Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 7 Passes Map

Default Re: 7 Passes Map

If I am hijacking the thread, please tell me to bugger of

We are planning on a day trip fro Tergniet to Knysna via 7 Passes, then N2 back. From what I read here, that is not too much of an ask in one day. Perhaps have lunch or picnic in Knysna.

Then, on our way home to GP we are sleeping over in Graaff-Reinet. My intention is to do this via Prins Alfred Pass. The normal time via the main tar roads is around 3.5 hours.

If I go on Google Maps travel times, driving via Prins Alfred Pass should take roughly another 1.5 - 2 hours, is that accurate?
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by Hendel1986 View Post

We are planning on a day trip fro Tergniet to Knysna via 7 Passes, then N2 back. From what I read here, that is not too much of an ask in one day. Perhaps have lunch or picnic in Knysna.

Then, on our way home to GP we are sleeping over in Graaff-Reinet. My intention is to do this via Prins Alfred Pass. The normal time via the main tar roads is around 3.5 hours.

If I go on Google Maps travel times, driving via Prins Alfred Pass should take roughly another 1.5 - 2 hours, is that accurate?
    Tergniet to Knysna via the 7 passes with lunch is easily doable in a day.

I think you should ignore google on driving the Prince Alfred pass.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to vnielsen For This Useful Post:

If you are doing Prince Alfred Pass from the Knysna side, as you come in to Knysna, take the Simola turn off (left), at the top of Simola, just as it turns to gravel, take the Gouna turn (left again). Then follow that road which eventually becomes Kom se Pad and it will take you through spectacular scenery and eventually spit you out on the Prince Alfred.

it will add about an hour to your journey.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QuintinC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by The Condor View Post
    Going that way on the 16th/17th December.

Will report back if Angie's G Spot is still a viable stopover.

What would the traveling time on the 7 passes route be compared to the N2?

My plan is to drive from Willowmore via Prince Alfred Pass, via 7 Passes, via Malgas Pont to De Kelders on the 17th.
    Why hurry ?
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Quote Originally Posted by QuintinC View Post
    If you are doing Prince Alfred Pass from the Knysna side, as you come in to Knysna, take the Simola turn off (left), at the top of Simola, just as it turns to gravel, take the Gouna turn (left again). Then follow that road which eventually becomes Kom se Pad and it will take you through spectacular scenery and eventually spit you out on the Prince Alfred.

...and 10 years to your life

Ford Figo 2016

I was looking at this option yes. Will stop and take a break somewhere for lunch, then continue to our overnight stop in Graaff-Reinet.

2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

FYI, if you want great maps , have a look at Slingsbys.
    More detail you won't find.
    I have a few and they are great.

Ford Figo 2016

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duncang For This Useful Post:

I was looking at this option yes. Will stop and take a break somewhere for lunch, then continue to our overnight stop in Graaff-Reinet.
    Leave early and do Prince Alfred's Pass via Simola and Kom se Pad. A short hop (20min) from Avontuur at the end of the pass to Uniondale for lunch. Don't bother with Angie's G-Spot. Really not worth it. (Lousy food, with prices made up on the fly. Depending on who serves you, you can pay anything between R15 and R35 for a small cup of tasteless black instant coffee) The are a number of quant coffee shops with great menus in Uniondale for lunch.

From Uniondale it is another 233km to Graaff-Reinet via Willowmore, all tar, so easily doable after lunch.

That is unless you accidentally get "lost" and go via Baviaanskloof.
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2020/11/27 at 06:32 AM.
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghouwens For This Useful Post:

Thanks ghouwens. I will save Baviaanskloof for another day . This sounds like a good plan!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghouwens View Post
    Leave early and do Prince Alfred's Pass via Simola and Kom se Pad. A short hop (20min) from Avontuur at the end of the pass to Uniondale for lunch. Don't bother with Angie's G-Spot. Really not worth it. (Lousy food, with prices made up on the fly. Depending on who serves you, you can pay anything between R15 and R35 for a small cup of tasteless black instant coffee) The are a number of quant coffee shops with great menus in Uniondale for lunch.

From Uniondale it is another 233km to Graaff-Reinet via Willowmore, all tar, so easily doable after lunch.

That is unless you accidentally get "lost" and go via Baviaanskloof.
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

When you get to De Vlugt, there is a very nice little coffee shop on your left (across the road from Angies G Spot which is on the right).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to QuintinC For This Useful Post:

When you get to De Vlugt, there is a very nice little coffee shop on your left (across the road from Angies G Spot which is on the right).
    We've stopped there for tea maybe 20 times in the last 50 years...great fresh scones with real cream !!

Ford Figo 2016

17. The Following User Says Thank You to duncang For This Useful Post:

Doing the 7 passes road. Just after Karatara Pass at Barrington, turn left and drive up to Farleigh lookout point. You can see from Mosselbay to the Knysna heads on a clear day. After Homtini Pass. Turn left Toward Bibby's hoek, before Rheenendal and take the drive to Jubilee creek and Millwood mines. Still have a stampmill and some open pits, where they mined Gold. Have lunch or supper at Tottie's at Rheenendal behind the Garage.
    Your estimation on driving Prince Alpert's pass back, is correct.
    Be aware traffic is bad, bad, bad, going through Knysna in December. It could take up to 4hrs getting through.
    Last edited by Pieterk; 2020/11/28 at 12:24 PM.
    Pieter Kemp.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Pieterk For This Useful Post:

IMO, not so sad. Had a few bad experiences there and will not go back, even if they got their act together.
    What bad experiences did you have there?

To OP:

Check the Mountain Passes of South Africa website, they have starting and ending co-ordinates and history of each of the passes.

And this factoid:

There is some confusion in respect of which the 7 Passes officially are. Research shows that there are in fact 8 passes: Starting from George in the West, they are:

1. Swartrivier Pass (Zwartrivierhoogtepas)
    2. Kaaimansgat Pass
    3. Silver River Pass
    4. Touw River Pass (also incorrectly called the Duiwelskop Pass)
    5. Hoogekraal Pass
    6. Karatara Pass
    7. Homtini Pass (Goukamma River Pass)
    8. Phantom Pass

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d7e7r7 For This Useful Post:

Thank you for the tip of lunch at Totties - as you rightly point out, Knysna can get silly in December
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    Doing the 7 passes road. just after Karatara Pass, Turn left and drive up to Farleigh lookout point. You can see from Mosselbay to the Knysna heads on a clear day. After Homtini Pass. Turn left Toward Bibby's hoek, before Rheenendal and take the drive to Jubilee creek and Millwood mines. Still have a stampmill and some open pits, where they mined Gold. Have lunch or supper at Tottie's at Rheenendal behind the Garage.
    Be aware traffic is bad, bad, bad, going through Knysna in December. It could take up to 4hrs getting through.
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by d7e7r7 View Post
    What bad experiences did you have there?
    The first time I was there was by invitation from a group of riders I joined for breakfast. Service was slow. I don't know exactly what went down, but afterward in the parking lot there was rather heated debate about something breakfast related that ended with a "fuck them then!"

The second time I was there with my wife. We had come down the pass and decided to stop for a snack. The order was 1 tea, 1 black coffee, and 2 toasted sandwiches. The tea, when it eventually arrived was grey and cold. The coffee, which took even longer than the tea, was cold, tasteless and evidently instant Ricoffy or something similar. The toasted sandwiches never materialized. We put it down to the lack of staff and decided to move on. Bill for the "tea" and "coffee" was R56.

The last time we were there, the order was 1 tea and 1 Windhoek draft. The tea was no better than the previous one, and the beer, well, they couldn't really stuff it up as it was pre-prepared in a bottle. The bill came to R88.

I am all for someone trying to make a living, but my experiences there were a little OTT.
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2020/11/28 at 12:19 PM.
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ghouwens For This Useful Post:

The first time I was there was by invitation from a group of riders I joined for breakfast. Service was slow. I don't know exactly what went down, but afterward in the parking lot there was rather heated debate about something breakfast related that ended with a "fuck them then!"

The second time I was there with my wife. We had come down the pass and decided to stop for a snack. The order was 1 tea, 1 black coffee, and 2 toasted sandwiches. The tea, when it eventually arrived was grey and cold. The coffee, which took even longer than the tea, was cold, tasteless and evidently instant Ricoffy or something similar. The toasted sandwiches never materialized. We put it down to the lack of staff and decided to move on. Bill for the "tea" and "coffee" was R56.

The last time we were there, the order was 1 tea and 1 Windhoek draft. The tea was no better than the previous one, and the beer, well, they couldn't really stuff it up as it was pre-prepared in a bottle. The bill came to R88.

I am all for someone trying to make a living, but my experiences there were a little OTT.
    Fair comment

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    Doing the 7 passes road. Just after Karatara Pass at Barrington, turn left and drive up to Farleigh lookout point. You can see from Mosselbay to the Knysna heads on a clear day. After Homtini Pass. Turn left Toward Bibby's hoek, before Rheenendal and take the drive to Jubilee creek and Millwood mines. Still have a stampmill and some open pits, where they mined Gold. Have lunch or supper at Tottie's at Rheenendal behind the Garage.
    I am planing a slow trip from Durbanville to Baviaans and then return Prince Albert, Swartberg pas. I am trying to do this all on gravel/offroad. The info on this thread is valuable. My route at this stage is Durbanville - Greytown - Aguhlas - Heidelberg then gravel roads North of Heidelberg until it links up with the Seven passes road. I am still busy with the route further on to Baviaans and thereafter.

What I would like to know, is there camping sites along the 7 passes rout or any nearby.

Plan is to start mid August and return end September so it is a slow trip sightseeing is the main plan. My mode of transport is Hilux and Bush Lapa on tow.

Thanks.
    Ben

RY WAAR JY MAG MET PASSIE

2009 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D DC 4X4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2