Backup Solar Installation Upgrade

Default Backup Solar Installation Upgrade

Good Evening

Im in the process of planning to upgrade my solar back up system.
    I live in the Vaal area and our electricity is very unpredictable.

At the moment I have a smallish system, which Im planning on basically removing and Installing a 48V system.

I have a 3KV 60A MPPT Controller/charger(12V, 24V, 36V, 48V), Changi 24V 3000W inverter, 4 x 120AH CSB Gel batteries and 6 x 150W panels.
    It can run most of my essential stuff when the power is off for days (8 days the last time) but it then cant keep the batteries charged.

So Im thinking of getting a 5KV inverter, 48v 120ah 6.1kwh lithium battery, and 12 400W panels.
    I feel this would cover my needs, but then I would like to have certain circuits run permanently on this system, like fridges. pc, DVR, alarm etc.

Any thoughts on this?
    Is it overkill?
    Maybe just upgrade my existing system?

Thanks for any input

Default Re: Backup Solar Installation Upgrade

Without knowing the details, it looks like you're planning too much PV solar panels for the battery size.

I'd rather spend less on the PV and get a bigger battery if I had to do the same.
    Riaan

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser 200 GX-R
    2019 Toyota Hilux Extracab 2.8GD6 4x4
    2018 Bush Lapa Ratel 4 (B1244)

Quote Originally Posted by R1Biker View Post
    So Im thinking of getting a 5KV inverter, 48v 120ah 6.1kwh lithium battery, and 12 400W panels.
    What Monkey-D said, way too much paneling.

My system:
    A 5kva inverter runs at max at about 4kw continuous, which I don't see happening. Peaks yes.
    I first tried 2.4kw, then upgrade to 3.5kw and now 4.2kw of panels.

With 4.2kw of panels and a 7.2kWh bank used each night to DoD 70%/SOC 30%, I can power all the loads duirng the day AND recharge the bank with ease.

I need more batteries.

With that said, each of us have our own load profiles, but still, 12.4kw of paneling is a MASSIVE array.
    Match the panels to the inverter, then add more panels for the batteries, depending on your daily loads, as not many people draw 4kw every hour of the day.

Obviously the above goes hand in hand with load scheduling, to further optimize the use of solar power, based on time of the day.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

Good Evening

I live in the Vaal area and our electricity is very unpredictable.

At the moment I have a smallish system, which Im planning on basically removing and Installing a 48V system.

I have a 3KV 60A MPPT Controller/charger(12V, 24V, 36V, 48V), Changi 24V 3000W inverter, 4 x 120AH CSB Gel batteries and 6 x 150W panels.
    It can run most of my essential stuff when the power is off for days (8 days the last time) but it then cant keep the batteries charged.

I feel this would cover my needs, but then I would like to have certain circuits run permanently on this system, like fridges. pc, DVR, alarm etc.

Any thoughts on this?
    Is it overkill?
    Maybe just upgrade my existing system?

Thanks for any input
    My stelsel in die huis is as volg
    - 6kW inverter met 2 stelle 48V gel batterye (4x200Ah)
    - Sonpanele:
    SOLAR PANEL 320 WATT EXTRA ADVANCED A GRADE - T 1 16off
    MPPT 80 Amp/hr Flexmax FM80 12/24/48/60V OutpT fan/heats com 1off
    WIRE SPECIAL PANELp DC SOLAR CABLE 4 mm
    (So gekopiŽer van die oorspronklike kwotasie)

My kommentaar:
    1. Hierdie stelsel moet die winkel en dieseldepot daagliks voorsien wanneer Eskom af is. Meestal rondom 10A en soms op na 18A gedurende werkure.
    2. Ek het 'n tydskakelaar installeer wat Eskom afskakel tussen 8vm en 4nm. Dan loop alles deur die batterye met PV aanvulling.
    3. Sonskyndae is alles perfek. Met baie bewolkte dae kan die PV nie byhou nie en skakel dit dan outomaties terug na Eskom. SOu Eskom in hierdie tyd af wees sakel ons yskaste ens af om lading te verminder om die belangrikste aan te hou werk.
    4. Ek het al gevind dat die MPPT tot op sy 80A maksimum lewer want die panele kan dit voorsien.

Die duurste uitgawe op bystandkrag is die batterye en ek het gevind dit maak nie finansiŽel sin om soveel batterye te koop om jou huis deurnag op bystand te laat loop nie. Jou Eskomverbruik is snags baie laag en dus ook goedkoop. Sou dit wel gebeur dat Eskom snags af is dan skakel jy omtrent alles af en net die nodigste op battery tot die oggend wat die panele weer inskop.

Ek sien nie probleme met jou hoeveelheid panele nie. As jy dit kan bekostig, doen dit. DIt sal 'n hartseer dag wees as jy laaikapasiteit nodig het en jy het nie genoeg panele om te voorsien nie. Hoe meer panele beskikbaar is gedurende bewolkte dae hoe beter. Jy ry nie jou motor altyd teen volle krag nie, behalwe teen 'n bult op wanneer nodig. Selfde beginsel hier.

Doen dit!!
    Last edited by JohanMaree; 2020/11/25 at 11:24 AM.
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    What Monkey-D said, way too much paneling.

My system:
    A 5kva inverter runs at max at about 4kw continuous, which I don't see happening. Peaks yes.
    I first tried 2.4kw, then upgrade to 3.5kw and now 4.2kw of panels.

With 4.2kw of panels and a 7.2kWh bank used each night to DoD 70%/SOC 30%, I can power all the loads duirng the day AND recharge the bank with ease.

I need more batteries.

With that said, each of us have our own load profiles, but still, 12.4kw of paneling is a MASSIVE array.
    Match the panels to the inverter, then add more panels for the batteries, depending on your daily loads, as not many people draw 4kw every hour of the day.

Obviously the above goes hand in hand with load scheduling, to further optimize the use of solar power, based on time of the day.

Hi

It is actually twelve by 400w panels.
    not 12400w of panels....

Hi

It is actually twelve by 400w panels.
    not 12400w of panels....
    My bad!!! I misread.

4800w is spot on for a 5kva inverter and batteries ... you will have loads spare during the day, and extended times in winter.

Me, being in Cape Town, with winter rainfall, no amount of panels will help. So therefor I slowly increased the array over time.

For nothing stops you from starting smaller, then add later.
    Just buy the MPPT so that you can do it.

Or go like smaller MPPT for array one, then if you see you need more after a few months with data, then get a 2nd MPPT and more panels.

This is our usage on 4.2kw of panels, 7.6kWh battery bank, and daytime heating 2 x geysers whilst running the house rest of the time.
    (Red is Eskom, Blue is batteries and Orange is solar.)
    Eskom at night is 3rd 50l geyser, the peaks can stay on Eskom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-11-25_14-58-34.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	597103   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-11-25_15-01-41.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	597104  
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2020/11/25 at 03:02 PM.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

The CT people are always so happy because they get PLENTY of sun when compared to us Reef people. So if they say you only need x W of panel, they would be correct but only if you're in the Cape.

Your 4800W PV will provide about 20+kWh's / day in Winter and about 25-30kWh in summer, depending on the orientation of your panels, cloud cover, rain etc.

If that's what you're expecting you're spot on, that will easily charge your battery from 80% DoD by lunchtime every day.

I would suggest you look no further than the Sunsync inverter, its inexpensive for what you get (functionality), support is growing very quickly and its really a feature rich machine.

Also the 5kW inverter will draw 5000W/48V = 104Amps if not throttled by a BMS or inverter settings, so take note of that when considering battery vendor (& BMS), Inverter and cables, fuses etc.

I recommend only 1 installer, give me a pm if you're interested.

Now, all you have to do is start training the family not to waster your power, which is a much bigger task than getting the system up and running.
    Padraic Berry

My input as per Johan. Your PV input on a sunny day is perhaps 4kwh. If you draw more than this per the 16hrs of no PV the batteries will get discharged. Adding the more panels to the existing panels on another MPPT to charge the batteries will make a big difference.
    On cloudy days you might get as little as 1kwh per day from PV and that can be used up real quick.

Hi

Thanks for the info so far.
    I'm buying a lithium battery from Lithium Batteries South Africa(Bain), which a lot of guys here recommend.

Family is already well trained not to waste power.

Panels will be orientated between North and North-East.
    So it will get sun early in the morning.

Good Evening

Dare I say you're not upgrading your backup system: You're installing an offgrid RE system and Eskom will be your backup

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    Dare I say you're not upgrading your backup system: You're installing an offgrid RE system and Eskom will be your backup
    Hi

That is probably a more correct way of stating it.
    I cannot rely on our municipality any more.

Nvm
    Last edited by R1Biker; 2021/01/08 at 10:20 PM.