New Guy - 76 SW - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New Guy - 76 SW

Default Re: New Guy - 76 SW

Quote Originally Posted by JWR View Post
    We have done a few here in Namibia, one drawback of the conversion is that the 2nd gear ratio increase also , causing quite a big gap from 1st to 2nd. On a standard engine yu will have to really wind it up in 1st to keep it in the powerband when going into 2nd gear . Very annoying in the dunes. When engine is chipped the problem is not that bad anymore . This is the main reason why Toyota SA stuck to the lower ratios because South Africans tend to load to the max and pull massive trailers .
    That is something I didn't consider. Would the gap between 1st and 2nd be a big issue in normal driving conditions?

If you calculate cost of ownership you should also consider resale value at the end and compare that with some other makes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JCARS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by emdebeer View Post
    Would the gap between 1st and 2nd be a big issue in normal driving conditions?
    1st gear on an unladen V8 is seldom necessary. In town, I use 2nd, 3rd and 5th only. Pull away in 2nd, by the time you reach the top end end of 3rd you are already doing 60, so 4th not needed.

As for maintenance, I do all mine myself, so the maintenance costs quoted earlier, well, let's just say that Toyota saw him coming! I recently replaced brake pads, front and rear, for R780, nowhere near the R3.5k in the earlier post.

Oil change is probably the most expensive part. 10l for the motor, 5.2l for the diffs, 1.5l for the TC and 2.7l for the gearbox. Airfilter and diesel filter are also relatively expensive at about R2k for the 2.

The V8 however doesn't use a cam belt, something which I know the dealers charge a fortune for normally.
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2020/12/28 at 04:22 PM.
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

That is something I didn't consider. Would the gap between 1st and 2nd be a big issue in normal driving conditions?
    Only really an issue when towing and with heavy loads! ( Normal Cruiser usage here in Nam)
    Jörg Reddig

1995 Discovery V8 ( Thor intake system , controlled by Spitronics Mercury 2)
    Land Rover 3.9 V8 " Defender 90 " Under Construction
    2021 Hilux Legend D/CAB ( Company Vehicle)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JWR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JCARS View Post
    If you calculate cost of ownership you should also consider resale value at the end and compare that with some other makes.
    Very valid point!!

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Yes 2.3 getting harsh if empty. 1.8 is for gravel roads. I use 2.1 on all four, mostly empty. But play around still as the type and size tyres may react different.
    Thanks for this! I tried 2.1 all round and think it is a good compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    That V8 growl is addictive!
    I have bigger tyres on my dc, but if I were you I would not go this route. It will increase weight and fuel consumption.
    I would rather spend money on gearbox from swartjan or new ome or equivalent suspension.
    Thanks very much Pieter. My feeling as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ghouwens View Post
    1st gear on an unladen V8 is seldom necessary. In town, I use 2nd, 3rd and 5th only. Pull away in 2nd, by the time you reach the top end end of 3rd you are already doing 60, so 4th not needed.
    I remember reading somewhere that pulling away in 2nd is not recommended due to potential gearbox damage? Having said that, I also felt that 2nd is ideal for pulling away under normal circumstances.

5th is still too "short" though, isn't it? I can imagine that a longer 5th gear would change the feel of the car completely.

2nd isn't bad for all boxes
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Hi Guys
    more comfortable on the open road. Look at seatlifters and armrest

Road holding is also not great...the car wallows into corners and steering is very vague. The current tire pressure is 1.8 bar in contrast to the recommended 2.3/2.4 (which I haven't tried yet). Go back to standard and consider 2.6 at the front

There seems to be almost no storage space for things like house keys, wallet, cellphone and such. Any ideas about changing this?
    Have a look at Geesmo.co.za

For storage space maybe look at the Toyota Centre console Tray! Cost R1108.60
    This is a Genuine Toyota accessory ( from Namib Cruiser)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JWR; 2020/12/29 at 09:34 AM.
    Jörg Reddig

1995 Discovery V8 ( Thor intake system , controlled by Spitronics Mercury 2)
    Land Rover 3.9 V8 " Defender 90 " Under Construction
    2021 Hilux Legend D/CAB ( Company Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by JWR View Post
    For storage space maybe look at the Toyota Centre console Tray! Cost R1108.60
    This is what I have fitted in my LC. Works a treat. Purchased mine here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...76a84c4dzA3szE

I am also busy building a roof console for things like sunglasses, wallets, maps etc. etc. Will post some pics in the Fabrication section when it is done.

5th is still too "short" though, isn't it? I can imagine that a longer 5th gear would change the feel of the car completely.
    Yes, 5th is a little short IMO, but it is awesome when overtaking as there is no need to gear back to 4th. Don't know if this would be the case in a stock vehicle as mine has been chipped and has oodles of grunt on tap.
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2020/12/29 at 09:26 AM.
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    2nd isn't bad for all boxes
    I might be mistaken but I think it is mentioned in the owners manual?

I remember reading somewhere that pulling away in 2nd is not recommended due to potential gearbox damage? Having said that, I also felt that 2nd is ideal for pulling away under normal circumstances.

You won't break the H151/2F gearbox. The R151F gearbox in the 4.2 is not so strong and some 5th. gear failures in a certain VIN # range appeared.

Hi GuysI very impulsively last week bought a 2016 Cruiser 76 with 7500km on the clock. The car looks as new, as it should, as it was basically never used. The idea was for the Cruiser to be my daily driver, replacing my Ford Wild Track with which I have done close to 80 000km the last 3 years.To be honest, it feels like I made a huge mistake...but speaking to a few other Cruiser owners it seems like many guys feel the same way initially. In order to make this work I'm going to have to change a few things to make the car more comfortable on the open road. I'm at a bit of a loss about where to start. The very low gearing which makes you search for a 6th gear all the time is probably top of the list. I see some guys fit larger diameter tires. Is this likely to solve the issue or would one have to change gearing ratios?Road holding is also not great...the car wallows into corners and steering is very vague. The current tire pressure is 1.8 bar in contrast to the recommended 2.3/2.4 (which I haven't tried yet). I see many guys run 1.8 on the standard tires though. Would a change of tire and/or tire pressure be worth while? I can imagine that 4 year old tires might possibly have flat spots and not be ideal. There seems to be almost no storage space for things like house keys, wallet, cellphone and such. Any ideas about changing this?Any thoughts regarding this apart from the fact that I probably bought a car that doesn't suit my needs?
    The 70 series cruiser is the heavy duty vehicles of the cruiser range, never intended toe be a daily city vehicle BUT if you willing to spend some money it can become a comfortable vehicle. Replace the suspension, do the 2nd and 5th gearbox mod to sort the 6th gear that you are missing, fit a centre console for some storage space and you will have a formidable 4x4 vehicle that no other vehicle can match. You can go bigger on tyres but that drain engine power. I have owned a view of them and love the 70 series. If you need more info please feel free to contact me on 082 304 5482, Regards Andre

I might be mistaken but I think it is mentioned in the owners manual?
    Read what I said.

The VW T3 5-speed manual was perfectly suited to pulling off in 2nd.

If 1st and 2nd gear on your LC76 is so low that you can pull off in 2nd, then get bigger tyres. Because your ratios don't match your tyre diameter. It will solve some of the 5th gear problem.

Jeep Wrangler Rubicons are geared for bigger tyres: in other words, Jeep is tacitly saying "please fit bigger tyres".
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

The op should just stick with what he has or buy something more appropriate. These vehicles are amazing tanks but tanks nevertheless, I wouldn't want to use one as an urban daily driver.

Hi Guys
    more comfortable on the open road. Look at seatlifters and armrest

Road holding is also not great...the car wallows into corners and steering is very vague. The current tire pressure is 1.8 bar in contrast to the recommended 2.3/2.4 (which I haven't tried yet). Go back to standard and consider 2.6 at the front

There seems to be almost no storage space for things like house keys, wallet, cellphone and such. Any ideas about changing this?
    Have a look at Geesmo.co.za

Hi Pieter

Seatlifters and armrest? Would you mind elaborating please?

Thanks, I'll try the 2.6. I have to say 2.1 all round worked well. The annoying "under steer" is still there but I expect that is unavoidable with the suspension design on the car.

I had a look at Geesmo, thanks. Interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by PierredW View Post
    You won't break the H151/2F gearbox. The R151F gearbox in the 4.2 is not so strong and some 5th. gear failures in a certain VIN # range appeared.
    Thanks Pierre!

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Bos View Post
    The 70 series cruiser is the heavy duty vehicles of the cruiser range, never intended toe be a daily city vehicle BUT if you willing to spend some money it can become a comfortable vehicle. Replace the suspension, do the 2nd and 5th gearbox mod to sort the 6th gear that you are missing, fit a centre console for some storage space and you will have a formidable 4x4 vehicle that no other vehicle can match. You can go bigger on tyres but that drain engine power. I have owned a view of them and love the 70 series. If you need more info please feel free to contact me on 082 304 5482, Regards Andre
    Thanks Andre!! I'll contact you next week if that is okay.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to emdebeer For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast