300tdi waterpump replacement in bush

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default 300tdi waterpump replacement in bush

Guys i need your help pls!!

we are stuck in the bush with a broken down waterpump in Tsavo west national park. I have managed to order the part and have it delivered tomorrow. In the meantime i have started dismantling all the parts to get to the waterpump. The pulley for the waterpump came of easy, pulley for the powersteering is giving me huge problems.1 Came out the other 2 are rounded. room is very limited so cant get there with a drill. Any suggestions getting rounded bolts out? I dont have irwin bolt removal tools unfortunately!!

The ps pulley is blocking one bolt of the waterpump, one of the long ones 120mm which is anchored in the block. One workaround is cutting that bolt off and removing and fitting the new wpump without that bolt...is that an option?
    thanks for any advice!

Default Re: 300tdi waterpump replacement in bush

This advice must be used with caution:
    Weld a nut onto the bolt head.
    Take it slow and keep everything as cool as possible.
    Do not cool with water as this might make the weld too hard and it will break off again.

I suggest you do a tack and leave it, when it's cool, do another tack.
    If you apply too much heat it will destroy the seal.

If you don't want to go this route, I suggest you cut off the bolt head.
    The threaded part should come out easy after that.

But as mentioned above keep it cool.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

I assume you have tried but can you not get to the power steering pump bolts to take whole power steering pump out ?

You may need to take the belt tensioner and alternator off

But having the water pump not securely bolted in place will lead to a water leak and replacing water every now and then on a hot motor wouldnt be my option

I would get another power steering pump flown in with new bolts for the pulley and rather punch those heads off that are rounded

You might also find a shorter belt to compensate for no power steering pulley ?

Good luck

jfh

My understanding isnt that a bolt holding the water pump in place is giving the issue it is that one of the bolts needs the power steering pulley removed so it can slide out

I could be missing the whole point though
    Last edited by RossJ; 2020/11/30 at 11:55 AM.

There is also a member called
    2.8i rocks
    who is in that same park / area

I think he is a landy nut so might be able to help

Quote Originally Posted by alspal View Post
    Guys i need your help pls!!

we are stuck in the bush with a broken down waterpump in Tsavo west national park. I have managed to order the part and have it delivered tomorrow. In the meantime i have started dismantling all the parts to get to the waterpump. The pulley for the waterpump came of easy, pulley for the powersteering is giving me huge problems.1 Came out the other 2 are rounded. room is very limited so cant get there with a drill. Any suggestions getting rounded bolts out? I dont have irwin bolt removal tools unfortunately!!

The ps pulley is blocking one bolt of the waterpump, one of the long ones 120mm which is anchored in the block. One workaround is cutting that bolt off and removing and fitting the new wpump without that bolt...is that an option?
    thanks for any advice!

You will need to use all the bolts. The pump might start leaking.
    Remove the Ps pulley. Not sure, but maybe the loose direction is clockwise as on the crank. You can the use a chisel to hammer the rounded bolt heads loose. Done that many times.

Regards,
    Suid-Wes.
    2006 Defender 110 Td5

Yes, on the 300 Tdi you need to remove the power steering pulley to fully remove the water pump. I agree that if there is money to spare, get a new power steering pump and pulley.

If not, grind the heads off, once the power steering pulley is off, the chances are a vice grip will turn out the remaining piece of the bolt. If not, take off the power steering pump and deal with it off the vehicle.

Invest in a VERY good 6 point 10mm socket on a 1/2 inch drive. Many of the ones you get in socket sets are combination sockets that round these heads. From experience like yours.

Good luck with all of this and I hope you will be swiftly on your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Suid-Wes View Post
    You will need to use all the bolts. The pump might start leaking.
    Remove the Ps pulley. Not sure, but maybe the loose direction is clockwise as on the crank. You can the use a chisel to hammer the rounded bolt heads loose. Done that many times.

Regards,
    Suid-Wes.
    The loose direction is confirmed anticlockwise.

Antz

Didnt you at one stage know what belt to get if the power steering pump / pulley was removed ?

Yeeeeeeeeahe!!! Got the remaining 2 bolts out with the 6side #10 socket. Previously couldnt get in there due to fan and fanhousing, removed those for access. Got the waterpump off now fully and found the issue, the wpumo bearing has gone. New part incl. gasket on the way.

Anyone has tips on completely removing the old paper like gasket without scratching the surface? I have some fine sandpaper and screwdriver/scraper...how clean does it have to be?
    also when fitting the new gasket should i first apply some siliconepaste/hylomar to both sides?

Btw.. with bush i meant no electricity, no grinder, no welding facility, no workshop. By ourselfs with „some“ tools.

cheers guys! Thanks for the help!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to alspal For This Useful Post:

DJR

Good news

I used Stanley knife blades and fine sandpaper in the past - too me must be super clean

Got a tip from another forum member re gasket

No goo or other stuff
    Soak in hot water for an hour before fitting

Ok no goo! and thanks for the hot water tip!

Do you think i can use a brake cleaner spray on the old gasket...nigrin brake cleaner? To help removing it?

I can rember using electro cleaner to aid getting the old gasket gunk off

What I do remember was using a serrated kitchen knife to break up the stuff more

dont let the gunk get into the motor

put a rag or something in its mouth

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RossJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RossJ View Post
    Antz

Didnt you at one stage know what belt to get if the power steering pump / pulley was removed ?
    Unfortunately only for removing the alternator. Need to do the same measurement for PS pump.

Quote Originally Posted by alspal View Post
    Yeeeeeeeeahe!!! Got the remaining 2 bolts out with the 6side #10 socket. Previously couldnt get in there due to fan and fanhousing, removed those for access. Got the waterpump off now fully and found the issue, the wpumo bearing has gone. New part incl. gasket on the way.

Anyone has tips on completely removing the old paper like gasket without scratching the surface? I have some fine sandpaper and screwdriver/scraper...how clean does it have to be?
    also when fitting the new gasket should i first apply some siliconepaste/hylomar to both sides?

Btw.. with bush i meant no electricity, no grinder, no welding facility, no workshop. By ourselfs with „some“ tools.

cheers guys! Thanks for the help!!!
    Great to hear.
    I always put a few welding rods in my kit when I go of the beaten track.

With a few batteries, jumper cables and double sunglasses you can make emergency repairs.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jfh For This Useful Post:

Right

So did some investigation as to why an oak from Cape Town is swanning around in the game parks of Tanzania

Albert went to Djibouti to fetch his defender 90 and is driving it home to SA - he asked some questions here

So he has luck on his side
    Just missed all the war stuff in Ethiopia - right near that border post to jubuti

Clearly he has deviated from the straight path home but hey - while in Rome

Right
    So did some investigation as to why an oak from Cape Town is swanning around in the game parks of Tanzania
    Albert went to Djibouti to fetch his defender 90 and is driving it home to SA - he asked some questions here
    Just missed all the war stuff in Ethiopia - right near that border post to jubuti
    Ross, don't want to nitpick, but your geography is a bit wonky. Tsavo West is in Kenya, not Tanzania. 2.8 Rocks is in Ruaha in southern/central Tanzania. The war in Ethiopia is in Tigray, which is a helluva long way from Djibouti.
    Lesson over.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

oops

time for more coffee and less whisky

Right

Clearly he has deviated from the straight path home but hey - while in Rome
    Morning Ross,

yes thats me. We made it through Djibouti, Ethiopia and currently in Kenya. Ethiopia i thoroughly enjoyed up to the point where they didnt want to stamp us out at omerate border post... 5 days later and a letter from the SA ambassador to Ethiopia eventually got us over the border.

Our aged defender is coming up with all sorts if surprises. Up till now on our trip i have replaced the thermostat, Expansion tank cap, y-joint going into expansion tank and now the water pump, belt tensioner, sepentine belt. Defender has 17000km on has however been standing for past ~20years. What spares should i stock up on the next chance i get?...realisticly

thanks for any advice!

There should be some good Landy mechanics in Kenya that will be able to go through the Landy with you and change out what needs changing, and give it a good service for your next stint of your trip
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

Alspal

Considering everything seems to be water related I would get hold of some welsh plugs

Not sure if they all the same size - I really hope I am wrong on this one though

Then some radiator leak stop - not nice to use but better than nothing

At 160 k that landy isnt even run in yet
    Mine has 800 k on

When you get back to sa consider a madman kit - saved my butt many a time

Otherwise kyk suid en gaan aan - Enjoy

24. The Following User Says Thank You to RossJ For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast