Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Dust Dust Dust Dust ( Toyota GD 6 2016)

My Toyota Hilux SRX 4x4 ( 04/2016 ) model seems to have dust entry problem , I have experienced a lot of dust entry thru the doors , Now how do i resolve this as it spoils my day when i wanna go full 4x4 in the dusty plains ?

And is there any campaign i might have missed to address this problem , The first GD6's were riddled with problems yet some of us missed the campaigns and ended up footing the bill for such.

please advise.
    Toyota
    2016 Toyota 2.4 GD-6 4x4 SRX DC MT

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrbiggestr24 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Dust Dust Dust Dust ( Toyota GD 6 2016)

do you set your AC to pull in air from outside instead of circulating in-cabin air?
    Letting it pull fresh air in from outside helps to build pressure inside the cabin and less dust ingestion due to a "vacuum" effect.
    Walter aka "Meerkat"
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE
    https://www.facebook.com/kepanamibia/

My heart beats to an African Bush drum...

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:

Are all the grommets/rubber seals still there, properly seated and whole? Look underneath your vehicle. Also the engine bay and behind the seats.
    Groot berge en lang grondpaaie

I had a 2016 2.8GD 6 4x4 double cab that was plagued with dust ingression as well as other problems. Yes there was a mod that Toyota did to dust proof the vehicle.
    The vehicle was booked into the selling dealer after 2 months of waiting for the parts from Toyota and took a week to fit. Everything and I mean everything was removed from inside the vehicle, dash, seats, mats, and door panels. Needless to say the vehicle was then dust proofed. It took another 8 months of sending the vehicle back to Toyota to sort out small problems, like the steering rod from the steering wheel into the universal fitting was never tightened, some scary moments when the steering did not work properly and slipped on the splines, rattles etc. Eventually after other problems I sold the vehicle back to Toyota.

So good luck trying to get Toyota to sort it out
    Neil Sauls

Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo 3Lt V6 4x4

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NeilMac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AboutAfrica View Post
    do you set your AC to pull in air from outside instead of circulating in-cabin air?
    Letting it pull fresh air in from outside helps to build pressure inside the cabin and less dust ingestion due to a "vacuum" effect.

Doesnt having it pull air from outside , make it let in dust also?
    Toyota

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mrbiggestr24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pietas View Post
    Are all the grommets/rubber seals still there, properly seated and whole? Look underneath your vehicle. Also the engine bay and behind the seats.

You have to be more specific on these areas so i can look , u got an illustration u can share?
    Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMac View Post
    I had a 2016 2.8GD 6 4x4 double cab that was plagued with dust ingression as well as other problems. Yes there was a mod that Toyota did to dust proof the vehicle.
    The vehicle was booked into the selling dealer after 2 months of waiting for the parts from Toyota and took a week to fit. Everything and I mean everything was removed from inside the vehicle, dash, seats, mats, and door panels. Needless to say the vehicle was then dust proofed. It took another 8 months of sending the vehicle back to Toyota to sort out small problems, like the steering rod from the steering wheel into the universal fitting was never tightened, some scary moments when the steering did not work properly and slipped on the splines, rattles etc. Eventually after other problems I sold the vehicle back to Toyota.

So good luck trying to get Toyota to sort it out

Neil , thats the sad part of this issues , you always find out too late that we could have done something that can be done through the warranty period, and yet Toyota is not prompt in dishing out these campaigns when it notices the issues coming at an alarming rate to them.

Can you care to share any campaigns you know for the 2016 models , as they were the first models of its kind and i believe i must have missed a lotta things.

One thing i have observed is that this dust comes through the doors.
    Toyota

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mrbiggestr24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mrbiggestr24 View Post
    My Toyota Hilux SRX 4x4 ( 04/2016 ) model seems to have dust entry problem , I have experienced a lot of dust entry thru the doors , Now how do i resolve this as it spoils my day when i wanna go full 4x4 in the dusty plains ?

And is there any campaign i might have missed to address this problem , The first GD6's were riddled with problems yet some of us missed the campaigns and ended up footing the bill for such.

please advise.
    Take it to LA Sport ..Their Dust Proofing is superb ..I did that with my 2015 Hilux

Doesnt having it pull air from outside , make it let in dust also?
    Only if your are caught in the dust from another vehicle in front of you or passing you or if you are driving in a dust storm.

On dust/gravel roads the A/C system should be set to fresh air intake and not recirculation.
    Fresh air intake creates a positive pressure inside the vehicle, which prevents dust ingress.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Searcher For This Useful Post:

Hi Mrbiggester24

The problems I experienced on the 2016 Revo were the dust ingression, steering rack was replaced at 27000km after I insisted that the Toyota factory rep intervened as the dealer claimed that there was nothing wrong with it. The auto transmission was "reprogramed" 4 times, still not acceptable. Rear suspension (shackles) squeaked which Toyota lubricated (ongoing problem that was never solved)and that would last 2000km or the next rains. After the 40000km service with the transmission still not functioning correctly and the suspension squeaked again I drove the vehicle into Toyota Automark and sold it to them then phoned for the wife to fetch me.

Please don't get me wrong I have owned and driven Toyota Hi Lux from 2003 with the first one being a 2,7 4x4 then a 4Lt 4x4 Vigo, a 4Lt Prado and another 3Lt 4x4 Vigo as well as a 2013 Legend 45 2,5 4x2 with the variable vein turbo (magnificent vehicle it was a company vehicle) Plus as 2 x 4x4 Fortuners, all great vehicles Average km was 150000 km per vehicle before being traded in. All trouble free and great trade in prices.

Now that I am semi retired I bought swambo new platcar and managed to get myself a very clean one owner 3000Lt Mitsubishi Colt 4x4 with full service history no electronics and I wont freak out should I bang it while being off road.

In hindsight I should never have purchased one of the first new shape Hi lux I still think they are great vehicles but I am not prepared to pay the prices Toyota are asking for the new Hi Lux

I wish you well with yours and trust you get sorted

Kind regards
    Neil Sauls

Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo 3Lt V6 4x4

That is true Neil. The gearbox is terrible. I hate it when it changes down even on a slight downhill. My Toyota dealer tells me they don't have the software.
    RechardT

Now- Toyo GD6 2.8- Creed

One day is One day- Dodge Ram 6.7l TD.

You can go anywhere you want in life as long as its in a 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
    Only if your are caught in the dust from another vehicle in front of you or passing you or if you are driving in a dust storm.

On dust/gravel roads the A/C system should be set to fresh air intake and not recirculation.
    Fresh air intake creates a positive pressure inside the vehicle, which prevents dust ingress.
    I have never had an issue with dust ingress and my aircon is always on recirculation.

My thinking (and it could be flawed, but I like the way it sounds ) is if the aircon is on recirculation, it saves fuel. Because you are circulating the already cold air, and the aircon does not need to work as hard to cool warmer air from the outside to say 21 degrees. If the air inside is already close to 21, it takes less time to cool it again, thus the aircon switches off more often.

Feel free to correct me.
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2.5dCI 4x4
    2013 Nissan Xtrail 2.0dCi XE 2x4

19. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

please advise.
    ive sold my 2016 wihthin 7 months, u cant even get on a pavement then there were dust in the cabin, so good luck getting it sorted

2017 VW Amarok 3.0 TDi V6 4Motion D/Cab
    2020 VW T Cross Highline R Line
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

21. The Following User Says Thank You to hein100 For This Useful Post:

Most door seals have a hollow cavity in them. Pull off one side at the join and thread in a “dusted” smaller solid core foam tube. This provides a much better seal and also helps with road noise.

If you don't mind removing your door card, you can use Contact glue to hold closed cell foam against the door handle orifices. You might need to prep the metal with alcohol first. I prefer closed cell foam as I don't like placing a moisture retaining sponge next to metal.

If you don't mind seeing foam, you can glue the foam on the inside at the edges to cover the door gap. This really stops the road noise. Make sure the doors still open properly.

For anything piercing the firewall, you can apply foam from the engine bay side, but here you need to ensure the foam is flame proof due to the engine bay heat, especially near any exhaust members (and turbo).
    Renault Duster 4WD Gen1: No Meow, GC = 254mm, WD = 820mm

please advise.

I had a similar dust problem in my 2000 Hilux and solved it by adding a second seal on the cab door frame. The rubber seal on the door closed onto a vinyl cover strip around the door frame. I purchased a similar strip but with a hollow rubber seal on it and replaced it effectively giving a double seal. I now just have to slam the door a bit harder to close but it solved the dust problem 99%.

I drove a 2017 2.0 VVTI - luckily only for 2 months and 5600 terrible km's...
    Good luck is all I can say!!!
    If only one can buy a vacuum cleaner as effective as a Hilux!!!
    2017 Ranger 2.2 XL D/Cab
    2020 BMW F850GS
    1968 Ford 20M 2500S coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Searcher View Post

Thats true. Our Prado 150TX socks in dust when in recirculation and dust seems to stop when in outside fresh air mode.

Quote Originally Posted by AboutAfrica View Post
    This is also the reason the series landies and most defenders had the forward vests just below the windscreen. In the case of these vehicles the suggestion was to drive with the rear windows cracked a touch and the front vents open to maintain positive cabin pressure.

I always travel with my interior fan set to at least fan position 2 with the windows up if a travel on dusty roads to maintain positive pressure.

UPDATE GUYS !!!!!!!

Took my car for 150 000 Kms service, had them give me a Quote for dust entry kit plus labour.... Apparently dust is getting in behind the back passenger seat.

here is the qoute

R3899.00 Dust Entry kits
    R2600.00 Labour

What do you reckon..
    Toyota

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast