Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Advice on which self inflating matress to buy

I need advice on which self inflating mattress to buy. I need to purchase 4 for the family (2 young kids) so price is a constraint. Currently we are using the folding foam mattresses on stretchers, which is comfortable but take up a lot of space. The main motivation to purchase the self inflating mattresses is in order to save packing space. The self inflating mattresses will still be used on the stretchers. The goal is to get the most comfortable mattress at the best price. The challenge is that is not possible to view and test the different options available due to some of them only being available online. I do not want to buy something and regret it later.

I have narrowed the selection down to 4 options:
    • CARMA quip. Medium: R1295, Large R1445 + R150 delivery
    • First Ascent Dream Deluxe Camping Mattress. R1200 on black friday special (normally R1699)
    • Tentco Self Inflating Mattress 10cm. R999
    • Thermal Comfort Deluxe Mattress 7cm. R745

The Carmaquip is the most highly rated but is also the most expensive considering that delivery is added to the price. If budget was not an issue, I would buy this mattress but I think I will skip this one based on price.

The First Ascent Dream Deluxe looks good. The only concern I have is the integrated pillow. Will this get unconformable when used with a normal pillow?

The Tentco and Thermal Comfort Deluxe are more affordable but I have not heard of any feedback on these so I am not sure on the quality and how they compare to the more expensive options.

Is the first First Ascent Dream Deluxe worth the extra R200 over the Tentco?

Which would you recommend?

Thanks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyJimny For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Advice on which self inflating matress to buy

I have a First Ascent Dream Deluxe for around 4 years now and I'm very happy with it. I don't use it with a stretcher, so can only imagine that it will be even better when used with a stretcher.
    I'm a big guy, upwards of 125 kg and it gives me a comfortable nights sleep, just like that straight on to the tent floor.
    That integrated pillow isn't really much of a pillow though I have slept on it a couple of times before since I'm not fussy at all, but I have also used it with a normal full size pillow no problem.
    Just don't buy the First Ascent self inflating pillow, I thought it would be as awesome as the mattress but it's not, it's useless.

It also doesn't take up a lot of space, it rolls up to the same size as a sleeping bag only longer, like the width of the mattress. Oh and unlike most other camping things, it actually fits comfortably in to its bag when you pack it up.
    Last edited by bigboy529; 2020/11/28 at 12:23 PM.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

First ascent!
    Pieter Kemp.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pieterk For This Useful Post:

We've had and still have 2 thermal de lux matresses,, yes they've had a punture here and there, but sorted out chop chop. Sleeping on them is extremely comfortable.

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Triton Clubcab 2x4 2.5 DID
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaptein Jack For This Useful Post:

I can only comment on the First Ascent ones. We had them since 2011, in fact I took them out of storage this morning to roll up and pack in to take on our Kgalagadi trip in two week's time. I bumped into the thread as I'm seriously considering getting a third one!

The pillow never bothered us. We tend to sleep on the ground to limit what we pack but have used them on stretchers for the kids on occasion when everyone pitches at the farm at the same time and beds are at a premium.
    Wynand
    2005 Discovery 3 HSE v8
    2002 Discovery II XS v8 (sold)
    1974 Chev K 25 (julle dink 'n v8 is dors)
    Land Rover - making mechanics from motorists since 1947 and electronic engineers since 1989!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr Jones For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Jones View Post
    I can only comment on the First Ascent ones. We had them since 2011, in fact I took them out of storage this morning to roll up and pack in to take on our Kgalagadi trip in two week's time. I bumped into the thread as I'm seriously considering getting a third one!

The pillow never bothered us. We tend to sleep on the ground to limit what we pack but have used them on stretchers for the kids on occasion when everyone pitches at the farm at the same time and beds are at a premium.

I know it's better to store inflated, but I always forget to do this with mine so it's usually rolled up for months at a time until I remember to take it out.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

Thanks all for the feedback so far.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    I have a First Ascent Dream Deluxe for around 4 years now and I'm very happy with it. I don't use it with a stretcher, so can only imagine that it will be even better when used with a stretcher.
    I'm a big guy, upwards of 125 kg and it gives me a comfortable nights sleep, just like that straight on to the tent floor.
    That integrated pillow isn't really much of a pillow though I have slept on it a couple of times before since I'm not fussy at all, but I have also used it with a normal full size pillow no problem.
    Just don't buy the First Ascent self inflating pillow, I thought it would be as awesome as the mattress but it's not, it's useless.

It also doesn't take up a lot of space, it rolls up to the same size as a sleeping bag only longer, like the width of the mattress. Oh and unlike most other camping things, it actually fits comfortably in to its bag when you pack it up.
    Thanks. I actually have the First Ascent self inflating pillow which I use for hiking. It is great for hiking when you have to carry it on your back but I cannot imagine it being suitable for camping. For camping I take the pillow from my bed.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyJimny View Post
    I need advice on which self inflating mattress to buy. I need to purchase 4 for the family (2 young kids) so price is a constraint. Currently we are using the folding foam mattresses on stretchers, which is comfortable but take up a lot of space. The main motivation to purchase the self inflating mattresses is in order to save packing space. The self inflating mattresses will still be used on the stretchers. The goal is to get the most comfortable mattress at the best price. The challenge is that is not possible to view and test the different options available due to some of them only being available online. I do not want to buy something and regret it later.

I have narrowed the selection down to 4 options:
    • CARMA quip. Medium: R1295, Large R1445 + R150 delivery
    • First Ascent Dream Deluxe Camping Mattress. R1200 on black friday special (normally R1699)
    • Tentco Self Inflating Mattress 10cm. R999
    • Thermal Comfort Deluxe Mattress 7cm. R745

The Carmaquip is the most highly rated but is also the most expensive considering that delivery is added to the price. If budget was not an issue, I would buy this mattress but I think I will skip this one based on price.

The First Ascent Dream Deluxe looks good. The only concern I have is the integrated pillow. Will this get unconformable when used with a normal pillow?

The Tentco and Thermal Comfort Deluxe are more affordable but I have not heard of any feedback on these so I am not sure on the quality and how they compare to the more expensive options.

Is the first First Ascent Dream Deluxe worth the extra R200 over the Tentco?

Which would you recommend?

Thanks.
    Carma quip are exceptionally good. While expensive, these provide great comfort allowing for a good night's sleep.
    Mine serve me well, 32 consecutive nights of good rest while overlanding is what you need Plus SWAMBO happy as well!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnwfourie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johnwfourie View Post
    Carma quip are exceptionally good. While expensive, these provide great comfort allowing for a good night's sleep.
    Mine serve me well, 32 consecutive nights of good rest while overlanding is what you need Plus SWAMBO happy as well!
    Good night's rest is priceless..

I have the CARMAQUIP. Excellent piece of kit.

I used to use those blow up plastic bed's, but always had a slow puncture or I was maybe to heavy for those.

Hey there

Iíve got the first ascent mattress which has picked up a puncture at the corner join where the nozzle is, Iím assuming itís ďstress relatedĒ from movement of the nozzle through use, that caused the material to weaken over time.

Iíve also been on the lookout for another replacement mattress which Iíll need to do some time in the future.

Which has lead me to look at the tentco self inflating mattress. From what Iíve seen in the showroom it looks pretty good, I like that itís 10cm thick. I was also considering going for the tentco due to price.

I havenít tested it or had a lay on it to feel what itís like. Perhaps Iíll do that when I go past the next time.

It seems like you are quite keen on the Carma quip. If you settle and get something else you may still want the carmaquip down the line.

So why not get 2 carmaquips for you and the partner and then get 2 tentcoís for the kids?
    That should keep you within budged. The money you save with the tenco you could put towards the carmaquip mattress.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to delwynv For This Useful Post:

One more vote for carmaquip.
    Very happy with ours.
    Pieter

Especially if you are a heavy bloke the 10 cm Tentco's will be better. I had 2 x 7cm Carmaquips. Bought 2 x Tentco's and ended up selling the Carmaquips.

10cm Tentco's without doubt better than the 7cm Carmaquips. Tentco material / surface also nicer to sleep on.
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Especially if you are a heavy bloke the 10 cm Tentco's will be better. I had 2 x 7cm Carmaquips. Bought 2 x Tentco's and ended up selling the Carmaquips.

10cm Tentco's without doubt better than the 7cm Carmaquips. Tentco material / surface also nicer to sleep on.
    Thanks for the feedback on the Tentco's. It does not look like many people have experience with them.

I am tending towards getting the Tentco's. I plan to go to Tentco tomorrow and test them out and then make a decision.

The same suggestion pops up a number of times and also agrees with our experience.

This link: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...88#post3642088 has a review on a number of purchases we had to make for a Namibian trip in 2017, with feedback after the tour of whether it was the right choice.

Pg 4 for the matresses.
    If my post insulted you, wonder where the smiley went .

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

I have the Tentco mattress. Like most Tentco products its excellent quality at a good price. I cant compare to Carmaquip etc but no complaints from me

I bought two carmaquip mattresses, they have a water proof covering and a bung to keep air in ie when rolled out the compressed foam sucks in the air, making for a better mattress. Due to Christmas and out of stock, I had to buy two foldable mattresses from ODW. They are good but not as good as my carmaquip. Unfortunately I did not glue steel chains to the carmaquip as these one mattress has walked off.... One to my daughter at varsity
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

I've had my First Ascent for 8 years and they're still operating perfectly.
    Gavin Pike

I have been using the Carma Quip for 3 years now, no issues, no complaints.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

Deleted, not self inflating.
    Last edited by Bex; 2020/12/02 at 01:49 PM.
    Jors Malan
    FJ Cruiser
    Website https://www.gama4x4trails.com/home
    Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/JorsMalan

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast