Thread: Ml500 w164

Default Ml500 w164

I have a W164 ML 500 that from time to time gives me hassles with the air suspension.
    I would park the car for a day and then the Right rear end would go down, this happens randomly... I start the car and then it levels again.
    I have left it for 3 days the past weekend and it stayed level

I have tried to find patterns, for now it seems that it does it when in Sport mode, but not in comfort mode, but I still need to see if I'm right.

Anyone with similar experience?

Regards
    Hennie
    Toyota Legend 50
    Disclaimer: The views expressed by me in the above thread and replies are based on my personal experience and perceptions, which may be subjected to change from time to time.

Default Re: Ml500 w164

Hi Henry

I have it on my 320Cdi as well.
    One of the air springs are leaking. When the rubber gets to the specific position on the fold it leaks. That is why it sometimes stay inflated for a few days. It is all about the height,weight and level of the surface at that moment. Guaranteed the air springs.

Regards,
    Suid-Wes
    2006 Defender 110 Td5

This is very common, it is most probably a bellow that is starting to fail. I currently have the same thing on my GL you can buy an Arnott rear bellow new from Imcomex in Centurion for R4700 and have it fitted by your mech. I am currently on holiday so I had to make a temp plan, bought some bicycle tyre sealant and inserted half a bottle into the bellow - its only been one day so I am not sure if it actually stopped the leak.
    I am not at all concerned that the sealant will clog the pipes as it will never reach up there where the inlet is. This is temp solution only! and it is mostly to protect the compressor from over working I still need to do about 2000km before back home... I will let you know if it didnít work.

Francois

As stated it is the bellows and to be honest the rear ones are ridiculously easy to replace with basic tools. Don't allow the situation to continue for too long. The compressor is expensive and an absolute bitch to replace.

BTW, I just replaced the second bellows on the right front of my own ML 500. They seem to last about 5 to 6 years.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    As stated it is the bellows and to be honest the rear ones are ridiculously easy to replace with basic tools. Don't allow the situation to continue for too long. The compressor is expensive and an absolute bitch to replace.

BTW, I just replaced the second bellows on the right front of my own ML 500. They seem to last about 5 to 6 years.
    Good day.
    my Ml500 2007 with 109k km also has a problem right front shock going down when parked.
    How difficult is it to replace bellows. Cost of bellows still about R4700 ?
    regards
    Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Nel View Post
    Good day.
    my Ml500 2007 with 109k km also has a problem right front shock going down when parked.
    How difficult is it to replace bellows. Cost of bellows still about R4700 ?
    regards
    Hans
    Hello Hans,

If you have a good mechanical knowledge and toolset the first one you replace will take about an hour and a half. The special tools are included in the replacement bellows set.

The last time I was quoted on replacement bellows it was around R7 000.00 for a front unit. This is for the Arnott Industries brand. You can get much cheaper chinese bellows and struts but I wouldn't buy these, the suspension on a vehicle is a critical safety element.

Please make sure the strut is not leaking oil as this will destroy the bellows within a year. If it is leaking you can get proper OEM Bilstein struts complete with bellows from Goldwagen for about R18k each(They price R24k at Mercedes Benz) with the added bonus that they are rebuildable.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    Hello Hans,

If you have a good mechanical knowledge and toolset the first one you replace will take about an hour and a half. The special tools are included in the replacement bellows set.

The last time I was quoted on replacement bellows it was around R7 000.00 for a front unit. This is for the Arnott Industries brand. You can get much cheaper chinese bellows and struts but I wouldn't buy these, the suspension on a vehicle is a critical safety element.

Please make sure the strut is not leaking oil as this will destroy the bellows within a year. If it is leaking you can get proper OEM Bilstein struts complete with bellows from Goldwagen for about R18k each(They price R24k at Mercedes Benz) with the added bonus that they are rebuildable.
    i got replacement bellows from Mercman and All merc spares.

the tricky part was to get the top part of the shock and bellows loose and secured.

took me about 1.5 hours.
    youtube is your friend...
    Last edited by Smiles; 2021/01/13 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Submitted without typong reply
    Hennie
    Toyota Legend 50
    Disclaimer: The views expressed by me in the above thread and replies are based on my personal experience and perceptions, which may be subjected to change from time to time.