Traveling the Wild Coast

Default Traveling the Wild Coast

Hi All

In our younger care-free days we did the odd trip along the Wild Coast (is it still called that?) of the E Cape. There is so little tourism promotion in the E Cape that I have often wondered if anything still exists along that wonderful part of the world.

So the question is the following. Is there anything to behold in Port St Johns, Coffee Bay, Mazeppa Bay, Wave Crest, Trenery's, Kob Inn, etc? What is the accommodation (not camping), prices and roads like? Most important, are there any safety issues?

I remember it being an exquisite part of the world, us having a real couldn't care less type of holiday. Assuming there is still life at these places, are provisions available? Or is is just a run down part of the world that we see so often?

I'd appreciate comments from those in the know. Thanks

Default Re: Traveling the Wild Coast

Quote Originally Posted by Killarneyracer View Post
    Hi All

In our younger care-free days we did the odd trip along the Wild Coast (is it still called that?) of the E Cape. There is so little tourism promotion in the E Cape that I have often wondered if anything still exists along that wonderful part of the world.

So the question is the following. Is there anything to behold in Port St Johns, Coffee Bay, Mazeppa Bay, Wave Crest, Trenery's, Kob Inn, etc? What is the accommodation (not camping), prices and roads like? Most important, are there any safety issues?

I remember it being an exquisite part of the world, us having a real couldn't care less type of holiday. Assuming there is still life at these places, are provisions available? Or is is just a run down part of the world that we see so often?

I'd appreciate comments from those in the know. Thanks
    Road to Trennery’s have been tarred. I think they are fully booked for the festive season.
    Sent from my iPhone

Avoid Port St John's, it has become a third world dump.

During November, I stayed at Mbotyi, Coffee Bay, Kobb Inn and Trenerys. All lovely. The last 20km or so of gravel to Kobb Inn was not great, but it would probably my choice to stay at.

2015 Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit M/T

IMHO the best hotel on the Wild Coast is Uhmgazi River Bungalows.

Other good choices are
    Kobb Inn
    Mazeppa Bay
    Trenneries
    Ocean View (Coffee Bay)
    Wavecrest

(I only list places I have stayed at)
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)
    2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB

"Road to Trennery’s "...….

If you go via the pont - yes its tar. if you go via centani - there is 10 kms of very rough gravel. (Via the pont is 84kms shorter to my farm, I don't go that way due to always having a full open trailer.) it's a short bad section.

As above - Most hotels are good, kobb is my favourite.
    Last edited by K-9; 2020/12/15 at 11:48 AM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Mkulu Kei at Wild Wind Ranch
    * 1975/8 SHREK LAND-CRUISER FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 LAND-CRUISER J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 LAND-CRUISER LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain.

* 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 ISUZU bakkie 4x4
    * MERCEDES UNIMOG U416.
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser. And a Honda 200
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. And a John Deere E140 2020 tractor

This is what we've booked for March:

Day 1 Nottingham Road
    Day 2 Bushman's Nek Resort (If open, drive up Sani Pass)
    Day 3 Ntafufu Eco Lodge
    Day 4 Ntafufu Eco Lodge (explore Waterfall Bluff, Magwa Falls, Magwa Tea Plantation, Cathedral Rock etc)
    Day 5 Umngazi River Bungalows
    Day 6 Umngazi River Bungalows
    Day 7 White Clay Resort (Coffee Bay)
    Day 8 White Clay Resort - visit Hole in the Wall etc.
    Day 9 - Coffee Bay to La Riviera (outside Aliwal North)
    Day 10 - Back home.

See link to thread:
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/335558-Wild-Coast-Transkei-trip-2021-input-required-please

Also looking for more input & feedback
    Stephan G

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post
    Day 4 Ntafufu Eco Lodge (explore Waterfall Bluff, Magwa Falls, Magwa Tea Plantation, Cathedral Rock etc)
    Waterfall Bluff and Cathedral Rock alone will take up a whole day. It is about a 8km hike there and then the 8km back again. I suppose you can rush it, but I would not suggest it. And it WILL be a day well spent....take my word for it. We have done it a number of times and if I could, I will do it tomorrow again.

What is the safety and security like along this part of the world - ie getting to and staying at the various resorts? I read somewhere the "car guards" can be a pain in the butt and a bit intimidating.

And if one stays in self catering establishments are provisions easy to obtain en route?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ian.McM View Post
    Avoid Port St John's, it has become a third world dump.

During November, I stayed at Mbotyi, Coffee Bay, Kobb Inn and Trenerys. All lovely. The last 20km or so of gravel to Kobb Inn was not great, but it would probably my choice to stay at.
    I can second this.
    Apart from that the Wild Coast is still beautiful - just not quite as wild anymore.
    Safety anywhere in RSA is always a concernjust take care and not chances.

If going on walks / hikes, hire one of the locals to look after your vehicle.
    When appropriate, use a local guide.

All shoulkd be good.
    Enjoy !
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2