To Mahindra 4x4 or sit on my hands. - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: To Mahindra 4x4 or sit on my hands.

Backlash expected, but the thread is about Mahindra. So the challenge to test still stands
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 854 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 121 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 125 000 km

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    Backlash expected, but the thread is about Mahindra. So the challenge to test still stands
    LOL,

So let me humour you. I phoned Mahindra West Rand for a quote and lead time on a starter motor and alternator for the Pik Up. I had to give them my VIN and engine number to ensure the right parts would be quoted on.

Both parts are in stock at their main distribution warehouse and lead time is two days from order to delivery.

Ball is in your court. Do the same with Nissan for either of your Patrols and let us know.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    LOL,

So let me humour you. I phoned Mahindra West Rand for a quote and lead time on a starter motor and alternator for the Pik Up. I had to give them my VIN and engine number to ensure the right parts would be quoted on.

Both parts are in stock at their main distribution warehouse and lead time is two days from order to delivery.

Ball is in your court. Do the same with Nissan for either of your Patrols and let us know.
    But that would be an exercise in futility, as stated the Patrol needs "zero repairs".
    ASPW on the Jeep Grand Cherokee: "This vehicle is phenomenal... I have never seen a traction control system working quite like this..."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    I just always want to know how GWM or Mahindra can sell a comparable vehicle for much less than the competition?

Do they pay less import tax?
    Do they use cheaper parts?
    Do they spend less $$ on R&D and QC?
    Do they use child labor?

It's like comparing any two items. Both say they do the same thing, but is the quality of the end result the same?

Luckily it's not my 400K to spend.
    I owned a Mahindra Scorpio 2.5GLX 4x4 wagon.
    After getting rid of it early in lockdown, I promised myself I would not bash the brand, because everyone has a different experience.
    Also, I have not owned or even driven the new Scorpio.
    So, this is not a Mahindra bashing post, just some personal experience.

I will never ever go near a Mahindra again, for a number of reasons:

1. The 2,5 engine never let me down, but a lot of other things started braking early on and the rest of the vehicle started falling apart after about 120 000km. The vehicle never worked really hard, only towed small luggage trailers, only seen off road occasionally, and nothing serious. I will not put all the detail here, I have documented most of the issues before.
    2. Some issues just cannot be fixed, like the oil leak which started about a week into my ownership (at 9 000km). By the time I sold the vehicle at about 160 000km it was still there. A number of Mahindra dealers and other workshops tried to fix it, but it would just come back after a week or 2. Proper wheel alignment is also a struggle to get right.
    3. Availability of parts. Yes, it is a problem. Try getting a simple part like a radiator cap or radiator hose from Mahindra. This is difficult. And no, nothing at Midas fits the Mahindra.
    4. Quality of parts. This was evident in the oil leak saga. The one workshop manager who was trying to fix the oil leak showed me 2 gaskets he ordered from Mahindra. Same part number, ordered at the same time from Mahindra. They were about 95% the same, but that other 5% is why he guaranteed me that the oil leak would come back. And he was right.
    5. As I said in point 1, the car does not age well. Maybe the new model is better, I don't know.
    6. While the engine might be good, if you look closely you can see the poor quality of some other parts. And if the new model uses the same wheel bearings than the old one, I would stay far away. They are unsafe and poorly made and there is no viable replacement part out there that I could find.
    7. Try selling it.

Anyway, I really hope the new model is better and that the support from Mahindra has improved. I would not wish my experience on anyone. I know other people have had better experiences, maybe I just had a dud.

If the OP decides to buy a Mahindra, I wish him many happy kilometers!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LegoDawie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    But that would be an exercise in futility, as stated the Patrol needs "zero repairs".
    and Jeeps need repairs every time they start?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    They need repairs to start. Grappie...
    Last edited by Jens78; 2020/12/10 at 02:35 PM.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    They need repairs to start. Grappie...
    indeed

according to all the forum sages
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

indeed

according to all the forum sages
    Hanlon's Razor Jelo, Hanlon's Razor...
    ASPW on the Jeep Grand Cherokee: "This vehicle is phenomenal... I have never seen a traction control system working quite like this..."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    LOL,

I did. Both available. Alternator R4000 Starter a whopping R12000 !!
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

Well, I drive an old Ford.... 'nuf said

But, in fairness it has NEVER left me stranded on the side of the road, and its my daily
    Last edited by WAJ; 2020/12/10 at 03:44 PM.
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4 (workshop whore)

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    But, in fairness it has NEVER left me stranded on the side of the road, and its my daily
    It did however take a month to make it driveable?
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Ford Jeep Patrol.

Has the question about Mahindra been answered?
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Andrť Opperman

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    Ford Jeep Patrol.

Has the question about Mahindra been answered?
    After all to me post #44 did comprehensively...
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2020/12/10 at 06:11 PM.

After all to me post #44 did comprehensively...
    Just like one swallow doesn't make a summer, one poor experience doesn't define a brand and he is talking about a long discontinued model. If I look hard enough I will find a similar story connected to your beloved Nissan brand.

In all honesty, what is your problem? Do you have first hand knowledge of the new S11 Pik Up? Have you even driven one? You do realise that brands improve their quality and backup service over time, don't you?

I made the statement the other day about Dacia, Kia and Hyundai having been horrible little shitboxes when they entered our market and over time matured into well engineered, reliable vehicles. The same is happening with Mahindra.

I happen to have driven a Bolero, the cheapest real 4x4 on the market before I bought my current Pik Up. When compared the Bolero is positively agricultural. Noisy, cramped, with a really hard suspension and very little in terms of refinement whereas the S series Pik Up provides much more space, a gem of an engine, a newly designed transmission, vastly improved sound deadening and a pleasantly comfortable interior with everything you need in terms of specification.

It is very hard to believe Mahindra could offer such a well rounded package at the price I paid. I also have first hand knowledge of a previous model Pik Up with over 400K KM on the odo, most of those KM's done on corrugated gravel and potholed roads, still going strong. Neither of the two I have personally owned so much as rattle/d nevermind needing anything other than standard servicing. The achilles heel of the older pik ups was the gearbox, that has been sorted with the much beefier new 6 speed unit (The auto is a ZF unit) that drives the four wheels through a Borg Warner transfer case to a Dana 35 at the front and an Eaton axle at the rear. The Mhawk engine has been proven over and over too and in current 103KW tune for the Pik Up is still under stressed as there is actually a variant doing service tuned to almost 140KW.

Take a look around, more and more S4 and S6 single cabs are being bought for business purposes and the people who drive them love them. Likewise the double cab variants are becoming a common sight and why not, the standard specifications and equipment you get for R420k makes it a very good deal.

To the OP, I would recommend the S11 Pik Up, it not only represents very good value for money but from personal experience I can attest to the S series reliability and toughness.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

We bought 6 2.5 Bolero's a few years back to use on a game reserve. Complimented by hilux, cruisers and 1 V8 Defender.

4 of those Mahindra are scrapped and the last 2 not far off. Tons of #### broke that shouldn't break. The plastic interior fell to pieces and odly enough the door arm rests turned yellow from wear and tear...almost like the plastic is yellow underneath and painted black on top 1 vehicle lived at Mahindra in PE and I think we only had it for 3 months of the first year because of this. I remember the last thing to break when i drove one. I was driving on the N2 and the rear torsion bar bracket tore off the chassis on a tar road. The torsion bar didn't snap it ripped the bracket clean off the chassis. Was the last time I got in one.

The motor seemed to be the most reliable part of the vehicle.

Keeping in mind this is fairly hard use by various drivers but the other brands are running in the same conditions with mininal ssues. Those that get worked hard and look a bit ragged still get some decent money in when sold.

Will I buy or recommend a Mahindra to anyone. Not in this lifetime.
    Last edited by Ivoryhunter; 2020/12/11 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Ivoryhunter View Post
    We bought 6 2.5 Bolero's a few years back to use on a game reserve. Complimented by hilux, cruisers and 1 V8 Defender.

4 of those Mahindra are scrapped and the last 2 not far off. Tons of #### broke that shouldn't break. The plastic interior fell to pieces and odly enough the door arm rests turned yellow from wear and tear...almost like the plastic is yellow underneath and painted black on top 1 vehicle lived at Mahindra in PE and I think we only had it for 3 months of the first year because of this. I remember the last thing to break when i drove one. I was driving on the N2 and the rear torsion bar bracket tore off the chassis on a tar road. The torsion bar didn't snap it ripped the bracket clean off the chassis. Was the last time I got in one.

The motor seemed to be the most reliable part of the vehicle.

Keeping in mind this is fairly hard use by various drivers but the other brands are running in the same conditions with mininal ssues. Those that get worked hard and look a bit ragged still get some decent money in when sold.

Will I buy or recommend a Mahindra to anyone. Not in this lifetime.
    Post #44, the same model. As koebelwagen said you're not comparing apples with apples. The discussion here is about the current models.
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

Thanks again for all your input, sharing your experiences and opinions are a huge help. The diagnosis seem clear, the Mahindra suffers from schizophrenia. If I hadn't as a young working adult experienced the incessant oil leaks of the Morris Minor and the Austin I might have thought the condition was terminal. But great British cars like the Jaguar and Land Rover benefited from the multiple leaks on the garage floor. Mahindra has in more recent years acquired Pininfarina, a well known Italian car manufacturer and manufactured Jeep under licence in India for Jeep USA. The Jeep Wrangler is a sore point for Jeep USA as the Mahindra Thar is stealing some of its thunder. What does this all mean? Mahindra has spent Billions on acquiring the intellectual property of established car manufacturers, we must expect to see the benefit of it in the show rooms and on our streets. Have I given up on Mahindra as some of you have reason to? No! I'm waiting for the ugly duckling to emerge as a swan!! The eternal optimist?? Maybe! With reason, the S11 has won some deserved attention already.
    What about the legends? The 2-4 year old Ranger, Patrol, Prado or the Pajero! Adverts like this
    https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for-sale/nissan/patrol/3-l/25778347 are a huge attraction as is Walkabout's offer. I already know and like the Ranger. The only, and I really think, the only issue is the warranty and service plan that a new vehicle gives. I know a warranty is not worth the paper it's written on if it is no backed up by good service, fortunately we have a good Mahindra agent in George to complicate my choice. I think the bottom line is this: I am going to line up a couple of deals starting with the Patrol in the add, but also pursue the S11 and maybe even a Ranger or two and see what the economics is. I'm not going to let my heart or my emotions be the decider in this deal. I have owned too many cars in the past that I have loved to own but also some I have loved to hate, to loose my heart before common sense prevails.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Davian74 For This Useful Post:

I really found this thread to be spoiled by this unnecessarily forceful punting of your own brand!!!
    Why is it so important for you as a person to have your choice of vehicle vindicated in such a manner?

Surely it would be adequate to make your suggestion, supply a reason and then be satisfied with that.
    But nooo, you have to actually attack everyone else with a different suggestion.

You, are happy, and passionate about your choice of driving an older vehicle that guzzles fuel at a rate that is on par with the ship that brought the oil here, then good for you!! Enjoy it! And be smug! Especially if you feel that this vehicle somehow makes you a superior being...

Sheesh man.. Chill!

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

No one has mentioned the 5 and 4 years service plans/warranty. If there are any issues from factory that should take care of it. Mahindra has been good to me when it comes to that, and all of the damage was due to negligence and abuse on my part.

I love my S10 Karoo Pik Up. It's utilitarian, but not enough to make it a bad road trip vehicle. I am planning to run mine into the ground, and I am already thinking of buying a second mahindra for my step son.

My brother in law has a 2yo Everest, Ford replaced the entire transmission already. All brands have horror stories. With Toyota you pay more to have less stories told, but there are horror stories too

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Schambies For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Schambies View Post
    No one has mentioned the 5 and 4 years service plans/warranty. If there are any issues from factory that should take care of it. Mahindra has been good to me when it comes to that, and all of the damage was due to negligence and abuse on my part.

I love my S10 Karoo Pik Up. It's utilitarian, but not enough to make it a bad road trip vehicle. I am planning to run mine into the ground, and I am already thinking of buying a second mahindra for my step son.

My brother in law has a 2yo Everest, Ford replaced the entire transmission already. All brands have horror stories. With Toyota you pay more to have less stories told, but there are horror stories too
    Agree
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast