Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Gordons Bay,Helderberg
    Age
    33
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: 2011 Hilux broken strut mount.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alxrow001 View Post
    Reading your original post again I see that it has OME 2" + small spacer.

    I'll put money on it that the strut is being fully compressed before the bumpstop is being reached. This will transfer all the stress into the shock mount and result in fatigue.
    Im stripping both sides tomorrow and welding up. Just a question, what would the best way be too fully compress the strut? Im thinking after welding up both sides I'll drive up a ramp to test. If you have a quicker easier way please do tell.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Gordons Bay,Helderberg
    Age
    33
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: 2011 Hilux broken strut mount.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    Before you weld the crack, drill a hole at the end of it. This "stop-drill" will help prevent the crack progression in the future.
    Thanks I will definitely do that as well.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Gordons Bay,Helderberg
    Age
    33
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: 2011 Hilux broken strut mount.

    Just for interest sake, here are pics of the anti roll bar fouling the strut. Drivers side
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201229_170813.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	600592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201229_170822.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	600593
    The rubbing is minimal while the vehicle sits but I wonder if at full articulation this would have a negative effect?

    Here are pics of the other side. Notice of the antirollbar does not foul on this strut. Passenger Side.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201229_170914.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	600596Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201229_170923.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	222.2 KB 
ID:	600585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201229_170934.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	224.2 KB 
ID:	600595

    Sorry not too sure how this last pic below got into this post.
    .
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by pampoenluke; 2020/12/30 at 11:52 AM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    58
    Posts
    40,378
    Thanked: 17104

    Default Re: 2011 Hilux broken strut mount.

    I'd add a cross-brace over the crack as well. Something like 3mm flat bar and both fillet weld as well as drill holes in the flat bar and fill weld.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  6. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,037
    Thanked: 120

    Default Re: 2011 Hilux broken strut mount.

    Quote Originally Posted by pampoenluke View Post
    Im stripping both sides tomorrow and welding up. Just a question, what would the best way be too fully compress the strut? Im thinking after welding up both sides I'll drive up a ramp to test. If you have a quicker easier way please do tell.
    Driving up a ramp wont work as you will simply climb, it will not compress as well as a solid axle vehicle. The only proper way to do it will be to remove the coil from the strut and cycle the shock only.

    Once welded you will have 2 options to avoid re-occurrence:

    1) Remove the spacer (The ratio between the compression and bumpstop on the OME will be correct)
    2) Extend the bumpstop - That would require cycling the suspension as described above

    Let me know how it goes.
    ............................................
    Rowan Alexander


    http://www.fridayavieclub.co.za

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Swakop
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,468
    Thanked: 1184

    Default Re: 2011 Hilux broken strut mount.

    happens more often than you would think on rental Hiluxes here that obviously drive mostly gravel. The guys weld it up and reinforce the mount.
    Walter aka "Meerkat"
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE
    https://www.facebook.com/kepanamibia/


    My heart beats to an African Bush drum...

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:


  9. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Gordons Bay,Helderberg
    Age
    33
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: 2011 Hilux broken strut mount.

    So just an update on this thread.. I welded the cracks closed and reinforced the outer edge with some 6mm round bar that was welded on the outer edge. Removed the sway bar, something I wanted to do and then took the vehicle for a spin to the local track. I found the deepest ditch I could and got the wheel to compress up too the bump stop. I however read somewhere that when you add a spacer you need to add whatever the height is of the spacer too the bottom bumpstop. Has anyone heard something similar?

  10. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,037
    Thanked: 120

    Default Re: 2011 Hilux broken strut mount.

    Quote Originally Posted by pampoenluke View Post
    So just an update on this thread.. I welded the cracks closed and reinforced the outer edge with some 6mm round bar that was welded on the outer edge. Removed the sway bar, something I wanted to do and then took the vehicle for a spin to the local track. I found the deepest ditch I could and got the wheel to compress up too the bump stop. I however read somewhere that when you add a spacer you need to add whatever the height is of the spacer too the bottom bumpstop. Has anyone heard something similar?
    Yip, I have. I fitted some conveyor belt rubber to mine to make up for the spacer. Process is like I explained in a earlier post. If you are hitting the bump stop without full compression of the strut that is definitely what caused the failure.
    ............................................
    Rowan Alexander


    http://www.fridayavieclub.co.za

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Alxrow001 For This Useful Post:


  12. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Gordons Bay,Helderberg
    Age
    33
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: 2011 Hilux broken strut mount.

    Well there you go, hopefully someone can learn from this post and update the bump stop to account for the spacer. Thanks for all the comments folks.

  13. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town Southern Suburbs
    Posts
    3,523
    Thanked: 1509

    Default Re: 2011 Hilux broken strut mount.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alxrow001 View Post
    Yip, I have. I fitted some conveyor belt rubber to mine to make up for the spacer. Process is like I explained in a earlier post. If you are hitting the bump stop without full compression of the strut that is definitely what caused the failure.
    Isn't it rather if you are reaching full compression of the strut, ie strut bottoming out without hitting the bump stop it will cause the failure?
    Last edited by Skylark; 2021/01/05 at 11:15 AM.

  14. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,037
    Thanked: 120

    Default Re: 2011 Hilux broken strut mount.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Isn't it rather if you are reaching full compression of the strut, ie strut bottoming out without hitting the bump stop it will cause the failure?
    Yes that's correct and what I meant. 👍
    ............................................
    Rowan Alexander


    http://www.fridayavieclub.co.za

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •