I can afford it.

Thatís also the reason why Iím not considering the Everest - just too many stories around of those engines going bang for me to be comfortable keeping it around out of warranty.
    2017 Pajero Sport 4x4

Prado??

Especially V6??

Just asking
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

Good question, Petri.

I definitely considered the Prado V6. But in my price class it would have to be quite an old one (around 2012) with high mileage.

Also, I understand it is quite heavy on fuel - especially when towing.

But if a nice one comes my way at a good price, I would certainly consider it.
    2017 Pajero Sport 4x4

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jo Toast For This Useful Post:

Sorry, just noticed I'm punting a Toyota on a Mitsu Thread
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Sorry, just noticed I'm punting a Toyota on a Mitsu Thread
    Not really🤔

Please don't allow distance to the car you want to get in the way. Don't buy something you don't want because it is near.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

But what about a nice Pajero Gen4 lwb? I'm sure you'll find a beautiful example with not too many km's on it for R400k? Alternatively, ask your nearest Mitsubishi dealer to notify you of any used 2.4 PS's for sale.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Toast View Post
    I have decided that 2021 will be the year that I replace my 2008 Triton 3.2DiD 4x4 which I have owned for 10 years. The bakkie has been an absolute pleasure to own and has not given me a single problem. Only regular maintenance done on it and lots of memories made with it.

The wife wants a 7 seater to suit our family and I really like the new Pajero Sport 4x4.

The problem is, it is really hard to find a 2016 Pajero Sport 4x4 with around 50K to 70K kms on for around R400 000. And the few that are around are usually far away from me (Cape Town).

Fortuners, however abound. Pick and choose in that category and price class. Right now there are three possibilities within 25km of my house. We donít really want a Fortuner, mainly because it feels like every second person we know drives one. And the other half are Hilux owners.

I guess I just want to bemoan the scewed South African market where an excellent product like the Pajero Sport is not popular at all because people are klapped over the head with Toyota.
    Buy the vehicle you want, the distance should not be an issue. You can fly one way between CT-JHB and CT-DBN for less than R1'000 on Lift, Mango or Airlink these days (lockdown level depending)

We flew down to CT last year to collect my brothers KB300 from Hays Motor Group. The best part was a nice long trip with the new vehicle. Allows you to really enjoy it and pick up if there is any niggles on it that can be fixed right away.

There are plenty members here on the forum that will go and have a look for you if you find a vehicle somewhere else.
    Rooies, Red, Redman (Pieter)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

Just be patient

You have a good reliable vehicle to make use of, so you don't have to rush into anything

we aren't even half way into the 1st month of 2021, so you have lots of time to hit that 2021 goal...

good things come to those who wait

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RvanZ For This Useful Post:

The Pajero is great car no doubt. But from what I understand the only real reason you dont want to drive a Toyota is because "We don’t really want a Fortuner, mainly because it feels like every second person we know drives one. And the other half are Hilux owners "

All I can say is that life is so much simpler if you care what other people think of you.

Especially if you are concerned that others will judge you on your cars brand.
    Last edited by Tiaan Pot; 2021/01/08 at 10:24 AM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiaan Pot For This Useful Post:

Distance should not stop you, I bought an MUX last year and had it delivered from Somerset West, there is enough to protect you within 30 days of delivery.

Flying p or down to get it is even better, like someone else mentioned, then you have a nice long drive home to get to know the car.
    n' profeet word nie in sy eie land geken nie!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Pottie1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    The Pajero is great car no doubt. But from what I understand the only real reason you dont want to drive a Toyota is because "We donít really want a Fortuner, mainly because it feels like every second person we know drives one. And the other half are Hilux owners "

All I can say is that life is so much simpler if you care what other people think of you.

Especially if you are concerned that others will judge you on your cars brand.
    Toyota drivers are the reason why I do not drive Toyota,,,,oh yes and the most problematic new vehicle I've ever owned, was a Hilux ......

Jo Toast, do not buy something you do not really want. You seem to keep them for a long time, so why be happy with anything but your first choice. Nothing wrong with the Fortuner though.

When selling Swambo's Pajero (10 year old) , she will most probably downscale to a sport, and I've noticed that second hand ones are very scarce.

Bostoe

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bostoe For This Useful Post:

My opinion is to choose a car you want. Nothing worse than spending the next 10 years with a car and every time a PS pulls up next to you at the robot you think: "##### I should've bought one."

My 2CW

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to domkiki For This Useful Post:

Here is another take after you made up your mind and bought the vehicle of your choice:

You will always have a very, very clever friend/family member enthusiastically informing you that you should have gone the this or that dealership and should have bought this or that model, and many times this clever oak does not own the vehicle you bought or any of the ones he said you should have bought............

Then there will always be the individual who believes whatever vehicle he has is the best of the best and there is no other make close to what he has.......and lo and behold if he changes brands the one he now has is the best of the best...........

For brand loyal owners, they will stick to their brand. Some not pushy about their loyalty, but there will be those who will defend the brand he owns with all in his power and downgrade any other brand on the market.

In the end it is your money and your choice not any one else's, so if you are happy and enjoy your vehicle, life is a joy.

Something goes wrong after the purchase, well thanks to the consumer protection act there will be ways to sort out the issues if things really goes that bad.

All brands will unfortunately have an occasional Friday car or a lemon slipping through.

You set your own requirements, test drive the vehicle of choice, do market research, read the Hello Peter sites and forums like you doing, then work through all the pro's and cons noted, and then make the final choice.

I for one take a couple of months to research and make up my mind before buying. The more time you have the better your final choice will suit you.

Quote Originally Posted by Thys Willemse View Post
    Here is another take after you made up your mind and bought the vehicle of your choice:

You will always have a very, very clever friend/family member enthusiastically informing you that you should have gone the this or that dealership and should have bought this or that model, and many times this clever oak does not own the vehicle you bought or any of the ones he said you should have bought............

Then there will always be the individual who believes whatever vehicle he has is the best of the best and there is no other make close to what he has.......and lo and behold if he changes brands the one he now has is the best of the best...........

For brand loyal owners, they will stick to their brand. Some not pushy about their loyalty, but there will be those who will defend the brand he owns with all in his power and downgrade any other brand on the market.

In the end it is your money and your choice not any one else's, so if you are happy and enjoy your vehicle, life is a joy.

Something goes wrong after the purchase, well thanks to the consumer protection act there will be ways to sort out the issues if things really goes that bad.

All brands will unfortunately have an occasional Friday car or a lemon slipping through.

You set your own requirements, test drive the vehicle of choice, do market research, read the Hello Peter sites and forums like you doing, then work through all the pro's and cons noted, and then make the final choice.

I for one take a couple of months to research and make up my mind before buying. The more time you have the better your final choice will suit you.

+1

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Ernie-N For This Useful Post:

https://www.autotrader.co.za/redirect/listing/25814145

This is basically what you want from a reputable dealer. Like others said, dont let distance be an issue.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerhard_H For This Useful Post:

Stick with the fortuner - Mistsubishi seems to be on the ropes financially and does not seem like a good bet as they have decided to unilaterally pull out of all of the UK and Europe to save costs. Not a company that I would want to invest in given the contempt they have shown to the dealer network and customers in Europe and their obvious financial distress.

Why not also look at the Ford Everest? I reluctantly bought a demo 3.2 Limited 3 years ago. Now with 70 000 on the odo I must commend my daughter for insisting I buy this Everest. 7 seater with lots of space and storage areas. Very capable and excellent on all surfaces. Road holding is excellent. I still worry about the bad reputation the Toyota has on dirt. Probably sorted long ago but the poor moose test result sticks in my mind. Less prone to be taken by the midnight shoppers. Good dealer network country wide.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Louis van Zyl For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast