Looking to buy older 4x4 vehicle. Need advice.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Looking to buy older 4x4 vehicle. Need advice.

Hey everybody.

I'm looking to buy an older 4x4 but have a few things that I am nervous with.

I have been lucky enough to purchase cars that were either new or still had warranty and Motorplan. So my first issue that worries me is actually purchasing a vehicle with no motor plan.

What are the chances today that a vehicle can be a real lemon and what are some real things that I can do or look at to help me not buy a broken car.

I'm looking for a vehicle with an SUV type of body, Pajero,Prado,whatever really that is reliable and affordable.

I'm looking to use this vehicle to either camp with a trailer or caravan so it will need to be a decent towing vehicle.

The one caveat is that I need to trade in my new polo that I cannot actually afford anymore. So my budget is going to be around 200 grand.

I'm not sure if you can even get something decent in that price range.

Also because of always driving low km cars anything over 100000km scares me. I know it's a mental boundary but hopefully you guys can put my mind at ease.

All advice will be really appreciated

Default Re: Looking to buy older 4x4 vehicle. Need advice.

Sitting in a similar situation but I have a 2014 Rav4 (my budget is about the same)... I have been looking at Suzuki Grand Vitara's (a bit smaller than your ideas but seeming so very capable!)

I am also just so hesitant about 'older' and 'high' mileage vehicles...
    Current:
    2014 2.0 GX Rav4 - Frontrunner roof rack and awning, Goodyear Wrangler Adventure 235/65/R17

Quote Originally Posted by DJvW8 View Post
    Sitting in a similar situation but I have a 2014 Rav4 (my budget is about the same)... I have been looking at Suzuki Grand Vitara's (a bit smaller than your ideas but seeming so very capable!)

I am also just so hesitant about 'older' and 'high' mileage vehicles...
    I understand that vehicles are well built and people run their vehicles up to 400 000km.

Obviously there is a servicing cost associated to that but does it cost me 2k a year or 20k a year.

Also are these so called road worthy tests enough for you to trust that a vehicle is not completely wrecked?

And these skeptical warranties that they give you when you purchase the vehicle. Are they the kind of warranty that you will never get any money out of etc.

Plenty of vehicles which will provide what you are looking for in that price range.

The experts will be around shortly, and probably recommend a second hand Pajero, which would probably be a good bet. Or an Amarok - despite the fact that you're looking for an SUV-type vehicle.

The thing is - how long is a piece of string ?

Decide on the vehicle you want to drive and do your research around that.

You already seem to have indicated Pajero / Parado / similar. Look at what issues might crop up on higher mileage vehicles in this categories. Good luck
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by Deepsynth View Post
    I understand that vehicles are well built and people run their vehicles up to 400 000km.

Obviously there is a servicing cost associated to that but does it cost me 2k a year or 20k a year.

Also are these so called road worthy tests enough for you to trust that a vehicle is not completely wrecked?

And these skeptical warranties that they give you when you purchase the vehicle. Are they the kind of warranty that you will never get any money out of etc.
    Roadworthy tests aren't gonna show you a potential time bomb.

Your budget is a bit small, but if reliability is your main concern, you'd have to probably look at a Toyota, like a fortuner or prado, though I suspect you might have to settle for a fortuner.

https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...4.0-l/25841141
    Last edited by lizardalpha; 2021/01/07 at 02:26 PM.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

For higher mileage SUVs a full service history is of utmost importance to me. No missing services/stamps.

Pajero and Prado in your price range is going to be high milers, 250k km plus and once they hit 300k km things will start going wrong, doesn't matter which badge is on the nose.

My choice would be a lower mileage older Fortuner, Pajero Sport or Everest, smaller in size as it will be your daily and still very capable off road.

I bought a Pajero with highish km and it cost me less than R1000 per year in repairs over the past 10 years. Maybe I'm just lucky.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    Roadworthy tests aren't gonna show you a potential time bomb.

Your budget is a bit small, but if reliability is your main concern, you'd have to probably look at a Toyota, like a fortuner or prado, though I suspect you might have to settle for a fortuner.

https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...4.0-l/25841141
    That's what scares me, I don't have the finances to buy a broken car. Do you know how old of a car can you finance?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    For higher mileage SUVs a full service history is of utmost importance to me. No missing services/stamps.

Pajero and Prado in your price range is going to be high milers, 250k km plus and once they hit 300k km things will start going wrong, doesn't matter which badge is on the nose.

My choice would be a lower mileage older Fortuner, Pajero Sport or Everest, smaller in size as it will be your daily and still very capable off road.

I bought a Pajero with highish km and it cost me less than R1000 per year in repairs over the past 10 years. Maybe I'm just lucky.
    That's incredible. I'm hoping for luck like that. Maybe I need to open my type of vehicle to anything really. It will be my daily driver but I do minimal km as I use client vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    Plenty of vehicles which will provide what you are looking for in that price range.

The experts will be around shortly, and probably recommend a second hand Pajero, which would probably be a good bet. Or an Amarok - despite the fact that you're looking for an SUV-type vehicle.

The thing is - how long is a piece of string ?

Decide on the vehicle you want to drive and do your research around that.

You already seem to have indicated Pajero / Parado / similar. Look at what issues might crop up on higher mileage vehicles in this categories. Good luck
    Thanks for the advice. I think I might have to open the vehicle type to include anything

There is fantastic value for money to be had driving 100k+ km cars, cars dont suddenly die at 100k km so that is a mindset you will need to change. With an older car there will more maintenance issues to deal with so plan to spend more but most importantly accept (and plan!) for the possibility of being landed with a once off big repair bill if something major goes wrong.

This part of your post however concerns me:
    "The one caveat is that I need to trade in my new polo that I cannot actually afford anymore"

You need to seriously consider if getting into an older 4x4 is the best option at this point in time. Only you can make that call.

On choosing a car a few pointers
    Full Service history is non negotiable (but does not have be with a dealer)
    General condition of the car tells you a lot about the owner and usage - older cars will have a few dents etc, but stay away from abused cars
    Be prepared to drive around and kick a lot of tyres, if something about the car feels off, walk away.
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Do research and find what are the most reliable and cheap to maintain 4x4 models are and buy one.

It's very easy to buy a lemon especially if it's a vehicle that's already a bit finicky and prone to issues. Hence for instance avoid anything LR unless you know exactly what you are getting yourself into.

I'd stick with Japanese, older model and lower mileage around 150,000km would be great.

Based on personal experience. I am now on my 21st vehicle, 15 of them purchased used, the others were company cars. Of the used ones two were money pits. One was a Disco 2, the other an Opel Astra.

I purchased my current vehicle 2 years ago for R190k. 2006 single owner Prado V6 with 200k on the clock and FSH with Toyota. A couple of vehicles before that was a 2006 Pajero GLX that I sold with around 200k km. Neither of those were unduly expensive to maintain.

If you shop around carefully you will definitely find a proper vehicle for that money. My focus has always been on condition and maintenance record instead of mileage.

Top of my list were:
    Pajero
    Pajero Sport
    Fortuner

While looking at the above I stumbled across the Prado and due to the condition signed there and then.

Do not rush into this though. There are lots of really crap vehicles out there.

PS. If you are battling to afford the Polo at the moment do your sums carefully. You have to look at overall cost of ownership. Services on any of the above will cost you between R3 and R5k at the dealers and you will use roughly double the amount of fuel. A set of tyres will be R8k plus etc. Had to replace the rear wheelbearings on the Prado at about 210k km and that was R15k ,which I don't mind because it still costs me a lot less than a newer SIMILAR vehicle would. But ultimately running a bigger vehicle will cost you more in the long run.

Good luck with the decision.
    Always take the slow road.
    Gerrit Fourie

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gootka For This Useful Post:

As an example

this one looks good at a glance -well maintained for sure, and probably negotiable to your price limit if the seller liked you

-but I don't know Pajero's!

Good Luck!

https://www.4x4community.co.za/class...did-auto/cat/4
    "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Gootka View Post
    Based on personal experience. I am now on my 21st vehicle, 15 of them purchased used, the others were company cars. Of the used ones two were money pits. One was a Disco 2, the other an Opel Astra.

I purchased my current vehicle 2 years ago for R190k. 2006 single owner Prado V6 with 200k on the clock and FSH with Toyota. A couple of vehicles before that was a 2006 Pajero GLX that I sold with around 200k km. Neither of those were unduly expensive to maintain.

If you shop around carefully you will definitely find a proper vehicle for that money. My focus has always been on condition and maintenance record instead of mileage.

Top of my list were:
    Pajero
    Pajero Sport
    Fortuner

While looking at the above I stumbled across the Prado and due to the condition signed there and then.

Do not rush into this though. There are lots of really crap vehicles out there.

PS. If you are battling to afford the Polo at the moment do your sums carefully. You have to look at overall cost of ownership. Services on any of the above will cost you between R3 and R5k at the dealers and you will use roughly double the amount of fuel. A set of tyres will be R8k plus etc. Had to replace the rear wheelbearings on the Prado at about 210k km and that was R15k ,which I don't mind because it still costs me a lot less than a newer SIMILAR vehicle would. But ultimately running a bigger vehicle will cost you more in the long run.

Good luck with the decision.
    sound advice!
    Putta
    Landcruiser 105
    BL Miskruier B850

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    There is fantastic value for money to be had driving 100k+ km cars, cars dont suddenly die at 100k km so that is a mindset you will need to change. With an older car there will more maintenance issues to deal with so plan to spend more but most importantly accept (and plan!) for the possibility of being landed with a once off big repair bill if something major goes wrong.

This part of your post however concerns me:
    "The one caveat is that I need to trade in my new polo that I cannot actually afford anymore"

You need to seriously consider if getting into an older 4x4 is the best option at this point in time. Only you can make that call.

On choosing a car a few pointers
    Full Service history is non negotiable (but does not have be with a dealer)
    General condition of the car tells you a lot about the owner and usage - older cars will have a few dents etc, but stay away from abused cars
    Be prepared to drive around and kick a lot of tyres, if something about the car feels off, walk away.
    Thanks for the advice.

With regards to my polo. I got it as a good deal and it's costing me around 5000 per month in repayments. So I would like to try bring that number down.

I have owned 4x4 vehicles but have never used them properly. My wife currently drives an Everest which I got for her as a kids car. For school etc. That is a 4x2.

So I don't mind if the car I get is a bit rough. Just as long is it doesn't break.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Hence for instance avoid anything LR .
    This may come as a surprise to you.... but there are plenty of LR owners, including myself, which are very happy with our "unreliable" cars.
    2006 VW Touareg 4.2 V8 Auto
    2000 Disco 2 GS 4.6 V8 Auto

2013 Wildebeest Kalfie Boswa
    2002 Audi S6 4.2 V8 quattro

2013 Freelander SD4 (SWAMBO)
    ORRA Z07

19. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TwinDisco For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Deepsynth View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

With regards to my polo. I got it as a good deal and it's costing me around 5000 per month in repayments. So I would like to try bring that number down.

I have owned 4x4 vehicles but have never used them properly. My wife currently drives an Everest which I got for her as a kids car. For school etc. That is a 4x2.

So I don't mind if the car I get is a bit rough. Just as long is it doesn't break.
    You'd be saving around 1400 per month, but you'd be adding quite a bit to your fuel bill.

Why don't you use the everest for towing? Do you need to go to places where a 4x2 is not good enough?
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

21. The Following User Says Thank You to lizardalpha For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    You'd be saving around 1400 per month, but you'd be adding quite a bit to your fuel bill.

Why don't you use the everest for towing? Do you need to go to places where a 4x2 is not good enough?
    I can use it but would prefer to have a car that I don't worry about getting dirty etc

Send a message to Petri Oosthuizen here on the forum. he usually has very well looked after older model 4x4's in stock. He advertises under the commercial section too.

he could also probably take your polo in as a trade in.

Just remember if you going to save R2000 on monthly installments, you probably going to pay that in at the petrol pump compared to the polo. Especially if its a V6 petrol 4x4

I would imagine your polo is your daily driver and the 4x4 will also be used as such.

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    Send a message to Petri Oosthuizen here on the forum. he usually has very well looked after older model 4x4's in stock. He advertises under the commercial section too.

he could also probably take your polo in as a trade in.

Just remember if you going to save R2000 on monthly installments, you probably going to pay that in at the petrol pump compared to the polo. Especially if its a V6 petrol 4x4

I would imagine your polo is your daily driver and the 4x4 will also be used as such.
    As silly as it sounds I do around 500 km per month in the polo. I live close to work etc.

So that extra fuel is going to be savings for either holidays or servicing

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast