Default Ford Ranger T6 DC Rear Fridge Platform

Thought Iíd share a little DIY project that may be of use to others. When buying our first 4x4 recently, it was tough to decide between a club-cab or double cab. We donít have kids so I hate the idea of ďwastingĒ the space in the rear seat area, that could be used for packing or for a fridge etc. On the other hand, there are always scenarios when camping with family that someone else wants to jump in the back. So that argument won and we bought the D/C.

What a pleasant surprise when I found out the rear seats can fold completely vertical, leaving a huge space to be utilised as one would a club-cab.

Set to work immediately searching for some kind of deck to lay flat in the back for this purpose. Couldnít find anything available anywhere in SA. Reached out to a fitment center who quoted me R6800 to do a custom build from aluminium. Decided to take it on as my first DIY project instead:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3482.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	600071

Name:	IMG_3483.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	600072

Name:	IMG_3484.JPG 
Views:	209 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	600073

Name:	IMG_3487.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	600074

Name:	IMG_3485.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	600075

Name:	IMG_3486.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	600076

Used the following materials:
    1 x 16mm Supawood (MDF)
    Wood sealer/Vanish
    Various 6mm and 8mm Bolts, washers, screws
    Automotive carpet and glue
    2 x Cargo rails
    Spraypaint
    2 x Rivnuts
    2 x Adjustable Feet

The whole job cost me just over R2k, but it can probably be done cheaper. I had to pay for a full sheet of wood and bought some bolts and nuts and things that didnít work out as the design progressed. Most expensive items were the cargo rails, which I prefer for versatility, but there are many cheaper alternative options for adding mounting points, depending on how you plan to use the deck.

The trickiest part was figuring out how to secure the platform to the bakkie body underneath. Considered many different options that didnít work. Guy at work even did CAD drawings for me :-) First thing I did was put in 2 x bolts from above, on either side, that slot perfectly into the oval holes on the bakkie body. This means that the deck canít shift forward, backwards, left or right. Still bugged me that it could bounce up and down though, when going over a speed-bump or on a 4x4 trail. Wanted it secured properly to the vehicle, so that I could then secure items to the deck and rest assured they arenít going anywhere.

Final solution (courtesy of Charles over at Scout Developments in Alberton): We found two small holes on both sides of the bakkie, hiding under grey plastic caps. If you remove the caps and drill the holes slightly bigger, you can put in 8mm Rivnuts. Then you can just put two bolts in from above with washers, and screw them into the rivnuts. Works like a charm. Probably donít even need the other 4 bolts anymore, but I like the extra stability they add.

Anyway, Iíve just done my first trip, Pretoria to Knysna with the fridge strapped on top and plenty of added packing space. Setup works really well and the fridge doesnít have to work nearly as hard due to the lower temp.

Would highly recommend this as a DIY build for anyone wanting to add some versatility to their Ranger, at relatively low cost. If thereís enough interest Iíll put some work into detailing the dimensions, positions for the holes, and the exact materials I used and the suppliers.

Cheers all!

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sierra1X For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Ford Ranger T6 DC Rear Fridge Platform

Looks nice thanks for the info. I was just wondering if you get into an accident or even roll your vehicle will it be secure enough to protect you from the fridge?
    2014 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT 4x4 D/C Auto
    2018 Ford Everest 2.2 XLS 2x4 auto (SWAMBO)
    Echo 4 trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra1X View Post
    Thought Iíd share a little DIY project that may be of use to others. When buying our first 4x4 recently, it was tough to decide between a club-cab or double cab. We donít have kids so I hate the idea of ďwastingĒ the space in the rear seat area, that could be used for packing or for a fridge etc. On the other hand, there are always scenarios when camping with family that someone else wants to jump in the back. So that argument won and we bought the D/C.

What a pleasant surprise when I found out the rear seats can fold completely vertical, leaving a huge space to be utilised as one would a club-cab.

Set to work immediately searching for some kind of deck to lay flat in the back for this purpose. Couldnít find anything available anywhere in SA. Reached out to a fitment center who quoted me R6800 to do a custom build from aluminium. Decided to take it on as my first DIY project instead:

Name:	IMG_3482.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	600071

Name:	IMG_3483.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	600072

Name:	IMG_3484.JPG 
Views:	209 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	600073

Name:	IMG_3487.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	600074

Name:	IMG_3485.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	600075

Name:	IMG_3486.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	600076

Used the following materials:
    1 x 16mm Supawood (MDF)
    Wood sealer/Vanish
    Various 6mm and 8mm Bolts, washers, screws
    Automotive carpet and glue
    2 x Cargo rails
    Spraypaint
    2 x Rivnuts
    2 x Adjustable Feet

The whole job cost me just over R2k, but it can probably be done cheaper. I had to pay for a full sheet of wood and bought some bolts and nuts and things that didnít work out as the design progressed. Most expensive items were the cargo rails, which I prefer for versatility, but there are many cheaper alternative options for adding mounting points, depending on how you plan to use the deck.

The trickiest part was figuring out how to secure the platform to the bakkie body underneath. Considered many different options that didnít work. Guy at work even did CAD drawings for me :-) First thing I did was put in 2 x bolts from above, on either side, that slot perfectly into the oval holes on the bakkie body. This means that the deck canít shift forward, backwards, left or right. Still bugged me that it could bounce up and down though, when going over a speed-bump or on a 4x4 trail. Wanted it secured properly to the vehicle, so that I could then secure items to the deck and rest assured they arenít going anywhere.

Final solution (courtesy of Charles over at Scout Developments in Alberton): We found two small holes on both sides of the bakkie, hiding under grey plastic caps. If you remove the caps and drill the holes slightly bigger, you can put in 8mm Rivnuts. Then you can just put two bolts in from above with washers, and screw them into the rivnuts. Works like a charm. Probably donít even need the other 4 bolts anymore, but I like the extra stability they add.

Anyway, Iíve just done my first trip, Pretoria to Knysna with the fridge strapped on top and plenty of added packing space. Setup works really well and the fridge doesnít have to work nearly as hard due to the lower temp.

Would highly recommend this as a DIY build for anyone wanting to add some versatility to their Ranger, at relatively low cost. If thereís enough interest Iíll put some work into detailing the dimensions, positions for the holes, and the exact materials I used and the suppliers.

Cheers all!
    What an awesome Idea thanks for sharing I'll definitely try this myself for my Dec trip to Namibia.
    Does the back seat fit back in its position without removing the load bay.
    If you do have measurements nearby please share them with me.
    Thanks again Chris for this great idea.

Best regards
    Etienne Simon
    [email protected]
    083 785 7227
    Etienne Simon
    ZS1HQ
    Sutherland NC
    4x4 Action Group SA.
    GP0138

Toyota 4L Prado
    Ford Ranger 4x4 DC
    Challenger Bundu Basher Of-road trailer.

Is the back seat difficult to remove completely?

I love what you have done and am considering the same thing, in my mind though I had seen the back seat come out altogether for a trip, reinstall when back from a trip.

Please pm me the details - size etc. Can definitely see me doing this.
    2019 Ranger DC

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Looks nice thanks for the info. I was just wondering if you get into an accident or even roll your vehicle will it be secure enough to protect you from the fridge?
    The fridge is secured properly to the cargo rails which are secured properly to the platform, so even if the 2 x rivnuts/bolts holding the platform were to fail, it would be highly unlikely for the fridge to make it to the front of the bakkie somehow. With the passenger seat pushed back snugly up against the fridge, itís not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by simonel View Post
    What an awesome Idea thanks for sharing I'll definitely try this myself for my Dec trip to Namibia.
    Does the back seat fit back in its position without removing the load bay.
    If you do have measurements nearby please share them with me.
    Thanks again Chris for this great idea.

Best regards
    Etienne Simon
    [email protected]
    083 785 7227
    Hi Etienne

Apologies for the late reply. I havenít been on the forum in a while. Did you move on this project yet?

The backseat wonít go down with the load bay in place unfortunately, but itís so quick to remove, itís not a hassle at all. We donít use the back seat often, so I tend to just leave the platform in place. Itís actually quite handy around town for packing groceries or whatever.

Iíll see about posting them measurements over the weekend.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Wynsam View Post
    Is the back seat difficult to remove completely?

I love what you have done and am considering the same thing, in my mind though I had seen the back seat come out altogether for a trip, reinstall when back from a trip.

Please pm me the details - size etc. Can definitely see me doing this.
    Also initially considered taking out the backseat completely, but I reckon itís way more of a hassle. And then you need to store it somewhere. I suppose it depends how much space you need, but for us, this works perfectly.

Cheers!