To Mahindra 4x4 or sit on my hands.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default To Mahindra 4x4 or sit on my hands.

My "thing" is bird/nature photography. We just love to get into those more remote places where we can spend some hours at a waterhole or other quiet places. I have a 4x2 Ranger, which is my seventh Ford product to date. I have been very happy with Ford and my three Rangers and one Everest have especially treated me well. So they should because they are not often off tarred roads. However we do love the Northern Cape, Kgalagadi, Richtersveld etc., where the roads can be atrocious. Recently we went to Karoo National Park and discovered that the 4x4 routes in the park comprise about 60% of the park. Yes, I did wander into one of the 4x4 routes and did complete it quite comfortably but one day I might not be so lucky. I'm not sure if I just have a "bee under my bonnet" that I should kill with Doom or whether I should let my dreams have wings. I'm now 67 and want to spend the next few years that I am mobile pursuing my dreams where possible. My question is: should I give a Mahindra S11 auto 4x4 a second look or should I rather go for a 3-4 year old ford Ranger auto 4x4? They are about the same price and I get 5 years service plan and 4 years warranty with the new Mahindra. The only question in the back of my mind is the issue of reliability!! Please help me kill the bee or give my dreams wings.

Default Re: To Mahindra 4x4 or sit on my hands.

You can go Mahindra with a rested heart.

Go read the test drives from the different magazines maybe that'll help.

Farmers prefers Mahindra nowadays because of the value for money too.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LouisXander For This Useful Post:

Nothing wrong with Mahindra

My dad who used to drive Isuzu since I can remember has switched over to a Scorpio S4 for farm work and he says he is as happy as can be.
    Willie Knoetze

2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

The Mahindras are used extensively in game parks in Sri Lanka, and the guys abuse those vehicles seemingly with very few issues.
    Last edited by Orxy; 2020/12/09 at 11:59 AM.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orxy For This Useful Post:

I'd rather get a new S11 than a 3/4 year old Ranger. Those M-Hawk engines have proven themselves over the years to be reliable and super economical. For your purposes, the Mahindra auto seems like a solid choice. Go test drive one to see if you'll actually like it.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

The 2.2 mHawk engine is quite lively and economical as well. I got 15km/l when driving conservatively on open road.
    Be prepared to drive it into the ground as the trade-in value is not good. The plasticky interior of my vehicle looked shoddy after 5 years & 100k km (XUV 500 W6).
    2019 Fortuner 2.4 Auto 4x4
    2006 Jeep 3.7 Limited with 1.5" lift

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jors55 For This Useful Post:

Wait for the new Mahindra Thar... its already out overseas and should be launching in SA early next year... it looks just like a Jeep Wrangler and in very impressive... you will probably get a good deal on a current 2019 / 2020 model.

For less than a new Mahindra you can get a 2014 or later Patrol 3.0D CRD. Just so much more of a vehicle that will last another 20years..with minimal maintenance cost and zero repairs. Just saying....

Hens teeth to find one I know.

And no mine will never be up for sale..

Don't fall for the fuel consumption ignorent comments out there - mine is average 8.2km/l
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2020/12/09 at 08:01 PM.
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 854 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 121 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 125 000 km

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

Thank you for all the constructive comments, maybe I can give some of those nurtured 4x4 dreams wings. I have always felt so guilty venturing down a 4x4 trail in my 4x2 consoling myself that a diff lock is enough. I would hate to be the source of discomfort for someone else to come and extract me if necessary. The Mahindra seems like a very capable pickup that is doing very well in SA. The owners I've spoken to seem happy. I hadn't given the Patrol a second thought because they are as was said, "like hen's teeth". The thought of owning one is most appealing, as would a good condition Land Cruiser/Prado. It's just the cost of owning an older vehicle that makes me a bit nervous. I came across this add; 2016 Nissan Patrol 3.0TD GL with 85000k's on the clock with a full service record and two previous owners in Strand. Who can argue with Dungbeetle with over 800 000K's, it just deserves respect. Maybe the Patrol is worth a more serious look but the Mahindra is still in the game. Thank you so much to all who have helped give my dreams some structure, that's why I love this forum.

To the OP, I don't know if it helps you, but I have a mate in PE who is selling his 2016/2017 3.2l Ford Ranger Wildtrack DC 4x4, 42000km, metallic charcoal colour, for around R450 000 negotiable (I still need to do a thread about it to see if fair price). Wife's car, never seen off-road, he has too many vehicles and they are downscaling.

I know which one I would choose.
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

If fuel usage don't play, go Patrol.

If you're wary of usage, go Mahindra.

But a new car is always so much nicer.....

Quote Originally Posted by Davian74 View Post
    Thank you for all the constructive comments, maybe I can give some of those nurtured 4x4 dreams wings. I have always felt so guilty venturing down a 4x4 trail in my 4x2 consoling myself that a diff lock is enough. I would hate to be the source of discomfort for someone else to come and extract me if necessary. The Mahindra seems like a very capable pickup that is doing very well in SA. The owners I've spoken to seem happy. I hadn't given the Patrol a second thought because they are as was said, "like hen's teeth". The thought of owning one is most appealing, as would a good condition Land Cruiser/Prado. It's just the cost of owning an older vehicle that makes me a bit nervous. I came across this add; 2016 Nissan Patrol 3.0TD GL with 85000k's on the clock with a full service record and two previous owners in Strand. Who can argue with Dungbeetle with over 800 000K's, it just deserves respect. Maybe the Patrol is worth a more serious look but the Mahindra is still in the game. Thank you so much to all who have helped give my dreams some structure, that's why I love this forum.
    If you drive both, particularly on a bad 2-spoor road, I reckon I know which one you will take home, and I don't think it's the Mahindra.

As for older vehicles costing more to run than new ones, that is bollocks in 90% of cases. Yes, they do require more parts replacement (but on a 4-year old Patrol that's not the case yet by a good few years), but the monthly installments and what you lose in depreciation more than make up for that.

I drive a 24-year-old Patrol, and the total cost per month is less than a third of the installment on the cheapest new 4x4 on the market. And then you still need to add fuel, tires, insurance etc.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Another factor is the space. I can just imagine how cluttered a Mahindra will be in cab with cameras lenses binoculars etc. etc
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2020/12/10 at 06:14 AM.
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 854 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 121 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 125 000 km

Have you ever been inside a Mahindra S series? It's as spacious as you'll ever get, no current Jap/German DC gets near to it, even the Amarok which always was wider.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to LouisXander For This Useful Post:

I owned a Mahindra Single cab 2.5 4x4 , the ugliest bakkie I have owned , in 300 000km it did not drop me once, It traveled through zim, moz, nam, all over SA, gravel roads, no roads and tar. I bought it reluctantly , but at the time it was the cheapest 4x4 I could buy cash , it also had more space in it than any of the single cabs out there..... at the same time I owned a 3L patrol , fantastic vehicle ...... but expensive to maintain and believe me when the K,s mount up stuff starts to give up.....my work at the time was guiding ..... eventually sold both and bought a Foton 4x4, also very happy with it..... a huge amount of vehicle for verry little and you save a fortune.

Would I buy a Mahindra again, for sure.....! It compares favourably with the best out there . Its still freeking ugly...
    Last edited by Hawkeye; 2020/12/10 at 06:29 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    at the same time I owned a 3L patrol , fantastic vehicle ...... but expensive to maintain and believe me when the K,s mount up stuff starts to give up.....
    This must be fake news, the Patrol is quoted above as a vehicle with "zero repairs".

They NEVER break. EVER.
    ASPW on the Jeep Grand Cherokee: "This vehicle is phenomenal... I have never seen a traction control system working quite like this..."

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Not really comparing apples with apples here...

New VS Second hand

Factory warranty and service plan VS None

Pickup VS SUV

Fuel consumption of 10KM/L+ VS 5KM/L to a claimed 8.2KM/L.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

A Patrol will be still going long after the Mahindra has fallen apart. And you will be able to get Patrol spares on the interwebs long after Mahindra has left the country.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Davian74 View Post
    Why would you go for the Pik Up if you can get the Scorpio S11 4x4 wagon for less?
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

18 posts and no suggestion of a Pajama
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.
    Sp Tourer

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast