Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Help with Sani Pass

Only 4x4s are allowed but lots of 4x2s have made it up and down. My FIL went up in his Pajero in dry weather and said that he never felt the need for 4x4. I went up and used 4LLc for the last bit, more out of environmental concern.

BUT if it is wet I will definitely not do it in a 2 wheel drive. In winter it is also definitely not recommended due to small streams icing over across the road making the road hazardous.
    Quote Originally Posted by marquesrodrigo View Post
    Hi guys I have a different question from what is being discussed here: I'm from Brazil living in SA for the past 10 years and only recently heard about the Sani Pass. I currently drive a 4x2 Ford Everest. Is this ok to drive up there with a 4x2? I've seen people getting there with sedans but I wanted to hear your opinion on this.

Cheers
    Last edited by Tom13; 2020/12/06 at 05:51 PM.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

For any one interested in going up the Sani and having lunch at the top or a beer. We went up this morning and got our COVID test at the South African border post. It cost R170 per person cash only and it is a rapid test with result in 5 minutes. Passed through both border post very quickly. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7515.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	599901Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7516.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	599902

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dickr For This Useful Post:

Any current update? We want to go up next week Saturday. I've heard that the Pub, lodge & shop at the top on Lesotho side is closed?

If so, we will only drive to before the Lesotho border post, have a picnic and then return?
    Stephan G

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post
    Any current update? We want to go up next week Saturday. I've heard that the Pub, lodge & shop at the top on Lesotho side is closed?

If so, we will only drive to before the Lesotho border post, have a picnic and then return?
    Anyone?
    Stephan G

Will try contact one of the guys that comes to mine via Sani tomorrow
    Jan van Zeeventer

2014 Duster 1.5DCi
    1988 110 CSW V8
    1961 S2 SWB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DiscoJan For This Useful Post:

Do I need an unabridged birth certificate if only going up and back? (Not going through the Lesotho post - too much effort with Covid tests etc for a two year old...)
    Stephan G

Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post
    Do I need an unabridged birth certificate if only going up and back? (Not going through the Lesotho post - too much effort with Covid tests etc for a two year old...)
    Yes, its a SA requirement. Was advised yesterday that Lesotho is not open for leisure travel, yet! Also you will need a Covid test to cross at SA border anyway.
    Freddie du Preez
    '97 Defender 90 2.8i (Lots of extras) (SOLD SADLY)
    1999 Disco II V8 Auto (SOLD)
    '07 Disco 3 TDV6 S
    08 Defender 130

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.
    William E. Gladstone

Just some feedback from last weekend:

- We did not need any Covid tests to just drive up the mountain and turn around below the Lesotho border post;
    - We were not asked for any documentation other than our passports (including for our 20 month old son);
    - We were required to complete a Covid questionnaire and have our temperatures taken at the SA border post;
    - The road is quite eroded in places and in its current state you definitely need a 4x4 with decent clearance.

I see it's snowing on Sani tonight, so all of he conditions will change again.

Here's a link to our trip report which covers our drive up Sani as part of Day 2:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...79#post4608579
    Stephan G

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

Allan Dell and I went up Sani and spent the night in Mokhotlong last weekend (weekend before Easter)
    The border crossing was easy. Paid R300 for a quick COVID test. The certificate that they give you lasts 72 hours.
    So we stayed over in Mokhotlong and came back the next day. No problem anywhere coming back, just one extra form to fill in.
    We chatted to a Home Affairs official at Sani Bottom, Paul Kok. He was super helpful and gave us all the info. that we needed.
    Incidentally, we chatted to a Doctor who was going up for the day. He had been vaccinated and when he showed his vaccination card, he was allowed through without any tests.
    The Pass is in nice condition, a little more vegetation closer to the road due to the minimal traffic over the past few months but it's a nice easy drive in a 4x4.
    Two wheel drive will make it on a dry day when there's no snow but really not good for the environment!!!!
    The temp in Mokhotlong was 3 degrees in the morning and when we got to Sani Top there was frost on the rooves of the huts.

The road is now tarred all the way from Himeville up to 4,5 kms from the SA border. In case you didn't know, the road from the top to Mokhotlong has been tarred for a couple of years now. Hope this is helpful.

I made a short video of the trip. You can watch it here https://youtu.be/jCUr7Fw36vQ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210328_082853.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	674.5 KB 
ID:	611036   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210328_083922.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	533.0 KB 
ID:	611037   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2176.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	611038   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2181.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	271.9 KB 
ID:	611039   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2211.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	371.6 KB 
ID:	611040   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2236.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	477.3 KB 
ID:	611041   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2261.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	611042   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210327_120929.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	432.1 KB 
ID:	611043  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210327_104822.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	340.2 KB 
ID:	611044  

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dave Robb For This Useful Post:

Hi Dave, and others.
    Is it R300 per person to test at the border?
    Is it a rapid test, and can it be done before hand? I would like to not do PCR testing through the nose if avoidable.
    Thanks for the pics and video.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BosveldBul For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BosveldBul View Post
    Hi Dave, and others.
    Is it R300 per person to test at the border?
    Is it a rapid test, and can it be done before hand? I would like to not do PCR testing through the nose if avoidable.
    Thanks for the pics and video.

Would also like to know as we have a trip coming up towards the end of April. Will be entering from Ficksburg. Is there a number one can call to confirm?

850 vs 300 is a big difference...
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HenkBogaards4WheelingSA
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

Hi Bogaards,
    I believe that they do both tests at the bottom but everybody just went for the R300 one. It's R300 per person.
    It is the rapid test but I'm sure that if you arrive with a certificate it would be fine.
    And yes, as you can see in the video... it's through the nose
    I'm sure there will be a number to call at Ficksburg but I don't have it.
    I also know that the easiest way to get into Lesotho (paperwork wise) is via Sani.
    Hope that helps

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Robb For This Useful Post:

I know the question has been asked many times before, and answered many times, but I would like to make sure nothing has changed.

Am I correct in saying that if I have a Covid test certificate under 14 days old, I can get into Lesotho?(& passport)

I have read the test must be done within 72 hours of going through the border, but have also seen some guys reporting that officials at the Sani Pass border(SA side) are telling them no tests are required??
    All very confusing....

Quote Originally Posted by macker View Post
    I know the question has been asked many times before, and answered many times, but I would like to make sure nothing has changed.

Am I correct in saying that if I have a Covid test certificate under 14 days old, I can get into Lesotho?(& passport)

I have read the test must be done within 72 hours of going through the border, but have also seen some guys reporting that officials at the Sani Pass border(SA side) are telling them no tests are required??
    All very confusing....
    The PCR test can be older than 72 hours to come into Lesotho, but needs still be within the 14 days when you leave. I have entered with a 4 day old test, but leave before the test is 14 days old.

Also depends on the officials on duty at both borders, one time they check carefully, but on the whole they can't be bothered anymore... but you can also do the quick test at the border, however, especially at Caledonspoort, there may be a longish que for these tests.
    Jan van Zeeventer

2014 Duster 1.5DCi
    1988 110 CSW V8
    1961 S2 SWB

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoJan View Post
    The PCR test can be older than 72 hours to come into Lesotho, but needs still be within the 14 days when you leave. I have entered with a 4 day old test, but leave before the test is 14 days old.

Also depends on the officials on duty at both borders, one time they check carefully, but on the whole they can't be bothered anymore... but you can also do the quick test at the border, however, especially at Caledonspoort, there may be a longish que for these tests.

Thanks Jan, very clear now.

At Sani they can only do a rapid test They can most likely sample for a PCR, that PCR results will only be available 24hr's. According to the regulations a rapid test is only valid for 24 hr's and is only applicable at Sani

At all the other boarder post thy only do screening ( rapid test according to the staff ) You got to come whit our PCR test to enter/exit (at caludons port I exited whit rapid test do there? )
    For tourists PCR is only valid 72Hr,s after issue
    For migrant workers is is valid for 14 day's

That all said it depend on the official on duty how he want's to interpret the regulations

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoJan View Post

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasie_Fourie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Robb View Post
    Allan Dell and I went up Sani and spent the night in Mokhotlong last weekend (weekend before Easter)
    The border crossing was easy. Paid R300 for a quick COVID test. The certificate that they give you lasts 72 hours.
    So we stayed over in Mokhotlong and came back the next day. No problem anywhere coming back, just one extra form to fill in.
    We chatted to a Home Affairs official at Sani Bottom, Paul Kok. He was super helpful and gave us all the info. that we needed.
    Incidentally, we chatted to a Doctor who was going up for the day. He had been vaccinated and when he showed his vaccination card, he was allowed through without any tests.
    The Pass is in nice condition, a little more vegetation closer to the road due to the minimal traffic over the past few months but it's a nice easy drive in a 4x4.
    Two wheel drive will make it on a dry day when there's no snow but really not good for the environment!!!!
    The temp in Mokhotlong was 3 degrees in the morning and when we got to Sani Top there was frost on the rooves of the huts.

The road is now tarred all the way from Himeville up to 4,5 kms from the SA border. In case you didn't know, the road from the top to Mokhotlong has been tarred for a couple of years now. Hope this is helpful.

I made a short video of the trip. You can watch it here https://youtu.be/jCUr7Fw36vQ
    I love that you did it in a Landy! Made me nostalgic for another road trip to Lesotho again!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3