Default Elephant Song campsite contact details?

Good day,

Does anyone have the contact details(email and cell number) for Elephant Song Campsite?

Thank you in advance.

Francois

Default Re: Elephant Song campsite contact details?

Quote Originally Posted by KampKaptein View Post
    Good day,

Does anyone have the contact details(email and cell number) for Elephant Song Campsite?

Thank you in advance.

Francois
    This campsite near the Hoanib River was closed for many years but according to this report from ioverlander is open again. http://ioverlander.com/places/7193-h...-song-campsite
    I can find no contact details but it is in a rather isolated area and I strongly doubt if you will need to book or even if booking is possible.

I have been there and if you are self-sufficient enough to be driving the Hoanib River bed, you should be equipped to overnight there whether open or not. Lovely area.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Thank you Stan,

That's the thing, I saw a post that there were major upgrades at the campsite, so was wondering if a bigger entity hasn't take over management of this campsite.

Must agree availability will probably not be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by KampKaptein View Post
    Good day,

Thank you in advance.

Francois
    Assume you mean the Hoanib one? There is also an Elephant Song south of Kaudum (20km north of Tsumkwe).

If Hoanib, I'd suggest you get hold of Caesar Zandberg. He and his wife run Khowarib Lodge near Sesfontein. He does guided tours through the area and would have all the answers you need. If you google you'll get their cell no.

You can wildcamp down the Hoanib. Near Amspoort it is amazing, stay away from the river bed though.

Camp is open again, being run by Namibia Tracks and Trails as far as I know.
    Walter aka "Meerkat"
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE
    https://www.facebook.com/kepanamibia/

My heart beats to an African Bush drum...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:

I spent about 10 days in that riverbed and surrounds in April 2019 and can say that there is no campsite around the area that t4a shows

There is a "new" lodge just south of that though and it looked very fancy

Quote Originally Posted by RossJ View Post
    I spent about 10 days in that riverbed and surrounds in April 2019 and can say that there is no campsite around the area that t4a shows

There is a "new" lodge just south of that though and it looked very fancy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8813.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	286.4 KB 
ID:	601531

Was in the area again about 3 weeks ago, it's there. River was running though so could not go have a look at the upgrades.
    Last edited by AboutAfrica; 2021/01/07 at 07:10 PM.
    Walter aka "Meerkat"

thks Walter

some info would be nice

Have asked for contact details etc, will post as soon as I receive.

As mentioned the camp has been fixed up, even has wifi apparently, unfortunately I could not go in and have a look due to the river running.
    We entered about 20km after sesfontein on the D3707 through Okambonde Plains. A bit earlier on though their is a sign next to the road turning left.

Name:	IMG_6585.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	449.5 KB 
ID:	601551

Name:	IMG_6587.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	253.9 KB 
ID:	601552

Name:	IMG_6608.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	601553
    Walter aka "Meerkat"

It is with some amusement that I come across this reference to Elephant Song Camp where we became deeply mired in the mud at the junction of the Hoanib River and the Ganabub River one afternoon in 2011. At that time T4A informed us we were very close to Elephant Song Camp which our T4A GPS said had "been abandoned because of marauding lions". At that time my wife and I were traveling the Kaokoveld solo in my Land Cruiser. The lions reference made being stuck solo in the middle of nowhere, with evening approaching, somewhat nerve wracking.

We were wanting to continue north via Sesfontein to reach the Lodge and campsite at Khowarib Lodge. It took an epic 4 hour struggle to free the vehicle which was completely bogged down to the chassis in deep mud in the Hoanib River bed at the river confluences. There were no other vehicles to help and there was nothing to which to attach the winch cable. It was February (quite a dry one for a change), the temperature was 45C. There were apparently lions about too . After a long wrestle with the mud, the spade and eventually stripping off all my clothes, I was able to jack all four wheels up, one at a time, using our high level jack and bumper jacking points. Rocks were carried in for some distance, more mud shoveled out, mainly by hand and my Maxtrax were placed on top of the rocks and I was able to drive out forward, with both diff locks on, low range 1st gear.

The staff were hugely amused when we arrived at Khowarib Lodge to see me so covered in mud. One of their elephant viewing vehicles had been stuck exactly there only the day before. I will never forget their instructions for when I next drive that river confluence. Although continuing directly in the Hoanib bed is the straightest and seemingly the most logical route, it is in fact best to exit the Hoanib via the tributary Ganubub bed to reach Sesfontein. The Elephant Song camp is beautifully situated in prime terrain for desert elephant and lion viewing - in the dry season and I am pleased it has reopened.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Lovely story for a midnight smile.

A few mental pictures will be with me for a while

Thank you Stan.
    Zerubbabel 2 the 2008 4.8 turbo Patrol with some kit
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabel’s way! (Zech 4:7)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

So to confirm, all communications for Elephant Song Campsite goes through Namibia Tracks and Trails.

Thank you for all the advice and insights.

Regard,
    Francois
    Last edited by KampKaptein; 2021/01/08 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AboutAfrica View Post
    Have asked for contact details etc, will post as soon as I receive.

As mentioned the camp has been fixed up, even has wifi apparently, unfortunately I could not go in and have a look due to the river running.
    We entered about 20km after sesfontein on the D3707 through Okambonde Plains. A bit earlier on though their is a sign next to the road turning left.
    its very close and just west down the hoanib from the hoanib entrance gate . If you come in via ganamub you would then have to head east up the
    hoanib from the poort.

July 2019 - the wifi did work but was slow . Each site had its own kitchen , shower and loo . Spectacular views.

I recall that the lion problem came from the death of one of the gate guards . It was later established that his death was not due to lions but
    humans who tried to make it look like lions . But thats a distant memory .