Default MediaRelease: Land Rover Defender is Top Gearís Car of the Year

Pretoria, 2 December 2020 Ė The new Land Rover Defender has been bestowed with two further globally-recognised awards being named overall Car of the Year while also securing the Unstoppable Force award in this yearís coveted TopGear.com Awards.

Judges of the prestigious prize praised the new Defender for being one of the toughest vehicles on the road today, and a brilliant successor to the original iconic Land Rover, as a car for the 21st century that performs brilliantly everywhere.

Jack Rix, Editor, Top Gear Magazine said: ďCar of the Year is an accolade won by only the very best of the best. We recognise that replacing an icon is an unenviable task, and one Land Rover rightly took its time to get right.

ďWe've now driven one across the Namibian desert - and in properly harsh environments, like the M25 - in both 110 and 90 forms, with every engine under the bonnet and it just performs brilliantly everywhere. There's an argument that because it costs a bit more it won't be used properly by the farming and rural community, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be... It's the toughest, most capable off-roader we've ever tested, but one that's a refined, well-equipped family car around town.

ďCongratulations to everyone at Land Rover.Ē

Nick Rogers, Executive Director, Product Engineering, Jaguar Land Rover said: "It's an absolute honour for us to receive Top Gear's Car of the Year award for our New Defender. Right from the start of creating this vehicle with the blank sheet of paper, we were obsessed about respecting its heritage and keeping its true authenticity, as well as ensuring it is completely fitting for todayís ever-evolving world. We have worked tirelessly to deliver a vehicle that has incredible off-road capability, as well as on-road poise and driveability. Additionally, we have ensured that the New Defender is completely connected, with our new Electrical Vehicle Architecture (EVA2), Pivi Pro infotainment system and Software Over the Air (SOTA) updates to continually enhance the Defender operating system.

ďWe are especially proud of this recognition from Top Gear, which is a testament to the dedication of our JLR Family who have created a vehicle that we believe is truly worthy of the Defender name."

Hang Tough

To celebrate the achievement, Land Rover teamed up with Top Gear magazine to prove the new Defender worthy of the 'Unstoppable Force' title. The ultimate strength test was designed to prove-out the structural toughness of the Defenderís D7x aluminium platform by suspending three un-modified 110s from a crane solely through their towing eyes.

The test which took place at the Gaydon proving ground in Warwickshire subjected the first Defender 110 to over eight tonnes through the structure with each Defender featuring the optional Adventure Pack and additional optional equipment.

Top Gear's Tom Ford said: "We wanted to prove that Land Rover's new Defender really does live up to the hype and had to test it in typical Top Gear fashion. What better way to let me loose with a 150 tonne crane, three Defenders and a rope?"

With over 30 global accolades to date for the new Defender, the Top Gear prizes are among a string of prestigious awards that the Land Rover Defender has taken home in 2020. Notable awards include Motortrendís 2021 SUV of the year, Autocarís Best SUV 2020 and Parker's Best Off-roader.

The New Defender has been through more than 62,000 tests for engineering sign-off, while the chassis and body architecture have been engineered to withstand Land Roverís Extreme Event Test procedure Ė repeated and sustained impacts, above and beyond the normal standard for SUV and passenger cars. With the latest New Defender, the Land Rover Defender family now encompasses the Defender 90 and Defender 110 both with the option of petrol and diesel engines along with advanced plug-in hybrid and mild-hybrid powertrains.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JF1_1460-Edit-Edit-2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	598503   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TopGear - Defender vs Crane-003-Edit-RT1-3.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	598504  

Default Re: MediaRelease: Land Rover Defender is Top Gearís Car of the Year

Erm.....

Ahem....

Really

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Erm.....

Ahem....

Really
    Money talks

Top Gear has been favouring British brands since their inception. Doesn't come as a surprise to me.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Default MediaRelease: Land Rover Defender is Top Gearís Car of the Year

Ja nee, wat weet die ingelse nou in elk geval . Hiers n paar manne op die forum wat hulle darem sal wys waar David die wortels begrawe het . Ek meen ons is nie verniet die toonaangewende nasie as dit kom by motors bou nie , of hoe . Ek meen wie sal nou ons eie Nomad en Trax vergeet
    Last edited by cor; 2020/12/10 at 09:38 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cor For This Useful Post:

Hey - itís a good thing they have strong tow points . It is after all a LR!

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    Hey - itís a good thing they have strong tow points . It is after all a LR!
    Order, Order!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    Top Gear has been favouring British brands since their inception. Doesn't come as a surprise to me.
    Really....
    30 years experience and knowledge certainly out weighs a 5min keyboard bashing on google
    Love's electrickery stuff and problems related to it as long as it dont go bang cos then its f......
    NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT
    A V8 is where thunder is made
    100%WEE

Pfftt...what these okes know, they should have just read this forum to learn that the ND is actually crap
    George Moustakis
    Disco 4 XS

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wildhunter For This Useful Post:

cor

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    Order, Order!
    Its powered by Ford
    30 years experience and knowledge certainly out weighs a 5min keyboard bashing on google
    Love's electrickery stuff and problems related to it as long as it dont go bang cos then its f......
    NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT
    A V8 is where thunder is made
    100%WEE

I know the LR guys will probably take this very personally (and they shouldn't), check my signature and my posts, I love LR and I have owned one and still lust after a D4, I just don't see how the new Defender can be "car of the year". Yes it has loads of tech and it seems to be capable off road, but it doesn't really hold true to its roots, it doesn't seem to be all that reliable and it cost an absolute fortune (yes all new vehicles are expensive). I would be keen to know more about the judgment criteria, doesn't seem to be anything applicable to normal ownership.

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

I shan't comment as I no longer have a horse in this race and if I did, I would fear that it wouldnt get out of the gate or complete the course

Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    I know the LR guys will probably take this very personally (and they shouldn't), check my signature and my posts, I love LR and I have owned one and still lust after a D4, I just don't see how the new Defender can be "car of the year". Yes it has loads of tech and it seems to be capable off road, but it doesn't really hold true to its roots, it doesn't seem to be all that reliable and it cost an absolute fortune (yes all new vehicles are expensive). I would be keen to know more about the judgment criteria, doesn't seem to be anything applicable to normal ownership.
    Bla bla bla, the current day Krugers also no longer live like Oom Paul

18. The Following User Says Thank You to faniedup For This Useful Post:

Out of interest, what would be a better choice, if not the New Defender?

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dph For This Useful Post:

It's the toughest, most capable off-roader we've ever tested
    ^^^^

This statement by the editor of that magazine, has just made me never to consider anything that his magazine prints, as informed ever again.

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    Bla bla bla, the current day Krugers also no longer live like Oom Paul
    Well there are scores of vehicles with a bunch of tech, what makes a Defender a Defender is the ruggedness, the ability to fix it in the remote bush with simple tools and its enduring ability to take punishment. One may also argue solid axles are a hallmark of a Defender, this new "Defender" doesn't have any of the hallmarks, so why call uit a Defender? Numerous publications have called it a LR Discovery in a different jacket, so if you wan't n Disco just buy a Disco...

Quote Originally Posted by dph View Post
    Out of interest, what would be a better choice, if not the New Defender?
    I didn't know which cars were in contention, so I had a look at their website, there are some interesting and appealing cars on that list and as far as I can tel the Defender actually won "Unstoppable force of the year", so maybe that is specific to 4x4's and not cars in general. I can't see the full list of contenders on the website so can't really comment. The Yaris GR seems like it could be a lot of fun.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/202...rcom-awards#19

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold