Good quality every day handyman toolset - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Good quality every day handyman toolset

I've made up my own little toolbox with frequently used tools. Replaced all tools in this toolbox with new ones (thus the tools in this kit is not being used in garage as well).

I went the nerd route and took notes of what I used a lot. Only those items in my toolbox. If not used I took it out, as this box quickly got full and heavy.

That being said, I hate a toolbox. Works okay in garage, but will most likely have Centurion Canvas make me a ripstop roll-up bag for my tools.

https://centurioncanvas.co.za/
    Pieter le Roux

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ama-newbie View Post
    Looks fairly comprehensive, Johan, but lacks two very important tools that I frequently use; a hammer and a pair of vice-grips.

I personally love the idea of a custom tool roll. Wish I could find someone to sew me one out of canvas. I have a smallish one that came with the Honda Ballade 130 I bought around 1984 - one of the best toolkits I've ever seen standard with a motor vehicle. Maybe they expected lots of breakdowns in those days. Only problem is it's fairly small for today's needs. But, 36 years later I still keep it in the car....
    Ama-newbie, the tool roll I posted I'd actually the second one I owned. The first eventually fell to pieces. I got one of the taxidermy places to make it for me on the old pattern. Try that or just an upholstery place also.
    A second class ride is still better than a first class walk

GWM 2008 2.8 Turbo Diesel, left hand drive. My work horse and leisure toy.
    Nissan March, the boss' daily run around.
    Mitsubishi Delica. Ex work horse. Sold.
    Toyota Vigo 3.0l D4DTurbo 2007. Sold

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrispzim For This Useful Post:

I have this Wurth set, and I love it.

I have lots of tool sets in the garage, but this one I leave in my Bedroom walk in cupboard, to use in the house.

Sometimes you have things in the house you need to fit, assemble, tighten, adjust, etc. and I don't want to have to walk out to the garage and back to fetch tools. Then open the item up and see, oops I also need a Torx screwdriver and have to walk all the way out to the garage and back again. So I just grab this from the cupboard and sorted for most jobs.

This set is about the size of a small briefcase (420 x 380 x 90mm)

It has-
    Spanners from 6 to 22mm
    " Sockets from 4 to 14mm (with Ratchet, Swivel, Long and Short Ext)
    " Sockets from 10 to 32mm (with Ratchet, Swivel, Long and Short Ext)
    Hammer
    Combination Plier
    250mm Waterpump Plier
    PH1 and PH2 Phillips Screwdrivers
    0.6 x 3.5mm and 1.2 x 6.5mm Flat Screwdrivers
    A Bit Driver handle and attachment with assorted Flat, Phillips, Pozi, Torx and Hex (Allen Key) bits
    12V Testlight

The only two things I would have liked to add was a 15mm spanner (set jumps from 14 to 16) and a Side Cutter

Last edited by Brannas; 2021/01/06 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Spelling

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Brannas For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cainslie View Post
    I have a mechanically inclined teenager which means the idea of a toolbox is a laugh. I have loose tools spread out ALL OVER my garage.

A few comments on the above, just for interest:

• I had similar plans RE ammo boxes until I was shown how much space they waste. It's far more space saving to build the same size drawers, but just put dividers in. Forget the boxes.
    • All ammo boxes look the same, what's in what box? Frustrating.
    • Those dastardly clips break or get lost in seconds.
    • I have now bought cheap-ish (mastercraft/Mac-Afric) spanners and sockets in common sizes that stay in the bakkie along with all the odds and ends (cable ties, ratchet straps, gas soldering iron etc)
    • Don't discount air tools! With a 160l/min compressor, an old fire extinguisher mounted between the chassis rails and a pressure cutoff, you always have onboard air. I carry an air drill and rattle gun that can operate off the same quick connect as my tyre inflator.
    • Back to the ammo boxes, you get canvas inserts designed to go inside an ammo box and zip up. Just use them on their own, they pack as a cube, fill the same space, but hold more stuff.
    You are blessed!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brannas View Post

I have lots of tool sets in the garage, but this one I leave in my Bedroom walk in cupboard, to use in the house.

Sometimes you have things in the house you need to fit, assemble, tighten, adjust, etc. and I don't want to have to walk out to the garage and back to fetch tools. Then open the item up and see, oops I also need a Torx screwdriver and have to walk all the way out to the garage and back again. So I just grab this from the cupboard and sorted for most jobs.

This set is about the size of a small briefcase (420 x 380 x 90mm)

It has-
    Spanners from 6 to 22mm
    " Sockets from 4 to 14mm (with Ratchet, Swivel, Long and Short Ext)
    " Sockets from 10 to 32mm (with Ratchet, Swivel, Long and Short Ext)
    Hammer
    Combination Plier
    250mm Waterpump Plier
    PH1 and PH2 Phillips Screwdrivers
    0.6 x 3.5mm and 1.2 x 6.5mm Flat Screwdrivers
    A Bit Driver handle and attachment with assorted Flat, Phillips, Pozi, Torx and Hex (Allen Key) bits
    12V Testlight

The only two things I would have liked to add was a 15mm spanner (set jumps from 14 to 16) and a Side Cutter
    Looks like a nice set.

Quality of the tools themselves?

I assume you get it directly from Wurth?

Approximate cost? I went onto their website to check, and immediately my blood started to boil because the prices are not displayed.

Wrong thread, but WHY do so many SA companies not display prices on their websites? If they're worried competitors will see their prices, that's B/S because of a competitor really wanted to know they would take the trouble of enquiring. But me as a shopper, I generally go elsewhere if I don't see a price unless it's something I really want and can't get elsewhere. So many SA sites make life more difficult instead of making it easier.

End of rant, wrong thread. Maybe I should start a thread; "Why do so many SA companies make it a pain to do business with them..."
    Rob Kirk

Amarok V6.
    Sym 200 scooter 2 x 1, CVT transmission, 4V OHC, 11.4 kW, 15NM
    0-60km/h in about 10s (downhill), Top speed - 100km/h (on a steeper downhill)
    Ground clearance : 125mm on 16-inch rims
    Tare : 134kg, GVM : 250kg (approx), GCM : 250kg (approx), Towing capacity : 0kg
    Best of all : 4L/100km, town driving and pinning it...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ama-newbie For This Useful Post:

Looks like a nice set.

Approximate cost? I went onto their website to check, and immediately my blood started to boil because the prices are not displayed.

Wrong thread, but WHY do so many SA companies not display prices on their websites? If they're worried competitors will see their prices, that's B/S because of a competitor really wanted to know they would take the trouble of enquiring. But me as a shopper, I generally go elsewhere if I don't see a price unless it's something I really want and can't get elsewhere. So many SA sites make life more difficult instead of making it easier.

End of rant, wrong thread. Maybe I should start a thread; "Why do so many SA companies make it a pain to do business with them..."
    The waterpump pliers are definately crap. The rest looks oraait.
    Allthough you cant install fisher plugs in the usual manner with a hammer and those screwdrivers.
    Last edited by Spiceman; 2021/01/06 at 02:13 PM.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

Looks like a nice set.

It is the Wurth Zebra range, which is Wurth's premium German Range, the quality is fantastic.

I paid R999, but that was in about 2013

Apart from the tool quality being very good, each item right down to the Bits have individual part nr's on them, so you can replace every item individualy should one get lost or broken, to keep your set complete.

Talking about not showing prices, what grinds my gears is when someone advertises something on a Facebook group that really looks good. Then when you check the comments to see the price, every single comment asks for the price, and each is replied to with "I'll Private Message you" or "Leave e-mail for pricing". Just put up the damn price so I know whether to order or scroll past!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Brannas For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman View Post
    The waterpump pliers are definately crap. The rest looks oraait.
    Allthough you cant install fisher plugs in the usual manner with a hammer and those screwdrivers.
    Yes, it is definitely not a Knipex Waterpump plier, but then again, nothing else is, but it's okay for home use. (Even the proper self locking Waterpump pliers that Wurth supplies is made by Knipex, and just branded Wurth)

I have to disagree on the second point. That exact hammer and PH2 screwdriver have put all the 6 x 70 Nailin Anchors in for 3 towel rails in our On Suite bathroom, 2 towel rails in the guest bathroom, a curtain rail in the TV room and 2 shelves in the garage The black part of the handle is a soft touch material, the red cap on the back is actually hard and directly attached onto the shaft, specifically for using a hammer on them.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Brannas For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brannas View Post

That tool set is broken. It's still got 10 and 13 sockets and spanners...
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    I have tool sets:

..................................... ...........................

So I need an everyday carry set to use at home..... A handy man set. One to drill holes and hang pictures, fix a plug, tighten a camping chair bolt, move the clamp on a hose, small, compact and comprehensive.

Any suggestions?

Some good looking mechanic's sets shown and of course the obligatory name dropping like Crescent, Stahl wille and Gedore. There is a joke about good jumper leads are not bought but built, well if you buy them joke's on you, same goes for any kind of decent tool collection. I call it a collection because all the sets shown here are great for tinkering on an engine or lawn mower but try to put a new door on to that garden shed and you find yourself stuck. I did not see any kind of saw (hacksaw is vital) or any device to turn a spade drill bit at all no chisel to make the recess for the lock and definitely no square or level.

The toolbox you need is called a garage with tool cabinets, power tools can be a scary subject but pop in to the local second hand stores and you can get some good bargains, a business trito other towns or even a camping trip is an opportunity to pick up a new bargain. Hand tools are in the same category. Do not be blinded by the fancy brand names, my tools work more than most of the fancy stuff from home handy men and last a lot better, my Makita jig saw cuts as well as my AEG cuts as well as my Startel and the Startel is the oldest and the cheapest. I have 5 X 910w Ryobi baby grinders so I don't have to swap blades when I work, they have been working for over 8 years with only the odd set of brushes. Same goes for the circular saws, biscuit joiners drilling machines.....
    Look after your tools and let the machine do the work, do not force it it would last much longer. Same goes for spanners and sockets, I love my Stahlwile or Gedore but when I know I am going to bully or abuse it out comes the cheapie so if it breaks it is not the expensive one.

Pliers and side cutters as well as star screw drivers does not fall in to the same category, to avoid injury a fairly decent brand is well worth itYou don't need crescent Will wil do but things like water pump pliers can hurt you if they slip. A good hacksaw frame makes it easy to cut straight without breaking too many blades.

Buying a tool set gives you a hand full of tools in one go but chances are that you are not going to use a lot of what you paid for, on my Pajero most sed sizes are 8, 10, 12, 14, 17 and 19. I wonder how many people ever use the 9 and 11 that are included in the sets. To start off and get yourself set up I would think of visiting the pawn and second hand shops.

Good luck
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Just register on the Wurth website. Once logged in all the prices are visible.

On a side note. I have bought some tools at pawnshops but I always have an uncomfortable feeling that Im buying something that was originally stolen

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woolf For This Useful Post:

THESE are good water pump pliers..
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

23. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

Started doing handyman work for people. Believe when you need to do anything and everything you ain't going to get it into a carry all bag. I have a venter trailer as my go to tool box. What ever you want done I can do well almost. The trailer is towed around most of the time. Got an iron man case where I have most of my go to tool in. That does into back of the van or Prado when we go on holiday but then there's still something you need. The trailer has had more and more stuff added to it. There's not much it's short of. One client of mine calls it a regular Aladdin's Cave as there's not much it doesn't have. Generally it has all I need to fix what ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylie E View Post
    Started doing handyman work for people. Believe when you need to do anything and everything you ain't going to get it into a carry all bag. I have a venter trailer as my go to tool box. What ever you want done I can do well almost. The trailer is towed around most of the time. Got an iron man case where I have most of my go to tool in. That does into back of the van or Prado when we go on holiday but then there's still something you need. The trailer has had more and more stuff added to it. There's not much it's short of. One client of mine calls it a regular Aladdin's Cave as there's not much it doesn't have. Generally it has all I need to fix what ever.
    I remember one of our carpenters years ago (early 80's) who kept all his tools and equipment in his Hilux. Mr Russo parked his Hilux each evening and jacked up the back with the jack under the towbar to take the weight off the springs.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    THESE are good water pump pliers..
    I think Knipex might be quite steep. My waterpump pliers is a Crescent. It hasn't let me down in 17 years.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

Old school Crescents are also great tools.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    Old school Crescents are also great tools.
    I have used my Crescent pliers, long nose, side cutter and water pump pliers since 1981. Only this year replace the pliers, side cutter and long nose.
    A second class ride is still better than a first class walk

GWM 2008 2.8 Turbo Diesel, left hand drive. My work horse and leisure toy.
    Nissan March, the boss' daily run around.
    Mitsubishi Delica. Ex work horse. Sold.
    Toyota Vigo 3.0l D4DTurbo 2007. Sold

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrispzim For This Useful Post:

i have a small red toolbox ,and that fits nicely behind my seat on top of my gedore set ,never ever i leave it while on trips ,and in there is all the spanners ,tang long nose ext.,with a tester ,some bolts and nuts that i use on the bakkie .

the problem i hardly use it ,but in my mind if i leave it at home ,how can i help others onroute

alberto pereira
    Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

The Knipex smooth jaw pliers are also very good substitutes for the Freestate Micrometer aka "shifting spanner". Hold onto your credit card though.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to mudgrubber For This Useful Post:

Hey. Get your facts right. It's a Freestate vernier. Not a micrometer.
    Quote Originally Posted by mudgrubber View Post
    The Knipex smooth jaw pliers are also very good substitutes for the Freestate Micrometer aka "shifting spanner". Hold onto your credit card though.
    Choose life

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Coenoes For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast