Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default How tough are these small SUV-buggies like the Ecosport, T-Cross etc.?

So my mom has started looking around for a replacement vehicle. She has sold my late dad's Isuzu KB300 4x4 and will sell her Polo early in the new year. Now we need to find a replacement that can serve as an ou tannie's runabout (i.e. no bakkies), but is also tough enough to do an annual trip to the Kgalagadi. I'm thinking Duster or even Jimny. She's not keen on the Duster, as the workshop guys are scaring her away from Renault. Her mind is more on vehicles like the Ecosport and T-Cross. She doesn't need space, as she travels light.

So my question is simple. Will these types of vehicles survive a couple of years of bad corrugations once in a while? Do you get proper tyres for them?

Default Re: How tough are these small SUV-buggies like the Ecosport, T-Cross etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by dph View Post
    So my mom has started looking around for a replacement vehicle. She has sold my late dad's Isuzu KB300 4x4 and will sell her Polo early in the new year. Now we need to find a replacement that can serve as an ou tannie's runabout (i.e. no bakkies), but is also tough enough to do an annual trip to the Kgalagadi. I'm thinking Duster or even Jimny. She's not keen on the Duster, as the workshop guys are scaring her away from Renault. Her mind is more on vehicles like the Ecosport and T-Cross. She doesn't need space, as she travels light.

So my question is simple. Will these types of vehicles survive a couple of years of bad corrugations once in a while? Do you get proper tyres for them?
    The EcoSport is based on the fiesta, uses very similar suspension components. The shocks and bushes will wear out very quickly on bad corrugated roads.

I don't know the t cross as well, but I would bet it has the same basic suspension as the polo.

Basically, they will survive if you drive carefully, but you will have to replace suspension components sooner than on something with a bit more suspension travel.

The Jimmy will do just fine.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cyclone101 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: How tough are these small SUV-buggies like the Ecosport, T-Cross etc.?

I have NO skin in the game or actual experience with any of them.

My feeling is that the Suzuki Vitara could be a great option.

Or buy "cheaper" run-a-round for Mom with money for a rental for these trips.

Cheers

Nico
    Nico van Diemen

'91 BYB - Big Yellow Bus - Ex-CT Tdi Disco

'05 BOV - Big Orange Van - TDV6 D3 G4 It met a COW and is Gone, gone , gone ... replaced
    '11 - D4 V8 - BLACK (for now )
    '10 JK Sahara 2 Door - Open top for me and my boys - 3.8 V6 lifted muds bumpers sorted - Yip also orange
    '16 KIA SEDONA - 11 SEATS
    SWAMBO: Black RCZ

I'd vote for the Jimny... small enough for a city vehicle and capable enough for the bush... light on juice.

Duster...Don't get me started of French vehicles...
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Yay!)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

I reckon Duster is the most off-road suitable one but if buying new / under warranty, then tyre size is probably the biggest consideration as any newish car will handle mostly tar and the occasional bad road jaunt.

I take it all wheel drive not an essential?

That new Hyundai Venue comes with 215 / 60 R 16 and you can get the newer Geolandar G015 AT tyres in that size.

Also Vitara and if it will suit from a size and drive point of view, new Jimny.

Not sure of EcoSport, T-Cross etc can fit a decent tyre.

Also, full size spare tyre is probably useful if not essential.
    Last edited by Andrew5336; 2020/12/04 at 10:18 AM.
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi

Quote Originally Posted by gazza1210 View Post
    I'd vote for the Jimny... small enough for a city vehicle and capable enough for the bush... light on juice.

With french products, the rule of thumb is simple. If you can't eat it or sleep with it, don't spend money on it
    Last edited by MANDREAS; 2020/12/04 at 10:18 AM.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Rav4

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DifflockDonkey For This Useful Post:

Cool, you guys are basically echoing my sentiments. That is good.

As Cyclone says about the Ecosport, same applies to the VW T-Cross. It's based on the same platform as the current Polo and Audi A1.
    All theses types of crossover vehicles thrive on the thirst for SUVs. Everybody wants something with a higher roof line than the average sedan. Maybe there is a little more headspace inside and a few more cubic cm of boot space, whether it is usable or not.
    Engine, gearbox and suspension are made for normal paved roads, same as the tamer siblings these mini crossovers are based on.
    As to tyres, have a look at the manufacturer's websites and check out the tyre sizes. Even just looking at the photos, you'll see that they usually come with low profile tyres.

Around 10 years ago some of the large car hire companies tried out the Honda CRV, which was quite popular with tourists for traveling on gravel roads. During that time we saw a lot of these rentals coming home on flat bed trucks with one of the front suspension struts pushing up the bonnet.

If you use these type of vehicles on unpaved roads, I'm sure you will see at least increased wear on suspension components, if not failures of components.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandreas View Post
    with french products, the rule of thumb is simple. If you can't eat it or sleep with it, don't spend money on it
    lmga!!

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    As Cyclone says about the Ecosport, same applies to the VW T-Cross. It's based on the same platform as the current Polo and Audi A1.
    All theses types of crossover vehicles thrive on the thirst for SUVs. Everybody wants something with a higher roof line than the average sedan. Maybe there is a little more headspace inside and a few more cubic cm of boot space, whether it is usable or not.
    Engine, gearbox and suspension are made for normal paved roads, same as the tamer siblings these mini crossovers are based on.
    As to tyres, have a look at the manufacturer's websites and check out the tyre sizes. Even just looking at the photos, you'll see that they usually come with low profile tyres.

Around 10 years ago some of the large car hire companies tried out the Honda CRV, which was quite popular with tourists for traveling on gravel roads. During that time we saw a lot of these rentals coming home on flat bed trucks with one of the front suspension struts pushing up the bonnet.

If you use these type of vehicles on unpaved roads, I'm sure you will see at least increased wear on suspension components, if not failures of components.
    Best answer here!

But let her go drive the Jimny first. It is not to everyone's liking
    I agree with the RAV suggestion - but they are eye wateringly expensive for what you get

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

I would go Duster 4wd diesel as it will be the more complete package between the lot mentioned, space, economy, safety, and its actually built for gravel travel. I know the people are upgrading to Goodyear Wranglers AT's and Grabber At's in the 215/65x16 so I would stay away from the 17's in the top spec. If she is buying new I wouldn't worry about parts and other stuff as we own a Duster gen1 and at 90000km currently have had no issues.
    Henk Stols

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yster1979 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gazza1210 View Post
    The Duster is not a French vehicle. It's actually a Dacia, a Romanian brand. Renault has bought it some time ago and is selling the Dacia Duster as a Renault in SA.
    Have a look at the Renault section of the forum, there is lots of information available. I have heard lots of reasonably encouraging things about the Duster.

But in the end, a Jimny might just what you are looking for. It's a properly designed off road vehicle that has been designed to cope with the type of punishment that bad gravel roads can throw at it and it will certainly do well in the Kgalagadi.
    I'm sure it will outlast many softroaders and most certainly those crossover SUVs.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Jimny is the only one that will make it on the roads in and around Kgalagadi.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    The Duster is not a French vehicle. It's actually a Dacia, a Romanian brand. Renault has bought it some time ago and is selling the Dacia Duster as a Renault in SA.
    Have a look at the Renault section of the forum, there is lots of information available. I have heard lots of reasonably encouraging things about the Duster.

But in the end, a Jimny might just what you are looking for. It's a properly designed off road vehicle that has been designed to cope with the type of punishment that bad gravel roads can throw at it and it will certainly do well in the Kgalagadi.
    I'm sure it will outlast many softroaders and most certainly those crossover SUVs.
    The fact that it's not a proper Renault is a good thing! I have seen that they are quite capable but never looked further due to my aversion for French cars.
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Yay!)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

24. The Following User Says Thank You to gazza1210 For This Useful Post:

My daily is an Ecosport. It is not really an SUV. It is rather a larger normal car. I would not go to Kgalagadi with it.

Jimny or Vitara allgrip would be much better but if she is going ever want to go to certain places (Bitterpan/Gharagab/Bots side) then the Jimny is the way to go...
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

I have a 2017 Ecosport TDCI and Tow a Skipper Model T with it. It does gravel roads pretty well but I agree the suspension components will need additional maintenance and vigilance with regular use on D roads. Also an option is the Haval H1. I drove one last week and oh my I completely underestimated this brand and quality. The H6 was something else

I think mom needs to look at the previous shape Grand Vitara, that will be ideal. 2016/2017 model Dune.

The 2.4 is a bit heavy on juice compared to ECOSPORT, T Cross etc, but she will pay R 150 000 less than a new one off those, and will never use the balance on fuel. BUT she will have a car that can do gravel roads and is very comfortable on tar
    Last edited by Bostokkelos; 2020/12/04 at 11:15 AM.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bostokkelos For This Useful Post:

http://www.newcardeals.co.za/new-cars/mahindra/scorpio

http://www.newcardeals.co.za/new-car...crde-t8/215702

Seriously..

They are great value, drive very well, robust, and capable for what she needs..

Just go and have a look

The TUV is rear wheel drive and very tough
    The Scorpio is well known and easy on the eye

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    http://www.newcardeals.co.za/new-cars/mahindra/scorpio

http://www.newcardeals.co.za/new-car...crde-t8/215702

Seriously..

They are great value, drive very well, robust, and capable for what she needs..

Just go and have a look

The TUV is rear wheel drive and very tough
    The Scorpio is well known and easy on the eye

OMG!!! I was just that guy, wasn't I

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast