ABSA data breach.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default ABSA data breach.

Got this email today from ABSA.
    This explains why these telemarketer biatches has been phoning me nonstop. Now if I see a 087 number I answer and out the phone down on my desk. When they hang up I block the number.

Dear Frederik

We regret to notify you that Absa has identified an isolated internal data leak whereby personal information of a limited number of Absa customers was shared with parties external to the Bank. We are contacting all affected customers directly.

Unfortunately, some of your personal information was part of this data which included identity number, vehicle description financed, address and contact details. Absa takes the protection of personal data extremely seriously and has taken proactive steps to address the potential risk to our customers.

Based on our investigation we have reason to believe that the data was intended for telemarketing purposes.

We’re reaching out to you, our valued customer, to assure you that we have taken precautionary measures to protect you and your financial interests.

We maintain a comprehensive set of controls and processes to protect your data, and constantly improve them to ensure we adapt to the evolving techniques, used by criminals, to bypass them. We have already refined our controls and processes, in light of this compromise, to further strengthen our defences and reduce the risk of an incident like this from re-occurring.
    Willie Knoetze

2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

Default Re: ABSA data breach.

Kobus

Me too...and my wife.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 4Motion Auto

"Absa has identified an isolated internal data leak"

So one of your criminal little employees sold the data?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Easy fix.The guy selling the data is as guilty as the one paying for it.Arrest them on the Popi act violation..O wait..no one cares to enforce the laws

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Easy fix.The guy selling the data is as guilty as the one paying for it.Arrest them on the Popi act violation..O wait..no one cares to enforce the laws
    POPI is not there to stop people buying or selling PII. POPI is there to make organisations accountable for the information they store.

In short: you cannot screw up people having PII under POPI. You are also not going to stop direct marketing and similar. But you can actually make sure that organisations that process consumer information protect it. That is the POPI act in a nutshell.

Edit: it is also going to be a heck of a long time before the act gets a real run for its money from a litigation aspect. My thoughts at any rate.
    Last edited by iandvl; 2020/12/01 at 05:09 PM.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    Got this email today from ABSA.
    This explains why these telemarketer biatches has been phoning me nonstop. Now if I see a 087 number I answer and out the phone down on my desk. When they hang up I block the number.

Dear Frederik

We regret to notify you that Absa has identified an isolated internal data leak whereby personal information of a limited number of Absa customers was shared with parties external to the Bank. We are contacting all affected customers directly.

Unfortunately, some of your personal information was part of this data which included identity number, vehicle description financed, address and contact details. Absa takes the protection of personal data extremely seriously and has taken proactive steps to address the potential risk to our customers.

Based on our investigation we have reason to believe that the data was intended for telemarketing purposes.

We’re reaching out to you, our valued customer, to assure you that we have taken precautionary measures to protect you and your financial interests.

We maintain a comprehensive set of controls and processes to protect your data, and constantly improve them to ensure we adapt to the evolving techniques, used by criminals, to bypass them. We have already refined our controls and processes, in light of this compromise, to further strengthen our defences and reduce the risk of an incident like this from re-occurring.
    This scares me more and more, wasn't there a big data leak not too long ago which effected people from a couple of different banks?
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

Isnt it ironic? The telemarketers that make use of my personal info the most is....................... ABSA
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Would be great if there was a false list of names and numbers, say 2 million or so.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    This scares me more and more, wasn't there a big data leak not too long ago which effected people from a couple of different banks?
    Scares me as well but hey maybe someday they will start paying our accounts for us as well
    Willie Knoetze

How do you treat telemarketers knowing that they probably got your details from a data breach?
    Willie Knoetze

How do you treat telemarketers knowing that they probably got your details from a data breach?

I'm never nasty with telemarketers, unless they go on and on after I say that I'm not interested.
    I see it as a person doing their job, they didn't pick that job, but it's the best job they could get and they are trying to make a living.

I actually had one not too long ago, good day sir I'm calling you about XYZ, are you interested? Me, no. Ok sir have a great day thank you for your time. That's how it's supposed to be, it probably took 30 seconds of my time.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

I am rude as as can be. I want to get the personal cell phone number of of the CEOs of all these banks, insurance and telecommunication companies. Then share all over and ask people to phone them all and any time of the day with crap!!!!
    That Mighty Amarok
    ---------------------------------------
    Swart Tires wat ek self gekoop het
    Pull over wat my ouma gebrei het
    Vensters waar deur ek kan sien
    Engine voor
    Exhaust agter

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snyks For This Useful Post:

For every data breach you hear about in the media, 5 others goes unreported.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Rustie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Snyks View Post
    I am rude as as can be. I want to get the personal cell phone number of of the CEOs of all these banks, insurance and telecommunication companies. Then share all over and ask people to phone them all and any time of the day with crap!!!!
    I am with you on that.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

My take is not to be rude to the person calling you... they did not solicit the list, they are trying to earn a living.

Ask them to put you through to their supervisor, then the next level until you get high enough to scream at them...

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mogster For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mogster View Post
    My take is not to be rude to the person calling you... they did not solicit the list, they are trying to earn a living.

Ask them to put you through to their supervisor, then the next level until you get high enough to scream at them...

+1 and what I also didn't add to my post earlier, that person didn't choose to dial your number, they were told by a boss to dial your number. Even that boss probably wasn't the one who got your number in some dodgy way.

Just a question - Is PII = 22/7 ?
    Regards
    HeinrichC

Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichC View Post
    Just a question - Is PII = 22/7 ?
    pi = 22/7
    Robert van den Berg

1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'