Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    JHB
    Posts
    33
    Thanked: 4

    Default Completely and utterly out of space!

    I have an Isuzu bakkie with fiberglass canopy.
    It's full!

    I take young guys from the ages of 12-16 to do guy stuff; camping, fishing, shooting guns, hiking, using 2-way radios, etc etc. The problem is I'm out of space.
    My bakkie is completely packed to cater for these trips which we do once a month or so.

    I'm looking for suggestions on mounting my gas bottle and water to the canopy. The down side is that I have a solar panel on it already which powers the onboard battery for the fridge etc, so not much real estate up there to start with.

    Any ideas?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7904.JPG 
Views:	413 
Size:	296.5 KB 
ID:	597432 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7905.JPG 
Views:	344 
Size:	217.4 KB 
ID:	597433

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Randburg
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,942
    Thanked: 514

    Default Re: Completely and utterly out of space!

    Maybe it's time for a small trailer?
    Regards,

    William

    4x4 'Tuna

    Quote Originally Posted by Murray Walker
    “I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.”

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    JHB
    Posts
    33
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Completely and utterly out of space!

    Quote Originally Posted by willben View Post
    Maybe it's time for a small trailer?
    I hear you. I just don't have the space for a trailer at this point in time.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Henties
    Posts
    3,763
    Thanked: 1314

    Default Re: Completely and utterly out of space!

    I think putting a load onto any glas fibre canopy requires a lot of strengthening of the canopy.
    An aluminium canopy is made to carry a load.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    58
    Posts
    373
    Thanked: 540

    Default Re: Completely and utterly out of space!

    Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    I think putting a load onto any glas fibre canopy requires a lot of strengthening of the canopy.
    An aluminium canopy is made to carry a load.
    Agree. Besides, putting heavy articles high up messes with the handling.

    I would manufacture two swing-out brackets attached to the rear bumper, one for the gas bottle, one for the water, so the these will be located against the tailgate, behind the vehicle. You can swing them out of the way when you want to let the tailgate down.
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2020/11/29 at 01:21 PM.
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,325
    Thanked: 4609

    Default Re: Completely and utterly out of space!

    Rule 1 for packing: Pack what you want
    Rule 2 for packing: Take out every 2nd item

    Train at the same time to live minimalistic.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:


  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    JHB
    Posts
    33
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Completely and utterly out of space!

    Quote Originally Posted by ghouwens View Post
    Agree. Besides, putting heavy articles high up messes with the handling.

    I would manufacture two swing-out brackets attached to the rear bumper, one for the gas bottle, one for the water, so the these will be located against the tailgate, behind the vehicle. You can swing them out of the way when you want to let the tailgate down.

    Thanks ghowens!!!
    That's brilliant! Exactly the the kind of idea I'm looking for.
    Thank so much for the idea.
    Last edited by MAG69; 2020/11/29 at 02:01 PM.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    44
    Posts
    759
    Thanked: 233

    Default Re: Completely and utterly out of space!

    Quote Originally Posted by MAG69 View Post
    I hear you. I just don't have the space for a trailer at this point in time.
    You get a aftermarket bracket to park a small trailer vertically to save space.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpeg 
Views:	185 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	597439
    2014 Nissan Navara 2.5 4x2
    1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 4x4

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to staalwol For This Useful Post:


  11. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Henties
    Posts
    3,763
    Thanked: 1314

    Default Re: Completely and utterly out of space!

    Quote Originally Posted by ghouwens View Post
    Agree. Besides, putting heavy articles high up messes with the handling.

    I would manufacture two swing-out brackets attached to the rear bumper, one for the gas bottle, one for the water, so the these will be located against the tailgate, behind the vehicle. You can swing them out of the way when you want to let the tailgate down.
    Good idea.
    Just keep in mind that any weight you put that far back exerts quite a momentum on the chassis. The gas bottle shouldn't be a problem, but a decent amount of water might put a lot of strain on the chassis.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    JHB
    Posts
    33
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Completely and utterly out of space!

    Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Good idea.
    Just keep in mind that any weight you put that far back exerts quite a momentum on the chassis. The gas bottle shouldn't be a problem, but a decent amount of water might put a lot of strain on the chassis.

    Will do. Max is about 30lt at a time so far.

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Henties
    Posts
    3,763
    Thanked: 1314

    Default Re: Completely and utterly out of space!

    Quote Originally Posted by MAG69 View Post
    Will do. Max is about 30lt at a time so far.
    That shouldn't be a problem. Anything that is within the limits of a trailer's hitch weight, 80 to 100 kg, should be ok.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Harties Boet
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,871
    Thanked: 1289

    Default Re: Completely and utterly out of space!

    Trailer.
    and when not in use store it at one of these storage facilities. Yes, there’s the extra cost, but it sounds like you (and the lads) would get a hell of a lot of use out of it, and therefore it’s worth it in my eyes.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 3.0 CRD

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,000
    Thanked: 1631

    Default Re: Completely and utterly out of space!

    Quote Originally Posted by staalwol View Post
    You get a aftermarket bracket to park a small trailer vertically to save space.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpeg 
Views:	185 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	597439
    That looks like something I could use, where does one get them from?
    Padraic Berry

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    44
    Posts
    759
    Thanked: 233

    Default Re: Completely and utterly out of space!

    Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    That looks like something I could use, where does one get them from?
    Venter sells one, or looks simple enough to make one as well
    http://www.ventertrailers.co.za/lugg...ale-27130.aspx
    2014 Nissan Navara 2.5 4x2
    1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 4x4

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,479
    Thanked: 1058

    Default Re: Completely and utterly out of space!

    For 30l or so of water, maybe look at the Frontrunner water bladder, it is 27l. You can for example store it in the footwell of the bakkie or somewhere in the back between other stuff. https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...lus-inner.html
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:


  19. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Age
    37
    Posts
    710
    Thanked: 495

    Default Re: Completely and utterly out of space!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    For 30l or so of water, maybe look at the Frontrunner water bladder, it is 27l. You can for example store it in the footwell of the bakkie or somewhere in the back between other stuff. https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...lus-inner.html
    Geez. For that price I will make space for a 25L plastic drum.
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2.5dCI 4x4
    2013 Nissan Xtrail 2.0dCi XE 2x4

  20. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,479
    Thanked: 1058

    Default Re: Completely and utterly out of space!

    Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    Geez. For that price I will make space for a 25L plastic drum.

    It's actually not that bad considering you buy this to save space, sorry don't know why it initially showed the Dollar price, it's R650. https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...lus-inner.html

    When last did you check the prices of plastic Addis jerry cans? Nothing's cheap anymore.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

  21. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Age
    37
    Posts
    710
    Thanked: 495

    Default Re: Completely and utterly out of space!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    It's actually not that bad considering you buy this to save space, sorry don't know why it initially showed the Dollar price, it's R650. https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...lus-inner.html

    When last did you check the prices of plastic Addis jerry cans? Nothing's cheap anymore.
    That's better.

    Do you still get those bags people hang off their bullbar like in the old days?
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2.5dCI 4x4
    2013 Nissan Xtrail 2.0dCi XE 2x4

  22. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    68
    Posts
    27
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Completely and utterly out of space!

    Ja mens noem dit 'n goiing watersak...groot geword daarmee.
    Lekker koue water in die warm Kalahari.

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B.F.Burger For This Useful Post:


  24. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    59
    Posts
    6,259
    Thanked: 2853

    Default Re: Completely and utterly out of space!

    My 2c for what it is worth.

    Get a footwell water tank for behind the front seats

    Change the cooking to a suitcase stove and smaller butane bottles.
    Stranger

    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

    2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •