Nissan 1400 giving us hell - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Nissan 1400 giving us hell

Just re-read from the beginning.

Does it battle to start from cold?

Does it only cut out when it has warmed up?

Does it start again when it is warm?
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

Wink Re: Nissan 1400 giving us hell

Quote Originally Posted by Sam vd Merwe View Post
    My money is on valve clearance . And make 100% sure the points are flat and the gap is correct
    definitely the next step - but also we are checking the radiator, someone told us to flush it and check the pipes

Quote Originally Posted by ghouwens View Post
    Just re-read from the beginning.

Does it battle to start from cold?
    ​Yes
    Does it only cut out when it has warmed up?
    ​Yes
    Does it start again when it is warm?
    ​No, we have to wait till it cools

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    And here I thought financial number crunchers were not that practical, Sean

My money is still on the electrical side - too much difference for a carb, I think, if the mechanical side is fine on the piston side (compression and valve timing). BTW, I also did not see that the plugs were different - the first 3 look like NGK? and the 4th is something else
    <​That's thanks to our mechanic - the plugs went in brand new

He mentions the German carb. Probably the VW carb from the Golf. That carb is brilliant. On the VW it is also on a pre-cross flow setup.

Big thing is that all the vacume for that carb must be done properly. Else the performance can be unpredictable.

But yes. If it was the carb, the pkugs should all look the same.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gwenrb1 View Post
    €‹€‹No, we have to wait till it cools
    Valve clearances!

Remember that as the motor warms up, the valve stems will actually expand and become longer. (Thus the need for the clearances) If the clearances are too small, the longer warm valve stems will close the gaps completely, preventing the valves from sealing. You will then be loosing so much compression that combustion is virtually impossible.

Once the motor has cooled down, valve stems contract and the valves can seal again.

Do a compression check on the warm motor. You need in excess of 7 bar for proper combustion. If it is lower, set the valve clearances and check it again.
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2020/12/23 at 03:01 PM.
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ghouwens For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    So its a reverse-flow? Intake and exhaust on the same side?
    So for the 1st time I learn its reverse flow. Yes that engine MUST have the spacer to the carb.
    One test I will do when hot and it fails to start is to connect a timing light and see that all 4 cylinders give a flash while cranking. This will shown if the points, condenser, 5 contacts in dizzy cap is fine.
    Would it still start when cold if the rings are fried due to 20W50 oil?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

new does not equal good, could be faulty plug out of the box, or was dropped.

had a Mini with some similar problem (basically same engine), was either new rotor or new distributor cap, think it was faulty cap or gap between rotor and pickups to the plug leads.

can be the resistor in coil primary going open-circuit when hot, some coils need this resistor, others must not have it.

points plate may have a flexi earthing wire that is broken within insulation and you can't see the break.

I agree with possibly distributor worn bushes, plug leads, and likely more than one problem present....fuel boiling in carb a possibility (some models had water flow through part of inlet manifold, which may be more for cold weather but perhaps kept carb from overheating as well?)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KenBleekerKZN For This Useful Post:

After reading the thread, I suggest a proper mechanic who can diagnose a problem, not some chop with a computer or indeed an internet forum.

Any decent mechanic will start with this:

- spark
    - fuel
    - compression

and then move on into more detail, following the evidence to the actual issue:
    - spark timing
    - distributor condition
    - fuel flow
    - valve condition
    - valve timing
    - cam condition
    - etc

Sorry Gwen but there is no quick fix. Take it somewhere else, the current guy is taking your money but not adding value.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Had similar issues with my 1400 : Difficult to start but ran okay once started , took all the plugs out and cranked the engine , could see water vapour coming out of cylinders , head gasket blown.
    : Re did whole engine and head ,I would do a compression test as when tightening the rocker shaft bolts they strip very easily without even realizing it which could cause a loose rocker arm.
    : I blocked the water pipe to the intake manifold.
    : I fitted a Petronix electronic ignition , no need to change coil to electronic coil.
    : I fitted a new mechanical fuel pump which lasted 150Km then packed up , fitted electrical one.
    If it were me and it cut out while driving I would straight away put a timing light on the plugs to see if there is spark , if there is it is a fuel problem. I would also hot wire the car directly from the battery , some times there are electrical issues at the ignition switch or wiring to the coil etc. On a side note I fuel injected the engine and when I take the plugs out the number 3 plug is also sooty where the rest are fine , I can`t change much as it batch fires so I can`t set each intake separately but it runs like a bomb.
    Last edited by Andrew Rodrigues; 2020/12/24 at 08:06 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Rodrigues For This Useful Post:

Excessive can also cause a vapour lock. The effect would be the same. Percolation can usually be heard, like a bubbling.

Ethanol has a lower boiling point than petrol so either straight ethanol or a higher concentration of ethanol mixed in with the fuel will cause a vapour lock or percolatuon at a lower temp.

What fuel do you normally use Gwen?
    Last edited by Estee; 2020/12/23 at 04:15 PM.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Excessive can also cause a vapour lock. The effect would be the same. Percolation can usually be heard, like a bubbling.

Ethanol has a lower boiling point than petrol so either straight ethanol or a higher concentration of ethanol mixed in with the fuel will cause a vapour lock or percolatuon at a lower temp.

​Lead Free 95

18. The Following User Says Thank You to gwenrb1 For This Useful Post:

Cool Re: Nissan 1400 giving us hell

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    After reading the thread, I suggest a proper mechanic who can diagnose a problem, not some chop with a computer or indeed an internet forum.

Any decent mechanic will start with this:

- spark
    - fuel
    - compression

and then move on into more detail, following the evidence to the actual issue:
    - spark timing
    - distributor condition
    - fuel flow
    - valve condition
    - valve timing
    - cam condition
    - etc

Sorry Gwen but there is no quick fix. Take it somewhere else, the current guy is taking your money but not adding value.
    <​Don't talk I very few options to take it elsewhere, that's why i was hoping you guys had some suggestions. The Nissan is home for the moment so we are going to try a few things as suggested here, before she goes back. Have to buy a A frame tow-bar to help get her back, towing is a nightmare, the Ford is so big you don't know that you are towing anything lol

20. The Following User Says Thank You to gwenrb1 For This Useful Post:

Would the accelerater pump still work when the carb has a vapour lock or percolation takes place?

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Would the accelerater pump still work when the carb has a vapour lock or percolation takes place?
    Most cases yes, remember the fuel is boiling away in the chamber and the gasses and spilled fuel that went down the venturi is flooding it
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 2 td5.
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 v8i D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

I once was driving from Richards Bay to Durban in a company Nissan 1400 and had similar problems cruising along then jerking and stalling would not start then after fiddling about would get going again only for it to happen again had to get towed to Durban turns out the fuel filler cap has a breather hole in it that was blocked and was causing a vacuum in the fuel system.I had my own Nissan 1400 up until a few years back with electronic ignition fitted didn't give me a single problem in 5 years of ownership.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to travoski For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gwenrb1 View Post
    â€<​Don't talk I very few options to take it elsewhere, that's why i was hoping you guys had some suggestions. The Nissan is home for the moment so we are going to try a few things as suggested here, before she goes back. Have to buy a A frame tow-bar to help get her back, towing is a nightmare, the Ford is so big you don't know that you are towing anything lol
    I completely agree with Jelo. These engines are based on the Morris /Austin A engine from the 1950’s. used in Morris minors and later in minis, very low tech and no complicated electronics.

spark
    fuel
    compression

You need an old school mech or someone who knows how to do simple fault diagnosis. Plugs,leads,disributor points, tappet clearances and ignition timing. When that is sorted setting the carb.

Look for a grey beard who misses fiddling with these great old engines.
    2015 Navara 4x4 LE auto
    Camil Suspension, Long range tank, Snorkel

2004 Nissan Hardbody ZD30 4x4
    Camil suspension, Long range tank, Snorkel

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Babelaas For This Useful Post:

I owned a 1400 Nissan in the 1980ies. Looking at the plugs I'd go with a faulty plug lead to the plug that is burning black. If you are using the second hand Nissan (Asian) carb it has an idle cut-off valve that is electrically controled. When the ignition is switched off this valve closes. If this valve is faulty or not connected, the motor will not idle and starts with difficulty. You'll find the valve on the top of the carb and to test it is easy - when the ignition is switched on the valve will make a "click" noise. This opens the idel circuit in the carb.

These motors having mechanical ignition and don't hold their tune for that long - about 5000Km max. So the points gap and ignition timing has to be set often! Something modern cars don't suffer from with electronic ignition. The best tools for this job is a Dwell Meter to set the points gap and a Strobe Light for the ignition timing. Not many mechanics have these two tools these days due to all modern cars now using electrinic ignition. Also it must be noted that if the points gap in the distributor is adjusted, the ignition timing also has to be reset or at the very least checked!

The tappets on these motors are mechanical vs all modern motors that have hydraulic tappets - no adjustment needed! The Nissan's tappets have to be set at least every 10 000Km on a HOT motor. The plug burning black could also point to tappets on that cylinder that need adjustment - inlet and exhaust.

I owned a 1400 Nissan in the 1980ies. Looking at the plugs I'd go with a faulty plug lead to the plug that is burning black. If you are using the second hand Nissan (Asian) carb it has an idle cut-off valve that is electrically controled. When the ignition is switched off this valve closes. If this valve is faulty or not connected, the motor will not idle and starts with difficulty. You'll find the valve on the top of the carb and to test it is easy - when the ignition is switched on the valve will make a "click" noise. This opens the idel circuit in the carb.

These motors having mechanical ignition and don't hold their tune for that long - about 5000Km max. So the points gap and ignition timing has to be set often! Something modern cars don't suffer from with electronic ignition. The best tools for this job is a Dwell Meter to set the points gap and a Strobe Light for the ignition timing. Not many mechanics have these two tools these days due to all modern cars now using electrinic ignition. Also it must be noted that if the points gap in the distributor is adjusted, the ignition timing also has to be reset or at the very least checked!

The tappets on these motors are mechanical vs all modern motors that have hydraulic tappets - no adjustment needed! The Nissan's tappets have to be set at least every 10 000Km on a HOT motor. The plug burning black could also point to tappets on that cylinder that need adjustment - inlet and exhaust.

Sorry posted my reply twice!!!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast