Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 3

    Default 3.0TDCI - Driveline vibration under load

    Good day All,

    I have a 2011 Wildtrak with the WEAT motor.
    In September the gearbox had to come out and while the box was out I decided to replace the clutch and DMF as the bakkie was sitting on 273k km.
    Ever since the gearbox came out and went back in there has been a vibration between 1300 and 2800 rpm while under load. (The gearbbox came out to replace a broken detent ball spring and to replace the retaining plate that keeps the gearpack toghether).

    I did not do the work myself, a friend offered to have his guys pull and refit the gearbox as they were quiet.
    Due to me not doing the work myself or being present I wasn't sure if they damaged something whilst trying to get the box out. He didn't charge me for the work so I didn't want to go back and seem to be "undgrateful". I started by replacing the engine mountings as I saw a crack in one, then had the prop balanced and finally completely rebuilt after borrowing a prop from someone else to test. The prop made it marginally better but there's still a coarse vibration between 1300-2200 rpm. You can feel it while the bakkie is standing still in neutral at about 1500rpm.

    I am doubting about a lot of things now so I'm having the box pulled next week again to inspect everything myself.
    It feels like the vibration is getting worse but it could also be me getting more worked up about it everytime I feel it.
    Deep down inside I hope there's dirt or something between the crank and the DMF.

    Now the question I want to ask..

    Has anyone on the forum ever experienced a dud flywheel or unbalanced clutch assembly? It was all brand new LUK items.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,534
    Thanked: 1654

    Default Re: 3.0TDCI - Driveline vibration under load

    Have a look at the gearbox mounting, if it has perished rubber and or a bit of excessive movement.

    Do you have any vibration when stationary and engine at idle?

    My 3.0 Ranger has a lekker strong vibration at idle (750 RPM) and that is attributed to my DMF not being too great anymore I was told. But not when I increase the RPM just a bit and nothing under full acceleration.
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4 (workshop whore)


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    850
    Thanked: 904

    Default Re: 3.0TDCI - Driveline vibration under load

    I had my DMF locked up, welded together and balanced. Its some time ago. Only balance issue I have is at idle, out of gear and clutch out.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: 3.0TDCI - Driveline vibration under load

    Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    Have a look at the gearbox mounting, if it has perished rubber and or a bit of excessive movement.

    Do you have any vibration when stationary and engine at idle?

    My 3.0 Ranger has a lekker strong vibration at idle (750 RPM) and that is attributed to my DMF not being too great anymore I was told. But not when I increase the RPM just a bit and nothing under full acceleration.
    The gearbox mounting is still perfect. I had it out and inspected it when the box came out for repairs.
    The bakkie feels find at idle when stationary, but when you rev it up slowly you feel a vibration.
    I'm just bummed that I spent all this money on a new clutch and flywheel and now the box must come out again.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    3,483
    Thanked: 5860

    Default Re: 3.0TDCI - Driveline vibration under load

    Have you checked the universals?
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    850
    Thanked: 904

    Default Re: 3.0TDCI - Driveline vibration under load

    I have a feeling that the clutch/DMF is a dud. But it could be balanced.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,534
    Thanked: 1654

    Default Re: 3.0TDCI - Driveline vibration under load

    Quote Originally Posted by warrenk View Post
    The gearbox mounting is still perfect. I had it out and inspected it when the box came out for repairs.
    The bakkie feels find at idle when stationary, but when you rev it up slowly you feel a vibration.
    I'm just bummed that I spent all this money on a new clutch and flywheel and now the box must come out again.

    Yeah, its not a cheap endeavor to replace the clutch & DMF.

    Could be a dud clutch, but ja only way to know is to remove it.... its such a schlep.

    I bought a LUK DMF & Clutchkit recently for a good price (brand new newer fitted - used) but have not yet had the time to get it fitted. Hoping I resolve my idle vibrations but now I am worried about the brand LUK
    Last edited by WAJ; 2020/12/16 at 02:03 PM.
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4 (workshop whore)


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    62
    Posts
    82
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: 3.0TDCI - Driveline vibration under load

    As far as I can ascertain, LUK is the OE brand. Brother in law fitted a new clutch and DMF recenly and, so far, he is happy. Best price in our area was at Goldwagen which was less than half the agents price, apparently also a LUK. Makes one think.....
    Graham

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gas1 For This Useful Post:


  10. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: 3.0TDCI - Driveline vibration under load

    We found the problem and it was something silly and stupid that I overlooked every time I got in under the bakkie.

    The aluminium OE transfer case bash plate was "dented" and was pushing up against the bottom of the transfer case. I suspect they guys that took the box out jacked it up there.

    Pushed it back out using a press and the bakkie is back to normal.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warrenk For This Useful Post:


  12. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    850
    Thanked: 904

    Default Re: 3.0TDCI - Driveline vibration under load

    Quote Originally Posted by warrenk View Post
    We found the problem and it was something silly and stupid that I overlooked every time I got in under the bakkie.

    The aluminium OE transfer case bash plate was "dented" and was pushing up against the bottom of the transfer case. I suspect they guys that took the box out jacked it up there.

    Pushed it back out using a press and the bakkie is back to normal.
    I lnow exactly what you are talkinh about. About every time I go out 4x4'ing, I have to remove it and persuade it with a 4lb hammer. Its unimagineable that such a plate can create such a vibration but it does.
    I'm glad you got it sorted.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •