Spring 2021 planning - Page 3





Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 55 of 55
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    34
    Posts
    940
    Thanked: 1526

    Default Re: Spring 2021 planning

    Just a comment on some aspects:

    - From Nxai to Maun is a shortish drive. You'll be able to reach your accommodation relatively early, set up camp, do a bit of re-supply and still make your afternoon flight with no real rush. Thus one night in Maun should be enough. But if you want to rest out, then no harm in two. There's a really nice restaurant about 400m up the road from the airport where you can have dinner after your flight: https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Restau..._District.html

    - From Xakanaxa we took a cruise on the delta with Impala Tours. But if possible, book a 6 hour cruise to go deeper in the Delta and see more. We went on a 3 hour one and it felt as if we wanted to be out longer.

    - From Maun to Xakanaxa is a long day if you go via the Black pools area for a game drive upon entering Moremi. Can easily be done, but just leave Maun nice and early.

    - After Chobe (Ihaha), you MUST do a river cruise from Kasane. It can get crowded on the river but with reason, it's like something out of The Lion King. Book a smallish boat (6 seater), they're not that expensive. We used Kalahari Tours (based in Maun) - a 6 seater boat that only had the 4 of us on and it was a great experience. I would book two nights at Senyati after Ihaha and do the cruise, re-supply etc and then head off to Vic Falls via Zim from there...
    Stephan G

    4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

    "All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    cody
    Age
    61
    Posts
    136
    Thanked: 54

    Default Re: Spring 2021 planning

    Hello, it's the OP, back after taking a hiatus form the planning. I'm an America have been away from the planning due to a Covid death in the family whilst a attempted sedition by the "president" was occurring, both events very sad hence my absence. Shortly after making my last post I submitted the following to the booking agency on Jan 7 re CKGR.

    (1) CKGR. Doing the Northern Loop for 5 nights entering Matswere gate. The route can be either clockwise or counterclockwise. Prefer clockwise. The start date is September 19,2021 The suggestion is a recommendation but do the best or do the route counter clockwise with first night in Leopard or Sunday pln)


    1. Kori 02 Ckk02, (or 03,04) Sept 19 Preferred site is listed first.
    2. Piper Pan CKP1 (or 02), 2 nights (sept 20 and 21)
    3. Passarge Valley CKA3 (or CKA2) Sept 22
    4. Leopard Pan CKL1 (or Sunday Pan CKS01) Sept 23



    I read through the comments with interest on the few camps vs the 1 night stays and thank the posters for presenting their thoughts.. I should add in reply tp some that we are a traveling in the Bushlore CruCam setup, with the clam style RRT (i.e the quickest type to set up). The entire camp goes with us when we drive away even during a game drive. Important I think for travelers to know their style. I love to see areas and cover distances while taking time to sightsee. As example, even while doing horse pack trip in the mountains of Wyoming, in which it takes great physical effort and 3-4 hrs to take down and pack the horses in order to move camp and then another 2 hrs to set up a new horse camp..we will do that in either 1 or 2 night camp stays, just to travel the trails and see the landscape. So moving in a vehicle for 4-5 hrs ( between camps) to set up this simple Landcruiser camp seems like relatively nothing. We are also minimalist for cooking. Not sure how much Braai we will do. Cooking and eating can be pretty quick for us, and when we have time will spend more time cooking but it's not a primary interest. Watching wildlife, traveling, photography (landscape, the small things, the wildlife), walking /hiking ( were appropriate) are priorities. Will take a break when we are wearing ourselves out.

    Also the travel times between the CKGR camps seems relatively short time wise and expect the T4A times to be achievable in the dry Sept season. This leaves plenty of time for taking it slow during the camp moves, stopping to photograph and observe. Here are a couple of examples.

    T4A has Kori 3 to Piper 1 as about 60 mi/3 hrs and Piper Pan to Passarge 03 as about 75 mi/3 hr.

    Tron, you were asking if we were coming back to Bots again. Yes, so after this Sept-Oct 2021 itinerary we will return from the SW in Mid-march to Mid April 2022 via the Kgalagadi TF section and think we may travel CKGR from SW to NW. Of course I expect it will be quite different at the end of the rainy season. Will also probably be back to Bots in April 2023 at the tail end of the trip.

    I have been waiting a week now since I summitted the itinerary to the booking agent. Have not heard further other than a short comment they are working on it a couple of days ago. Wondering if I selected a good company to work with. Below is entire Bots Itinerary requested. Doesn't include Khama Rhino, leaving that to be booked later one the rest of it is settled ( including plan prior to Bots).


    Here is a list for a booking please. I am sure that some adjustments will be needed. I can arrive to CKGR a few days earlier ( Sept 17, if that helps). We can also talk on WHATS APP if when you have information to discuss. Will select boat tours later.


    (1) CKGR. Doing the Northern Loop for 5 nights entering Matswere gate. The route can be either clockwise or counterclockwise. Prefer clockwise. The start date is September 19,2021 The suggestion is a recommendation but do the best or do the route counter clockwise with first night in Leopard or Sunday pln)

    1. Kori 02 Ckk02, (or 03,04) Sept 19 Preferred site is listed first.
    2. Piper Pan CKpip01 (or 02), 2 nights (sept 20 and 21)
    3. Passarge Valley CKpas033 (or CKpas2) Sept 22
    4. Leopard Pan CKL1 (or Sunday Pan either CKSUN03 or CKSUN04) Sept 23


    (2) Khumga, 2 nights Sept 24, 25


    (3) Nxai NP

    1. South Camp 2 nights Sept 26, 27
    2. Baboobs 1 night Sept 28

    (4) Maun 2 nights Sept 28, 29. Will book later for camping also a tour with aircraft.



    (5) Moremi GR 6 nights Sept 30 Oct 5. Prefer 3 nights each at 3rd Bridge and 3 nights Xaxanaka.


    (7) Magotho 2 night Oct 6 and 7. Get best sites available


    (8 )Chobe NP 7 nights select the best available sites for shade and privacy.

    1. Savuti Oct 8-10 ( 3 nights)
    2. Ihaha Oct 11-14. (4 nights)

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bud3 For This Useful Post:


  4. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ghanzi, Botswana
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,988
    Thanked: 1118

    Default Re: Spring 2021 planning

    Quote Originally Posted by Bud3 View Post
    Hello, it's the OP, back after taking a hiatus form the planning. I'm an America have been away from the planning due to a Covid death in the family whilst a attempted sedition by the "president" was occurring, both events very sad hence my absence. Shortly after making my last post I submitted the following to the booking agency on Jan 7 re CKGR.

    (1) CKGR. Doing the Northern Loop for 5 nights entering Matswere gate. The route can be either clockwise or counterclockwise. Prefer clockwise. The start date is September 19,2021 The suggestion is a recommendation but do the best or do the route counter clockwise with first night in Leopard or Sunday pln)


    1. Kori 02 Ckk02, (or 03,04) Sept 19 Preferred site is listed first.
    2. Piper Pan CKP1 (or 02), 2 nights (sept 20 and 21)
    3. Passarge Valley CKA3 (or CKA2) Sept 22
    4. Leopard Pan CKL1 (or Sunday Pan CKS01) Sept 23



    I read through the comments with interest on the few camps vs the 1 night stays and thank the posters for presenting their thoughts.. I should add in reply tp some that we are a traveling in the Bushlore CruCam setup, with the clam style RRT (i.e the quickest type to set up). The entire camp goes with us when we drive away even during a game drive. Important I think for travelers to know their style. I love to see areas and cover distances while taking time to sightsee. As example, even while doing horse pack trip in the mountains of Wyoming, in which it takes great physical effort and 3-4 hrs to take down and pack the horses in order to move camp and then another 2 hrs to set up a new horse camp..we will do that in either 1 or 2 night camp stays, just to travel the trails and see the landscape. So moving in a vehicle for 4-5 hrs ( between camps) to set up this simple Landcruiser camp seems like relatively nothing. We are also minimalist for cooking. Not sure how much Braai we will do. Cooking and eating can be pretty quick for us, and when we have time will spend more time cooking but it's not a primary interest. Watching wildlife, traveling, photography (landscape, the small things, the wildlife), walking /hiking ( were appropriate) are priorities. Will take a break when we are wearing ourselves out.

    Also the travel times between the CKGR camps seems relatively short time wise and expect the T4A times to be achievable in the dry Sept season. This leaves plenty of time for taking it slow during the camp moves, stopping to photograph and observe. Here are a couple of examples.

    T4A has Kori 3 to Piper 1 as about 60 mi/3 hrs and Piper Pan to Passarge 03 as about 75 mi/3 hr.

    Tron, you were asking if we were coming back to Bots again. Yes, so after this Sept-Oct 2021 itinerary we will return from the SW in Mid-march to Mid April 2022 via the Kgalagadi TF section and think we may travel CKGR from SW to NW. Of course I expect it will be quite different at the end of the rainy season. Will also probably be back to Bots in April 2023 at the tail end of the trip.

    I have been waiting a week now since I summitted the itinerary to the booking agent. Have not heard further other than a short comment they are working on it a couple of days ago. Wondering if I selected a good company to work with. Below is entire Bots Itinerary requested. Doesn't include Khama Rhino, leaving that to be booked later one the rest of it is settled ( including plan prior to Bots).


    Here is a list for a booking please. I am sure that some adjustments will be needed. I can arrive to CKGR a few days earlier ( Sept 17, if that helps). We can also talk on WHATS APP if when you have information to discuss. Will select boat tours later.


    (1) CKGR. Doing the Northern Loop for 5 nights entering Matswere gate. The route can be either clockwise or counterclockwise. Prefer clockwise. The start date is September 19,2021 The suggestion is a recommendation but do the best or do the route counter clockwise with first night in Leopard or Sunday pln)

    1. Kori 02 Ckk02, (or 03,04) Sept 19 Preferred site is listed first.
    2. Piper Pan CKpip01 (or 02), 2 nights (sept 20 and 21)
    3. Passarge Valley CKpas033 (or CKpas2) Sept 22
    4. Leopard Pan CKL1 (or Sunday Pan either CKSUN03 or CKSUN04) Sept 23


    (2) Khumga, 2 nights Sept 24, 25


    (3) Nxai NP

    1. South Camp 2 nights Sept 26, 27
    2. Baboobs 1 night Sept 28

    (4) Maun 2 nights Sept 28, 29. Will book later for camping also a tour with aircraft.



    (5) Moremi GR 6 nights Sept 30 Oct 5. Prefer 3 nights each at 3rd Bridge and 3 nights Xaxanaka.


    (7) Magotho 2 night Oct 6 and 7. Get best sites available


    (8 )Chobe NP 7 nights select the best available sites for shade and privacy.

    1. Savuti Oct 8-10 ( 3 nights)
    2. Ihaha Oct 11-14. (4 nights)
    Looks good. I think you have planned well, with enough time between campsites. Just be cautious about that travel time between Kori and Piper. I wouldnt plan it as a 3 hour drive, rather a half day thing. Lot of things can happen along, sightings etc. September it will be HOT and you will make some few stops.

    _______________________________
    2011
    VW Amarok BIturbo TDI 4Motion (SOLD Dec 2020)
    2019 Land Cruiser 79 4.2 S/C
    _______________________________

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:


  6. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    cody
    Age
    61
    Posts
    136
    Thanked: 54

    Default Re: Spring 2021 planning

    I heard back from the booking agency with this proposed itinerary. Nothing committed as of yet on my end ( this is for 2021). Just started process of digesting it but in meantime if my window to book is short, hoped to get some feedback on the Moremi and Chobe sections.

    CKGR- Kori camp 19 Sep
    CKGR- Piper Pan 20,21 Sep
    CKGR- Passarge Valley 22 sep
    CKGR- Sunday Pan 23 Sep
    Makgadikgadi NP- Kumaga skl camp 24,25 Sep
    Nxai pan- South camp 26, 27 Sep
    Nxai pan - Baines Baobab 28 Sep
    Maun T.B.C
    Moremi game reserve North gate--30 Sep, 01 Oct
    Khwai - Magotho camp 02,03,04 Oct
    Mababe- Tshaa camp- 05,06,07 Oct
    Chobe NP- Lenyanti camp 08 Oct
    Chobe- Thobolos Bush camp- 09,10 Oct
    Chobe - Muchenje camp 11,12,13,14 Oct



    SO, the portion with CKGR, Makgadikgadi, Nxai is great as requested

    After that not so keen about not being able to see Moremi other than perhaps 1 day from North gate.
    Is 6 days in Magothro and Tshaa too much time relative to doing game drives based on where they are located.
    Moremi game reserve North gate--30 Sep, 01 Oct
    Khwai - Magotho camp 02,03,04 Oct
    Mababe- Tshaa camp- 05,06,07 Oct

    The Chobe booking is much different than requested also.. trying to sort through this now and research what it actually means.
    Chobe NP- Lenyanti camp 08 Oct
    Chobe- Thobolos Bush camp- 09,10 Oct
    Chobe - Muchenje camp 11,12,13,14 Oct


    thank you in advance for any info or suggestions

    Also, I saw the thread re Botswana NP not accepting bookings for non-residents, such that be a question to the booking agent ?

  7. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,845
    Thanked: 753

    Default Re: Spring 2021 planning

    Looking good except for the 4 nights at Muchenje which is quite far from Chobe. I would suggest that you stay there for 2 nights and try for 2 nights at Kasane which is relatively close to Chobe game reserve. Ask them to continue trying for Ihaha in the time being.

  8. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    cody
    Age
    61
    Posts
    136
    Thanked: 54

    Default Re: Spring 2021 planning

    Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    Looking good except for the 4 nights at Muchenje which is quite far from Chobe. I would suggest that you stay there for 2 nights and try for 2 nights at Kasane which is relatively close to Chobe game reserve. Ask them to continue trying for Ihaha in the time being.

    OK, thanks for that detail on Muchenje. I will


    In update to the above actually had just a call with the booking agency and I have better appreciation of the work/time booking an itinerary in terms of their difficulties communication with the campsites.

    The agent is checking further to attempt to book 2 or 3 nights near Moremi south gate and then 3 nights at 3RD Bridge. This would be better I think.
    Staying at Island Lodge to camp was mentioned before going to Moremi, looks good on the internet.
    Also asked for 2 nights in Linyanti..if I am going into there might as well as enjoy a few nights!

  9. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Age
    57
    Posts
    946
    Thanked: 877

    Default Re: Spring 2021 planning

    2 nights at Linyanti is just about right for such a trip. Its quite a challenge to get there from/to Savuti, so it would be a pitty to use it just for one night stand. But as there is not much of a game drives there, two nights and one full day of resting and soaking up the wonderful atmosphere there is well worth it.
    Last edited by ortelius; 2021/01/23 at 04:36 PM.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:


  11. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    cody
    Age
    61
    Posts
    136
    Thanked: 54

    Default Re: Spring 2021 planning

    The revised booking. Much better IMHO as it provides 4 nights in Moremi (South Gate and 3rd Bridge). Also added a Mokoro with two overnight camp. Less than desired was Chobe but perhaps that can be modified later with some additional added days depending on dates for a LZP canoe safari. Very excited by this plan. Now, just dealing with the uncertainties of a Covid world. Thanks to forum members posts and trip reporters past and present for their help or reports. Someday I'll be adding my experience to that .


    CKGR- Kori camp 19 Sep
    CKGR- Piper Pan 20,21 Sep
    CKGR- Passarge Valley 22 sep
    CKGR- Sunday Pan 23 Sep
    Makgadikgadi NP- Kumaga skl camp 24,25 Sep
    Nxai pan- South camp 26, 27 Sep
    Nxai pan - Baines Baobab 28 Sep

    Maun-Island Safari camp
    Okavango delta-Mokoro overnight trip 30 Sep & 01 Oct (awaiting rates)
    Maun-Island Safari Camp (Scenic flight over the Delta) 02 Oct (scenic flight yet confirmed)
    Moremi - Kaziikini camp 03&04 Oct
    Moremi-South gate 05,06
    Moremi - 3rd Bridge 07,08
    Khwai - Magotho camp 09,10 Oct
    Chobe - Lenyanti camp 11,12 Oct
    Chove- Muchenje camp 13&14 Oct
    Kasane-Senyati camp 15,16 Oct (not yet confirmed)


  12. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Braunschweig
    Age
    53
    Posts
    438
    Thanked: 483

    Default Re: Spring 2021 planning

    I have never been to Kaziikini but we passed and it did not look all too attractive. My view, of course. On the other hand, if you want to support a community, that's fine...

    Instead of 2 nights Kaziikini I would do 1 more night at South Gate or Mogotho and maybe even another night at Senyati. It will feel different from Moremi/Chobe but it is a good base to do shopping and the river cruise and you can drive into Chobe again.

    Be sure to carry enough fuel if you intend to do a lot of game driving.
    Best wishes, Anne

  13. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    S.Antonio
    Posts
    53
    Thanked: 13

    Default Re: Spring 2021 planning

    Quote Originally Posted by Bud3 View Post
    The revised booking. Much better IMHO as it provides 4 nights in Moremi (South Gate and 3rd Bridge). Also added a Mokoro with two overnight camp. Less than desired was Chobe but perhaps that can be modified later with some additional added days depending on dates for a LZP canoe safari. Very excited by this plan. Now, just dealing with the uncertainties of a Covid world. Thanks to forum members posts and trip reporters past and present for their help or reports. Someday I'll be adding my experience to that .


    CKGR- Kori camp 19 Sep
    CKGR- Piper Pan 20,21 Sep
    CKGR- Passarge Valley 22 sep
    CKGR- Sunday Pan 23 Sep
    Makgadikgadi NP- Kumaga skl camp 24,25 Sep
    Nxai pan- South camp 26, 27 Sep
    Nxai pan - Baines Baobab 28 Sep

    Maun-Island Safari camp
    Okavango delta-Mokoro overnight trip 30 Sep & 01 Oct (awaiting rates)
    Maun-Island Safari Camp (Scenic flight over the Delta) 02 Oct (scenic flight yet confirmed)
    Moremi - Kaziikini camp 03&04 Oct
    Moremi-South gate 05,06
    Moremi - 3rd Bridge 07,08
    Khwai - Magotho camp 09,10 Oct
    Chobe - Lenyanti camp 11,12 Oct
    Chove- Muchenje camp 13&14 Oct
    Kasane-Senyati camp 15,16 Oct (not yet confirmed)


    I also don't see the point on spending 2 nights at kazikiini, would instead add one in south gate and one in in magotho or maybe third birdge.
    Beeing dry season it's fine to skip Savuti and get to Linyanti. Two night in Muchenje is also fine, the Ngoma gate is like 10 min from Muchenje to enter the western section of the Chobe Riverfront, so very convenient. Senynanti is a bit far but in less than half hour you can reach the sedudu gate in the eastern section of the Chobe Riverfront, which is ok.
    The eastern section is best for gameviewing (between sedudu gate and Ihaha) while the western side is less populated but on the other hand less frequented by other tourists.
    At the picnic spot between Ihaha and Sedudu, watch for the annoying vervet monkeys!

  14. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    cody
    Age
    61
    Posts
    136
    Thanked: 54

    Default Re: Spring 2021 planning

    Thank you for the comments and expressing how you would do it. Working with a Booking agent and not able to see availabilities myself for the various locations, means in some respects I trust what the booking agent can reserve working around key places of interest. Earlier rev of the itinerary had only 2 days in North gate of Moremi and then further away from Moremi after that so teh Booking agent went back to see what can be done getting me this latest itinerary. This plan gets additional nights at 3Rd bridge and south gate, though it means having to spend time at less than ideal locations. Perhaps there is a way to fix but I have virtually zero insight into various options to fine tune to my 100% satisfaction. Perhaps I let those dates for the community camp site be "open" and fill them in a later time.

  15. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,845
    Thanked: 753

    Default Re: Spring 2021 planning

    That is a good option. You have in fact got most of the ideal places included in your itinerary now.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post:


  17. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    S.Antonio
    Posts
    53
    Thanked: 13

    Default Re: Spring 2021 planning

    Quote Originally Posted by Bud3 View Post
    This plan gets additional nights at 3Rd bridge and south gate, though it means having to spend time at less than ideal locations. .

    Perhaps I'm getting it wrong what I'm quoting, but if I understood you correctly, you say that South gate and Third Bridge are less attractive, did I get it right?
    Allow me to tell that from South gate you reach the black pools and Xini Lagoon area which are absolutely great for gameviewing. As for Third Bridge, while the Mboma island loop may not the very best, there is the Bodumatu area which is possibly the best for gameviewing inside the whole Moremi (exept perhaps chief island but you can't get there anyways so...). So do no underestimate them.
    Yet, I do agree that the Khwai concession beats the table.

  18. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    cody
    Age
    61
    Posts
    136
    Thanked: 54

    Default Re: Spring 2021 planning

    Quote Originally Posted by Nambots View Post
    Perhaps I'm getting it wrong what I'm quoting, but if I understood you correctly, you say that South gate and Third Bridge are less attractive, did I get it right?
    Allow me to tell that from South gate you reach the black pools and Xini Lagoon area which are absolutely great for gameviewing. As for Third Bridge, while the Mboma island loop may not the very best, there is the Bodumatu area which is possibly the best for gameviewing inside the whole Moremi (exept perhaps chief island but you can't get there anyways so...). So do no underestimate them.
    Yet, I do agree that the Khwai concession beats the table.
    H Nambots, I was referring to Kaziikini Community Camp as less than ideal stay prior to Moremi. AS of now those dates ae left open and perhaps get lucky and some additional nights Moremi will open up. Thanks for the game viewing detail you mention. I'll add it to my notes for those camps. We are intending for 2 night mokoro trip to a bush camp, awaiting details on the location (perhaps Chief Is?). That will include a bush walk wherever that camp may be.

  19. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    S.Antonio
    Posts
    53
    Thanked: 13

    Default Re: Spring 2021 planning

    Quote Originally Posted by Bud3 View Post
    H Nambots, I was referring to Kaziikini Community Camp as less than ideal stay prior to Moremi. AS of now those dates ae left open and perhaps get lucky and some additional nights Moremi will open up. Thanks for the game viewing detail you mention. I'll add it to my notes for those camps. We are intending for 2 night mokoro trip to a bush camp, awaiting details on the location (perhaps Chief Is?). That will include a bush walk wherever that camp may be.

    If you refer to the one starting from Third Bridge then it has to be Gxhobega or Gcudikwa (well one should be the island and the other should be the name of the lagoon).
    I was tempted back in 2019 but then couldn't make it (already booked)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •