Roadcruza RA1100 AT

Default Roadcruza RA1100 AT

Bit of a weird name, but it's the name of the tyres I have fitted to the FJ in late November. Since there doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there about this tyre, except for some positive comments from Australia and some YouTube videos from Russia, I thought I'll write my first impressions.
    I have since done 3500 km with them of which at least half was done on gravel and sand roads, some better, some worse. We have been several times to the area around Messum Crater and west of Brandberg, with lots of sharp rocks.

The RA1100's tread looks similar to that of the BFG KO2, a more aggressive tyre. Unlike the BFG however it got a 2 ply sidewall and is a softer tyre, however in this 265/70R17 size it's a LT tyre and got the same load rating (121/1450 kg) as the BFG KO2 of the same size and a 10 ply rating.

The Roadcruza AT is less noisy than the Cooper ST Maxx I had on before. There is some noise, as would be expected from an AT tyre with that kind of tread pattern. When fitted, the dealer pumped the tyres to 2 bar and on the way home (70 km) I noticed that it felt right. The Coopers at that pressure would feel vague on tar and way too hard on gravel. The Roadcruza seem to be quite happy at 2 bar on tar and are still soft enough to give a comfortable ride with good grip on gravel. Deflated to 1.8 bar they are happy on any gravel roads. Grip on sand and rocks at 1.5 bar is great, better than the ST Maxx, actually. There is a steep hill were I try the tyre's grip. With my 60 series Cruiser with MT tyres I get up there in 4x2 without much wheel spin, but the FJ with the ST Maxx tyres has never been able to get up that hill unless it's in 4x4.
    Wit the Roadcruza AT the FJ went up that same hill in 4x2, no problem.
    I have pulled an off road trailer through hot, soft sand and deflated to 1.3 bar the tyres gave good grip and floated nicely.
    None of the sharp rocks of southern Damaraland has left any marks on the tyres, neither tread nor sidewall show any signs of off road usage.
    After 3500 km the tread of the rear tyres has warn off by 0.3 mm, considering the 50/50 usage, not bad.
    Fuel consumption with these tyres seems to work out to a little less than with the Cooper ST Maxx, but I still want to monitor a little more before confirming that.
    Considering that these tyres were quite a bit cheaper than the ST Maxx or BFG would have been, not a bad deal so far.

I appreciate that for some people a 3 ply sidewall is important, but for my usage it has not made any difference. The Coopers have lasted about 60k km, still have 5-6 mm tread left, but developed cracks running from the outer tread blocks down the shoulder. They don't like to be deflated apparently, which to me is a negative for an off road tyre.
    I also found that the strong sidewall made the ST Maxx a lot less comfortable than any tyre I have driven before. On tar they needed at least 2.5 bar to feel right, on gravel they were ok ish at 1.6 bar or less. But they never felt really comfortable without feeling wallowy.

Anyway, I shall keep this thread updated as the km roll by.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201203_174605.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	601089Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201128_180335.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	601090
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Roadcruza RA1100 AT

Looks like a usable tyre, yes its a bit of a battle the get a tyre in that size, around here anyway.

I drove those dunflops that it came out with till about 80k km if I remember correctly. I did mostly tar and good gravel with the FJ so was not interested in BFG. The only tyre I could get then was another China tyre, but threw them away after 2000km, could not get them balanced. Tried more than one tyre shop. Then eventually Dunlop had Pirelli's Scorpions in stock. Sold the FJ with them at 150k km, I think.
    Last edited by JLK; 2021/01/05 at 10:42 PM.
    Johan Kriel

It's definitely a candidate for the next set of tires for my Suzi!

Please keep us updated how they perform in the long term in terms of:

* Offroad grip on rocks, gravel roads and in sand
    * if it has chipping issues (like the older BFGs)\
    * tar road grip / noise
    * wear rate

Happy miles and smiles
    Last edited by guido.e.koch; 2021/01/13 at 10:47 AM.
    Off-road: '14 Isuzu KB300 4x4
    On-road: '08 Audi A5 3.2 Quattro
    Toy: '98 Defender 90 TD5
    SOLD: '07 Audi A4 2.0 TDI
    SOLD: '02 Mitsu Colt V6 4x4
    SOLD: '04 Mazda RX-8
    SOLD: '97 Mitsu Pajero V6 GDi SWB

Interesting, tread pattern reminds me of the Bridgestones I had. Is it an import?
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    Interesting, tread pattern reminds me of the Bridgestones I had. Is it an import?
    Yes, it's Chinese.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser