Bush Lapa Service

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bush Lapa Service

I bought a 2019 Boskriek and had to book it for its first services what I understand once a year or 5000Km. My Boskriek has less than 500km and spending 350k+ I thought that my first service was for free as when you will buy a new or Demo car. I was informed that I have to pay for this service and on top of that, all new Bush Lapas will be serviced twice a year. The bill for this service was 2K+. Now I wonder for what did I pay that money, tightening bolts and check bearings?. My BMW 1200 motorbike service cost less with filters and oil replaced. I am really peed off on this and yes I did discuss this with BL, and got the "dis nou maar soos dit is".

Default Re: Bush Lapa Service

FIL has Bushwakka. Same thing, pay for service and once a year. I fully understand the need for service. In order for them to honor the warantee. The fee and what they do is what would deem it to be worthwile or ripp off. Get a checklist from them as to what they do for R2k.

Have also heard of Jurgens Swing being serviced at Cara Camp in Strand/Somerset West.

labor is +- R600 per hour at shops now a days.. BL is also a luxury item knowing people can afford it..

like they said.. is what it is unfortunately..
    D90
    D130

R2k! Where do they hide the enjine,gearbox,ecu........?

And what does their warranty include/cover?
    Last edited by Luka; 2020/11/30 at 12:57 PM.
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

As above Geertsema

Quote Originally Posted by DieselDonkie View Post
    I bought a 2019 Boskriek and had to book it for its first services what I understand once a year or 5000Km. My Boskriek has less than 500km and spending 350k+ I thought that my first service was for free as when you will buy a new or Demo car. I was informed that I have to pay for this service and on top of that, all new Bush Lapas will be serviced twice a year. The bill for this service was 2K+. Now I wonder for what did I pay that money, tightening bolts and check bearings?. My BMW 1200 motorbike service cost less with filters and oil replaced. I am really peed off on this and yes I did discuss this with BL, and got the "dis nou maar soos dit is".
    I know nothing about 2 services a year on my 2020. I was not informed about this. As for servicing, I will do this myself as it is not rocket science. Very simple to do. Before a trip in any case, check all bolts, wheel nuts etc. I do this as a matter of course. The only serviceable items are wheel bearings in any case.

You also dont get a free first service on cars anymore unless you have a service or maintenance plan which most cars do have...but you pay for this plan.
    Bruce Hunter. 2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Hi Bruce

talk to Martin it was confirmed by him.

Yes I spoke to Martin, not about the twice a year story, but paying R1850 ex vat+ to see if something is wrong, and to apply some ghries, bearings amount to R900 for both, and the account goes to2750..

So quite sure a normal trailer place can do that for much less.. Or maybe not..

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Triton Clubcab 2x4 2.5 DID
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptein Jack View Post
    Yes I spoke to Martin, not about the twice a year story, but paying R1850 ex vat+ to see if something is wrong, and to apply some ghries, bearings amount to R900 for both, and the account goes to2750..

So quite sure a normal trailer place can do that for much less.. Or maybe not..
    But then again the question of what the warranty entails?
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

As above Geertsema

To run a service/maintanance business for a upper class product is not cheap. Cost of personnel, labor and proper buildings are huge. That is the way it is.......
    Ps 16:5

Learn to service and fix everything on your caravan yourself.

The factory is very, very far away when a suspension bolt snaps in Moremi. True story. Got the t-shirt.

Besides I trust no-one except my husband to touch bearings. No offense.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2020/11/30 at 06:45 PM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Learn to service and fix everything on your caravan yourself.

The factory is very, very far away when a suspension bolt snaps in Moremi. True story. Got the t-shirt.

Besides I trust no-one except my husband to touch bearings. No offense.
    For that scenario I have full kit bearings and bolts. Bottom line is I have no problem with making money I have a huge issue with getting ripped off, and I am sure that on a Bike or trailer you don't use the same level of skill. My 2c

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DieselDonkie For This Useful Post:

First off, nothing is free or cheap at BL. Is the need for 2 services at them, or an agent, specified in the documents you received as possibly affecting the warranty? If not, words are nothing. It does sound dodgy to force someone to service twice a year. Sounds like a post Covid cash generation strategy.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

... Bottom line is I have no problem with making money I have a huge issue with getting ripped off,
    Well most businesses like making money, that is why they are in business

I am not saying you should get ripped off. And we can reason in circles for the next year. Bottom line is that if you find the BL price for a service a rip off, you need to find another way to service your van. Or accept BL's rate if the warranty is such a major issue for you. They are not going to adjust their service rates.

BTW, I also think R2000 + is a lot for a service on a caravan, but we have paid more the one and only time it for to BL for a 'proper' service. A service twice a year is a bit silly unless a van does 10 000 km or more per year and in tough off road conditions.

I think somebody else asked as well, what exactly does the warranty cover? How long is the warranty?
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2020/12/01 at 07:27 AM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

18. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

The twice a year service is noted in the Owners Manual which does seem excessive. It was never mentioned when I took delivery.

Martin also conveyed something interesting to me. It is not only about how many kilometers you are doing that determines when to service the van but also how often it is used. If the van just sits without being used - think Covid lockdown levels 4 and 5 - the grease applied to the bearings can fall off - sounds incredible but thatís what he said. The wheels need to turn to ensure that this doesnít happen. Apparently 2 months is still fine but not longer. A short trip will do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    First off, nothing is free or cheap at BL. Is the need for 2 services at them, or an agent, specified in the documents you received as possibly affecting the warranty? If not, words are nothing. It does sound dodgy to force someone to service twice a year. Sounds like a post Covid cash generation strategy.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 AT - Shadowfax
    Bush Lapa - iKewer - Dogmatix

Warranty is 5 years

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Triton Clubcab 2x4 2.5 DID
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

100% what he said thanks Voyageur. So my question is, on this forum when you search Trailer bearings there are guys that had bearings in Trailers for 22 years, not saying this is the correct thing to do. So n spoke to a mechanical engineer on this topic and he was amazed at what I said to him. Car bearings last for 1000's of KM. Lift up the BL and turn the wheel 180 degrees. If the issue is that the BL is standing a lot then a full-service cant be expected.

100% what he said thanks Voyageur. So my question is, on this forum when you search Trailer bearings there are guys that had bearings in Trailers for 22 years, not saying this is the correct thing to do. So n spoke to a mechanical engineer on this topic and he was amazed at what I said to him. Car bearings last for 1000's of KM. Lift up the BL and turn the wheel 180 degrees. If the issue is that the BL is standing a lot then a full-service cant be expected.
    Ok, so a bearing grease service,check all nuts and bolts, geyser once a year etc @ R2k. Fine then. So if your bearings fail and you lose a wheel while travelling and incur damage, does the warranty cover your losses? Apart from build quality, run-in brake and maybe geyeser functionality, what else can be covered under warranty? If I service the BL myself what are the warranty issues I might have?

As above Geertsema

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Ok, so a bearing grease service,check all nuts and bolts, geyser once a year etc @ R2k. Fine then. So if your bearings fail and you lose a wheel while travelling and incur damage, does the warranty cover your losses? Apart from build quality, run-in brake and maybe geyeser functionality, what else can be covered under warranty? If I service the BL myself what are the warranty issues I might have?
    It's possibly a fear tactic - unless we service, you take the risk of us denying any warranty claims, whatever it might be. Warranty is usually on the items they manufactured in their factory, given fair use.

I must however admit, BL have been very generous with warranty "claims", and in some cases even on vans out of warranty. They do stand by their product.
    Last edited by George; 2020/12/01 at 11:29 AM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

I cannot understand why it is required to service caravan bearings so often !!

I bought my Miskruier in Feb 2015.
    Botswana at 7K.
    At the 10K service at BL Pretoria, the left bearing was blue (over heat?) and BL replaced it at my cost.
    Kgalagadi at 14K.
    At the 20K service at BL Pretoria, the left bearing had huge grooves in the rollers, and BL replaced it at my cost.

I then discovered the bearings were apparently manufactured in Romania - no manufacturer??
    I, with the help of a friend, replaced both bearings with Timken bearings.
    Namibia at 28K.
    Inspected bearings at 40K.
    Now sitting at 45K, and no problems.

Original bearing quality ??
    Herman Meyer.
    2014 Amarok DC 4Motion Auto ,
    2015-02-03: Bush Lapa Miskewer 394.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to hermanm10 For This Useful Post:

also went the Timken route

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast