With Absa you can't buy anuthing without a Cell number

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default With Absa you can't buy anuthing without a Cell number

What is wrong at Absa? On Monday 16/11/2020 my wife paid with her Absa Visa card for a bed at a well known dealer in Pretoria to the amount of R13,500. She had a credit balance of over R14,000+ on the card with available balance of over R30,000. A few minutes later a lady phoned telling she is from Absa and without further identification requested my wife's id number and address. Immediately my wife suspected that this is a scam and refused to give any information as Absa has told us on many occasions they won't request personal information over the phone. The lady said she is going to lock the card and my wife said if she do so she will move her accounts to another bank. On Tuesday 17/11 she went to Woolworths to buy stuff for R930 and her card did not work after trying it at 4 tills. She went to the Absa branch in Brooklyn Centre to find out that it was indeed locked. After it was unlocked she managed to pay at Woolworths and the transaction for the bed also went through. Had the lady identified herself properly and told my wife she was from Absa Fraud she might have reacted differently saving my wife a lot of time wasted and embarrassment.
    My question is, what if we were at a lodge in the bushveld with no cellphone reception or in a neighboring country with no reception, how will you make a payment via Credit Card?

On Sunday 22/11 I had to make EFT payments on my Absa Online Banking from my pc to both my brother in law and sister in law of rather large amounts. None of them was defined as beneficiaries and after going through the whole story of adding them with 3 MMI's to be replied to for each on my cellphone and increasing my daily limit for payments I made the first payment which was rejected. Almost immediately a person phoned me, this time he properly introduced him as from Absa Fraud and he want make sure I did the transaction and is the account holder. All went well and he told me to log off and log on again after which I re-did the transaction and both the first and second payments went through.

I asked him what would have happened if I was at the above lodge and after my Credit Card payment failed I try to make a payment via EFT using their Wi Fi and he told me it also would not have worked if he could not get hold of me on the phone.

On Monday 23/11 I tried to buy LTE data with my credit card via the Telkom website and after filling in all my card information and proceed for payment I got the following message.

acsabsa.bankserv.co.za took too long to respond

I tried to find a contact number for Absa Credit Card problems on Google but to no avail.

Absa is really going over the board with Fraud controlling making it impossible to do business with them. If you cannot trust you Credit Card to work if you have sufficient funds, how can you go to any place where there is no cellphone reception, that include many places in SA, and basically all other countries.

Any suggestions of a financial institution we can take our accounts to where you can buy stuff with your own money even if they can't get hold of you over the phone but with sufficient security in place to eliminate phone calls?i

Default Re: With Absa you can't buy anuthing without a Cell number

here is the complete list of banks that will never give you shitty service:

end of list.

That said I share your views on ABSA but every bank has stories like yours
    Last edited by mullerza; 2020/11/26 at 01:57 PM.
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

It costs but it's worth it to have a private banker. I phone her and she sorts everything in a jiffy..
    It did take a while to build a pro relationship.
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2020/11/26 at 02:00 PM.
    Rudolf Ras
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 853 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 117 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 124 000 km

Capitec has never phoned me when I do a large purchase on my CC
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4 (workshop whore)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

I'm also with Absa, but never had an issue with paying for things with my CC and they have never phoned me for these transactions.

BUT, the other night, I ordered a new screen for a Xiaomi phone (cannot get anything in SA) from Aliexpress. The amount was under 2k. Lady phoned us from Absa and said they picked up a strange transaction on my CC and if it was valid. This was at 11 at night! I said yes, it was me and the transaction went through.

I was very impressed. I had my CC cloned once in JHB while on business and they tried to purchase things from overseas to the tune of 15k.

I think they have a algorithm or trend against all the customer's credit cards and if something out of the ordinary pops up, it gets flagged.

For once I am impressed with this level of service.
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2.5dCI 4x4
    2013 Nissan Xtrail 2.0dCi XE 2x4

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    It costs but it's worth it to have a private banker. I phone her and she sorts everything in a jiffy..
    It did take a while to build a pro relationship.
    I wish I earned enough to qualify for private banking! Until then, im stuck with moronic call centres
    Lexus GS350
    Nissan X-trail 2.5 4x4 (old rattle donkey)
    Ex - Polo Vivo 1.6 sedan(Stolen ), Nissan Hardbody 2.4 4x4 D/cab, Steed 5 2.5tci 4x4 D/cab

Well in short, why would you want to make payments when you do not have cell signal. Why not just make the payments before or after?

They have to be strict on Fraud, because, lets use your example, they didn't phone, they didn't lock cards, and someone was busy stealing your money, your whole writeup would have been how crap they are for not stopping fraud?

It's unfortunately the world we live in, like having to live in a prison in your own house, to be safe, so the criminals can walk around and have rights.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

One benefit of being a pensioner.....I never make large purchases.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duncang For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    One benefit of being a pensioner.....I never make large purchases.
    I think it's not big purchases, rather ABSA who kind of knows your spending habits on each card, so when a purchase of any kind out of the ordinary or from a strange place (like my 2k purchase) pops up that they flag it.

I have bought things well over my recent 2k flagged purchase without any problems or calls.
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2.5dCI 4x4
    2013 Nissan Xtrail 2.0dCi XE 2x4

Quote Originally Posted by PierredW View Post

On Monday 23/11 I tried to buy LTE data with my credit card via the Telkom website and after filling in all my card information and proceed for payment I got the following message.

acsabsa.bankserv.co.za took too long to respond
    This, I have not been able to buy online with my CC for at least the whole of 2020. I always have to select one of the instant EFT options to get things done.
    Should probably find out what the issue is.

Quote Originally Posted by Willis View Post
    I wish I earned enough to qualify for private banking! Until then, im stuck with moronic call centres
    FNB Premier doesn't give you a private banker, but you do get quicker, non-calling access that really works. And you don't need a massive salary for it either. Hell, I got it.

I appreciate there awareness as I received a call from them when I suddenly fill up in Botswana and I did not inform them that I am leaving RSA borders. Lekka wake up another time their was a purchase overseas with a cloned card and I could confirm that it was not me and the transaction was stopped before it happened. That is service to me.

2016 Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 Dc
    2010 Conqueror Compact 2

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:

Post #1 refers. Should a fraud department phone you, they should have your info to hand.
    Ask the caller for a hint of your ID and tell them you will fill in the blanks.

ABSA have also recently cancelled petrol cards linked to Cheque accounts. My 2 youngsters can no longer use theirs and need to have the cash or a credit card.

We will have to set up a new CC account, opt for no CCs and get 4x petrol cards.

The mind boggles.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

I remember reading somewhere that ABSA is particular have more fraud issues and the problem is internal- staff involved.

RE paying at a lodge If there is no cell reception chances are the POS machine won't be able to work either as they work on sim cards too.

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

I have been with Absa for the past 30 years. I have been called a few times from the fraud department, about suspicious activity. Rather that, than my account being fraudulently debited. Why is it a problem, when they want to protect the client and themselves?
    Pieter Kemp.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pieterk For This Useful Post:

Unfortunately many garages accept Petrocards for food, and cooldrinks. "Oil" purchases. Threatening to move your account is futile. As said, which bank is without problems or slack staff.
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.
    Sp Tourer

I would rather have them block my card "just in case" than to allow transactions go thru "just in case its really me"

If i ever go to area`s without cell reception, I make sure i have cash with me for unforeseen circumstances, all accommodation always paid upfront.

If you cross border, you can tell your bank you are going, and they will open your card up for ALL transactions, I once spend R2500 in italy, then 3 hours later another R3000 in Paris with my Absa CC. no issues. once back in SA, they block your card again for SA only IP addresses.

They are all useless, even this FNB "Private Wealth" account. Only difference is my banking fees are a hell of a lot higher. I want that colorful BoBT card with the Velcro wallet back, ####, I think there were no banking fees as long as you had R50 in the account or something.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 Auto 4Motion
    2011 VW Golf GTI DSG
    2007 VW Golf GTI
    2003 VW Citi Life

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    ABSA have also recently cancelled petrol cards linked to Cheque accounts. My 2 youngsters can no longer use theirs and need to have the cash or a credit card.

We will have to set up a new CC account, opt for no CCs and get 4x petrol cards.

The mind boggles.
    Estee same happend with my ABSA petrol card which was the only card I used to purchase fuel.It was linked to my cheque acc.They issued me with a debit card to use against my cheque acc.Works the same as my old garage card.
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast