Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Stuck on a hill with trailer, how to get out?

HDC on a Disco 2 is a bit of a joke it is much to fast to be useful. Actually it is dangerous it is so fast especially on the auto.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hylton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GarethHAllen View Post
    It always amazes me that some say a winch is too much weight and not an essential item.
    Yeah, up until today I have been one of those who say Winch is heavy. But now Im rethinking. Having said that the number of times in my life where I have needed one are so few. (Maybe I am not trying hard enough).

It occurs to me that in this situation a hand held Tirfor Cable winch would have been very handy, can can be fitted to the front or back or even to rocks & trees on the side. See Tirfor Winche here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoodYb3vK0E

These are much lighter and cheaper than a full winch + bumper + electrics.
    Alex
    Last edited by kavirondo; 2020/12/06 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kavirondo View Post
    Its a 2002 td5 manual with HDC. Yes it does work in reverse, but for any of you that have tried it, HDC can be quite fast, and the pucker factor when you first get going before HDC kicks in can be quite high

Its all a moot point as reversing a trailer at anything above a crawl goes wrong v. quickly.

Alex
    You can minus the speed on the cruise control button but you are right the initial start off is quick and as soon as you touch the brake it kicks out.
    Did you manage to get up that hill eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by tgwinduna View Post
    You can minus the speed on the cruise control button but you are right the initial start off is quick and as soon as you touch the brake it kicks out.
    No cruse control on this Disco!

We ran out of time sadly, so I have saved it for another day.

Yeah, up until today I have been one of those who say Winch is heavy. But now Im rethinking. Having said that the number of times in my life where I have needed one are so few. (Maybe I am not trying hard enough).

It occurs to me that in this situation a hand held Tirfor Cable winch would have been very handy, can can be fitted to the front or back or even to rocks & trees on the side. See Tirfor Winche here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoodYb3vK0E

Alex
    In this case it still was not an essential item since you came right. Thanks for sharing this experience.

BTW, I would not pull the trailer up with a snatch strap on a skid plate. With the ruts in the road, you have no control over directional control of your trailer, which will follow one of the ruts wider than the skid plate, and could get thrown off the road, or get wedged in one of the ruts.
    Mike Lauterbach

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Hi,

Photos below.

Re fauna, not much sadly. Hyaenas came close in the night. This was the north west Matchews Range in Kenya.

For recovery equipment, I have Hi-Lift Jack, Panga, Shovel, Ropes and Snatch strap, and Samburu Warriors (with AK 47).

We recruited some excellent Samburu lads to help out. The rope system worked well that they werent really needed, but good to have more control. Besides, its imported to leave some $$$ behind in the communities.

Click to make larger:

Its amazing how the photos make the hill seem less steep.

Attachment 598127

Attachment 598128

Attachment 598129

Attachment 598130

Attachment 598131

Attachment 598132

Below: Obligatory Baraza (meeting) to "hows your father" remark of the price of goats today and agree a labour price.
    Attachment 598133

Below: If you look carefully you can see the green rope with 2:1 purchase here.
    Attachment 598134

Attachment 598136
    Epic! Thanks for sharing.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind≤)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Alex
    Even one of those relatively light-duty "come alog" hand winches would have worked here. More convenient than the Tirfor as the cable is contained in the unit.

Shortly after buying my car, my parents sponsored me one of those one-day 4x4 courses. The first thing the instructor did (after introducing himself) was to ask "who here has a winch on the front bumper". His next words were "congratulations, you have just paid umpteen thousand rands to help a buddy, because more often than not a winch on the front bumper is useless as you don't want to drag yourself further into trouble".

I thus designed a system where I could mount a winch on the rear bumper of my car, but move it easily to the front if required. However, ten years later I still haven't fitted it, nor bought the winch to fit.
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2020/12/06 at 01:00 PM.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Do not change gear next attempt?

Quote Originally Posted by tgwinduna View Post

I am blank about controlling the speed with HDC. How do you do this on the TD5.
    Not sure I even want to know after having the vehicle for over 12 years without knowing. I thought this was only a function on the newer vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by mike cullen View Post
    Do not change gear next attempt?
    Yeah, that all goes without saying (prevention always better than cure), but after many hours, and many previous hills and dusk, I was tired and I messed up.... So it became a how to get out of the situation thread instead of a how to not get in that situation in the first place thread

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kavirondo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    Even one of those relatively light-duty "come alog" hand winches would have worked here. More convenient than the Tirfor as the cable is contained in the unit.

Shortly after buying my car, my parents sponsored me one of those one-day 4x4 courses. The first thing the instructor did (after introducing himself) was to ask "who here has a winch on the front bumper". His next words were "congratulations, you have just paid umpteen thousand rands to help a buddy, because more often than not a winch on the front bumper is useless as you don't want to drag yourself further into trouble".

I thus designed a system where I could mount a winch on the rear bumper of my car, but move it easily to the front if required. However, ten years later I still haven't fitted it, nor bought the winch to fit.
    I have never seen a come along with a long enough cable, a Tirfor type can be unlimited in length, but 30m is common. If you look at the photos you will see that its a relatively long slope.

Also, Ratchet type come alongs I hate.

You can fit accessories like winches to your heart's content, in some untoward situation something will yet be missing. And given the usually limited payload of most stock SUVs, a nicely kitted vehicle leaves you with very little payload and next thing you know, it's overloaded and you sit next to the road with a broken spring, waiting for spares from Australia.

Given the circumstances and equipment at hand, you have done the right thing. And thanks for sharing, I learned from your experience! Those photos helped a lot to comprehend the situation.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

I know pictures can be deceiving. Does not look like a very serious obstacle.
    Seems you have taken the wrong line and drove right into the washout.

I am sure with a few meters of backtrack taking a beter line you should have been able to re srart your way up again

19. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

I didn't even read it all. Use that short stick. I use mine a lot. Else my clutch would have been toast, a long time ago.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ZuluCowboy View Post
    It will end in disaster. Unhook the trailer and lead it down. Secure it with rope to the vehicle.
    Never ever unhitch a trailer on a steep hill and try to manoeuvre it by hand, you won't be able to control it.

Apart, you will probably not be able to unhitch it in any case as the weight on pull on the hook would be to big.

As long as the trailer is securely hooked on it is safe, unhooking will make any situation much worse.

Remember it is a steep hill where the driver failed to scale it due to wrong gear selection, it's not the garage driveway.

The way to do it is to engage low range reverse gear and slowly reverse the rig down the slope making sure the trailer does not jack-knife.
    You have to be very alert when the trailer is starting to move out of a straight line to correct immediately before it goes into an angle that you have only forward movement to correct.

One you can assure you can do a forward movement in low range then continue the uphill drive.

Edit:
    Seeing the photos now I see the deep ruts which the trailer would follow in reverse, this would help a lot to keep it in a straight line and free from jack-knifing.
    Last edited by Kalahari Safari; 2020/12/06 at 04:50 PM.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:‚Äč‚Äč WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    I didn't even read it all. Use that short stick. I use mine a lot. Else my clutch would have been toast, a long time ago.
    Going in to this hill the following was true:

Tyre pressure on car and trailer reduced
    Low range selected
    HDC engaged

More facts:
    it was 18.30 or so and late dusk, lights on.

I went in to it with insufficient speed as I was tired and hungry, and in wrong gear - 2nd Low as I remember it.

Sorry you didnt read it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Never ever unhitch a trailer on a steep hill and try to manoeuvre it by hand, you won't be able to control it.

Apart, you will probably not be able to unhitch it in any case as the weight on pull on the hook would be to big.

As long as the trailer is securely hooked on it is safe, unhooking will make any situation much worse.

Remember it is a steep hill where the driver failed to scale it due to wrong gear selection, it's not the garage driveway.

The way to do it is to engage low range reverse gear and slowly reverse the rig down the slope making sure the trailer does not jack-knife.
    You have to be very alert when the trailer is starting to move out of a straight line to correct immediately before it goes into an angle that you have only forward movement to correct.

One you can assure you can do a forward movement in low range then continue the uphill drive.

Edit:
    Seeing the photos now I see the deep ruts which the trailer would follow in reverse, this would help a lot to keep it in a straight line and free from jack-knifing.
    @Kalahari Safari - Never ever unhitch a trailer on a steep hill and try to manoeuvre it by hand, you won't be able to control it.
    Except that is exactly what I did. Your right about the trailer being well hooked on on the slope, but as I said earlier I found a way to use the highlifht fack to unhitch. Additional note here, I left the safety chains on while un-hooking so that the trailer could not run away. I lowered the hitch right to the ground on its skid plate. The trailer is nose heavy and with the trailer brakes on and some rocks (I know rocks are a poor substitute for chocks - my bad) was stable.

I then set up my 2:1 purchase to the car while safety chains still connected, and once the load was taken up on that, then released the safety chains from the car.

@Kalahar Safari - The way to do it is to engage low range reverse gear and slowly reverse the rig down the slope making sure the trailer does not jack-knife.

Thank you for your suggestion here, I think you are the only one here who suggested that it might actually be possible to reverse the trailer down as a full rig, care to share your stories and experience? However, I did not feel that my skills and the conditions would have made that possible. I am relatively new to offroading with trailers. I do see your point on the trailer following the ruts.

I believe I did the right thing by stopping for the night to have a think about the situation, and my solution did at least work even if its not risk free or the best.

So, to everyone, who has actually been in this situation? and how did you solve it?

Salaams,

Alex
    Last edited by kavirondo; 2020/12/06 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    I know pictures can be deceiving. Does not look like a very serious obstacle.
    Seems you have taken the wrong line and drove right into the washout.

I am sure with a few meters of backtrack taking a beter line you should have been able to re srart your way up again
    But thats my question, how do you backtrack (even a few meters) with a trailer on a steep slope? Have you tried it? If so please talk us through the steps so we can learn.

PS: Yup, I know well that I took the wrong line in the wrong gear!...

Yes you took the wrong gear. Also the wrong line. I have never owned a Disco but all the 4x4's I have owned were super slow in low range.

Cannot see why you could not backed up in low range and then took the better line.

Biggest problem were you took the wrong line. You drove yourself into trouble

And yes I have done serious reverse sessions in 4x4's with trailers. Low range with the engine running in reverse would give you adequate compression braking. Light braking with brake pedal will leave you at snail speed.

Again judging your pics it were nothing serious
    Last edited by grips; 2020/12/06 at 09:49 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Pictures tend to lie when showing how steep a slope is.
    What I would like to know is how did you get up the hill the next day.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast