Quote Originally Posted by Ama-newbie View Post
Another interesting topic, Andrew, and I look forward to seeing what members come up with...

I currently have a Mastercraft cantilever toolbox in which I keep most of my everyday stuff - sockets, flat spanners, screwdrivers, pliers, vice grip and a few other bits and pieces. My plan is to try and compartmentalize an ammo box to keep in the bakkie with everything I might need on a trip; including possibly a (gas) soldering iron and a cordless drill. Not sure if I'll get it right to fit everything into one ammo box though.

I plan to do this (use an ammo box) as next to my fridge slide I plan to put in another drawer tailored to fit 4 ammo boxes, one of which will be this tool box, another one for recovery gear (yes, I will take the 'rok offroad ONE day), and the other two most probably food.

Them's my thoughts. Happy to post pictures once I get started if it will be of interest. I'm lucky to have a son with access to a 3D printer to tailor print some of the smaller compartments as needed...
I agree with most of the above. I ended up long time ago with a practical, properly designed toolbox that is compact (No spread out dispaying of tools. It just takes up much needed space) Tools must be in single layer trays for easy removal and display. (Take the digging out of the toolbox.) Extra tray for the spares and tools you are working with and lots of other handy features. See geesmo.co.za There is even a video clip. I pack about 30kg of tools in a box that 30% smaller than the metal Midas special. I try and take about everything as the one you need will be at home.