Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Good quality every day handyman toolset

I have tool sets:

Socket sets; screwdriver sets, drill sets, spanner sets, I even have an off road vehicle "just in case" set with some bits and bobs like duct tape, cable ties etc... You get the picture.

But.. And this might only be me.
    When doing a simple thing like connecting a new caravan plug to the bumper of my 4x4 I find that in the end I need the one set for the pliers, the other set for the screw driver, the other set for the micro driver, then I also need the 6mm spanner from the other set because this one only goes up to a 10... Ne'?

So I need an everyday carry set to use at home..... A handy man set. One to drill holes and hang pictures, fix a plug, tighten a camping chair bolt, move the clamp on a hose, small, compact and comprehensive.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2021/01/06 at 09:53 AM.

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Default Re: Good quality every day handyman toolset

Andrew - I long ago got used to the idea that there is no "one-size-fits-all" tool set. Every tool set is short of something etc. As such, I've got my single set of tools. This is the set that travels with me when I head out into nowhere, and also use these tools for everyday stuff around the house. This tool set lives in the truck. If there are things I need, I purchase them and I add them to this set. If I need to do house handy work, I fetch the box from the truck, and I return it to the truck when I am done. Obviously, the power tools live in the garage.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Another interesting topic, Andrew, and I look forward to seeing what members come up with...

I currently have a Mastercraft cantilever toolbox in which I keep most of my everyday stuff - sockets, flat spanners, screwdrivers, pliers, vice grip and a few other bits and pieces. My plan is to try and compartmentalize an ammo box to keep in the bakkie with everything I might need on a trip; including possibly a (gas) soldering iron and a cordless drill. Not sure if I'll get it right to fit everything into one ammo box though.

I plan to do this (use an ammo box) as next to my fridge slide I plan to put in another drawer tailored to fit 4 ammo boxes, one of which will be this tool box, another one for recovery gear (yes, I will take the 'rok offroad ONE day), and the other two most probably food.

Them's my thoughts. Happy to post pictures once I get started if it will be of interest. I'm lucky to have a son with access to a 3D printer to tailor print some of the smaller compartments as needed...
    Rob Kirk

Amarok V6.
    Sym 200 scooter 2 x 1, CVT transmission, 4V OHC, 11.4 kW, 15NM
    0-60km/h in about 10s (downhill), Top speed - 100km/h (on a steeper downhill)
    Ground clearance : 125mm on 16-inch rims
    Tare : 134kg, GVM : 250kg (approx), GCM : 250kg (approx), Towing capacity : 0kg
    Best of all : 4L/100km, town driving and pinning it...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ama-newbie For This Useful Post:

Get yourself a decent made-for-purpose toolbag. Make up the contents yourself. When you go on a trip you just load the bag and know you are 90% covered.

Fight the urge to use the toolbag when at home, LEAVE IT ALONE, because you will take out the one item without putting it back, that will be needed on a trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jaco Nell

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    Andrew - I long ago got used to the idea that there is no "one-size-fits-all" tool set. Every tool set is short of something etc. As such, I've got my single set of tools. This is the set that travels with me when I head out into nowhere, and also use these tools for everyday stuff around the house. This tool set lives in the truck. If there are things I need, I purchase them and I add them to this set. If I need to do house handy work, I fetch the box from the truck, and I return it to the truck when I am done. Obviously, the power tools live in the garage.
    I have a tool set in the car, and yes it usually has those things that I need but, it is a tool bag (1. A tool box takes up too much space, rattles, and damages things around it and 2. like the bag it is a mission finding something in it), and I being me, find that it still is in the garage at home, when I need it at the campsite...

I was thinking of something nice and neat, in a box, with compartments/ spaces molded in foam so that if something is misplaced, you can see it is misplaced because there is a big empty space in the box .. I have these events when walking through my garage... I find a tool lying all on its own on the floor, or on a shelf... Yes, it should have been in my toolbag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ama-newbie View Post
    Another interesting topic, Andrew, and I look forward to seeing what members come up with...

I currently have a Mastercraft cantilever toolbox in which I keep most of my everyday stuff - sockets, flat spanners, screwdrivers, pliers, vice grip and a few other bits and pieces. My plan is to try and compartmentalize an ammo box to keep in the bakkie with everything I might need on a trip; including possibly a (gas) soldering iron and a cordless drill. Not sure if I'll get it right to fit everything into one ammo box though.

I plan to do this (use an ammo box) as next to my fridge slide I plan to put in another drawer tailored to fit 4 ammo boxes, one of which will be this tool box, another one for recovery gear (yes, I will take the 'rok offroad ONE day), and the other two most probably food.

Them's my thoughts. Happy to post pictures once I get started if it will be of interest. I'm lucky to have a son with access to a 3D printer to tailor print some of the smaller compartments as needed...
    I have a mechanically inclined teenager which means the idea of a toolbox is a laugh. I have loose tools spread out ALL OVER my garage.

A few comments on the above, just for interest:

• I had similar plans RE ammo boxes until I was shown how much space they waste. It's far more space saving to build the same size drawers, but just put dividers in. Forget the boxes.
    • All ammo boxes look the same, what's in what box? Frustrating.
    • Those dastardly clips break or get lost in seconds.
    • I have now bought cheap-ish (mastercraft/Mac-Afric) spanners and sockets in common sizes that stay in the bakkie along with all the odds and ends (cable ties, ratchet straps, gas soldering iron etc)
    • Don't discount air tools! With a 160l/min compressor, an old fire extinguisher mounted between the chassis rails and a pressure cutoff, you always have onboard air. I carry an air drill and rattle gun that can operate off the same quick connect as my tyre inflator.
    • Back to the ammo boxes, you get canvas inserts designed to go inside an ammo box and zip up. Just use them on their own, they pack as a cube, fill the same space, but hold more stuff.

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~115000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 15000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cainslie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    Get yourself a decent made-for-purpose toolbag. Make up the contents yourself. When you go on a trip you just load the bag and know you are 90% covered.

Fight the urge to use the toolbag when at home, LEAVE IT ALONE, because you will take out the one item without putting it back, that will be needed on a trip.
    I want something to use at home, I already have something for the car.

My Garage is well equipped with a wide range of tools, all in their own demarcated slots, either in the drawer toolset or hanging on my board.

If need be, I can strip and rebuild a Boeing 747, but seeing that I drive a Toyota, i never get to use my tools.

On the other hand, I have a plastic Big-Jim box, that i threw all my extra size sockets, spanners,screw drivers, pliers etc... into. No order, not organized, just thrown in.

And 99% of the time, this is my Go-To tools, any job in or around the house, or on a trip, I just grab this little self compiled toolset, and i can be assured the Job will get done. If i need a tool that isn't in the box, i take from the garage, and leave it in the box, and just replace the one in the garage.
    Last edited by Vormoto; 2021/01/06 at 09:53 AM. Reason: fixed my poor spelling

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vormoto For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    I want something to use at home, I already have something for the car.
    My bad, sorry, I am only semi-litterate😇

The toolbag remains a good idea, much easier to handle than an ammobox. Your sockets, spanners etc inside should be in boxes of some sort anyhow.
    Jaco Nell

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

I amended my OP to highlight the fact that I was talking about a toolset to use at home

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

This will tick most boxes.
    But I am one of the guys that don't believe in a tool set for everything. For instance: I only believe in Wera screwdrivers, with the orange see through handles. This Mastercraft screwdrivers I don't like, same with Gedore.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

The Mastercraft sets are nice but I think once one gets into the realm of looking at micro screw drivers etc you have to accept that there wont be an all in one kit.

I have this one which has most everyday items and isn't a mission to lug around if all I want to do is change a plug.
    https://www.makro.co.za/hardware-aut...00000186002_EA

For home use Iíve found the best is to have the tools
    hanging on a wall, and I think it looks quite cool too.
    Then you still have your socket and spanner set under the workbench, and power tools in their own cupboard etc.
    An actual toolbox for home use will become a shambles and tools will go missing.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 3.0 CRD

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

For some reason my pictures are not uploading. Confused.
    A second class ride is still better than a first class walk

GWM 2008 2.8 Turbo Diesel, left hand drive. My work horse and leisure toy.
    Nissan March, the boss' daily run around.
    Mitsubishi Delica. Ex work horse. Sold.
    Toyota Vigo 3.0l D4DTurbo 2007. Sold

Tool roll used for many years. Now a bit depleted.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrispzim For This Useful Post:

New tool rucksack with new tools.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210106_102452.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	601273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210106_102520.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	601274   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210106_102532.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	358.9 KB 
ID:	601275  

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrispzim For This Useful Post:

Uh ha. ID10T fault. Managed now.

Andrew

Die fabriek het sy eie gereedskap en al die personeel het toegang daartoe.

En ek het myne. In die kantoor agter my rug. En niemand mag neem sonder toestemming nie.

Die gereedskapstel het ek jare terug as geskenk ontvang en steeds volledig. (Die 17 en 19 tans op die Welger baler. Vanaand terug.) Hierdie stel gaan gewoonlik saam op kampe, ens.
    Die boorstel is aanvulling. Die elektriese skroewedraaier baie nodig want ek het tenniselmboog operasies in albei arms gehad en draai nie meer 'n skroewedraaier nie.

Hierdie werk vir my. Neem min plek op en alles wat nodig is vir die gewone tipe werkies daar buite.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210106_114711 (1).jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	336.3 KB 
ID:	601284   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210106_114519.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	364.8 KB 
ID:	601285  
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

My tool-kit for use at home is called "the garage", although some of the tools are often found in the car, which stands in front of the garage...

To my mind, if you have enough room for nice foam-lined boxes, you clearly don't have enough tools.

To be honest though, I suspect any attempt to refine it further than this will just result in more digging for tools. You know what you will need to do the job, just go and fetch it.
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2021/01/06 at 12:18 PM.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    Andrew

Die fabriek het sy eie gereedskap en al die personeel het toegang daartoe.

En ek het myne. In die kantoor agter my rug. En niemand mag neem sonder toestemming nie.

Die gereedskapstel het ek jare terug as geskenk ontvang en steeds volledig. (Die 17 en 19 tans op die Welger baler. Vanaand terug.) Hierdie stel gaan gewoonlik saam op kampe, ens.
    Die boorstel is aanvulling. Die elektriese skroewedraaier baie nodig want ek het tenniselmboog operasies in albei arms gehad en draai nie meer 'n skroewedraaier nie.

Hierdie werk vir my. Neem min plek op en alles wat nodig is vir die gewone tipe werkies daar buite.
    Looks fairly comprehensive, Johan, but lacks two very important tools that I frequently use; a hammer and a pair of vice-grips.

I personally love the idea of a custom tool roll. Wish I could find someone to sew me one out of canvas. I have a smallish one that came with the Honda Ballade 130 I bought around 1984 - one of the best toolkits I've ever seen standard with a motor vehicle. Maybe they expected lots of breakdowns in those days. Only problem is it's fairly small for today's needs. But, 36 years later I still keep it in the car....
    Rob Kirk

Amarok V6.
    Sym 200 scooter 2 x 1, CVT transmission, 4V OHC, 11.4 kW, 15NM
    0-60km/h in about 10s (downhill), Top speed - 100km/h (on a steeper downhill)
    Ground clearance : 125mm on 16-inch rims
    Tare : 134kg, GVM : 250kg (approx), GCM : 250kg (approx), Towing capacity : 0kg
    Best of all : 4L/100km, town driving and pinning it...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast