Poly bushes supplier - Alfa Giulia Super 1.3 rolling (amateur) restoration

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Poly bushes supplier - Alfa Giulia Super 1.3 rolling (amateur) restoration

Hi everyone,

A few months ago I managed to buy an 1971 Alfa 105 (Giulia Super 1.3) that has not had a jol for +-20 years. Having only self-taught (ala Youtube) experience on old British cars, it has been very interesting going through the car seeing how the Italians did things differently (having worked on two British cars from +- the same era).

I have managed to get it going again and now slowly going through things to get it running as best I can. The reason for the post, is I am now on the front suspension and need poly bushes (passenger side caster arm bush is properly kaput). I can source the bushes from the UK (at great expense, I think, due to shipping from the UK) and wanted to see if the forum knows of local importers ('Superflex UK bushes') or suppliers I could try?

Out of interest, here is the engine bay on the day I first inspected the car and then after some cleanup:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200629_162942.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	318.4 KB 
ID:	600832

Name:	20201026_183810.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	375.0 KB 
ID:	600833

TIA

Default Re: Poly bushes supplier - Alfa Giulia Super 1.3 rolling (amateur) restoration

Love the looks of the twin-cam engines from that era!

Failing all else, poly is actually fairly easy material to work with, why not make up your own?
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

Default Re: Poly bushes supplier - Alfa Giulia Super 1.3 rolling (amateur) restoration

There are some tricks to making/casting poly bushes and don't let people convince you that it is a bad thing. The common belief is that the poly is to hard. You can blend the poly in any shore hardness you like.

I had an old Giulia and I cast all my own bushes.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

I matric my dream car was a GT Junior, never did get one, my first car turned out to be a faded red 4door Datsun 1200 deluxe

You can try PSB Bushings - they are a local manufacturer that export as well. Based in KZN. Got a full set poly bushes from them for the Jetta v - in for a year now and no issues. Whether they will have it for your car - not sure - but they might be able to help you https://psbushings.co.za/

Default Poly bushes supplier - Alfa Giulia Super 1.3 rolling (amateur) restoration

Congrats on the Giulia, kudos for saving an old Alfa. Donít waste your time with local poly and Alfas, they donít go well together, trust me.

Phone Giorgio @ Auto Azzurri in Cape Town, he imports 105 and other Alfa bits for use in his own shop and for sale. Cheaper to buy from him than to bring in for yourself from Classic Alfa, EB Spares, Alfaholics etc. I donít know how he does it. Tell him Stephen said to call, heíll probably be a bit more friendly if heís having a bad day ... heís 100% Italian

Auto Azzurri : 021 911 2075

Heís supplied all my bits to get mine to here and beyond:
    Last edited by SteveW155; 2021/01/02 at 12:06 PM.

Brommer:'93 Jeep XJ 4L
    Tippex: '98 Jeep XJ 4L Sport (Project)
    PLATKAR:
    Alfa 156 GTA (Godfather)
    Alfa 155 16V Sport (Red Baron)
    Alfa GTV6
    Alfa GTV2000
    Alfa Giulia Super
    Alfa Superhatch (Snowy)
    (OK now I'm outta the closet)
    SWAMBO: Fiat Strada (Trucky)

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SteveW155 For This Useful Post:

Its a beaut.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveW155 View Post
    Congrats on the Giulia, kudos for saving an old Alfa. Donít waste your time with local poly and Alfas, they donít go well together, trust me.

Phone Giorgio @ Auto Azzurri in Cape Town, he imports 105 and other Alfa bits for use in his own shop and for sale. Cheaper to buy from him than to bring in for yourself from Classic Alfa, EB Spares, Alfaholics etc. I donít know how he does it. Tell him Stephen said to call, heíll probably be a bit more friendly if heís having a bad day ... heís 100% Italian

Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    Its a beaut.
    Thanks Tom

PLATKAR:
    Alfa 156 GTA (Godfather)
    Alfa GTV6
    Alfa GTV2000
    Alfa Giulia Super
    Alfa Superhatch (Snowy)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    Love the looks of the twin-cam engines from that era!

Failing all else, poly is actually fairly easy material to work with, why not make up your own?
    Yeah, I also think it is a beautiful looking (and sounding) engine!

I believe the issue is if you get it wrong and the bushes are too hard, it will rip off the respective mounting points (I 100% believe this based on the rust this Jhb only car has v.s. the British cars I have worked on - the Italians used very thin metal IMHO)

Will try it as a last option

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    There are some tricks to making/casting poly bushes and don't let people convince you that it is a bad thing. The common belief is that the poly is to hard. You can blend the poly in any shore hardness you like.

I had an old Giulia and I cast all my own bushes.
    Ah I thought you would buy "billet" plastic and machine it down but I guess it makes sense you could cast it! I am going to research this (mostly out of interest, I am too chicken to try this on the Alfa but I may try for my old S2 Landy!

Quote Originally Posted by sparewheel View Post
    I matric my dream car was a GT Junior, never did get one, my first car turned out to be a faded red 4door Datsun 1200 deluxe
    Yeah, the Juniors are an awesome shape! My dad had a 2 door Datsun 1200 as his first car in the 70's - he has told me 100 times about "upgrading" it by installing a rear wind screen wiper

Quote Originally Posted by Lupus Lunae View Post
    You can try PSB Bushings - they are a local manufacturer that export as well. Based in KZN. Got a full set poly bushes from them for the Jetta v - in for a year now and no issues. Whether they will have it for your car - not sure - but they might be able to help you https://psbushings.co.za/
    Thanks - I checked out their website and it doesnt look like they do Alfa's. Will give them a shout if I don't come right with other suggestions, thanks again

Thanks a million for the info Stephen! I am trying my best - all the different models and possible parts (dual vs single brake MC etc), LHD vs RHD things make internet research extra interesting but getting there slowly (I got a second hand Autobook for the Giulia for Xmas which is helping alot)
    I will give him a shout, lol, I find the best (real) mechanic's are the grumpiest!

Your Alfa looks superb!

Here is mine before it got new rubber and the rims re-sprayed:

Name:	DSC_7494.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	295.1 KB 
ID:	600838

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevin4x4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Kevin, still lots of work needed on her, sheís far from perfect, but has come a long way. Your Super looks great, and the 1300 Super is a rare beast

Giorgio can help with basically everything, heís just not very chatty until he gets to know you and you get him on a good day. He rebuilds the boosters, right down to replating them to your preference, polishing the aluminium was my very own dumb idea though!

. These are for the 1750 GTV project

Youíre welcome to make contact with me if you need any info. I have a factory workshop manual and 30 years of Alfa lessons learned the hard way ... and Iím happy to share what I know
    Last edited by SteveW155; 2021/01/02 at 01:00 PM.

PLATKAR:
    Alfa 156 GTA (Godfather)
    Alfa GTV6
    Alfa GTV2000
    Alfa Giulia Super
    Alfa Superhatch (Snowy)

That would be way to hard. Yes, it will wreck things.

Try and talk to AMT. Yes they are more pricey, but the end result is totally predictable.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin4x4 View Post
    Ah I thought you would buy "billet" plastic and machine it down but I guess it makes sense you could cast it! I am going to research this (mostly out of interest, I am too chicken to try this on the Alfa but I may try for my old S2 Landy!
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Great memories as a schoolboy mechanic working for pocket money...
    Seeing those shims for the first time ever and having no Google
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

19. The Following User Says Thank You to duncang For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kevin4x4 View Post
    Yeah, I also think it is a beautiful looking (and sounding) engine!

I believe the issue is if you get it wrong and the bushes are too hard, it will rip off the respective mounting points (I 100% believe this based on the rust this Jhb only car has v.s. the British cars I have worked on - the Italians used very thin metal IMHO)

Will try it as a last option
    Poly can be cast down to 30 Shore or even less, which is way softer than most natursl rubbers and certainly too soft for suspension bushes if you want any kind of precision whatsoever.

Also, the hardness is mostly determined by the ingredients you use and not so much by the mixing ratio or process variables. In other words, it's not something you "get wrong".
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2021/01/03 at 06:29 AM.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

I made all my own bushes for my Triumph GT6 MK3 I rebuilt a few years ago. Way cheaper than bringing them in from over the pond.

Name:	5194-5194-111032_70guy1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	600913
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ghouwens For This Useful Post:

Beautiful car!
    Is that the same Giorgio that used to have the place in town off Buitengracht Street with his brother Tony?
    Italsud, I think it was called.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Thats a 166 Ti standing behind your baby. One of my biggest regrets is not buying a demo at a ridiculous low price many years ago.
    ASPW on the Jeep Grand Cherokee: "This vehicle is phenomenal... I have never seen a traction control system working quite like this..."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast