Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: 2010 Defender 110 2.4 - intermittent starting issues

Sounds like you have solved half of the problem.
    Either the heat at the engine is affecting the wiring/starter or it's the ignition barrel.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind≤)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jfh For This Useful Post:

Exclamation Re: 2010 Defender 110 2.4 - intermittent starting issues

Oh my eff! Bad idea to do this on a hot day!!! Realized itís a semi dash off scenario to try get access to drill out the shear bolts... and as luck would have it, power is out and the cordless is flat!!

Much preferred the TD5 or 300tdi dash, sooooo much easier to take only certain parts off!
    2010 Land Rover Defender 110
    2018 Mazda CX-5 (SWAMBO)
    2015 VW Caddy Cross (Sold)
    1998 Land Rover Defender 2.8i (2.5i replacement due to overheat ) (Sold - twins on the way, needed 4 doors...)
    2009 Suzuki Jimny, Raised, Snorkel, BFG AT's, Little Engine that could (Sold)

Default Re: 2010 Defender 110 2.4 - intermittent starting issues

Quote Originally Posted by scottdurban View Post
    Oh my eff! Bad idea to do this on a hot day!!! Realized itís a semi dash off scenario to try get access to drill out the shear bolts... and as luck would have it, power is out and the cordless is flat!!

Much preferred the TD5 or 300tdi dash, sooooo much easier to take only certain parts off!
    Hi Scott
    You dont need to remove the dash. PM your number and ill send you photos how.
    Cheers
    Claude

Defender Puma Raw Limited Edition
    Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad

Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ClaudeG For This Useful Post:

Lightbulb Re: 2010 Defender 110 2.4 - intermittent starting issues

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudeG View Post
    Hi Scott
    You dont need to remove the dash. PM your number and ill send you photos how.
    Cheers
    Claude
    Hi Claude, thanks for the info!

just in case anyone is looking, i was able to remove cluster and reconnect, with being able to start her up! No immobilizing issues!

NB! I disconnected the battery first using the following sequence. Press button, turn on, turn off, then disconnect battery within 17s. Helps to loosen the negative side prior to doing this

After the above sequence, I then removed the cluster. And only reconnected battery once cluster was back
    2018 Mazda CX-5 (SWAMBO)
    1998 Land Rover Defender 2.8i (2.5i replacement due to overheat ) (Sold - twins on the way, needed 4 doors...)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to scottdurban For This Useful Post:

Arrow Re: 2010 Defender 110 2.4 - intermittent starting issues

Update:
    Bad weather, an under-powered drill, bad bit, and seriously stubborn shear bolts have hampered the development of the repair/replacement.

I put her all back together as I had to commute, but can confirm she was more than fine with wet weather etc. So it seems there is a direct correlation between hot engine/hard running and the intermittent fault.

Must note that whilst I had limited access tot he 10as, I pushed on each of the clips and they seemed to click in.. This could perhaps have been something. Expansion causing the it to drift farther than normal. But still confused as to why that would not interrupt a push start.

Being said, before I undertook the repair, and had a problem at the shops, only a push start would get her going. Previously, a failed push start, to stop then try turn over worked. So I am almost dead set on it being an ignition switch issue.
    2018 Mazda CX-5 (SWAMBO)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to scottdurban For This Useful Post:

Arrow Re: 2010 Defender 110 2.4 - intermittent starting issues

Hi guys,

Quite a bit of driving between then and now. No issues as yet, and only the extra push in on the Lucas performed...

I had a 0.5s hesitation before it started to turn yesterday, but that's been about it...

Still wanting to change out the ignition switch and dump the immobiliser though. Will keep you all posted. Next time will be once its done.
    2018 Mazda CX-5 (SWAMBO)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3