What to upgrade to, eventually.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default What to upgrade to, eventually.

Ok, I know this has been debated to death by now, but if you are up for it, let's chat a bit more.

I currently drive a Freelander 2, before this I drove a platkar, and decided to get back into the 4x4 thing. I also wanted a bit of a bigger car, since our other car is also a platkar.

I have really only one issue with the Freelander. It's boot is too small. I can fit more stuff into my platkar, so I would need something with a bigger boot.

Now, here comes the dilemma.

I have my heart set on a Disco 4, but I am too crap scared to touch a Disco Diesel again, so it would have to be a petrol. Problem is they are a bit out of my budget for now, so I'll have to wait about 2 years probably. Other issue is the fuel consumption. This would be a daily drive, and even going to Durbs in a V8 monster will cost a couple of bucks. Now, I know if you wanna 4x4 fuel consumption shouldn't be a priority, and I agree, but those Disco's are quite thirsty. That's why I opted for the TDV6 Disco 3 initially, and yeah, most of you who know me knows that was a mistake.

The other issue I have, and heck, maybe I'm being a bit daft, is that although Landies aren't synonymous with reliability, they offer a hell of a lot of nice features inside. I am definitely a creature comfort kind of guy, so I like all those nice magafters in a car.

So, to get to the point, I am trying to convince myself I don't need to buy another Landy, and that there is something that can compare. Here is the list so far, including landies though. Mostly looking at 2010-2012 range models. Budget debatable, but let's stick to the 200k mark for now.

Also, here are some things I really want in a car.

1) Dual climate control (I like being cold, swambo doesn't)
    2) Low Range ( I want to do more offroading)
    3) Automatic ( We have long since stopped driving manuals, swambo will burn the clutch out)
    4) Auto Lights and Preferably wipers (yeah, I got lazy like that)
    5) Bluetooth for phone, nice to have for music ( Should swambo drive she must always be able to easily call me)

Please don't take it that I am dissing other cars, I'm giving my likes and dislikes.

1) Disco 4 Petrol -- still first choice (I can fix a t-piece and the air suspension, will budget for those costs upfront)
    2) Range Rover Sport -- Still all the nice things in them, though also pricey, and not too sure I would WANT to take it offroad. Also worried about repair bills.
    3) Pajero. -- More expensive than a Disco, not nearly as nice on the inside IMO, not too pretty outside either.
    4) Pajero Sport -- Really rather bad looking
    5) X5 -- Love Beamers, including the X5, but really not quite offroad worthy.
    6) VW's and Audi's -- Don't like the brand, they have let me down way too much, so would probably never buy one, although I think the Amarok and Tauoreg are really nice
    7) Grand Cherokee -- For some reason I don't quite like them very much, but maybe I should go test drive one, and do research on the diesel engines.
    8) So what else is there?
    Last edited by lizardalpha; 2020/11/26 at 12:08 PM.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Default Re: What to upgrade to, eventually.

bud from recent experience range rover big body is the one you want

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBob View Post
    bud from recent experience range rover big body is the one you want
    In other words the normal Range Rover, not the sport?
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

Yup, you opened a can of worms! Even the Grand Cherokee 3.6 Pentastar petrol is very nice and not too thirsty. A V6/V8/V10 Touareg, petrol or diesel, would be awesome but if something breaks; $$$$$... But ultimately in terms of reliability, economy and peace of mind ownership (including low theft risk) - well, you all know.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

...Sigh... Happy days.

Finally a thread where I can safely recommend the Touareg or the Pajero.
    Cheers
    MANDREAS

"That what I know, I do not remember" - Yakhe Kwinana 2020

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    Yup, you opened a can of worms! Even the Grand Cherokee 3.6 Pentastar petrol is very nice and not too thirsty. A V6/V8/V10 Touareg, petrol or diesel, would be awesome but if something breaks; $$$$$... But ultimately in terms of reliability, economy and peace of mind ownership (including low theft risk) - well, you all know.
    I must add, I won't consider a Toyota for one reason, and one reason only, they are boring, again, in my opinion. Great cars, but they don't get my blood flowing if you know what I mean.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

Because its your money and not mine Id reccomend the disco 4 for sure. I lust after those things when they drive past me, they really do look like awesome vehicles, but, im just to scared (read poor) for when things need replacing on them unfortunately.

I agree on your other points as well, used Pajeros are nice, but, bloody hell theyre expensive. shockingly expensive actually.

The toureg would be a good shout I guess, but, Im with you, I dont like the VW/Audi brand, so thats out too.

what about a (boring) fortuner? (edit: haha, I see you already said what I thought, they are boring)
    Last edited by Graham; 2020/11/26 at 12:30 PM.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 4.2td

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    what about a (boring) fortuner?
    Hahaha, read above.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

I look at cars in this budget quite often (lots of young friends looking for their first 4x4).

I'd say for you, in this order.
    1) the Disco, it's where your heart is and the v8 is a good car with only a few, but well know niggles that are easy to sort. Drive the other car for trips not needing the 4x4.

2) Toureg. Superb cars for the money with an awesome v6 tdi (or v8 tdi if you can find one). With the right rubber it will go most places your willing to take it.

3) Pajero Gen 4, 3.2 DID but the GLS or exceed (luxury spec) and 140kw 440nm version (newer than 2010). This is a buy with the head not hart (unless you long for a Paj). They don't turn heads like some other brands, are less car like compared to the disco and Toureg, but they are always there when you need them (not that the others aren't), they do many things very competently and those that drive them love them. Plenty space and has a cargo capacity around the 800kg mark.

Cheers

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    I must add, I won't consider a Toyota for one reason, and one reason only, they are boring, again, in my opinion. Great cars, but they don't get my blood flowing if you know what I mean.
    Toyotas are the only vehicles that get my Blood flowing ..Your List looks like a Tupperware Party catalogue Lol ..Go listen to a Land Cruiser Bakkie V8 idling to get your Blood flowing
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2020/11/26 at 12:43 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

I think you should look at a Nissan Pathfinder. In your price range possibly the best option.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

200k is not a big budget but i recon the 2 that will tick the boxes is the fortuner or the pajero sport.

Toyota does not have a WOW car. They have okay cars.

Most other manufactures have a wow factor, but lack somewhere else.

Toyota ticks all the boxes with "okay".
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

André Opperman

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oppies3800 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post

In my opinion I think the 80, 100 and 200 series cruisers are all wow. Absolutely love them, especially the v8 diesel in the 200. Also like the 79 and 76 v8.

But none of them in this budget unfortunately.

Maybe have a look at a few lexus models, don't have toyota resale value and are usually a bit better acquainted. Cant for the life of me find a good looking one though.
    Last edited by pjf110; 2020/11/26 at 02:41 PM.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85
    LROC member:5881

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW F800GS

I would save a bit more and get the best 4x4 for 250 to 300k, will get you a newer model than 2010 to 2012

A few notes from my experience:

Disco v8 :

is thirsty, we got 4 to 5km in town, 7 to 8km per liter on open road
    Eats brakes
    Air suspension we replaced 2 out of the 4 sides over 2 years
    Alternator new
    Fuel level sensor in tank replace
    We worked out cost to own over 3 years, all in all, with averages on services etc, worked out to around R 6 - R 8 k per month, excluding installments as it was bought cash, but including insurance

Range rover V8 SC:

Best car i've owned, except for packing space, would rather stick to disco
    is thirsty, we got 3 to 5km in town, 7 to 8km per liter on open road
    Eats brakes
    Fixed aircon compressor twice
    We worked out cost to own over 3 years, all in all, with averages on services etc, worked out to around R 6 - R 7 k per month, excluding installments as it was bought cash, but including insurance and fuel

VW:

Still have the caravelle
    Best family car
    Have spent nothing in 3 years , except services and brakes
    So far, over 3 years, costs us around R 4 k per month , excluding installments as bought cash, but including fuel, including insurance

Hope this helps
    Defender RAW Nara Bronze
    Series III 88

VW Caravelle (wife)

KX450F #78
    KX 65 # 10

handmadeprojects.co.za

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willemviljoen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    Toyotas are the only vehicles that get my Blood flowing ..Your List looks like a Tupperware Party catalogue Lol ..Go listen to a Land Cruiser Bakkie V8 idling to get your Blood flowing
    But who doesn't like tupperware . Truly though, in my budget the best bet would be a fortuner, and they are just not the car for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    I think you should look at a Nissan Pathfinder. In your price range possibly the best option.
    I actually had a look at them before buying the freelander. At the end of the day I wasn't keen on the interior of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    200k is not a big budget but i recon the 2 that will tick the boxes is the fortuner or the pajero sport.
    Again, fortuner would be the "correct choice", perhaps, but I can't see myself being happy with it. The pajero sport is similar to the fortuner for me, but I should probably go test drive one at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post

That's just it, I drove a Ford Focus for a very long time, and that car was "okay". It never broke down, it never gave me hassles, but it never put a smile on my face either. I like to enjoy life, do things that makes me happy, and take some risks whilst doing it, and yeah, sometimes they cost me a lot of money, but I'm that guy that reckons money means nothing if you aren't creating great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    In my opinion I think the 80, 100 and 200 series cruisers are all wow. Absolutely love them, especially the v8 diesel in the 200. Also like the 79 and 76 v8.

Jip, budget would definitely be a problem with them, but I also don't think they are quite luxurious enough for me.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

Oh, I completely forgot about this one.

Porche Cayenne. Yes yes, I know its a Touareg dressed up, but hell, I can kinda see myself smiling when doing a 4x4 route with a porche, especially when most people would think you are bat #### crazy . Swambo hates them though, so probably won't happen.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

Quote Originally Posted by willemviljoen View Post
    I would save a bit more and get the best 4x4 for 250 to 300k, will get you a newer model than 2010 to 2012

A few notes from my experience:

Disco v8 :

is thirsty, we got 4 to 5km in town, 7 to 8km per liter on open road
    Eats brakes
    Air suspension we replaced 2 out of the 4 sides over 2 years
    Alternator new
    Fuel level sensor in tank replace
    We worked out cost to own over 3 years, all in all, with averages on services etc, worked out to around R 6 - R 8 k per month, excluding installments as it was bought cash, but including insurance

Range rover V8 SC:

Best car i've owned, except for packing space, would rather stick to disco
    is thirsty, we got 3 to 5km in town, 7 to 8km per liter on open road
    Eats brakes
    Fixed aircon compressor twice
    We worked out cost to own over 3 years, all in all, with averages on services etc, worked out to around R 6 - R 7 k per month, excluding installments as it was bought cash, but including insurance and fuel

VW:

Still have the caravelle
    Best family car
    Have spent nothing in 3 years , except services and brakes
    So far, over 3 years, costs us around R 4 k per month , excluding installments as bought cash, but including fuel, including insurance

Hope this helps

Thanks, this is a great writeup.

Just a quick one, do the Landies figures include fuel or purely maintenance and insurance. Seems a bit on the high side for the Disco 4, so am I missing something?
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post

And the FJ! But that would be outside the OP's budget.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast