Cool Towing a boat to Malawi

Does anybody know the requirements to tow a smallish ski boat from South Africa into Malawi to be launched on the lake.

The towing part is not the issue it's more a question of what paperwork is needed and where to launch we we finally get there..
    Last edited by AcidHawk; 2021/01/06 at 06:06 PM.

Default Re: Towing a boat to Malawi

I haven't been there in many moons (alst time was Dec 2004) but way back when we needed permits for all the countries we travelled for and that was just for Kayaks

Not sure of recent regulations but don't just look at Malawi look at all the countries you plan on going through on your way there
    I m not sure what your plan is with the boat but purely for leisure I would just hire and or make use of locals once there

My 2c
    2013 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4-D 4x4
    Bush Lapa 810 Miskruier

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilux01 For This Useful Post:

Perhaps the AA can advise? That is sort of their thing. You are a brave man undertaking the trip but I am sure it will be epic when you are there.

We looked at this many years back, but it seemed like a hell of drive and that was without a boat.

You will obviously need some sort of local carnet/insurance for each country. If you can organise that in advance it would probably be much easier? Then there is the safety requirements.

I know for Mozambique you needed things like safety jackets, and extra set of triangles or something to that effect. If you can find these requirements it would be helpful.

The other issue is that often the local try to protect their tour operators so they can make life difficult for you. We certainly saw this in Mozambique many years back when the guys from the next camp site were divine and had endless grief from the local plods asking for one permit after the next.

Hopefully someone gives you some good up to date info but give the AA a bash?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Speak to Ryan Long of Nanchengwa Lodge. Near Club Makakola. I don't have his details anymore. I'm sure u could goofu him.
    Take an outboard up with you maybe 30 to 50 HP tiller arm. Rent a boat off the locals. Make sure you fill in all the import and export forms to get it back to SA.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Spliffcat For This Useful Post:

My knowledge of this was in the mid 90's so way out of date but it may assist. We immigrated from Zimbabwe to Malawi and took our boat, a 14" with 40hp, we travelled through Zambia and entered Malawi at Chipata/Mchinji, absolutely no hassle. In 1994 we took small boat back to Zimbabwe through Mozambique and returned to Malawi same route towing a much larger boat, 20" with 150hp, absolutely no hassles. Putting the boat into the water was no problem as far as restrictions were concerned. Finding a boat ramp was a bigger problem, fortunately we were expats there and knew many people so finding cottages with ramp was our option. I'm sure that if you go there and ask locals someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

As far as insurance goes I'm fairly certain TIPs would suffice in each country, certainly don't think a Carnet de Passage would be necessary, but agree check with AA.

Personally I would have no qualms about taking my own boat, when we were in Malawi there were no boats to hire but it was a long time ago.
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2021/01/08 at 12:45 PM.
    John 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8 (in Australia) and 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D (in Africa)
    Badger 4i BL1677 "Ratel" (in Australia) and Baobab BL1715 "Kamba" (in Africa)
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

All great replies, thanks guys.

I will check with the AA as well some of the sail charter operators there and see if they have any additional information as well.

If they have any additional information I'll post it here.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AcidHawk For This Useful Post:

The owner/operator of Chembe Eagle’s Nest will be able to assist you. Just Google and mail or WhatsApp them.

He is a very helpful person.