Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: How tough are these small SUV-buggies like the Ecosport, T-Cross etc.?

A 2.4 Fortuner auto is tougher than the small SUV's, if she is used to a bakkie the Fortuner is no too big and not too heavy on fuel. If new is too expensive look for a low km 2nd. hand one.

I know the new Dacia is not the same than the ones we got some 20 years ago but those ones were rubbish and put me off Dacia forever. The Duster is nice looking and they advrtise it as a
    dirt road vehicle so it should be ok. T-Cross and Ecosport I agree, mainly for paved roads.
    Last edited by PierredW; 2020/12/07 at 07:58 AM.

Default Re: How tough are these small SUV-buggies like the Ecosport, T-Cross etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by NvD42 View Post
    I have NO skin in the game or actual experience with any of them.

My feeling is that the Suzuki Vitara could be a great option.

Or buy "cheaper" run-a-round for Mom with money for a rental for these trips.

Cheers

Nico

I am using a Vitare on fairly poor dirt rooads. Its clearance is good and it performs well. The manual option allows controlled movemnt in bad conditions

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    So she sells the most appropriate vehicle for the intended use? I'm a little confused. Why was this decided upon?
    I strangely still don't have an answer on this yet? Why was the 4x4 bakkie sold?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Somer so 'n simpel vraag. . Hoeveel van die Duster eienaars en van die ander voertuie wat hier aanbeveel word was al by Kgalagadi?
    My pa se Duster was al Namibie en Richtersveld toe onder andere.

Rakende die Subaru, dit is seker 'n opsie solank jy 'n diensplan het. Om 'n Subaru te diens op eie onkoste is 'n traantrekker.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hennie84 For This Useful Post:

I strangely still don't have an answer on this yet? Why was the 4x4 bakkie sold?
    Her husband passed.

She probably does not want to be exposed to the high running and operating costs of a 4x4 D/C.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

I drove my Duster to 185kkm from new. It was still driving perfectly. Services are so comparatively reasonable at the dealer that I did all itís services there. Parts are cheap & available, unlike some of the more popular choice of cars.

Thereís very little that went wrong that I can barely remember such a list.

Jimnys are great but off-road focused. A Duster will make a better daily & is much more versatile.

A Fortuna canít keep up with it on a dirt road.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to XJ Junky For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post

She probably does not want to be exposed to the high running and operating costs of a 4x4 D/C.
    The WHAT? The 300LX uses around 9L/100 ? Service once every 15,000kms with oil and filters? Anyhoo............
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

I've got a client with a 2018 Scorpio, the mHawk S10 4x4 - bought from new, he has been through 7, yes 7 gearboxes in 2 years.

Luckily all replaced under warranty, but they have told him no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    http://www.newcardeals.co.za/new-cars/mahindra/scorpio

http://www.newcardeals.co.za/new-car...crde-t8/215702

Seriously..

They are great value, drive very well, robust, and capable for what she needs..

Just go and have a look

The TUV is rear wheel drive and very tough
    The Scorpio is well known and easy on the eye

Quote Originally Posted by MRJT View Post
    I've got a client with a 2018 Scorpio, the mHawk S10 4x4 - bought from new, he has been through 7, yes 7 gearboxes in 2 years.

Luckily all replaced under warranty, but they have told him no more.
    I call BS, without proof

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

I've got the 2017 Duster 4x4 Diesel, just over 90,000km now and no hassles at all.

Done quite a bit of 4x4 trails and it surprises me every time. Not to mention the fantastic fuel consumption.

I've recently fitted Dunlop Grandtrek AT5 tyres on it, and we will be taking it to the Richtersveld in a few week's time, with our Oryx in tow.

Here's a picture of our trip to the Kgalagadi in December 2017.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Neville Bailey For This Useful Post:

Keep the Polo and rent a 4x4 for the annual trip. Easy.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 3.0 CRD

I'm OK with that

I call BS, without proof

Cool Re: How tough are these small SUV-buggies like the Ecosport, T-Cross etc.?

OMG!!! I was just that guy, wasn't I
    Nit at all, I was just about to suggest Mahindra Thar!

Why is the reason so important? Maybe it was just sentiment, since it was her dead husband's vehicle? Fact is, it has been sold and obviously the lady would like something smaller.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junky View Post
    Did you have issues with your Duster?
    Never had a Duster but have had several other French vehicles... seems I am a slow learner

But I have since been educated that it is not a French car at all and I have mentioned that I think the Duster is a capable softroader from what and where I have seen it.
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Yay!)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gazza1210 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Why is the reason so important? Maybe it was just sentiment, since it was her dead husband's vehicle? Fact is, it has been sold and obviously the lady would like something smaller.
    maybe a technical reason, such as she can only drive an auto, or she is really short, but never mind, as you say, not important any more
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    As Cyclone says about the Ecosport, same applies to the VW T-Cross. It's based on the same platform as the current Polo and Audi A1.
    All theses types of crossover vehicles thrive on the thirst for SUVs. Everybody wants something with a higher roof line than the average sedan. Maybe there is a little more headspace inside and a few more cubic cm of boot space, whether it is usable or not.
    Engine, gearbox and suspension are made for normal paved roads, same as the tamer siblings these mini crossovers are based on.
    As to tyres, have a look at the manufacturer's websites and check out the tyre sizes. Even just looking at the photos, you'll see that they usually come with low profile tyres.

Around 10 years ago some of the large car hire companies tried out the Honda CRV, which was quite popular with tourists for traveling on gravel roads. During that time we saw a lot of these rentals coming home on flat bed trucks with one of the front suspension struts pushing up the bonnet.

If you use these type of vehicles on unpaved roads, I'm sure you will see at least increased wear on suspension components, if not failures of components.
    Hugonotte, agree 100%. Would not buy an EcoSport or T-Cross or any other 'Cross' even for gravel roads. They are tar road cars with a bit of lift. Jimny is tough enough. I was never a Duster fan-until I saw all the hired ones buzzing around Namibia last year. Never saw one broken and came across them in Koakoland as well.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to rob wilson For This Useful Post:

Hi guys, I am retired, living in Knysna and have been following this thread with great interest as I have been doing very similar research for such a vehicle for myself lately. I wish to downscale from a 2001 BMW X5 not because it's giving trouble but because it's become to big for me and it's very thirsty on petrol. It has only done around 230,000 km but seeing as it's approaching 20 years old my guess is that sooner or later something serious is likely to go wrong that will cost a lot of money to repair. I do insist on having an auto so the Duster is definitely out of the running because I am not fond of the badge and anyway auto does not appear to be available. I do like the Jimny but think it might not be too comfortable on a long tar road trip and I really would not need a car to handle serious 4x4 trips. There are two other similar vehicle I have come across namely the Jeep Renegade and the Fiat 500X and would love to have your comments on those as well.

Many thanks Malcolm

Quote Originally Posted by Malkie View Post
    Hi guys, I am retired, living in Knysna and have been following this thread with great interest as I have been doing very similar research for such a vehicle for myself lately. I wish to downscale from a 2001 BMW X5 not because it's giving trouble but because it's become to big for me and it's very thirsty on petrol. It has only done around 230,000 km but seeing as it's approaching 20 years old my guess is that sooner or later something serious is likely to go wrong that will cost a lot of money to repair. I do insist on having an auto so the Duster is definitely out of the running because I am not fond of the badge and anyway auto does not appear to be available. I do like the Jimny but think it might not be too comfortable on a long tar road trip and I really would not need a car to handle serious 4x4 trips. There are two other similar vehicle I have come across namely the Jeep Renegade and the Fiat 500X and would love to have your comments on those as well.

Many thanks Malcolm
    The Duster is most definitely available in automatic.

Here is a breakdown of the model variants
    https://www.carmag.co.za/new-cars/Re...r/Prices-Specs

Regarding the Jeep and Fiat, not sure if you're aware but the are the same vehicle basically.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast