Default Help me buying used land cruiser

Hi,

I found somebody offering a 2005 land cruiser (SC pick up- 4.2D HZJ Engine - 200 000 km's) for sale. I live in Europe where these cars are very difficult to find for various reasons. I am considering buying the vehicle but I am not familiar with the normal wear and tear one may expect for this sort of cars, this age and mileage.

Can anyone give me tips what to look for to find if the car has some major hidden defects or if the car has been abused ?

Thank you very much,

Alain

Default Re: Help me buying used land cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Alain1 View Post
    Hi,

I found somebody offering a 2005 land cruiser (SC pick up- 4.2D HZJ Engine - 200 000 km's) for sale. I live in Europe where these cars are very difficult to find for various reasons. I am considering buying the vehicle but I am not familiar with the normal wear and tear one may expect for this sort of cars, this age and mileage.

Can anyone give me tips what to look for to find if the car has some major hidden defects or if the car has been abused ?

Thank you very much,

Alain
    It is difficult to answer as there are many ways cars can be abused. Is the car in Europe? Can you inspect and test drive the car?

The 1HZ engine is about as reliable as an engine can be. 400k km would not bother me if it was serviced. Does it have a service record, that helps in knowing the history.
    Hard starting and smoking on startup could indicate some wear on the engine.

Make sure the car shifts into and out of 4x4 and low range, and also test the diff locks.

Normal wear for that car should be cosmetic, nothing mechanical at that age.

Post some pictures of it.

Henris on this forum offers an evaluation service for buyers. Look up his username and make contact with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone101 View Post
    Normal wear for that car should be cosmetic, nothing mechanical at that age.
    At 200k I think there would also be some mechanical wear and tear. Especially suspension? Mountings here and bushings there.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulWW View Post
    Henris on this forum offers an evaluation service for buyers. Look up his username and make contact with him.
    Yes I can help.

Contact me and we can have a look.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252