Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Re: Prado 120 - living with and little fixes

You can replace just the bushes at R1600 a side if you happy to remove the old 9nes and press in the new ones.

Or buy the whole arm and bushes from goldwagen fir R1800 OR if you very lucky like me I picked this up off Facebook Market place for R1800 brand new.

It was a no brained for me as you are correct they not cheap new from toyota but would think R7k each is fitted??

R7700 with discount, parts only

Have not asked what the labor would be for installation

(Te groot geskrik om helder te dink)
    Hennie Grobler

2008 Prado 4Lt V6 (120 series)
    2015 Nissan NV200 Combi
    2010 Jurgens Exclusive

Had my control arm bushes replaced by Halway Toyota Fourways about 2 months ago. They replace the bushes, not the full control arm. Cost was about R9k all in.
    Always take the slow road.
    Gerrit Fourie

Quote Originally Posted by warrenpfo View Post
    You can replace just the bushes at R1600 a side if you happy to remove the old 9nes and press in the new ones.

Or buy the whole arm and bushes from goldwagen fir R1800 OR if you very lucky like me I picked this up off Facebook Market place for R1800 brand new.

It was a no brained for me as you are correct they not cheap new from toyota but would think R7k each is fitted??
    Has anyone used the goldwagen ones? Any feedback on them?

I had to fix seal on transfer case front output shaft. Watched YouTube vid and got into doing it. Could only get seal from Toyota was a walk in the park to do. Inner CV boot also got wrecked went the same root. Easier than any other repair I've had to do on other cars. Will be doing my lower control arm bushes myself. Will let you know what it cost at the end of the day. I've already made bracket to fit second battery to engine bay. I'm using existing holes in bodywork. No need for drilling holes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wylie E For This Useful Post:

rj4

I had my Prado washed on Tuesday and had them spray the undercarriage because I had quite a lot of dirt from the previous week's dirt trips.
    Now I'm getting a "clunk" when I come to a stop and gearbox engages first. So first thoughts were either gearbox or propshaft(I didn't lube in last service). And after researching it, it seems to be propshaft. Hoping that the prop lube service will sort it out and I don't have to immediately replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by rj4 View Post
    I had my Prado washed on Tuesday and had them spray the undercarriage because I had quite a lot of dirt from the previous week's dirt trips.
    Now I'm getting a "clunk" when I come to a stop and gearbox engages first. So first thoughts were either gearbox or propshaft(I didn't lube in last service). And after researching it, it seems to be propshaft. Hoping that the prop lube service will sort it out and I don't have to immediately replace it.
    Make sure it isn't bad as if it gets worse it will do more damage than good.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wylie E For This Useful Post:

rj4

Sorry if not the right place to ask, but I am due to service my 2006 4.0l for first time since I bought it. Head was redone 9000km ago and was serviced then.
    What is the reasonable rate for a service. I phoned around and prices seemed to be between R2800 and R4500. Should just be std service3 as lots replaced with the head issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylie E View Post
    Make sure it isn't bad as if it gets worse it will do more damage than good.
    What kind of damage is possible?

Quote Originally Posted by robmorgan View Post
    Am looking to replace the head unit with a OneNav unit. Has anyone any experience with this? Apparently does offline maps, Android Auto, blueteeth to the phone, forward and rear cameras and can manage tpms as well! Not cheap but looks comprehensive. Any ideas?
    I have had a one nav fitted and it is great I have apple phone and all works well GPS is good and wireless carplay. Steering controls work. Bought mine and had fitted and they fitted a face plate so looks like it was factory done

if it is propshaft it can damage UJs and output from transfer case as well as input to diffs. the sooner repaired the better. Watched a Youtube video where they had to replace a compleate CV as it had wreckede itself to the point of no repair.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wylie E For This Useful Post:

rj4

Quote Originally Posted by Wylie E View Post
    if it is propshaft it can damage UJs and output from transfer case as well as input to diffs. the sooner repaired the better. Watched a Youtube video where they had to replace a compleate CV as it had wreckede itself to the point of no repair.
    I did the propshaft lubrication this past weekend. So far not feeling the 1st gear kick/cluck so looking good so far. Some of the joints were very dry.

After researching the lubrication, it seems like a world wide issue where dealerships don't do the work during services unless the customers specifically ask for it. The service book says it should be lubed at every 10k service.

I did the propshaft lubrication this past weekend. So far not feeling the 1st gear kick/cluck so looking good so far. Some of the joints were very dry.

After researching the lubrication, it seems like a world wide issue where dealerships don't do the work during services unless the customers specifically ask for it. The service book says it should be lubed at every 10k service.
    How many grease nipples does the Prado have?
    Hennie Grobler

2008 Prado 4Lt V6 (120 series)
    2015 Nissan NV200 Combi
    2010 Jurgens Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by Groblehh View Post
    How many grease nipples does the Prado have?
    6 on the propshaft

18. The Following User Says Thank You to rj4 For This Useful Post:

Anyone had their rear door sag fixed

Due to the weight of spare wheel on rear door there is a bit of wear on hinges. Make yourself a 2mm alu sheet spacer that you fit between door and hinge. Will lift the door to accommodate sag. While you have the hinge out make sure you grease up to help against wear. Seen this done on YouTube.

For rear door sag, I used 1.5 to 2 mm aluminum washers, only on the lower hinge, between door and hinge (not hinge and bodywork). It worked well on 2 x prados and 2006 rav4

I have got a 2008 Prado 120 series, 4 litre petrol that has done 156k km's. Its got a full service history by the agents.

I have noticed over the last approx 10k to 15k kilometres that there has been a minor amount of cooling water loss. Losing about half a litre over the last 4000km's, a recent trip to the Kruger Park.

A closer look into this has revealed that the core of the radiator is leaking due to corrosion, and there is also signs of the water pump leaking.

A quote from Toyota for a new radiator was just over R10,000 supply only. I have bought a Corenet radiator from Silverton radiators, that I will fit, for R2100. So there we are with the agents having a 500% markup.

I am in the process in getting prices for the water pump, its interesting.
    Toyota - OEM - R4330
    Goldwagen - GMB - R2280
    Goldwagen - Blueprint - R2350
    Masterparts - Dolz - R1100
    Midas - Neptune - R950
    Alert - GMB - R1350

Another interesting fact in this regard is that talking to the radiator guys they tell me that the coolant should be changed every 3 to 5 years to prevent the sort of corrosion I have got on the radiator. The agents have never done this in any one of the services. It will be interesting to research this a little further.

Quote Originally Posted by fredwb View Post
    I have got a 2008 Prado 120 series, 4 litre petrol that has done 156k km's. Its got a full service history by the agents.

I have noticed over the last approx 10k to 15k kilometres that there has been a minor amount of cooling water loss. Losing about half a litre over the last 4000km's, a recent trip to the Kruger Park.

A closer look into this has revealed that the core of the radiator is leaking due to corrosion, and there is also signs of the water pump leaking.

A quote from Toyota for a new radiator was just over R10,000 supply only. I have bought a Corenet radiator from Silverton radiators, that I will fit, for R2100. So there we are with the agents having a 500% markup.

I am in the process in getting prices for the water pump, its interesting.
    Toyota - OEM - R4330
    Goldwagen - GMB - R2280
    Goldwagen - Blueprint - R2350
    Masterparts - Dolz - R1100
    Midas - Neptune - R950
    Alert - GMB - R1350

Another interesting fact in this regard is that talking to the radiator guys they tell me that the coolant should be changed every 3 to 5 years to prevent the sort of corrosion I have got on the radiator. The agents have never done this in any one of the services. It will be interesting to research this a little further.
    So the Alert and Goldwagen GMB are the same part but different pricing?
    With the radiator corrosion, could you see it in the water or only once silverton looked at the radiator?

My next service will be 360k km. Im planning on replacing all fluids except for the gearbox.
    On the gearbox I might just check the oil condition and do a topup if all is ok, rather than doing an entire gearbox flush.
    My only issue is that most of my plastics are starting to break. Especially small pieces like on the bonnet catch, etc.

So the Alert and Goldwagen GMB are the same part but different pricing?
    With the radiator corrosion, could you see it in the water or only once silverton looked at the radiator?
    , etc.
    It is all clear with external inspection. You can clearly see the pink build up on the outside of the radiator where it is leaking, you just need to take the plastic cover above the radiator off and look in there with a torch. Likewise, you can see pink around the water pump by putting a torch into that area..

25. The Following User Says Thank You to fredwb For This Useful Post:

rj4

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast