New Guy - 76 SW

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New Guy - 76 SW

Default New Guy - 76 SW

Hi Guys
    I very impulsively last week bought a 2016 Cruiser 76 with 7500km on the clock. The car looks as new, as it should, as it was basically never used. The idea was for the Cruiser to be my daily driver, replacing my Ford Wild Track with which I have done close to 80 000km the last 3 years.To be honest, it feels like I made a huge mistake...but speaking to a few other Cruiser owners it seems like many guys feel the same way initially. In order to make this work I'm going to have to change a few things to make the car more comfortable on the open road.

I'm at a bit of a loss about where to start. The very low gearing which makes you search for a 6th gear all the time is probably top of the list. I see some guys fit larger diameter tires. Is this likely to solve the issue or would one have to change gearing ratios?

Road holding is also not great...the car wallows into corners and steering is very vague. The current tire pressure is 1.8 bar in contrast to the recommended 2.3/2.4 (which I haven't tried yet). I see many guys run 1.8 on the standard tires though. Would a change of tire and/or tire pressure be worth while? I can imagine that 4 year old tires might possibly have flat spots and not be ideal.

There seems to be almost no storage space for things like house keys, wallet, cellphone and such. Any ideas about changing this?

Any thoughts regarding this apart from the fact that I probably bought a car that doesn't suit my needs?

Default Re: New Guy - 76 SW

I owned one too, hopefully yours is a V8......otherwise good luck. Mine was a 4.2 Diesel and was slow as a tortoise but indestructible!!
    Cruisers was built to tame Africa and not a daily drive around car no matter what people tell you !! I bought a Hilux in its place and it is a far superior daily drive than the cruiser. Luckily you wont have a hard time selling it if you realise you dont want to drive it every day

Quote Originally Posted by kallie404 View Post
    I owned one too, hopefully yours is a V8......otherwise good luck. Mine was a 4.2 Diesel and was slow as a tortoise but indestructible!!
    Cruisers was built to tame Africa and not a daily drive around car no matter what people tell you !! I bought a Hilux in its place and it is a far superior daily drive than the cruiser. Luckily you wont have a hard time selling it if you realise you dont want to drive it every day
    Thanks Kallie! Yes, fortunately it is a V8.

Quote Originally Posted by emdebeer View Post
    Thanks Kallie! Yes, fortunately it is a V8.
    Then there is hope !!!. Great vehicles but very very expensive to maintain.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kallie404 For This Useful Post:

What is your budget?

i have owned a few, and can give you my input but first need to know what you can and can not spend?

Bigger sized tyre makes a big diffrence! But i know you can get a mod done on the ratios aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Frikstervx200 View Post
    What is your budget?

i have owned a few, and can give you my input but first need to know what you can and can not spend?

Bigger sized tyre makes a big diffrence! But i know you can get a mod done on the ratios aswell.
    Difficult question. I bought it a week ago for R699k and added a tow bar, rear view camera, extended warranty, tinted smash and grab windows which brought the total to R732k. I suppose if I knew it was going to be worth it I could spend a bit more on it. I'm a bit hesitant about overspending on it though. Might be best to cut my losses?
    Last edited by emdebeer; 2020/12/26 at 07:42 AM.

Sell it asap ?
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Sell it asap ?
    I'm afraid that might be the best solution.

Give yourself a "cooling down" window, and see how the Cruiser works for you after a bit more usage. Comparing it in terms of every day practicality with the WildTrack will always see it coming a distant 2nd place. But it will still be vibrant and alive long after the WildTrack has been recycled (or any other doublecab for that matter).

See it for what it is.

I agree on the gearing, I have driven the V8 quite a lot, and was forever trying to hook a non-existant 6th.

That and the high maintenance cost (my experience 1st hand - we used the V8's in our farming ops), probably the biggest drawbacks.

But it remains a smile-generator of note.
    Jaco Nell

Quote Originally Posted by emdebeer View Post
    I'm afraid that might be the best solution.
    Perhaps a sale cooling off period , check all terms & conditions.

Ford Figo 2016

12. The Following User Says Thank You to duncang For This Useful Post:

In the late 80's I went from a 16valve Golf GTi Executive to a Land Cruiser Station Wagon, so I fully understand your position.
    Your new Land Cruiser is not going to be able to reach your daily drive expectations, no matter how much you try and modify it. My advice is to adjust your expectations and even the way you commute and drive. Buy into the whole Land Cruiser "vibe", or sell it.
    I have so much respect for the Land Cruiser brand that I hope you get to like and keep it.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2020/12/26 at 06:42 AM.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

I went through the same, and ended up selling the Cruiser at a loss. Was very unimpressed with the vehicle.
    George Moustakis
    Disco 4 XS

16. The Following User Says Thank You to wildhunter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    Give yourself a "cooling down" window, and see how the Cruiser works for you after a bit more usage. Comparing it in terms of every day practicality with the WildTrack will always see it coming a distant 2nd place. But it will still be vibrant and alive long after the WildTrack has been recycled (or any other doublecab for that matter).

See it for what it is.

I agree on the gearing, I have driven the V8 quite a lot, and was forever trying to hook a non-existant 6th.

That and the high maintenance cost (my experience 1st hand - we used the V8's in our farming ops), probably the biggest drawbacks.

But it remains a smile-generator of note.
    High maintenance cost is something I haven't even factored in yet. If the "cost/smile" ratio is worth it it would be okay. At the moment I wonder whether that would be the case.

As a daily drive its not the ideal vehicle, but depends how much you use it just for running around, and if its only used for running around, then surely it was a mistake maybe. If use for touring etc. also, consider adding a smaller/cheaper vehicle for the running around, then that cruiser will last for many years, and you will still get a good value even after 10 years or more if you want to replace it.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Perhaps a sale cooling off period , check all terms & conditions.
    Thanks, might be worth investigating. I took delivery of it last week Saturday and sent the dealer a message on Monday morning telling him that the car won't serve my purpose. I feel a bit stupid returning the car that soon. But the sooner the better I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    In the late 80's I went from a 16valve Golf GTi Executive to a Land Cruiser Station Wagon, so I fully understand your position.
    Your new Land Cruiser is not going to be able to reach your daily drive expectations, no matter how much you try and modify it. My advice is to adjust your expectations and even the way you commute and drive. Buy into the whole Land Cruiser "vibe", or sell it.
    I have so much respect for the Land Cruiser brand that I hope you get to like and keep it.
    Thanks, good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by wildhunter View Post
    I went through the same, and ended up selling the Cruiser at a loss. Was very unimpressed with the vehicle.
    I fear I might end up doing the same. Don't get me wrong, I think it will be an awesome vehicle driving through the bush. But 90% of my application will be tar road, where I think the Cruiser might be highly frustrating.

Read up on all the newish CPA rules today

Ford Figo 2016

23. The Following User Says Thank You to duncang For This Useful Post:

This type of thing happens more often than most people would like to admit, at least you are man enough to admit it, hats off.

People get or buy new things, or do something because of the idea, they like the image or idea of something, being a new a car, new dog,new wife or what ever it might be, without really looking into it, and we all fall into that trap sometimes. Most people just suffer because they dont want to admit it.

The 76 v8 is an awesome vehicle, for its purpose, as mentioned, and, as you have learned quickly, the purpose is not a daily driver. Instead of spending a ton of money on the 76 now to try make it something it is not, and risking losing it all if you later decide to resell, rather get a small and cheap run around car/bakkie, while getiing used to the Cruiser.

If you really only need a 90% tar daily driver, and don't see yourself doing a few overland trips etc in the near future, well then, I think trying to reverse the sale will be the better option.
    Nissan Hardbody 3.3v6
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5dci Manual (Wife's)
    1966 Datsun Bluebird
    Wildebeest Kalfie

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Makro For This Useful Post:

Very odd to see that people buy cars without test driving it. How a car turns, steering feel and engine noise should have been obvious.
    Please, avoid future mistakes and test drive properly.

This aside, yes, go and inflate your tires, the easiest and cheapest thing to test. But it won't change the fact that the cruiser has a solid front axle, steering feel will stay vague.

You can improve the cup/key holders at BigCountry, they some decent solutions.

The right option, if you want to keep the car, is to adjust your driving style. Lower your corner entry speed, be more smooth with your steering inputs.
    This sounds like the advice I usually give at track days, If I use the same driving style in a Honda S2000 as in a Subaru STI on slicks I can't blame the Honda, I should have adjusted my speed and inputs because the cars behave very differently.

If this is something that you don't want to do, then I highly recommend the you sell the car. The Cruiser will always be heavy, and noisy and steer like a truck, it also has much longer braking distances than a IFS vehicle.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast