Default Road Conditions and Tyre Pressures from Alexander Bay to De Hoop Campsite

Later this month we will be heading to De Hoop Campsite in the Richtersveld, via Alexander Bay, Sendelingsdrif and Akkedis Pass, with my Duster 4x4 Diesel and Oryx campervan.

What is the current state of the roads along that route, and what tyre pressures should I use at the different stages along the route?

Default Re: Road Conditions and Tyre Pressures from Alexander Bay to De Hoop Campsite

I can only speak to the road as far as Sendelingsdrift. Quite corrugated as of a month ago. We were in a Gen 4 paj, aired down to 1.5 after our teeth came mostly out. That helped.

Default Re: Road Conditions and Tyre Pressures from Alexander Bay to De Hoop Campsite

We were there in Oct (Tatasberg reed chalets), and we traveled along your suggested route.
    The dirt road to Sendelingsdrif is used by heavy vehicles, but is graded regularly. You can bet decent money that some portions will be badly corrugated. Inside the park you will get a little bit of everything.
    I would suggest you drop your pressure as much as is reasonable. I went down to 1.5, but I have high profile tyres and wasn't towing anything. In your case, maybe take the pressure down incrementally making sure you have enough rubber between rim and road.
    Is you car auto or manual? Akkadis is quite steep in places and I would recommend making sure you are using 1st gear. We had 48C in Oct, I hate to think what you guys will experience, so keep an eye out for temp warnings on your display.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2020/12/07 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Is you car auto or manual? Akkadis is quite steep in places and I would recommend making sure you are using 1st gear.
    My car is manual and the 1st gear is very short and is a nice crawling gear - very similar to low range on the more serious 4x4 vehicles.

I drove a similar route three weeks ago.

From Alexander bay to Sanddrif is fairly good. From Sanddrif to just before Conellskop was fine, but covered with drift sand. Very think in places. So just be wakey.

Road conditions from there to Sendeingsdrift were fine. Possibly corrugated, but they did not bother me much.

Akkedis pass is steep, and pretty rocky. There are several pretty steep and rocky sections between Akkedis pass and De Hoop - especially where one goes through the "semi-dry" river bed next to the "Rooiberg". Watch out for your vehicle and trailer combo sidewalls.

As has already pointed out on this thread, deflating exponentially would be the best option as it would allow you to easily figure out the best combination for your vehicle / trailer combination.

My truck rolls on 285/75R16's. I'm not sure what tyres or profile tyres you have. We were also not towing anything. But, for what it is worth, I deflated to 1.6 bar for this section of my trip. I say "this section" of my trip as I was deflated much further under other conditions.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

the moment you leave alexanderbaai ,the gravel road starts ,turn off and let those tyres down to 1.5 and take it easy to sendelingsdrif ,you can recheck there ,,remember the tyres is hot ,so at sendelingdrif you have to check in and then the tyres will cool down ,recheck again ,

there is one section in the akkedis pass that nearly caught me out on a climb and i was in the wrong gear ,lesson learned,enjoy .

alberto pereira
    Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alberto For This Useful Post:

I also deflated the moment I left the tar after Alexander Bay. Stayed safe. Took it easy. Road was quite corrugated. Then I noticed the locals speeding past me. School buses, mini bus taxis, normal sedans. I did not see any of them deflating tyres!
    Land Rover Defender Puma

Previous ride: Defender 90 tD5

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie2 View Post
    I also deflated the moment I left the tar after Alexander Bay. Stayed safe. Took it easy. Road was quite corrugated. Then I noticed the locals speeding past me. School buses, mini bus taxis, normal sedans. I did not see any of them deflating tyres!
    no they don't deflate .foot innie hoek ,our last trip back from de hoop on that stretch to alex, one guy rolled his navarra ,and they was busy collecting parts ,i am going after chrismas to de hoop ,hope they graded the road ,

alberto pereira
    Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
    i am going after chrismas to de hoop
    Well, then we will probably see you there!

We are due to arrive at De Hoop on 27 December, and will be there for 4 nights, leaving on 31 December.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Neville Bailey For This Useful Post:

It would be great to get some feedback on your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    It would be great to get some feedback on your trip.
    Have a look at this thread: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...p-Richtersveld

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Neville Bailey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Neville Bailey View Post
    Great stuff.
    Thanks.

Having just done a week in the RV I can tell you that the gravel road from Alex bay is in absolutely shocking condition, jarring Sandy corrigations and bed rock most of the way. Average speed of 30kmh. The alternate route is via eksteenfontein and kubous or Lekkersing which is in great condition except for a section 20km north of Eksteenfontein through the mountain pass which is stoney and slow going. average speed was 60kmh.
    Used pressures of 1.8bar for the trip.
    RV roads were in great condition compared to Alex bay road.