What to upgrade to, eventually. - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: What to upgrade to, eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    Toyotas are the only vehicles that get my Blood flowing ..Your List looks like a Tupperware Party catalogue Lol ..Go listen to a Land Cruiser Bakkie V8 idling to get your Blood flowing
    Feeling a tad under the weather Peter? You didn't state that your 2by Hilux is the best there is and that the OP should buy one. For the resale value of course as you permanently remind us

Lizard, the LR's are what you like and want, a V8 in either petrol or diesel seems to be on your horizon.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

OK, having owned a D4 V8 I also went through the whole exercise of what to replace it with when I got tired of the repair bills. Eventually I bought a Touareg V6 tdi (every day I think I should have bought the V8 tdi).

For me, the Touareg ticked a lot of boxes, and I always say it is my compromise car. To be honest, it is a decent car with few shortcomings - one of which is packing space after I got spoiled by a Fortuner and then the D4. The Touareg has a nice drive, and for me it is better than the D4 at higher speeds (less drifting on the road). In town the D4 was definitely nicer. Must say I don't miss the fuel bill on the V8 petrol. With the Touareg I easily get 1 000 km on the 100L tank on the open road. In town mileage it drops to around 8.5 km/L.

I actually test drove an RRS SDV8 today. Accelerating on the highway, I was a but disappointed, I expected much more from the RRS. My Touareg actually feels a bit more nimble than the RRS, but it might be due the weight difference, and the fact that the RRS just feels so solid that you don't notice the power. 0-100 is claimed to be <7 sec for the RSS, it doesn't feel like it.

This is a difficult decision. In my head I know the Touareg is more than I need, and it drives great, but I still want an RRS. I suspect it is basically the same for you with the D4.
    Current: Touareg V6 TDi
    Ex: Discovery 4 V8 - Sold at 149 000 km. Awesome vehicle, but a bottomless pit.
    Ex: Fortuner D4D - Best vehicle I've owned Sold at 267 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux 2.7i - sold at 241 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux D4D - sold at 330 000 km.

I am at the exact same place as OP.

Every time my missus says the FL has a new sqeek of noise I cringe and hold tightly onto my wallet - but in reality the FL is not too expensive to maintain. But I fear the day if something big should pop. The reliability of a D3/4 scares the living daylight out of me!

Yes, Toyota's are boring the the thrill of being stranded next to the road is not appealing to me.

I am leaning towards a Fortuner or even Prado... maybe even a Pajero(you will be surprised how cheap their insurance are!) but think a V6 Hilux will win in the end.

At this stage I need reliable without niggles or worries.

If you do find the correct and perfect replacement, please keep me informed?
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanks everyone for all the input.

I've showed Swambo the Rangie Supercharged and she quite likes it. It's still a bit hard to find one u der 200k that I would touch, but will add them to the list of things to look out for. I'm always keeping my eye on auto trader for a good deal.

The Freelander was/is the gateway car that made me want to get back into owning a 4x4, specifically a suv again. I've always told her I'll either trade it for something bigger and better, or another platkar.

Anyway, as for some of the other suggestions, I think I'll spend a couple of weekends having a look at them, as I'm not really in a rush, despite my ass itching like crazy.

BTW, once again the forum has proven to me to be open to suggestions. I actually had my heart set on a D4, perhaps a RRS, but it's definitely swaying a bit more to the big body at this point.

So, I'll obviously start a new thread when I do actually trade the Freelander, but that can easily take a year before it happens. I always start looking early and wait till the best deal comes along.

Just as a reference, before buying the 530d I eyed them for about 3 years. The Freelander was a bit quicker, at about 3 or so months. My original 320d, first beamer I bought was also about 2 to 3 years. I don't rush into car buying anymore, I learned that lesson with the D3.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Quote Originally Posted by thabogrobler View Post
    I am at the exact same place as OP.

Every time my missus says the FL has a new sqeek of noise I cringe and hold tightly onto my wallet - but in reality the FL is not too expensive to maintain. But I fear the day if something big should pop. The reliability of a D3/4 scares the living daylight out of me!

Yes, Toyota's are boring the the thrill of being stranded next to the road is not appealing to me.

I am leaning towards a Fortuner or even Prado... maybe even a Pajero(you will be surprised how cheap their insurance are!) but think a V6 Hilux will win in the end.

At this stage I need reliable without niggles or worries.

If you do find the correct and perfect replacement, please keep me informed?
    If you dont need or specifically want something else, stick with the FL. I don't think they have major repair bills, and I know of a good indie that gave me peace of mind on mine. BTW, yes they squeak, and it's a Landy, and you are always worried about it breaking, but mine hasn't really given me any ####. The only thing that broke since I owned it was the water bottle, had a hairline Crack
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

I loved my supercharged sport i had the 5.0 , great off road, towed anything, super comfortable, and ridiculously fast. I bought her with 60k on the clock and recently traded her in for a new wildtrak. Honestly the maintenance bill was getting crazy even at an indy. At 100k I spent 68k on the engine after the timing chain failure, I replaced two front belows, the arc pump and the torque converter. I still miss her but now I have a vehicle that uses 50% less fuel , will cost me nothing in maintenance over the next 4 years and truth be told has pretty much the same comfort and gadgets.
    Ranger Wildtrak
    Ex Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Ex R5 Touareg with air and RDL
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.

OK, so in light of my potential next buy. For now, what would be major concern items on the big body. Specifically the 5L supercharged. I'll speak to my trusted indie as well.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    I must add, I won't consider a Toyota for one reason, and one reason only, they are boring, again, in my opinion. Great cars, but they don't get my blood flowing if you know what I mean.
    Agree except if itís an FJ!
    Bruce Hunter. 2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Problem with these kind of wants/needs is that it ends up in the person buying a top line car, that is not in the best nick, or has seen a few kilometers, and will, through out the ownership need some special care...

Like buying an older high mileage 7 series BMW for cheap... Its a fantastic car and gives you a massage while you drive it...., but you know it will eat your wallet pretty soon.
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2020/11/27 at 08:49 AM.

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Problem with these kind of wants/needs is that it ends up in the person buying a top line car, that is not in the best nick, or has seen a few kilometers, and will, through out the ownership need some special care...

Like buying an older high mileage 7 series BMW for cheap... Its a fantastic car and gives you a massage while you drive it...., but you know it will eat your wallet pretty soon.
    For sure. I once met a guy who told me a very valid truth, whilst having the gearbox flushed on the disco. If you want to drive a luxury car, expect to pay luxury prices. Now that's all good and fine, but there is a big difference between the occasional 20-30k repair bill, and the potentially inevitable 150k engine replacement (yes yes, you all know which vehicle I am referring to).

As for all luxury high mileage cars being cash pits, well that isn't quite true either, and again, research is key. I'll use my platkar as an example. It has 190k on the clock, I bought it three years ago with about 170k on the clock, and thus far it has cost me rear brakes and service items, and a battery replacement. Now, at the time of purchasing, I knew I was gonna fork out about 5-7k for the battery, and 5k a tire at the back, and 3k at the front, because I did my research. This allows you to budget for those items. What I also knew, is that the engine in itself is pretty bulletproof, and failures are few and far between.

When I bought the Disco 3, I didn't do my research, and as such it kinda caught me off guard. At that stage in my life I didn't have the odd 20-30k lying around for a repair bill, and the other problem was that I didn't want Swambo to drive a car that is that unreliable.

I am now currently in a position where I don't technically even need 2 cars, so I can kinda afford one of them standing for a bit should it break, but before buying an expensive repair bill, I'd like to know what I need to budget for, and then I can figure out if the risk appetite is worth it or not.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

For sure. I once met a guy who told me a very valid truth, whilst having the gearbox flushed on the disco. If you want to drive a luxury car, expect to pay luxury prices. Now that's all good and fine, but there is a big difference between the occasional 20-30k repair bill, and the potentially inevitable 150k engine replacement (yes yes, you all know which vehicle I am referring to).

As for all luxury high mileage cars being cash pits, well that isn't quite true either, and again, research is key. I'll use my platkar as an example. It has 190k on the clock, I bought it three years ago with about 170k on the clock, and thus far it has cost me rear brakes and service items, and a battery replacement. Now, at the time of purchasing, I knew I was gonna fork out about 5-7k for the battery, and 5k a tire at the back, and 3k at the front, because I did my research. This allows you to budget for those items. What I also knew, is that the engine in itself is pretty bulletproof, and failures are few and far between.

When I bought the Disco 3, I didn't do my research, and as such it kinda caught me off guard. At that stage in my life I didn't have the odd 20-30k lying around for a repair bill, and the other problem was that I didn't want Swambo to drive a car that is that unreliable.

I am now currently in a position where I don't technically even need 2 cars, so I can kinda afford one of them standing for a bit should it break, but before buying an expensive repair bill, I'd like to know what I need to budget for, and then I can figure out if the risk appetite is worth it or not.
    If you do 20k km in 3 years, you can buy anything, and it will be reliable

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    If you do 20k km in 3 years, you can buy anything, and it will be reliable
    Mmm, maybe, but not a Polo Tdi or a Disco 3 . Both were fantastic cars, but both managed to break often, in fact, I doubt I put more than 10k on either of them, heck, the polo had to go after just 8 months.

I've been clever, we don't work far from home, wife does 25KM a day, so 125 a week, which will be 500 a month, time 12, 6k give or take. Add in the occasional trip to durbs( once a year), maybe sitting at 8k.

I drive 6KM to the train station, so 12km round trip, well use to before Covid 19, so yeah, very few miles go onto my car. Currently I drive about 50KM once a week to the office and back. I alternate long journeys though.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

I must add, I won't consider a Toyota for one reason, and one reason only, they are boring, again, in my opinion. Great cars, but they don't get my blood flowing if you know what I mean.
    FJ cruiser is another option but tech doesn't exist. Not even a avg fuel consumption or outside temp. That being said 11 litres 100 km open road and 14 in town isn't bad (and that's true consumption km vs litres)

I've had mine for 18mnths, and probably one of the cheapest cars to run/service and spares cheap too. Paid R280k for a 2011 model
    Ubbo
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2014 Rubicon - Sold

Mmm, maybe, but not a Polo Tdi or a Disco 3 . Both were fantastic cars, but both managed to break often, in fact, I doubt I put more than 10k on either of them, heck, the polo had to go after just 8 months.

I've been clever, we don't work far from home, wife does 25KM a day, so 125 a week, which will be 500 a month, time 12, 6k give or take. Add in the occasional trip to durbs( once a year), maybe sitting at 8k.

I drive 6KM to the train station, so 12km round trip, well use to before Covid 19, so yeah, very few miles go onto my car. Currently I drive about 50KM once a week to the office and back. I alternate long journeys though.
    You are fortunate, I do between 45k and 55k km a year

And then people tell me on this forum that only stupid people buy new cars

I'll use my platkar as an example. It has 190k on the clock, I bought it three years ago with about 170k on the clock, and thus far it has cost me rear brakes and service items, and a battery replacement.
    That stat is unfortunately not a great one, 20 000kms is nothing .

Id be interested to see the comments on what experienced folk suggest you need to have saved up for the inevitable rainy day with the landy though.
    Oh, and I also had a look at disco4 v8s for sale. I couldnt find one for R200k?
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 4.2td

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    That stat is unfortunately not a great one, 20 000kms is nothing .

Id be interested to see the comments on what experienced folk suggest you need to have saved up for the inevitable rainy day with the landy though.
    Oh, and I also had a look at disco4 v8s for sale. I couldnt find one for R200k?
    With regards to the stat, yes, it isn't a lot of km's added, but I can compare it to my other cars, as all them had similar usage.

So from what I know on the V8's, Disco's at least, the following maybe.

1) Air compressor - 12-15k
    2) Timing chain - also about 15k, I need to double check.

Of course you have other worries, like should the air suspension bags need replacing, and you have your wear and tear on your bushes and stuff. But generally speaking there isn't high ticket items like the diesel, or at least not as many and as often.

On diesels you have the compressor as well, but then you have injectors, high pressure fuel pump, and the potential crank failure. And the cheapest of that lot is the fuel pump, at also about 15k. Injectors will run you 30-40k, and the crank runs you to about 150k.

I have seen the occasional one going for less than 200k.
    Last edited by lizardalpha; 2020/11/27 at 10:00 AM.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

19. The Following User Says Thank You to lizardalpha For This Useful Post:

A few years ago a mate bought a RRS V8(no supercharger). It was around 8 or 9 years old with 50 000km on in an perfect condition - I knew the car and it really was a straight, honest car.

But even then, almost every service was a R25k plus bill!

A cheap(ish) secondhand lux-o-barge will require maintenance of a new lux-o-barge, at new lux-o-barge prices!

Somewhere on this forum someone asked what does it cost to maintain an old Range Rover. For me the winning answer was: If you can not afford a new Range Rover, you can not afford the maintenance on an old Range Rover!
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thabogrobler For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thabogrobler View Post

Somewhere on this forum someone asked what does it cost to maintain an old Range Rover. For me the winning answer was: If you can not afford a new Range Rover, you can not afford the maintenance on an old Range Rover!
    I'll be that guy . This winning answer is not a winning answer for me. Let's work on a Disco Diesel quick. New they went for close to a bar if I remember correctly. Now, you can pick one up for less than 200k, but lets work with 200k.

1) Buying price 200 000
    2) Engine Replacement 150 000
    3) Injectors 30-50 k
    4) Fuel Pump : 15k
    5) Air Suspension : 15k

Thats a total of what, 430k, and you would basically have a brand new car, and only if it's pretty much worst case scenario.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

I'll be that guy . This winning answer is not a winning answer for me. Let's work on a Disco Diesel quick. New they went for close to a bar if I remember correctly. Now, you can pick one up for less than 200k, but lets work with 200k.

1) Buying price 200 000
    2) Engine Replacement 150 000
    3) Injectors 30-50 k
    4) Fuel Pump : 15k
    5) Air Suspension : 15k

Thats a total of what, 430k, and you would basically have a brand new car, and this is the only scenario in reality.
    ASPW on the Jeep Grand Cherokee: "This vehicle is phenomenal... I have never seen a traction control system working quite like this..."

That saying about driving luxury cars and paying luxury prices is all good and certainly true. However, how many people these days are able to buy a brand new luxury SUV cash? Usually there will be hefty bank installments.
    Buying an older luxury SUV cash is certainly possible or at least the bank installments could be significantly less, freeing up funds for maintenance and repairs.
    After all, no privately owned vehicle is an investment, it's always an expense. It's up to each individual owner to decide where he / she spend their money, on perceived reliability or repair bills.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast