Page 1 of 360 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 26 51 101 251 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 - 2021

Default F1 - 2021

I think it is a good time to start a 2021 thread. What a way to start by mentioning a new signing for the 2021 season.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...MQYZBkKSj.html
    Sent from my iPhone

Default Re: F1 - 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    I think it is a good time to start a 2021 thread. What a way to start by mentioning a new signing for the 2021 season.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...MQYZBkKSj.html
    Another kid in F1 with a billionaire father. He has shown some flashes of brilliance but is not one of the top F2 drivers IMHO.
    Anton Muller

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens.

2020 X3 M40i
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    Another kid in F1 with a billionaire father. He has shown some flashes of brilliance but is not one of the top F2 drivers IMHO.
    You are correct, there is a lot of money involved. I think it has to do with sponsoring etc. for Haas.

I mentioned in the 2020 thread, F1 has become a playground for businessmen, not good drivers anymore.
    Sent from my iPhone

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebel 4x4 For This Useful Post:

You are correct, there is a lot of money involved. I think it has to do with sponsoring etc. for Haas.

I mentioned in the 2020 thread, F1 has become a playground for businessmen, not good drivers anymore.
    Pay drivers have a long history in F1

But lets be honest, nobody gets into racing that dont have some money in the family (forget lewis's rags to riches PR story - yes his dad wasn't rich but they weren't poor either). Karting is expensive so without the basic finances you simply will net get a chance to even show what you are capable of. We potentially have a thousand Senna's in Sao Paulo that will never get the chance to get onto a race track.

So even the big pool of drivers we have in the various top international series are all coming from guessing the top 5% (probably less) of the world population as it is.
    Anton Muller

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens.

2020 X3 M40i
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Pay drivers have a long history in F1

But lets be honest, nobody gets into racing that dont have some money in the family (forget lewis's rags to riches PR story - yes his dad wasn't rich but they weren't poor either). Karting is expensive so without the basic finances you simply will net get a chance to even show what you are capable of. We potentially have a thousand Senna's in Sao Paulo that will never get the chance to get onto a race track.

So even the big pool of drivers we have in the various top international series are all coming from guessing the top 5% (probably less) of the world population as it is.
    Agree to an extend. There is a difference though in having the money to support a potential driver through karting, F3, F2 etc until he proves good enough to race in F1 and just buying a seat in F1.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Thread for 2021 already - time flies.

In that case then - well done Sir Lewis on an eight title.
    Jaco Nell

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

It is a matter of time until the Haas team will be renamed as URALKALI, clearly Mazepin Sen. has a say from now on.

I also guess that Ferrari must up their game if they will stay as engine suppliers to this team. But this projection is more for 2022
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Default F1 - 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Agree to an extend. There is a difference though in having the money to support a potential driver through karting, F3, F2 etc until he proves good enough to race in F1 and just buying a seat in F1.
    This reminds me of another F3 driver I follow. She is Sophia Floersch. You might recall her stunt (flying accident) a few years back in F3 (she was 17 or 18 at that stage).

She is very vocal about the fees (or costs) involved to be in F3 and F2. As mentioned by another member, you might have a lot of Senna’s in Sau Paulo but because of their financial background they can’t afford a seat.

Hopefully this sort of thing will be addressed in the future to allow more diversity in this regard.
    Last edited by Rebel 4x4; 2020/12/01 at 12:13 PM.
    Sent from my iPhone

Haas did mention they are willing to back youngsters with cash
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

André Opperman

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    Haas did mention they are willing to back youngsters with cash

Well, if it is what it is, then Mazepin has more or less bought the Haas outfit, similar to Lawrence Stroll when the other team was still Force India.

It does not mean 100% ownership but a good portion to have the say.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Is that not true for all sports?
    Discovery Landrover 3 tdv6 2008
    Volvo S40 T5 2006

They need to throw the net open and stop only using F2 and F3 as feeders to F1!!!
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    They need to throw the net open and stop only using F2 and F3 as feeders to F1!!!
    Only drivers with sufficient Super License points can drive F1 and currently those are F2 drivers and the reserve drivers for the teams. I heard over the weekend (or was it during free practice) that those drivers in Nascar etc would also like to be in contention for the required Super License points so that they can also have a shot at F1 seats.

I just wonder how a driver, used to going left all the time, will handle a F1 car in right turns
    2016 Ford Ranger XL DC 4x4 - Die kar agter die donkie
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton DC 4x2 - Sold

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacques_Nel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques_Nel View Post
    Only drivers with sufficient Super License points can drive F1 and currently those are F2 drivers and the reserve drivers for the teams. I heard over the weekend (or was it during free practice) that those drivers in Nascar etc would also like to be in contention for the required Super License points so that they can also have a shot at F1 seats.I just wonder how a driver, used to going left all the time, will handle a F1 car in right turns
    A mate of mine with a truck load of SA Championships tried Nascar and he said it is not as easy as everyone thinks it is !!!easy to be an armchair critic in this racing game

19. The Following User Says Thank You to FJGrant For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FJGrant View Post
    A mate of mine with a truck load of SA Championships tried Nascar and he said it is not as easy as everyone thinks it is !!!easy to be an armchair critic in this racing game
    No malice or disrespect intended with my comment, it was all tongue in cheek while hearing Jeff Dunham's Bubba saying "he is making another left turn"
    2016 Ford Ranger XL DC 4x4 - Die kar agter die donkie
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton DC 4x2 - Sold

Last edited by Shorty.; 2020/12/01 at 04:14 PM.

This is in 2020.

Lets keep this thread for 2021 news
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

André Opperman

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    This is in 2020.

Lets keep this thread for 2021 news

Apologies! only see now that its the 2021 thread

F1 2021 has just become better. Looking forward to this showcase!

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...e91lvWVwJ.html
    Sent from my iPhone

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebel 4x4 For This Useful Post:

This more describes him .....

"Generally extreme entitlement devolving into being a douche. He's a chaotic Russian version of Stroll.

Off the top of my head: Race ban in F3 for punching / assaulting Illot; threatening to "out" Russell during Nurburging weekend; threw a hissy fit @ spa when he got a time penalty and managed to launch the marker board almost into a passer by; rumours of e-harrassing women; He's been known to be a fucking dick on team radio... combine Hamilton's 'whineyness' with Max's blue streak / bluntness, and multiply 2x."

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Howie-WP For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 360 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 26 51 101 251 ... LastLast