North Coast road blocks - Beware - Page 2





Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 137
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,525
    Thanked: 1643

    Default Re: North Coast road blocks - Beware

    So, it begs the question - what was the OP towing, and with what vehicle?
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4 (workshop whore)


  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    40
    Posts
    526
    Thanked: 178

    Default Re: North Coast road blocks - Beware

    So with all this rain that we are having in Gauteng, my venter's license disc is smudging. would that be a problem?
    2018 Ford Everest XLT 3.2 4x4 Auto

    2013 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 LTZ 4x4 MT (SOLD)

    Photography : https://500px.com/c0rn3llman5
    Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX4..._as=subscriber

    My girlfriend asked me to whisper 4 special words into her ear... so I said : "Ons gaan NOU braai!"

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Garsfontein
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,377
    Thanked: 621

    Default Re: North Coast road blocks - Beware

    Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    So, it begs the question - what was the OP towing, and with what vehicle?
    My money is on a boat trailer.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to supersunbird For This Useful Post:


  5. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Harare & Brisbane
    Age
    61
    Posts
    487
    Thanked: 656

    Default Re: North Coast road blocks - Beware

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    Go to your tow vehicle and trailer/caravan and read the license discs.
    Is the trailer gvm figure higher than the tare of the tow vehicle? Then a nono.
    Quote Originally Posted by janseekat View Post
    Here an article from Carmag explaining the above issues.

    https://www.carmag.co.za/technical/t...-the-law-says/
    Thanks very much, I'm concerned. I'm in Australia, my Hilux is in Zimbabwe, my Bushlapa is in South Africa. According to what I can see online the tare of my vehicle is 1,770kgs and my vans GVM is 1,800kgs. I've asked people looking after them to verify. I assume if these figures are accurate I'm illegal.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

    Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanked: 2296

    Default Re: North Coast road blocks - Beware

    Quote Originally Posted by CornellMans View Post
    So with all this rain that we are having in Gauteng, my venter's license disc is smudging. would that be a problem?
    Take the original license form with you - the one from which you cut the disk. Should be fine.

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Molopo
    Posts
    415
    Thanked: 176

    Default Re: North Coast road blocks - Beware

    Quote Originally Posted by CornellMans View Post
    So with all this rain that we are having in Gauteng, my venter's license disc is smudging. would that be a problem?
    I normally stick see through tape on front and back of my trailer licence disk when I renew it. Leave a bit of overlap on the outside and stick together as well. It helps a lot to keep it from smudging.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to HannoK For This Useful Post:


  9. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Henties
    Posts
    3,681
    Thanked: 1241

    Default Re: North Coast road blocks - Beware

    Quote Originally Posted by Ama-newbie View Post
    Sounds sensible, although I don't recall ever having read that in any sales brochure or road test. I'll go check my manual (although I'm terrible at reading the manual, until AFTER I've needed the info )
    You won't find it in any sales brochure nor in your owner's manual. It's national law, that your trailer's GVM may not exceed the tow vehicle's tare, in case of a trailer with run in brakes. Read the rod traffic act, there you would find it.
    The manufacturer's limit might be more limiting though. E.g. you got a vehicle with a Tare of 2000 kg, the manufacturer says you may tow 1500 kg. In that case the manufacturer's limit being the more limiting would apply and not the limit of the road traffic act.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:


  11. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3,206
    Thanked: 1445

    Default Re: North Coast road blocks - Beware

    Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    So, it begs the question - what was the OP towing, and with what vehicle?
    Am towing a Ski Boat with GVM of 3500Kgs with Amarok of Tare 1874Kgs. Actual trailer mass is around 1900Kgs without Fuel and Rods etc.

    Anyway this is the combo that literally every Ski boat uses and I have just spent 27K upgrading to a disc braked oil filled axle. This is mostly a case of our traffic laws being drafted in about 1902 and never updated. This is why Nissan can confidently tell you that their 1 star NCAP hardbody meets all required safety legislation, or why the OEMs had to motivate endlessly for LED daytime running lights etc.

    Braking systems have moved on a little since the days of the 1956 Landrover Series 2, but the laws have never been amended.

    Anyway, anyone now towing a ski boat, car trailer are for sure illegal. I have done some pretty exhaustive searches on coupled brakes and there are no local options that I have been able to uncover.

    There is a fellow that has imported a controller from the US and fitted it to his boat trailer. Seems a bit sketchy as it runs on internal battery and is all electronic which is a bit questionable going into the sea!

    I tend to agree with Heinz that the overrun brakes are the most consistent system that actually work on a vehicle and the two mooted alternatives are potentialy unreliable it would seem.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:


  13. #29
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    57
    Posts
    5,931
    Thanked: 19693

    Default Re: North Coast road blocks - Beware

    My kop is alweer te plat

    The Hummer H3 has a GVW of 6 001 lbs or @ 2 722kgs.

    Kerb weight is 2 206kgs

    What weight would I be legally allowed to tow?
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

    Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

    ''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

    Hummer H3 V8

    W.A.P Objectivist

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:


  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,316
    Thanked: 157

    Default Re: North Coast road blocks - Beware

    Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    My kop is alweer te plat

    The Hummer H3 has a GVW of 6 001 lbs or @ 2 722kgs.

    Kerb weight is 2 206kgs

    What weight would I be legally allowed to tow?
    @Estee, the kerb weight of 2 206kgs is the one that is used.

    What people forget is that the if the GVM of the trailer / caravan exceeds the tare/kerb weight of the towing vehicle insurance companies could consider repudiating claims.

    2007 Disco3 (SWAMBO)
    2004 Merc platkar (SWAMBO) - no more
    gti-eater (opel gte)

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to vnitos For This Useful Post:


  17. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,316
    Thanked: 157

    Default Re: North Coast road blocks - Beware

    One of my boat trailersí GVM is indicated as 2500kgs - I have towed this boat on different occasions with the Range Rover and the Discovery - although the Range Roverís tare is indicated as only 98kgs more than that of the Discovery (2634kg vs 2536kgs) - the towing experience with the Range Rover is much better and more relaxed than the Discovery.

    2007 Disco3 (SWAMBO)
    2004 Merc platkar (SWAMBO) - no more
    gti-eater (opel gte)

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to vnitos For This Useful Post:


  19. #32
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    57
    Posts
    5,931
    Thanked: 19693

    Default Re: North Coast road blocks - Beware

    Quote Originally Posted by vnitos View Post
    One of my boat trailersí GVM is indicated as 2500kgs - I have towed this boat on different occasions with the Range Rover and the Discovery - although the Range Roverís tare is indicated as only 98kgs more than that of the Discovery (2634kg vs 2536kgs) - the towing experience with the Range Rover is much better and more relaxed than the Discovery.
    I believe the Range Rover brief originally included the ability to tow a double horse box with horses. I always found that I forgot I was towing something in the Rangies.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

    Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

    ''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

    Hummer H3 V8

    W.A.P Objectivist

  20. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,316
    Thanked: 157

    Default Re: North Coast road blocks - Beware

    Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    I believe the Range Rover brief originally included the ability to tow a double horse box with horses. I always found that I forgot I was towing something in the Rangies.
    Both the RR and Disco are 2007 models with very much the same technical specifications, i.e. Terrain Response, anti-sway, etc. It was actually very surprising as to up to that point I did not think that there would have been a difference between the 2.

    However, according to the books, the Range Rover does have 71kW and 133Nm (Range Rover is Supercharged) more torque than the Discovery - that could maybe a contributing factor in addition to better brakes and the difference in weight.

    The thing is that there are very few vehicles currently on the market with a tare/kerb weight in excess of 2500kgs, except the MB GLS, Toyota Landcruiser 200, Lexus LX570 and Nissan Patrol - all the Land Rover products (from 2013) are below 2500kgs.

    2007 Disco3 (SWAMBO)
    2004 Merc platkar (SWAMBO) - no more
    gti-eater (opel gte)

  21. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Magaliesig
    Age
    62
    Posts
    346
    Thanked: 584

    Default Re: North Coast road blocks - Beware

    Quote Originally Posted by CornellMans View Post
    So with all this rain that we are having in Gauteng, my venter's license disc is smudging. would that be a problem?
    What I did with my boat trailer, or motorbike, is get a colour photocopy of the license disk and then get the copy laminated and used that in the holder. NOT legal!!!! But for the boat I then used to carry the original in the car with me.

    On the Dakar I used to ride, my license disk got stolen once (the bastards just snapped off the license holder), so keeping the original was good to have to make another copy. On my scooter (oh, how times have changed!) I keep the license disk under the seat...

    I just hope that if I get stopped, I get an understanding spietcop.
    Rob Kirk

    Amarok V6.
    Sym 200 scooter 2 x 1, CVT transmission, 4V OHC, 11.4 kW, 15NM
    0-60km/h in about 10s (downhill), Top speed - 100km/h (on a steeper downhill)
    Ground clearance : 125mm on 16-inch rims
    Tare : 134kg, GVM : 250kg (approx), GCM : 250kg (approx), Towing capacity : 0kg
    Best of all : 4L/100km, town driving and pinning it...

  22. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    60
    Posts
    16,164
    Thanked: 2463

    Default Re: North Coast road blocks - Beware

    I carry a folder with me. In that are all my travel docs. Including the trailer licence.
    They understand why disc are not displayed on the trailer.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:


  24. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Henties
    Posts
    3,681
    Thanked: 1241

    Default Re: North Coast road blocks - Beware

    Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    Am towing a Ski Boat with GVM of 3500Kgs with Amarok of Tare 1874Kgs. Actual trailer mass is around 1900Kgs without Fuel and Rods etc.

    Anyway this is the combo that literally every Ski boat uses and I have just spent 27K upgrading to a disc braked oil filled axle. This is mostly a case of our traffic laws being drafted in about 1902 and never updated. This is why Nissan can confidently tell you that their 1 star NCAP hardbody meets all required safety legislation, or why the OEMs had to motivate endlessly for LED daytime running lights etc.

    Braking systems have moved on a little since the days of the 1956 Landrover Series 2, but the laws have never been amended.

    Anyway, anyone now towing a ski boat, car trailer are for sure illegal. I have done some pretty exhaustive searches on coupled brakes and there are no local options that I have been able to uncover.

    There is a fellow that has imported a controller from the US and fitted it to his boat trailer. Seems a bit sketchy as it runs on internal battery and is all electronic which is a bit questionable going into the sea!

    I tend to agree with Heinz that the overrun brakes are the most consistent system that actually work on a vehicle and the two mooted alternatives are potentialy unreliable it would seem.
    I understand your frustration and I am sure it is shared by many others. But is it really a case of outdated legislation, or does this limitation actually still make sense, seeing that there are many unpaved roads, like sand and gravel, in southern Africa? If a rig gets out of shape on tar, it is probably a lot easier to correct the situation than on a much less grippy surface. Your run in brakes can only work properly as long as the trailer is properly lined up with the vehicle. If the tow vehicle's tail steps out and the trailer will push it more and more to the side, rendering the run in brakes useless. That's where brake controllers come in, that the trailer can be braked on it's own.
    In countries with better developed infrastructure and a higher ratio of paved roads this concern might not be applicable and hence a higher tow weight might be allowed by law.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

  25. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Magalieskruin Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanked: 575

    Default Re: North Coast road blocks - Beware

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    I'm confused, please give an example with numbers to show what you mean, many thanks
    I have posted this on another thread. See below for clarity. This is on the Ford range of vehicles.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    HENK


  26. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Posts
    1,443
    Thanked: 1215

    Default Re: North Coast road blocks - Beware

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    Thanks very much, I'm concerned. I'm in Australia, my Hilux is in Zimbabwe, my Bushlapa is in South Africa. According to what I can see online the tare of my vehicle is 1,770kgs and my vans GVM is 1,800kgs. I've asked people looking after them to verify. I assume if these figures are accurate I'm illegal.
    I won't sweat it, you will be fine.

  27. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    58
    Posts
    40,380
    Thanked: 17104

    Default Re: North Coast road blocks - Beware

    Quote Originally Posted by vnitos View Post
    One of my boat trailersí GVM is indicated as 2500kgs - I have towed this boat on different occasions with the Range Rover and the Discovery - although the Range Roverís tare is indicated as only 98kgs more than that of the Discovery (2634kg vs 2536kgs) - the towing experience with the Range Rover is much better and more relaxed than the Discovery.
    and that is why I reckon people who tow anything more than 1T with a Jimny are not thinking
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  28. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    69
    Posts
    39
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: North Coast road blocks - Beware

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    I believe he means his trailer GVM was higher than the tow vehicle tare.

    True.

    That is illegal and rightly so.
    But then they should not 'deregister' the trailer?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •