Nissan 1400 giving us hell - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Nissan 1400 giving us hell

Replace the dead plug and check the lead. Check spark and fuel supply. Check that the points gap is still correct. If not. Did you lubricate the cam on the points? When cold it runs fine? Check the coil/ spark when hot.
    Pieter Kemp.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

no mention has been made of the cylinder head, leaking valves, tappets , valve stem seals etc. i suspect its sucking air in somewhere on the inlet side of things.

If it starts normal and drives normal for a few kilos, it may be the condensor that has gone. Part no 22102 00801. When it cools down it will start like normal just for the same thing to happen again.
    Something else comes to mind. In the distributor is an earth wire usually called a pigtail. With every service we used to replace that. Part number is 22182 71311 as far as my memory goes. It maybe that the newer generation points comes with the pigtail attached.
    The resistor 22460 14615 on the coil may also contribute. It lowers the voltage on the coil to 9V.
    The coil itself can be at fault. Sometimes when a vehicle is left switched on the coil can get damaged, depending on the position of the points.
    Also check the ignition switch 48750 E4701 fits on the back of the steering lock. It is the electrical part of the ignition.
    For what its worth. Try to eliminate each thing seperately. Take it one at a time. I am sure it is a small little fault.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnMK For This Useful Post:

I noticed that I double-posted. Just to add something that also came to mind. On the side of the block is the pcvalve, a one-way crankcase breather valve. If the engine was smoking a lot it could have blocked this valve. The older valves could be taken apart and cleaned. Of late I have seen some fitted with a plastic valve. Partno. is 11810 18000.
    Last edited by JohnMK; 2020/12/28 at 06:29 PM. Reason: double posted

Quote Originally Posted by mondial8 View Post
    no mention has been made of the cylinder head, leaking valves, tappets , valve stem seals etc. i suspect its sucking air in somewhere on the inlet side of things.
    Valves/tappets have been mentioned multiple times!
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

Quote Originally Posted by gwenrb1 View Post
    Our Nissan 1400, is really giving us grey hair. It really got bad from the beginning of this year even though there were issues before. It just can't run long or idle without cutting out, also difficult to start.

What's been done:
    1)All minor things have been replaced (spark plugs, condenser, coil etc.)
    2) Brand new German Carburettor put in.
    3) Full cylinder overhaul with new pistons (cylinder boring and a new sleeve), done because the spark plugs were black with wet oil and clouds of white smoke.
    4) Fuel tank drained and cleaned

Now:
    1) Then ran 100kms (+-80km/Hr) before intermittently losing power and then cutting out entirely. (Couldn't restart)
    2) One new spark plug is now very black with what looks like carbon dust.

Hope someone can help.
    Those spark plugs looks exactly like the ones on my Mother's mk1 cressida. I tried everything changed the coil the plug wires set the carburetor nothing seemed to word it was missing and gave bad fuel consumption awell as at a stoplight it nearly dies. It ended up being the intake manifold gasket leaking in air at the cylinders that was light in color hope that might help I repalaced the gascet and the poblem has not been back in 6 years

Did you get the 1400 sorted?
    It will be interesting to hear what the problem was.
    On a side note, those engines doe not have loose sleeves, so they cannot be changed.
    Last edited by Spiceman; 2021/02/08 at 10:50 AM.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4