F1 - 2021 - Page 422

Page 422 of 491 FirstFirst ... 172 322 372 397 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 447 472 ... LastLast
Results 8,421 to 8,440 of 9809

Thread: F1 - 2021

Default Re: F1 - 2021

Provisionally looks like Bottas needs an other new engine. During the last race there seem to have been many engine related problems (Steering wheel warnings and radio messages)
    Jouko
    ----------
    2015 Grand Cherokee Summit Petrol
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

The new F1 legality test after Red Bull's Mercedes complaints

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajyao00MQgM
    2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD

I'm not up to date with rules and technical things but can't RB "simply" copy the MB flex suspension? I realise it is not as easy as that but would it be legal?
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Sold)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gazza1210 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gazza1210 View Post
    I'm not up to date with rules and technical things but can't RB "simply" copy the MB flex suspension? I realise it is not as easy as that but would it be legal?
    Nope. Not that easy.

Legalities / timeframes / tokens / high-rake v low-rake etc, etc.

Basically impossible without designing an almost new car.
    Jaco Nell

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    Nope. Not that easy.

Legalities / timeframes / tokens / high-rake v low-rake etc, etc.

Basically impossible without designing an almost new car.
    Yeah on reflection it would be a mammoth task! I couldn't listen to the video at work so only watched the pictures (kinda enjoy having a job to go to ). I suppose it's more than just that little bit of flexible stuff near the back wheel.
    Gary
    2005 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 4x4 (SOLD)
    2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VXI (It's complicated)
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLX LWB (Sold)

4x4 Action Group GP0114

What would you do if you knew you could not fail

Quote Originally Posted by Mapog View Post
    In that case, where did LH took his 10 place penalty?
    Since he got the 5place in Brazil?
    He took it prior to Brazil.
    Sent from my iPhone

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebel 4x4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    He took it prior to Brazil.
    Hamilton took a 10-place grid penalty for a new ICE in Turkey

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie-WP For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NvD42 View Post
    I don't post on the thread - normally - but just feel I have to share just a quick sentence to make you jelly

I will attend the Abu Dhabi GP

I truly hope to see MV win the title and the race - even ordered a Max 33 mask to wear on the day.

Cheers

Nico
    Enjoy it was a blast for me seeing them live again.
    2019 Ford Ranger
    2006 KTM 950 Adv

All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
    Winston Churchill

2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orxy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Howie-WP View Post
    Hamilton took a 10-place grid penalty for a new ICE in Turkey
    Correct
    Sent from my iPhone

I have seen some of these technical discussions on the rear wing and Merc speed. One what I have not seen is what is the impact of the rear dropping on the ACTUAL open gap in the rear wing. When the rear drops the opening effective area may change. If somebody has seen discussion on this point please post.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    I have seen some of these technical discussions on the rear wing and Merc speed. One what I have not seen is what is the impact of the rear dropping on the ACTUAL open gap in the rear wing. When the rear drops the opening effective area may change. If somebody has seen discussion on this point please post.
    Dropping the rear on a stiff F1 suspension is minimal, but then every fraction of a percent helps in this game. Offhand, I would not have thought that this would be enough of an advantage. But then, F1 is the cutting edge of technology, and much of the developments here eventually translate into production vehicles.

The aerodynamists in F1 are top notch. When I was still working at Atlas Aircraft, one of these in the design sector came from McLaren, very talented and knowledgeable.
    Last edited by mikeml; 2021/11/26 at 10:51 PM.
    Mike Lauterbach

I only saw talk on the dropping of the rear suspension stalling the rear wing, thus reducing it's drag resulting in more speed. No confirmation and how this actually works (in relation to the bigger gap, if any) Thing is, until it can be seen in action, it is a shot in the dark. Redbull is trying to get a "free protest" by trying to create "noise" around what they think is the cause is, and getting the FIA to investigate. This often happens in racing when the aggrieved party is not 100% sure of their case in terms of putting in an official protest.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Howie-WP For This Useful Post:

Drop of the rear suspension is removing the "vacuum" under the car and not stalling the rear wing (as I understand). To explain what I mean: Think of vertical blinds. You can adjust the angle they are set at BUT bending the knees you get bigger or smaller gap to see through without changing the setting of the blinds. That drop of the rear changes the angle of the rear wing compared to the direction of the car travelling. Wind resistance is speed squared, e.g. speed^2. Area is squared 1. Reduce the resistance area and having the engine power constant results in big benefit on straight line speed.

How that removal of the "vacuum" under the car impact the speed I am still trying to understand in full. I will get there. (I am mechanical/metallurgical engineer and not aerodynamics)

All of this is a force balance. Engine is giving force forward and wind plus what ever is backwards. Force is a vector and that means vector maths. In corners there are force vectors in 3 dimensions. On straights only in two. (Excluding 4th and what ever dimensions we do not know)
    Jouko
    ----------
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Some more info on the history of engine grid penalties.
    https://www.news24.com/wheels/formul...honda-20211126
    Toyota Hilux 1990, D/C, SFA, 4x4
    Jeep Cherokee, 3.7L, 4x4

Drop of the rear suspension is removing the "vacuum" under the car and not stalling the rear wing (as I understand). To explain what I mean: Think of vertical blinds. You can adjust the angle they are set at BUT bending the knees you get bigger or smaller gap to see through without changing the setting of the blinds. That drop of the rear changes the angle of the rear wing compared to the direction of the car travelling. Wind resistance is speed squared, e.g. speed^2. Area is squared 1. Reduce the resistance area and having the engine power constant results in big benefit on straight line speed.

How that removal of the "vacuum" under the car impact the speed I am still trying to understand in full. I will get there. (I am mechanical/metallurgical engineer and not aerodynamics)

All of this is a force balance. Engine is giving force forward and wind plus what ever is backwards. Force is a vector and that means vector maths. In corners there are force vectors in 3 dimensions. On straights only in two. (Excluding 4th and what ever dimensions we do not know)
    Now I finally understand why your posts are so clear and concise to me 👍😁
    2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD

24. The Following User Says Thank You to FatPlant For This Useful Post:

Scenes from the AR farewell to Kimi:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWwIUqJMaWi/
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Best explanation by far.I just think the vacuum bit is thrown in to distract everybody from the actual facts.

Take away allll the rules and let the best car and best man win!
    Same with rugby tooo much rules!
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    Afrispoor Serval

I like to think of drs like those part horns. Where you blow it makes a noise and opens up the rolled up tube. The harder you blow the wider it gets until maximum and with full effect. If you do not blow hard enough you get very little effect.

Could it be that with the drop the wing now points slightly upwards which then allows the air flow(majority of it) to go over and under with very little going through the center. So when drs is open, the load over the top and under wing changes and increases through the center. That mass force of air could of been the problem with failed wing.