Advice on which self inflating matress to buy - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Advice on which self inflating matress to buy

Quote Originally Posted by Steady View Post
    You can have 1. Cheap. 2. Strong. 3. Light.

Pick any two.

For strong and comfortable, Tentco.

For light, anyone of the others. So the question is where are you going and how are you planning to get the mattress there. If I'm going by car I take the Tentco. http://tentco.co.za/index.php/quick-...ss-10cm-detail

Attachment 597885

If I'm walking I take the Thermarest https://www.futurama.co.za/therm-a-r...waAhOzEALw_wcB

Attachment 597886
    I recently bought 2 of the Tentco self inflating mattresses. Put them on top of stretchers and had the most comfortable sleep camping in a long time!
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Saw this today. 2200.00 for a queen size bedClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210105_132728.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	601205Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210105_132736.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	601206

Interesting thread...I'm currently in a transition phase.

When i first started camping i got the tentco stretcher and fold up mattresses. So far i found that the least comfortable, and the stretchers are now sitting in my loft unused. Also the weight and las of setting up those stretchers was just not worth it. I have back issues so anything to reduce having to pickup and carry anything of real weight is something to think about.

Currently we are using the cheapy Intex blow up mattresses, and honestly im happy with them. Despite my back issues i did a month in Botswana and really had zero issues. The wife complains its not comfortable but it doesn't leave her with a sore back. We use 2x single mattresses, and i have a 3rd spare one. Im nervous of a queen incase something happens to it.

HOWEVER, there is a penalty in terms of setup time, pumping the things up and also using the pump to deflate them. But then they can be folded nice and small. I use a single ammo box to carry the 3x singles and the pump and still have some spare space to chuck in a few smaller odds and ends.

The cost, is also a bonus. If i have to throw one away every year it will take me years before i even get close to one of the more expensive self inflating mattresses. And currently my 3 have lasted 2 years and the one now has a slow leak and is my backup.

At the moment im considering a self inflating mattress, under the proviso that it could possible save me more space no need to carry a pump etc. Easier setup and packup. But i'm not 100% sure it will provide the same comfort. I think the intex are 25 or 30cm thick when inflated.

I also came across this brand, not sure if any of you have experience with them? I like the idea of the integrated pillow if it will allow me not to have to bring 2x pillows per person.

I'm also trying to source a proper comfortable air pillow....

Quote Originally Posted by AardvarkNV View Post
    Does anyone have/use this First Ascent Supreme?

https://www.firstascent.co.za/supreme-mattress
    Hi
    I use them, with or without stretcher, very happy with them, the extra width makes a difference. They take up a bit of room but are very light. Need to roll them up twice to get them back into the bag, but if you are on the trot just semi deflate and fold them on top of the other gear in the vehicle.

Default Advice on which self inflating matress to buy

We recently bought 2 x Large Carmaquips based on all the good reviews on this forum. They are well made and seem like they will last long.

That said, we took them camping for 3 weeks, sleeping straight on the tent floor and can honestly say we didnít find them very comfortable. After the second night we headed off to Dischem to buy one of those eggshell type mattress toppers. This made a huge difference, but now itís another big piece of camping kit that has to be transported.

I suspect it has a lot to do with how much you weigh. My wife and I both weigh around 65kg and I suspect buying the large/thicker Carmaquip was a mistake. Itís almost like we donít weigh enough to make a dent in the mattress. Like itís too firm. The smaller sizes may be more suitable for us.

My next buy will probably be the Tentcoís.
    Last edited by Sierra1X; 2021/01/06 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra1X View Post
    We recently bought 2 x Large Carmaquips based on all the good reviews on this forum. They are well made and seem like they will last long.

That said, we took them camping for 3 weeks, sleeping straight on the tent floor and can honestly say we didnít find them very comfortable. After the second night we headed off to Dischem to buy one of those eggshell type mattress toppers. This made a huge difference, but now itís another big piece of camping kit that has to be transported.

I suspect it has a lot to do with how much you weigh. My wife and I both weigh around 65kg and I suspect buying the large/thicker Carmaquip was a mistake. Itís almost like we donít weigh enough to make a dent in the mattress. Like itís too firm. The smaller sizes may be more suitable for us.

Hmmm...you got me thinking now. I'm no light weight, I had. Not heard of the carmaquip until now. But it's a pricey exercise if it's not comfortable.

Why would the tentco be better for you? Isn't it even thicker...

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Especially if you are a heavy bloke the 10 cm Tentco's will be better. I had 2 x 7cm Carmaquips. Bought 2 x Tentco's and ended up selling the Carmaquips.

10cm Tentco's without doubt better than the 7cm Carmaquips. Tentco material / surface also nicer to sleep on.
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Have you considered to not allowing them to fully inflate? Wouldn't that make them softer?
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Have you considered to not allowing them to fully inflate? Wouldn't that make them softer?
    Would have to test and see. Donít really have much control over the amount of inflating though. You sort of just pull the plug, let it stand for a while, and stick the plug back in. Iíve mailed the manufacturers for advice. Will see what they come back with.

I weighted in at a lovely 130kg at one stage. Sleeping on the Carmaquip self inflate with the plug in gave me a fantastic sleep on the ground as I have a L5 lower back problem. I also bought one of those 3 fold mattress from ODW. Must say I prefer my Carmaquip mattress as the air trapped in the cover also adds to it being more ridgit or harder. But each to their own.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Modulating the amount of air in them definitely affects the "hardness" and hence the comfort of self inflating mattresses. Open the air valve put some pressure on the mattress till some air is expelled then reclose, you might need to play around till you find the right air pressure. Basically you want your biggest pressure spot(typically your hip bone when lying on your side) to be just off from touching the ground.

Has anyone else had issues with First ascent self inflating stuff failing?

I have had the fabric pull off the valve on both a pillow and Dream deluxe mattress, a few years old so well out of warranty but otherwise not seen abuse or too much use, seems like some kind of glue or material failure.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2021/01/09 at 12:10 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Modulating the amount of air in them definitely affects the "hardness" and hence the comfort of self inflating mattresses. Open the air valve put some pressure on the mattress till some air is expelled then reclose, you might need to play around till you find the right air pressure. Basically you want your biggest pressure spot(typically your hip bone when lying on your side) to be just off from touching the ground.

Has anyone else had issues with First ascent self inflating stuff failing?

I have had the fabric pull off the valve on both a pillow and Dream deluxe mattress, a few years old so well out of warranty but otherwise not seen abuse or too much use, seems like some kind of glue or material failure.

No, my Dream Deluxe is still perfect, even though it's quite dirty and I can't seam to properly get it clean again. This is my own fault though since I don't use a sheet or anything on top of it, I think I even spilled beer on it at one stage.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    No, my Dream Deluxe is still perfect, even though it's quite dirty and I can't seam to properly get it clean again. This is my own fault though since I don't use a sheet or anything on top of it, I think I even spilled beer on it at one stage.
    Easy to clean, soapy water got mine spotless. But after my experiences I'm staying away from First ascent inflatable mattresses, though despite the durability issues the dream deluxe is comfortable and compact for what it offers.

Just a follow up on this previous post. I just got a call from the owner of Carmaquip. Nice guy, who had the following to say:

1. The "Large" is their firmest mattress by far, as it has the thickest foam panel inside. They recommend it for the heavy blokes - 100kg's plus. So we would have found the medium size more comfortable.
    2. The mattress should 'relax' over time with each roll, the same way that any density-foam type mattress gives way after some time.
    3. Trying to regulate the amount of air inside the mattress will make no difference as the design is completely different from a normal air mattress. He says we could essentially leave the plug out after unrolling the mattress.

So yah, that's that. For now we'll just stick the mattress topper on top and then eventually replace the Large's with Mediums. If someone wants to buy 2 basically brand new (used once) Large's at a bit of a discount, let me know. Then I can buy the Mediums. :-)

Aaah so I must have bought the fatty oke mattresses . No wonder I find mine comfortable at /was 130kg.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

19. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3