Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Stuck on a hill with trailer, how to get out?

Quote Originally Posted by Ejay View Post
    I have been in a similar situation years ago although slope angle and other conditions may have been very different...

My solution was to ensure I am in low range and then purposely reverse the trailer into a jacknifed position. Then selecting 1st gear and going forward slightly aggressively. The trailer in the jacknifed position allowed me to gain sufficient momentum before it straightened out and the full load of the trailer was transferred to the Pajero.
    I would say this would be an absolute last resort as on steep ground this is a very quick route to having a broken A-frame or the trailer jacknifed into the car. Then you really can't go anywhere.

Hi All,

Just heading out on safari again.

So, I have added some sand tracks and a tirfor hand winch to my kit.

The Tirfor winch is all about improving my chances to manhandle the trailer in various circumstances when short handed.

I like this option as the winch is completely divorced from the tow vehicle, I can winch the trailer from the tow vehicle, front or back, or from nearby rocks/trees anchors etc.

Unfortunately MAx tracks arent available here, and I found some old steel sand tracks that are rather heavy. So I am dithering over whether to take them or not. The location this time is not so much hills, as sand....

Otherwise, its been an interesting thread, hope you all have a great Xmas, and find somewhere fun to travel to.

Salaams,

Alex

A Tirfor ((or similar) winch is IMO very underrated.

I got to know them in the construction industry, and its uses are varied and impressive.

Slow, but the operator is always in control.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)
    2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB

Agree with the Tirfor. If you have the space, take it.

As for the sand ladders, i guess it depends on what type of sand. If it's river-bed sand, I wouldn't bother.

If it's proper desert dune sand, maybe the sums are different. I think though that in soft sand weight is the enemy, and personally I would leave everything at home that isn't really necessary.

In sand, the risk of un-hitching is much less, and also that of towing the trailer with a rope or strap from some slightly harder ground.
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2020/12/21 at 06:23 PM.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

Quote Originally Posted by kavirondo View Post
    Hi All,

The Tirfor winch is all about improving my chances to manhandle the trailer in various circumstances when short handed.

I like this option as the winch is completely divorced from the tow vehicle, I can winch the trailer from the tow vehicle, front or back, or from nearby rocks/trees anchors etc.

Unfortunately MAx tracks arent available here, and I found some old steel sand tracks that are rather heavy. So I am dithering over whether to take them or not. The location this time is not so much hills, as sand....

Otherwise, its been an interesting thread, hope you all have a great Xmas, and find somewhere fun to travel to.

Salaams,

Alex
    kavirondo, I would seriously consider the CDL mod, or at least take a 10mm spanner along to engage your CDL if you have the option on your Transfer case. I would much rather drive through a possible situation than to do an unnecessary recovery especially while touring. See the following vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2wr6edMWMg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAuxGyU3uSQ

Off course, with the trailer in tow, it exacerbate the situation significantly.

Youtube has at least 4 different solutions activating the CDL.

Enjoy!

PM

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JP vd Merwe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kavirondo View Post
    Hi All,

Salaams,

Alex
    It would be very helpful if Kavirondo, who seems to live in Kenya, could be active on the Kenyan section of this forum. I am Kenyan born and bred. I answer every single question on Kenya, but it would be good to have someone else who comments.

Very interesting forum name of Kavirondo when you seem to live in Ongata Rongai! But others on this forum won’t understand this question...

When physics come into play, a basic uphill can become a momentous task to conquer wait a trailer hooked to the back of a vehicle. You just run out of traction. So unless you are running 35" with double lockers on a capable vehicle, a furrow, rock or whatever on a incline can make life difficult.

Now the only real dangerous thing you can do is reverse if there is a chance you can lose traction. IOW if yiou know you can decent with brakes only, its fine. Doing a stall start in gear with a trailer is close to impossible. You wont be able to react fast enough [99% of people wont]

A runaway car and trailer is a dangerous combo, so to chuck the wheels is a good start.

Now before we elaborate. You have 2 cenarios.
    1]1 vehicle adventurer
    2]Group of people venturing out.

So on 2 its easier. Cars in front that can either tow you up or assist you down slowly. Lets go to 1. You are alone with your family.

I work on the following if you travel alone, and only ITO recovery
    You need the following
    1]Winch, also referred to as self recovery winch. Jip when its you by your lonesome a very effective tool.
    2]Winch extension straps , recovery gear, spade, hilift, hilift winch chains, exhast jack, ropes.
    3]Sand ladders, Axe, spade etc.

So I would have considered the following
    1] Wich yourself back over the incline. 1st prize
    Easy to build anchors if there were big trees
    2]Use winch as a lifeline to go down
    3]Chock, secure and unhook the trailer, turn around , hook to nose of car and take it down
    4]or unhook and let it go down with the winch.

Trying to get the trailer down by hand is just a dangerous exercise, so making it lighter or unloading it would have been the 1st thing to do.

Because the tow hook is under tension a simple task like unhooking could have become challenging.

When we do training with these things for our customers it all goes with a risk assessment. Do it safe. And we should do the same. Weigh up the risks and execute the safest option.

So essentially everything becomes less complicated if you are prepared.
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Engel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    A Tirfor ((or similar) winch is IMO very underrated.

I got to know them in the construction industry, and its uses are varied and impressive.

Slow, but the operator is always in control.
    Amazing but find them useless if you don't have help. Never used mine successfully offroad for self recovery. I do however use it when we do vehicle and truck recoveries
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Quote Originally Posted by JP vd Merwe View Post
    kavirondo, I would seriously consider the CDL mod, or at least take a 10mm spanner along to engage your CDL if you have the option on your Transfer case. I would much rather drive through a possible situation than to do an unnecessary recovery especially while touring. See the following vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2wr6edMWMg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAuxGyU3uSQ

Off course, with the trailer in tow, it exacerbate the situation significantly.

Youtube has at least 4 different solutions activating the CDL.

Enjoy!

PM
    I loved my 2001 Disco TD5. The center diff lock makes a huge difference. There is a good possibility it is there and just need a cable ,steel rod and a wire. A Landy guy in Bloemfontein connected mine. He made a hole in the floor (net langs die tonnel by jou voete) You pull it to engage and push to disengage. Then he connected the wire from the transfer case to the dashboard so a light came on when you engage it. I paid about R750 for this.
    If you engage it with a spanner you might forget to disengage it.(yes it will wind up)
    Land Rover thought the traction control was good enough and the CDL not needed. If memory serves me right they put it back from 2003 onwards.
    Last edited by jacodv1; 2020/12/26 at 03:12 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5