Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Post Re: Pajero Sport Buying Advice

Thanks for the detailed responses guys, exactly what I'm after.

I reckon that it's going to work for me. Just trying to get the dealer to throw in a 2yr mechanical warranty and swop out the standard highway terrain spare tyre for another BF (doesn't make sense to have a HT spare with aggressive AT tyres), then I'll seal the deal.😁
    RvdM

2017 Mitsubishi PS 2.5DI-D 4x4 MT
    2011 Suzuki GV 2.4 M (SOLD)

Default Re: Pajero Sport Buying Advice

Sounds good Rydm 1,

When I lost two of the OE HT tyres, due to damage on a construction site, at 85 000km, I opted to replace all 5 tyres with Yokohama G015 Geolander AT's, and I rotate all 5 every 10 000km. That way the wear pattern is even on all 5, until one obviously looses one tyre when the wear pattern is down to 50 %, then the new one goes to spare and the remaining 4 gets rotated.

Reason for this, and there are a lot of posters who does not agree, the tyres on one axle should have the same diameter and type to prevent undue stress on the differential, and for stability. with a 4x4's, all 4 tyres on the road should have the same diameter and type, to prevent stress on the transfer case and both differentials. This is for mechanical TC's, not sure how it works for the likes of the Subaru's, BMW's etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tzrav View Post
    Hi everyone,

Not to derail the topic, between the 2.5 and the 3.2 which is the preferred model or pros and cons?

Is the 3.2 diesel motor the same motor that's been used in the Pajero all these years?
    The 3.2 motor used in the Pajero Sport and Triton was the same in the Pajero until 2013.

The PS then got the 2.5 and the Pajero an uprated 3.2 to 144 kw.

Pros of the 3.2:
    Torque spread better.
    Less turbo lag
    Cons: higher consumption

Pros 2.4:
    Lower fuel consumption
    Cons: turbo lag and peaky torque curve
    Last edited by Mitsu Fan; 2021/01/04 at 01:30 PM.
    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Jurgens Xplorer 2013 (new retirement home)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse" (sold and will be sorely missed)
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitsu Fan For This Useful Post:

I noticed from the VIN of the PS that I am looking at that it was manufactured in 2014 but first registered in Apr 2017. This seems quite odd, is it something to be concerned about? It means the car was around 3 years old when it was sold "new" and now already around 6 years old.
    RvdM

Something does not sound right, ask for the registration papers and look at them, the PS may have been de-registered for some reason and registered again, or a neighbouring country import?

Quote Originally Posted by rvdm1 View Post
    In my mind the pajero sport is very similar to the fortuner in terms of size,
    I think PS is much narrower than fortuner. Its 2nd row is tight, frint seats are too close together like in small hatchback. Look at the centre console bin quite tiny too.

capability offroad etc.
    It can be driven in AWD in 4H setting all the time, which is cool. Else I don't capabilities are that different.

The PS engine is more refined however does feel a little leaa powerful for some reason much as the torque/power outputs are similar

The 3.2 has a timing chain that basically lasts almost forever, the 2.5 has the belt which needs replacing, for me thats a big plus for the 3.2. Am I correct, learned Mitsu experts?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu Fan View Post
    The 3.2 motor used in the Pajero Sport and Triton was the same in the Pajero until 2013.

Pros of the 3.2:
    Torque spread better.
    Less turbo lag

Pros 2.4:
    Lower fuel consumption
    '15 Honda CR-V Comfort Auto
    '05 Honda CR-V RVSI Auto AWD

I have been folowing this thread with interest since I have my eye on a PS as well, so I hope you dont mind me adding some questions.

How does the auto box compare between the 2.5 and 3.2, was there a 4 speed and a 5 speed?

And would you say the Mitsubishi Autoboxes perform better than the Fortuner and Prado 120 auto boxes (in terms of being in the best gear most of the time?)

For example, the 120 Prado V6 auto on speed control is really bad, revving the engine at the slightest hill etc, and violently gearing down on downhills. I hope the Mitsubishis are better?

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurB View Post
    I have been folowing this thread with interest since I have my eye on a PS as well, so I hope you dont mind me adding some questions.

How does the auto box compare between the 2.5 and 3.2, was there a 4 speed and a 5 speed?

And would you say the Mitsubishi Autoboxes perform better than the Fortuner and Prado 120 auto boxes (in terms of being in the best gear most of the time?)

For example, the 120 Prado V6 auto on speed control is really bad, revving the engine at the slightest hill etc, and violently gearing down on downhills. I hope the Mitsubishis are better?
    I am about to pull the trigger so you can take over the thread so to speak. Must say all the responses have been very helpful.
    RvdM

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rvdm1 For This Useful Post:

Certainly is a big plus on the 3.2. My FIL has the 3.2 and I have the 2.5. Mine just feels a little bit more luxurious, the radio for example is light years better, although you can sort that with aftermarket items I guess.
    The 3.2 has a timing chain that basically lasts almost forever, the 2.5 has the belt which needs replacing, for me thats a big plus for the 3.2. Am I correct, learned Mitsu experts?
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

As previous post, my FIL has the 3.2 and I the 2.5 - I prefer my 5 speed, although there is nothing wrong with the 4 speed. Cannot really fault either.

When using cruise control, I put my box in tiptronic and "lock" it in 5th, I find that is the best way as it sometimes wants to shift down to 4th when in Drive for no reason. It must be quite a hill before I feel it needs to downshift, the torque converter just does its thing when locked in 5th. When overtaking trucks from 80km/h, I drop it manually to 4th, speed up to 110km/h and then go up into 5th and restore the cruise control.

My FIL does the same to lock his 4 speed in 4th and it works a treat.

Then you get the 8 speed in the new 2.4 that my father drives, that is just a whole new world, but it's of topic so will stop there

2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hendel1986 For This Useful Post:

I drive the PS 2.5 4x4 5 speed automatic so cannot comment on the 3.2 automatic which was a 4 speed. Many posters mentioned that for hard towing the 3.2 4 speed automatic is the preferred option.

I, to date have not experienced over "hunting" between 5Th, 4th and the locked 5th gear while using the speed control. With the 2.5 5 speed automatic I just flip the + paddle if she shifts down, if it is not a steep incline, and once levelled out, just hold the + paddle to get her back in full automatic again.

Having said all this, I have not towed a camping trailer of caravan, so cannot comment on the behaviour of the 2.5 4x4 automatic while towing.

I have rented the Fortuner 4x4 automatic top model and the smaller engined model a couple of times, and my comparative conclusion is that my PS has the better "feel".

As many posters commented, the turbo lag can catch you off guard, I eventually installed the Turbo+ Throttle Controller which solved that issue.

Without the Throttle Controller one can "feather" the throttle and use the paddles, which improves the throttle response slightly, but you can still be caught off guard. The Fortuners I rented had less of a turbo lag.

In principal the mechanical side of the boxes is very similar between the Toyota's and the Mistu's as both utilize/have utilized the AISIN and JATCO boxes for years. Many spare parts for the Mitsu's can actually be bought at Toyota.

However, the programming in the Mitsu's is very good. The 5 speed box in the gen 3 and gen 4 big Pajero's are fantastically matched to the big 3.2 4 pot and I have heard good things about the 4 speed box in the PS 3.2. I have not driven a v6 Prado (I have driven an old KZTE and that box could be better), but I have extensive experience with a v6 hilux with the 5 speed auto which I think is nicely matched but that does not have speed control so cannot judge with respect to the gearing down issue. I can say that in my gen 4 Pajero 3.2 I avoid cruise control on very hilly terrain because it often gears down from 5th to 4th when trying to maintain 130kph or so and it rev's too high for my liking in 4th (4th taps out at about 140kph). You can however use tiptronic in the Mitsu and force it back to 5th even in cruise (I avoid this if the hill is too steep). Mitsu also has a learning algorithm in their boxes that analyses your driving style. It can be very lazy and laid back or super sporty depending on how you have been driving the car (10 shifts and it learns). The quickest way to teach it is to use tip-tronic.

The 3.2 common-rail motor is a real gem and has been refined really well. The boxes are reliable as long as they are serviced on time. Together, If you maintain it well you will probably get a long long life and probably only sell because you want something different.

Cheers.
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2021/01/06 at 10:35 AM.

Thanks for valuable answers, does the 3.2 PS also have the gear shifters (I assume yes due to your answers). Thats what the 120 Prado V6 doesnt have and it could have allowed one to keep it in a certain gear when cruising on speed control.

So the 3.2 has 4 speed auto and 2.5 has 5 speed.

Did they make any notable changes to traction control and stability control from the 3.2 to the 2.5?

Appreciate

Thanks for valuable answers, does the 3.2 PS also have the gear shifters (I assume yes due to your answers). Thats what the 120 Prado V6 doesnt have and it could have allowed one to keep it in a certain gear when cruising on speed control.

So the 3.2 has 4 speed auto and 2.5 has 5 speed.

Did they make any notable changes to traction control and stability control from the 3.2 to the 2.5?

Appreciate
    You could have selected 4th gear in the Prado, too. Even without flappy paddles...
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

19. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Thys Willemse View Post
    I have not towed a camping trailer of caravan, so cannot comment on the behaviour of the 2.5 4x4 automatic while towing.
    I tow with my 2.5 often, doing around 400km of it roughly every 2-3 weeks. To me there is no difference in driving feel if I am towing or just driving down to the shops, you only know you are towing when you look in the mirrors. CC works perfectly fine although I only ever make use of CC when traveling highways and just use the paddles to make adjustments if needed which is rare. My camping trailer all up is around 700kg max so it is also not the heaviest thing to pull around.

I have averaged around 7.5-8km/L my last 3 towing trips keeping the box in 4H, measured at the pump as I find onboard consumption readout is normally heavier by around 0.5-1km/L (8km/L at the pump is 7km/L on the onboard).
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 4x4 AT
    2016 Mazda CX-5 2.5 AT

OK, maybe I should have asked the question on this forum at the time :-) But I have friends with Prados who can benefit from this info, how do you do it (mine was 5 speed if I recall correctly)

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    You could have selected 4th gear in the Prado, too. Even without flappy paddles...

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu Fan View Post

Pros of the 3.2:
    Torque spread better.
    Less turbo lag

Pros 2.4:
    Lower fuel consumption
    The Pajero upgraded from 121 kw to 140 kw in mid 2010
    Last edited by Bostokkelos; 2021/01/06 at 11:18 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Bostokkelos For This Useful Post:

OK, maybe I should have asked the question on this forum at the time :-) But I have friends with Prados who can benefit from this info, how do you do it (mine was 5 speed if I recall correctly)
    On that Prado 5 speed gearbox you have the settings:
    P- park
    R- Reverse
    N- Neutral
    D- Drive
    4- 4th gear
    3- 3rd
    2- 2nd
    L- 1st

If you select any of the gears below D (4, 3, 2, L) you limit the gearbox to shift between 1st and the selected gear. That is the case with most conventional automatic gearboxes that don't have Tiptronic or similar options simulating manual gearshift. With the V6 Prado when approaching an incline in 5th gear (D selected) which is a very tall overdrive gear, the speed might bleed off a little quickly and in order to get back to the speed set in cruise control the gearbox would shift down from 5th to 3rd gear, which is uncomfortable.
    The 4th gear got a noticeably lower gear ratio and normal inclines won't cause the gearbox to downshift.
    At around 120 km/h there is about 900 rpm difference between 4th and 5th gear on the V6 with the 5 speed automatic.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

25. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

I have 3.2 4speed Sport. My son has 3.2 5speed Gen4. When we diced, we stayed 99% next to each other. Only about a foot changed between gear changes up to 140kmh. Air con off, only auto mode.
    I though I might win as I wrongly thought the Sport was lighter. But on license disc 90Kg heavier than Gen 4 . Fuel consumption very much the same. Sport rides softer on gravel rd. Gen4 seats better quality in front.
    Final drive gearboxes seems to be the same judging from revs at same speed.
    Done almost 400k km on my previous Gen3 5 speed. Can't tell difference really between the 4 and 5 speed.
    Like my Sport better when off road as much better clearances and narrower.
    Just my short summary on some info.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobus RDW For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2