Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Prado 120 - living with and little fixes

Hi all

From never being a Toyota fan to owning a 120, I must say it is a very nice vehicle and for the cost it is incredibly hard to replace.

With mine being 15 years old, there have been one or two niggles....but mostly due to age and mileage so really can't complain!!

The three issues I'm going to mention here I've experienced with my 2005 5speed model and a friends 2004 4speed model, both V6s...to begin we both had the gear selector issue, which is a simple fix (see link in my signature). This is from the locator pin being too short and falling out and so the car does not stay in 4 or L

The second issue is the aircon...it makes a noise like there is a leaf stuck in the vents. With the car being so well insulated this noise becomes quite apparent. There are two servo motors under the dash which direct air flow for the aircon. There is actually a third motor in the rear somewhere for that aircon. If you look under the dash on the drivers side above your left foot you will find the two black servo motors...the top one is the one that is making the noise and is responsible for the airflow that comes directly out towards the driver. The servo motor has 5 pins, two for the little DC motor and 3 for feedback so the motor knows the correct position. The tracks were covered in grease and so motor hunts back and forth. A simple strip and clean and all was right again.

The last issue to mention today is when the car starts sounding like a V8....the gasket in the exhaust after the first CAT eventually gets worn and leaks and the car sounds like there's a hole in the exhaust because there's a hole in the exhaust. My friend in the 2004 prado replaces his gasket with a midas part and it didn't last and so I've now also replaced mine with genuine toyota parts and the car is now as silent as it should be again.

Otherwise nothing to complain about with these cars....15 years old everything still works

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tintin_85 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Prado 120 - living with and little fixes

Hoe sÍ hulle, ďalles reg, altyd reg - Toyota!Ē
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by tintin_85 View Post
    Hi all

From never being a Toyota fan to owning a 120, I must say it is a very nice vehicle and for the cost it is incredibly hard to replace.

With mine being 15 years old, there have been one or two niggles....but mostly due to age and mileage so really can't complain!!

The three issues I'm going to mention here I've experienced with my 2005 5speed model and a friends 2004 4speed model, both V6s...to begin we both had the gear selector issue, which is a simple fix (see link in my signature). This is from the locator pin being too short and falling out and so the car does not stay in 4 or L

The second issue is the aircon...it makes a noise like there is a leaf stuck in the vents. With the car being so well insulated this noise becomes quite apparent. There are two servo motors under the dash which direct air flow for the aircon. There is actually a third motor in the rear somewhere for that aircon. If you look under the dash on the drivers side above your left foot you will find the two black servo motors...the top one is the one that is making the noise and is responsible for the airflow that comes directly out towards the driver. The servo motor has 5 pins, two for the little DC motor and 3 for feedback so the motor knows the correct position. The tracks were covered in grease and so motor hunts back and forth. A simple strip and clean and all was right again.

The last issue to mention today is when the car starts sounding like a V8....the gasket in the exhaust after the first CAT eventually gets worn and leaks and the car sounds like there's a hole in the exhaust because there's a hole in the exhaust. My friend in the 2004 prado replaces his gasket with a midas part and it didn't last and so I've now also replaced mine with genuine toyota parts and the car is now as silent as it should be again.

Otherwise nothing to complain about with these cars....15 years old everything still works
    how many kms on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Bundutrailer View Post
    how many kms on the clock.
    Both of them are just over 270000km

The dashboards cracked yet?

And the crappy / over eager Cruise Control
    Hennie Grobler

2008 Prado 4Lt V6 (120 series)
    2015 Nissan NV200 Combi
    2010 Jurgens Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by sparewheel View Post
    The dashboards cracked yet?
    Oh ya, I forgot about that....I had that redone long long ago

Quote Originally Posted by Groblehh View Post
    And the crappy / over eager Cruise Control
    Haha yes, but I can live with that

The console fridge fan that packs up and is impossible to get to. The replacement fan from Toyota is expensive. I now have a console box.

Concerning the Dash cracking, I Dubbin the dash, it looks good and will hopefully prevent that problem.

Love it, wouldn't change this beast for anything
    2008 150,000km's

Quote Originally Posted by fredwb View Post
    The console fridge fan that packs up and is impossible to get to. The replacement fan from Toyota is expensive. I now have a console box.

Concerning the Dash cracking, I Dubbin the dash, it looks good and will hopefully prevent that problem.

Love it, wouldn't change this beast for anything
    2008 150,000km's
    Luckily I don't have the console fridge in mine...but yes, it's hard to replace what these cars offer

Oh, and the nonexistent handbrake.....but I think that's more a toyota thing than a prado thing otherwise I still enjoy this car and what it offers

Handbrake needs to be correctly adjusted on the rear discs and there's adjustment at the lever, then it works 110% .

I regret letting my 120 go in favor of the 150

Handbrake needs to be correctly adjusted on the rear discs and there's adjustment at the lever, then it works 110% .

I regret letting my 120 go in favor of the 150
    Tell me why? I've heard that before and know someone who had a 120, 150 and a FJ. He sold the 120 and later on sold the 150 to buy another 120.

For a year or two I had both the 120 and 150 at the same time, both similarly kitted (ARB bar and same AT tyres) both had "upgraded" suspension 120 V6 vx I had was definitely lighter on fuel and felt more powerful (its lighter?), 120 felt like a nicer interior quality and layout, 3rd row seats clip out so bigger in the cargo area.

Wife never liked driving the 150 (and still doesn't) as to her it felt bigger and more awkward she loved the 120.

Its taken me a long time to rid my 150 TX V6 of rattles, removed 3rd row for drawers.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sparewheel For This Useful Post:

Bought my 120 2007 model 30L KZTE. Too it to Arnold Venter who vetted it dyno tuned it and put in a chip upgrade. Had 185k when I got it now on 225k without a niggle. Had to replace bonnet gas struts but that's about all I needed to fix. Get in an go. Cruise control not a problem with chip. When I hit bad up hills I cancel cruise control but that's how it is. Would like a set of seat covers for it but eish they are expensive. Had upgraded radio but that packed up. Looking for a replacement unit but haven't anything I found suitable unit yet. Miss reverse camera. Will all come with time.
    All the best everyone for the new year.

For a year or two I had both the 120 and 150 at the same time, both similarly kitted (ARB bar and same AT tyres) both had "upgraded" suspension 120 V6 vx I had was definitely lighter on fuel and felt more powerful (its lighter?), 120 felt like a nicer interior quality and layout, 3rd row seats clip out so bigger in the cargo area.

Wife never liked driving the 150 (and still doesn't) as to her it felt bigger and more awkward she loved the 120.

Its taken me a long time to rid my 150 TX V6 of rattles, removed 3rd row for drawers.
    Depending on the model the 150 is about 400kg heavier than thee120.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylie E View Post
    Bought my 120 2007 model 30L KZTE. Too it to Arnold Venter who vetted it dyno tuned it and put in a chip upgrade. Had 185k when I got it now on 225k without a niggle. Had to replace bonnet gas struts but that's about all I needed to fix. Get in an go. Cruise control not a problem with chip. When I hit bad up hills I cancel cruise control but that's how it is. Would like a set of seat covers for it but eish they are expensive. Had upgraded radio but that packed up. Looking for a replacement unit but haven't anything I found suitable unit yet. Miss reverse camera. Will all come with time.
    All the best everyone for the new year.
    I think the over eager cruise control is more prominent on the petrol models, but have no experience with the diesel. I really do enjoy the petrol engine though

What head unit did you have? I'm thinking of getting a seicane head unit

Talking about a cracked dash. Can it be fixed or replaced?
    Don't feed the monkeys!

Iíve had my 120 for a couple of years now and almost 260k on the clock. I canít get over how good this thing is. Only issues Iíve had were discs warping - eventually upgraded to Power Brake, and an airbag warning light - I suspect it could be a bad connection issue as it disappears at times and then lights up again.
    2006 Toyota Land Cruiser 79 4.5 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by tintin_85 View Post
    I think the over eager cruise control is more prominent on the petrol models, but have no experience with the diesel. I really do enjoy the petrol engine though

What head unit did you have? I'm thinking of getting a seicane head unit
    Had ice x unit or the likes. Reciever froze not working. Still looking for a suitable unit to replace. Camera is still installed and waiting for new head unit.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast