Page 335 of 361 FirstFirst ... 85 235 285 310 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 360 ... LastLast
Results 6,681 to 6,700 of 7220

Thread: F1 - 2021

Default Re: F1 - 2021

Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One Team is pleased to confirm an unchanged driver line-up for 2022: Lance Stroll and Sebastian Vettel.
    https://www.astonmartinf1.com/en-GB/...driver-line-up
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orxy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    It is his fans that lose their minds when LH decides not to be bullied anymore.
    Old Lewis is quite the bully himself when looking at the video in this link.

https://twitter.com/alo44_lfcbb/stat...306711050?s=21

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JS-V8 For This Useful Post:

Lewis is a complete enigma to me - I trully cannot fathom how fast he really is.

Let me explain - Ross Brawn famously said of Schumacher "he won many races he should have but also many races he should not have".

I believe without doubt the same applies to Lewis. How often have I not watched a race with Lewis languishing somewhere midfield and lo and behold - who crosses the line 1st - yes, Lewis. I do not think that is only the mega-Merc he had underneath him all these years - he is just so very, very, very good at winning and by implication at racing. But I do not know how good he is because for many years his competition has either been a bit limp-wristed or gave up the fight in face of Lewis' relentless approach. The only notable exceptions being Nico & Max. But as much as I support Max, he has not been a World Champion (yet) with Lewis sitting at 7 titles. Understandable given their age difference.

Equally, as much as I am convinced that Lewis is a great racer, I am also convinced that Lady Luck has pouted and fluttered her eyes at Lewis on many occacions.

What impresses me most about Lewis? His staying power. At 36 years old, with many distractions (BLM, jet-setting lifestyle, music, fashion etc) he really should have been past it and on a downward spiral or retired - but no - he is in the fight and boxing with all his might.

Why then would I be a Max fan and not a Lewis fan? I think it boils down to personalities. Google any number of clips on Max - especially away from the track - and it seems filled with laughter and joy. He seems to shrug of misfortune without effort and off course - he is blindingly fast. Lewis on the other hand is a very serious individual and seems to be very involved with his causes and the need for profound statements. Now, neither type of personality is better or worse than the other - I personally just like the extroverted Max-type more.

As for comparing Max to Senna. A lot of water needs to go under the bridge for that to happen - but is it a future possibility? Without a doubt.

Lewis can not be compared to anybody - although a lot of comparisons are drawn to Schumacher. Lewis did it his way. Although, what can be said, both Lewis and Schumacher has "owned" or "owns" F1 - and are doing so or did it for many seasons.

Which brings me back to personalities and who I like. Can anybody ever forget Schumi's sheer joy and jubilance when he won. And it never faded, no matter how many times he stood on the top step. That I trully enjoyed with him.
    Last edited by jaconell; 2021/09/16 at 02:46 PM.
    Jaco Nell

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    Well, the first two championships that Schumacher won were in a car that was subsequently deemed to be using illegal traction control, so....
    Not deemed, rumoured by the competition. FIA investigated and could not prove any wrongdoing.

If you have any further proof kindly provide it.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JS-V8 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JS-V8 View Post
    Not deemed, rumoured by the competition. FIA investigated and could not prove any wrongdoing.

If you have any further proof kindly provide it.
    Fair enough.

The FIA also could not prove that Ferrari's 2019 engine broke the rules.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    I do not think that is only the mega-Merc he had underneath him all these years -
    Definitely agree with you, however, if you listen to podcasts, there is one called "F1: Beyond the Grid" specifically a discussion with Paddy Lowe on his time at Williams, McLaren and Mercedes. He mentions that in 2014 they knew their car was way faster than anything the competition could provide. SO they turned down their engine power and asked the drivers to drive within certain limits.

I don't think we understand just how much better the Mercedes has been in the turbo era than their competition.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JS-V8 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    This is an open world, and what one says can be picked up easily. So I will not say much to prevent myself from being incriminated, but the above is an understatement of note! I speak from experience!
    Feel free to share your thoughts as your input have value and could also highlight things that was forgotten in the past etc.

I recall a documentary about Ferrari and got the impression from this that Enzo Ferrari was the start of the "problem/reason" where Ferrari has these driver issues, even from those days. Were you eluding to this in your post?

He unfortunately seems to keep getting involved in all kinds of interactions in the early laps which ruins his race.

But I do feel he is due some proper points.
    Especially at the start when you are in the middle of a mix of drivers where an incident can happen, even on a spot of a track where it is unthinkable.
    Last edited by Rebel 4x4; 2021/09/16 at 11:09 AM.
    Sent from my iPhone

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebel 4x4 For This Useful Post:

Definitely agree with you, however, if you listen to podcasts, there is one called "F1: Beyond the Grid" specifically a discussion with Paddy Lowe on his time at Williams, McLaren and Mercedes. He mentions that in 2014 they knew their car was way faster than anything the competition could provide. SO they turned down their engine power and asked the drivers to drive within certain limits.

I don't think we understand just how much better the Mercedes has been in the turbo era than their competition.
    we often saw it in qualifying when they switched on party mode in Q3 and just went significantly faster than ever before. We also saw glimpses of it in the races where they were out of position and could suddenly put in a string of mega laps.
    Anton Muller

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens.

2020 X3 M40i
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post

I recall a documentary about Ferrari and got the impression from this that Enzo Ferrari was the start of the "problem/reason" where Ferrari has these driver issues, even from those days. Were you eluding to this in your post?

No, not really. But I'll leave it at this if you don't mind
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

Very interesting for Sochi.

Russian GP: Heavy Rain Set to Drop Down at Sochi in Lastest F1 Weather Forecast Update

https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1...iL4naTm1cebfZQ
    Sent from my iPhone

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebel 4x4 For This Useful Post:

Let's hope that we don't get a repeat of the Belgian GP and that Michael Massey will actually allow some racing to take place if it is wet at Sochi.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Frontiersman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Frontiersman View Post
    Let's hope that we don't get a repeat of the Belgian GP and that Michael Massey will actually allow some racing to take place if it is wet at Sochi.
    Agree, I believe the FIA has been looking at work-arounds to avoid the Belguim GP scenario.
    Sent from my iPhone

Kindly provide us with the evidence that Paddy Lowe said this please?

Because if it's the same podcast I heard, he succinctly said quite the opposite of what you're insinuating...

See the podcast here:
    https://youtu.be/RmAZkBD4y10

Based on your comment, and all your other anti Hamilton rhetorical hate, I get the impression you think he's maar a mediocre driver that found himself in a good car and anyone could have done what he has.
    But if you really think your opinion is more qualified than Paddy Lowe's, then I'm happy for you and your ignorant bliss.

https://www.news24.com/wheels/formul...ewart-20210916

Look, he is a 3 time World Champ, wealthy, famous and all that stuff (and I am a paloeka, sure).

But man, as happens when it comes to my sister-in-law, the moment I see, hear or read anything to do with old Sir Wackie, my moermeter jumps off the clock. I really do not like him.

It goes back decades to an interview he did with Senna, where he was extremely arrogant and again later on with very snide remarks on Schumi.

I once read an interview that was done with Keke Rosberg where he said "old Jackie is always opening his big mouth when it is not needed. And you can tell him I said that".

All this just because old Sir Wackie is / was nasty towards my hero's. Shows you again, BIAS né...........😇😇
    Jaco Nell

Quote Originally Posted by shady View Post

Because if it's the same podcast I heard, he succinctly said quite the opposite of what you're insinuating...

See the podcast here:

Based on your comment, and all your other anti Hamilton rhetorical hate, I get the impression you think he's maar a mediocre driver that found himself in a good car and anyone could have done what he has.
    But if you really think your opinion is more qualified than Paddy Lowe's, then I'm happy for you and your ignorant bliss.
    all the other snide remarks aside - i also read an interview with one of the MB bigbrass - and i also happen to distinctly remember this line:
    2014 they knew their car was way faster than anything the competition could provide. SO they turned down their engine power and asked the drivers to drive within certain limits
    And its not that LH is a mediocre driver, in fact, the opposite is true: He is one of the best, and of the 20 on the grid, has always been one of the top drivers. BUT: i, in my opinion, do not think he was THE best simply because i am yet to see him race with inferior machinery. If you have the best car on the grid, by a mile (or a second per lap) - then it doesn't make you THE BEST driver on the grid.
    It is evident of the LH/NR days... one driver decided phukit - and took the wins and title... after that - they required harmony in the team. drum-roll-in-comes-VB...
    '01 HB DC 3.2D 4X4 (SE)

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N0ddy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by N0ddy View Post
    all the other snide remarks aside - i also read an interview with one of the MB bigbrass - and i also happen to distinctly remember this line:

And its not that LH is a mediocre driver, in fact, the opposite is true: He is one of the best, and of the 20 on the grid, has always been one of the top drivers. BUT: i, in my opinion, do not think he was THE best simply because i am yet to see him race with inferior machinery. If you have the best car on the grid, by a mile (or a second per lap) - then it doesn't make you THE BEST driver on the grid.
    It is evident of the LH/NR days... one driver decided phukit - and took the wins and title... after that - they required harmony in the team. drum-roll-in-comes-VB...
    The way GR squeezed himself into a Mercedes-Benz and simply drove away from the rest of the field, in a car his engineer had to explain over the radio how to operate the steering wheel, leaves no doubt in my mind that Lewis won his Mercedes-Benz championships in a superior car.
    Please note: I'm not saying he isn't world championship material, I actually firmly believe he is one of the true Greats. I'm just saying he had far superior machinery. One of the aspects of becoming a Great is the ability to secure (and hang onto) the best seat on the grid.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2021/09/17 at 06:57 AM.

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    The way GR squeezed himself into a Mercedes-Benz and simply drove away from the rest of the field, in a car his engineer had to explain over the radio how to operate the steering wheel, leaves no doubt in my mind that Lewis won his Mercedes-Benz championships in a superior car.
    Yup

The Bahrain race before Sakhir, Russel's best qualifying time in Q2 was ultimately almost 4 seconds off LH's pole time.
    In Sakhir, he qualified 2nd behind Bottas.

So can we say the MB car, in the hands of a almost rookie driver, adds anything around 2-4 seconds?
    I wonder how LH will far with a 2-4 second deficit in each race?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

Some good reading on this page without too much "hate" in evidence. Jaco your comments were well balanced and I understand your leaning towards MV. What one needs to realize though is if a Team wants to win then they always endeavour to pick the driver that will give them the ultimate result. Mercedes - LH.

LH is nearing his sell by date and there will need to be new champions coming to the fore. My concern with MV is he runs hot and cold and I feel he may not have LH's longevity. He will probably be 2/3 year champion.

The car and the driver go hand in hand to get the result. Sometimes fortunate results come from the non performance of other drivers in the pack.

A good painting always needs a good frame to set it off.
    The more we talk about what is wrong, the less we see what is right in this world.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post:

See the podcast here:

Please don't respond to posts if you don't read them properly first.

The podcast I mentioned was from April 2021, yet you respond with a link to an Autosport discussion in 2020?

On Google Podcasts: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR...Q5NjQzMzkucnNz

On Apple Pocasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcas...d/id1405972616

Scroll to 28 April 2021 for the Paddy Lowe chat.

In the podcast I mentioned Paddy clearly notes that the instruction to turn down the engine to "idle mode" (his words, not mine) came from Toto and the board of Daimler Benz, they did not want to be seen as too good politically.

Why do you refute Paddy's words if you clearly have not listened to the podcast in question?

You couldn't be more wrong. I suggest that you read my posts on Hamilton specifically, where I rate his ability as a driver very highly. His personality and air when in the car on the radio, not so much.

But what does this have to do with the fact that the Mercedes was, indisputably, miles ahead of anything else in the turbo era? Are you actually refuting this claim from Paddy Lowe (ex Mercedes Technical director) himself?
    Last edited by JS-V8; 2021/09/17 at 09:18 AM.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JS-V8 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    Yup

The Bahrain race before Sakhir, Russel's best qualifying time in Q2 was ultimately almost 4 seconds off LH's pole time.
    In Sakhir, he qualified 2nd behind Bottas.

So can we say the MB car, in the hands of a almost rookie driver, adds anything around 2-4 seconds?
    I wonder how LH will far with a 2-4 second deficit in each race?
    This is so relevant, in the Paddy Lowe interview he mentions an instance where they introduced a new bolt on component to their already dominant power unit and they immediately gained a second a lap over and above the margin they already had over the competition.

It was crazy how fast the car was.
    Last edited by JS-V8; 2021/09/17 at 09:15 AM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to JS-V8 For This Useful Post: